Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #179: Dominion reaction video!!! #4 will SHOCK you  (Read 3114 times)

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #179: Dominion reaction video!!! #4 will SHOCK you
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2023, 04:39:09 pm »
+2

Frontier
$7 - Victory - Reaction

4 VP
-
When another player gains a card, you may discard this from your hand, to gain a card costing less than that card.

Frontier is Tunnel’s big brother.  Your opponent’s Province gain could let you expand your Frontier.  But beware; if they have Frontiers of their own, they can react to that gain, scoring Duchies.  And that’s just the possibilities involving Victory cards.  It uses wording modeled primarily after Duplicate.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2023, 05:27:12 pm »
+1

Trade Circle - Action Reaction, cost.
Choose one: gain a Silver; or trash a Silver from your hand for +.
-
When a non-Reaction card moves to your discard pile or onto your deck other than during Clean-up, if it wasn't gained, you may discard this to put it into your hand and get +1 Coffers.
Wordy! If a card moves to your discard pile or onto deck not through the automatic ways of gaining or Clean-up, the reaction can work. Change a sift or a top-deck setback into a Coffers, or put a Highwayman or Student from play or any exchanged card like Bat or Changeling into hand.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2023, 11:15:17 pm »
+5

Open Plains - $4
Victory - Reaction
2VP
----
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to gain 2 Horses.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2023, 11:37:33 pm »
+2

Open Plains - $4
Victory - Reaction
2VP
----
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to gain 2 Horses.

Considering that Experiment costs and Gold costs , I don't think this needs to cost more than Tunnel.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 12:08:38 am »
+2

This is far better than Tunnel.
You only want so many Golds whereas you always want as many Horses as possible.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2023, 03:15:18 am »

A vanilla Reaction! Can be a Copper or a Loot! Can protect you against junkers! Lets you buy a Grand Market using Coppers! Is this a good idea? Who knows! (though Hovel does already come close)

Note that the "would gain" phrasing is required to prevent repeated on-gain reactions.

Also, I would suggest getting rid of "would gain" and using the exchange mechanic instead, the way official cards do. Since exchanging is not gaining, that would also prevent repeated reactions.

Thinking about this more I'm concerned that switching to the exchange mechanic nerfs the card too much. Specifically:
  • You can no longer play multiple Barters against a single gain, making additional Barters act like dead cards
  • You can no longer discard a Barter to protect against gaining a Curse or Copper (though this is less big of a deal).
Furthemore, I slightly prefer triggering the on-gain reaction of the final, gained card. (And note that Possession still has a "would gain" reaction, while Trader had its for 9 years before being changed.)

Will stew on it for a bit...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:16:24 am by Udzu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2023, 12:34:47 pm »
+2

Open Plains - $4
Victory - Reaction
2VP
----

Considering that Experiment costs and Gold costs , I don't think this needs to cost more than Tunnel.

I was going to price it at $3 and only give 1 Horse. After I bumped it up to 2 Horses I also bumped up the price. The thought process is that unlike adding a Gold to your deck, adding 2 Horses helps increase the likelihood to collide Open Plains and a discard effect and retrigger the effect. This can be good fuel for an Engine.

Seguro also makes a good point that more Horses never hurts, more Gold can cause an engine to falter.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2023, 03:48:15 am »

A vanilla Reaction! Can be a Copper or a Loot! Can protect you against junkers! Lets you buy a Grand Market using Coppers! Is this a good idea? Who knows! (though Hovel does already come close)

Note that the "would gain" phrasing is required to prevent repeated on-gain reactions.

Also, I would suggest getting rid of "would gain" and using the exchange mechanic instead, the way official cards do. Since exchanging is not gaining, that would also prevent repeated reactions.

Thinking about this more I'm concerned that switching to the exchange mechanic nerfs the card too much. Specifically:
  • You can no longer play multiple Barters against a single gain, making additional Barters act like dead cards
  • You can no longer discard a Barter to protect against gaining a Curse or Copper (though this is less big of a deal).
Furthemore, I slightly prefer triggering the on-gain reaction of the final, gained card. (And note that Possession still has a "would gain" reaction, while Trader had its for 9 years before being changed.)

Thinking about this, the other "would gain" (Possession) has a problematic interaction here.

On Possessed turn, possessed player would gain Province
-- Barter and Possession trigger, resolve Barter first, reveal to gain Province
---- Possession and Barter trigger, resolve Barter first, reveal to gain Province
------ (any number of repetitions)
---- resolve Possession, possessing player gains Province
-- resolve Possession, possessing player gain Province

Essentially, whenever the possessed player would gain a card with Barter in hand, the possessing player can gain any number of cards of the same cost.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2023, 04:01:16 am »

Thinking about this, the other "would gain" (Possession) has a problematic interaction here.

On Possessed turn, possessed player would gain Province
-- Barter and Possession trigger, resolve Barter first, reveal to gain Province
---- Possession and Barter trigger, resolve Barter first, reveal to gain Province
------ (any number of repetitions)
---- resolve Possession, possessing player gains Province
-- resolve Possession, possessing player gain Province

Essentially, whenever the possessed player would gain a card with Barter in hand, the possessing player can gain any number of cards of the same cost.

Can Possession still resolve given that the possessed player no longer "would gain" the card and so you cannot gain it "instead"? Was this an issue with Possession and the pre-2020 Trader?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2023, 08:18:14 am »

Travelling Fair, now coming in card format in a Theater near you.

(Yes you can React multiple times.)

Can I play Treasures before revealing this?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2023, 11:11:29 am »

Travelling Fair, now coming in card format in a Theater near you.

(Yes you can React multiple times.)

Can I play Treasures before revealing this?

No, because then it would no longer be the start of your Buy phase.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2023, 01:20:21 pm »

Which, I mean, it does severely limits the card. Perhaps too much. I'm wondering about a version that triggers after you play a Treasure, to give more leverage. That sounds a bit more appealing.
Bottom text

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2023, 01:58:33 pm »
+3

24 Hour warning!

The following list is what I have rn, if yours is missing then let me know. Remember to edit your original post if you change your card.
Thrift Store - Augie279
Shifting Sands - weretheruler
Thresher - czzzzz
Gorgon - 4est
Attendant - LibraryAdventurer
Loggers - AJL828
Barter - Udzu
Spymaster - faust
WildeBeest - emtzalex
Sponsor - Builder_Roberts
Bunker - NomoreFun
Gold Lust - BryGuy
Bribery - X-tra
Cove - xyz123
Frontier - SignError
Trade Circle - Aquila
Open Plains - Xen3k
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 02:02:12 pm by LordBaphomet »
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2023, 08:55:57 pm »
+2

Harbor

Action - Reaction
+3 Cards
____
When you trash this, discard this (other than in Clean-up), or something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), +1 Villager. 

Notes: Inspired by Trail, which is such a well-designed card. I think it would have interesting interactions on most boards (though not as many as Trail itself!).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2023, 09:21:17 pm »

<Harbor>

I think that'll be super strong on boards with a lot of revealing and/or sifting.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2023, 11:06:47 pm »

<Harbor>

I think that'll be super strong on boards with a lot of revealing and/or sifting.

Revealing, quite possibly. But with sifting you typically want to discard your worse cards, not your actions with +3 Cards. Eventually it can be very strong with sifting, but you need to accumulate a lot of Harbors and other draw first. 

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2023, 04:20:50 pm »

The contest submissions period is over. Judging will be posted shortly. Thank you all for participating in my first weekly design contest (soon to be of many)!

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2023, 05:03:25 pm »

Whoops, I guess I had a little too much fun playing around with the AI-Art generation tools :p
I don´t expect this to get judged, since it is past the submission time. Thought I submit anyways, maybe someone has something to say about it, especially about the wording.

The concept was ready for a long time, just couldn´t decide on a theme and name for the card.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2023, 05:22:02 pm »
+7

Please note that I am a bad card designer and a worse dominion player. Judging will be based off of aesthetics and my arbitrary whims rather than general balance. One thing I noticed is that a lot of cards had "Trash a card from you hand / When a card is trashed..." or "Discard a card from your hand / When this is discarded" which does make both halves synergize, but in a rather clunky and overly blunt way. The only card in base to be able to trigger itself is Sleigh (don't quote me on this).

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901157#msg901157
Thrift Store by Augie
Interesting take on a reaction-farmland. Suffers from "trash a card / when this is trashed" and so it seems that the strategy with this is to exclusively buy thrift stores and then golds. Because it is a treasure, you can gain multiple provinces each turn as long as you have the thrift stores to support it, however this is balanced by the fact that you need a thrift store, a trasher, and a 6-cost in hand. A bit weak if anything.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901159#msg901159
Shifting Sands by Weretheruler
I don't really know what to say about this. There's no real precedent for messing with other people's decks other than with spy-style or rabble-style attacks. The whole point is to have VP that moves to the mat, similar to Island or Distant Lands. Island and Distant Lands both are actions so you can play them as soon as they turn up. However, this one is a reaction so you have to have this in hand AND wait for someone to shuffle which might not ever line up in a game. So you are stuck with a double estate in your deck until you get really lucky and then execute a very strange attack?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901167#msg901167
Ditch by Silverspawn
I don't get the reference. Moving on

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901174#msg901174
Thresher by czzzzz
Suffers from "Discard a card" / "when discarded". +3 cards, discard 2 cards is a terrible deal, meaning you are incentivized to use it to discard other Threshers unless one of those Hinterlands reactions is in the kingdom. On the other side, the reaction is an extremely powerful effect: a trash and an Action Phase scepter. I would try to balance the top and bottom a bit closer to each other. It seems that this card will be super swingy depending on if there is a discarder in the kingdom like warehouse, forum, oasis, etc.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901189#msg901189
Gorgon by 4est
Suffers from "Reveal a card" / "When revealed" but I am going to give this one a pass because revealing fits the Gorgon theme so well and is not the most common effect. If you want to give a curse upon revealing, you will need a top half or split pile to reveal it. I would suggest split pile because of my aversion to "Do X" / "When Xed". It still is a very flavorful card that might be a bit too swingy if anything. I like it anyways.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901190#msg901190
Attendant by LibraryAdventurer
This card isn't good. If you have one of them, you are getting a coffer and an effect. Two of them in hand, you are getting a coffer, a trashing, a coffer, and a horse; or 2 coffers and two effects; for an average per-card of a coffer and an effect (+1 bonus action). Seems like too low of a bonus for lining them up if anything. Maybe i'm missing something, idk

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901191#msg901191
Loggers by AJL828
I actually kind of like the effect on this one if you ignore the "trash a card" / "when a card is trashed" thing. Incentivizes you to have a variety of cards in play. If anything, I would somehow change this to allow treasures to be copied too.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901194#msg901194
Barter by Udzu
I really like this one. Making a pure reaction takes balls and this type of card would make for a great promo. The reveal is good for turning curses into copper, or peddlers into provinces. The discard can return a curse, but is otherwise useless: discarding a card after you buy a card is the same as playing a copper and just outright buying the more expensive card. The exile and trashing are great for province strategies. Overall, an amazing card.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901195#msg901195
Spymaster by faust
Reaction-Night gets bonus points too for being a new combo. It's pretty good just on its own as a kind of night trasher: a combo of ghost town and monastery. However, I like the reaction part. It only works if both players buy spymasters or a liason, coffer, or villager card is on the board. Nice of the reaction to replace itself too. However, if you are holding all of your cards, you can react with this forever. Holding all of your cards is a rare enough occurence however that I am letting this one slide as a funny combo. Also has funny interaction with possession.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901200#msg901200
Wildebeest by emtzalex
"Discard a card" / "When discarded". Also, for a 3-cost, this thing can draw your entire deck just by itself. I would price it up and then buff the draw.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901201#msg901201
Sponsor by Builder_Roberts
Another Patron variant, with the top part comparable to Gorgon. Tiny nitpick is that I don't like it when cards offer net +Cards and also +coins at the same time, which would happen here if you have two of these. Also, what happens if this is revealed with, for example, Bandit? Now your opponent draws a card, that's fine and all well just take the card I'm..... wait. I don't even know what the rules here would say. Do you draw the top of your deck that you are currently holding? Or the top unrevealed card?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901205#msg901205
Bunker by NoMoreFun
A Necropolis-Cellar that negates handsize attacks.... interesting. The reaction is useless against most attacks however (witches, messing with the deck, duration attacks, etc). The top part is a bit boring if anything and doesn't really match the bottom. I don't have much to say about this card...

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901210#msg901210
Gold Lust by BryGuy
Simple enough. A smithy that can be a lab or +buy if you have someting to discard. The bottom is a pirate variant. There isn't much cohesion between the halves since you probably won't be discarding golds to this. Also, I don't see the need to specify non-copper treasure. Seems like you are just removing interactions for no good reason unless I am missing something here

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901217#msg901217
Bribery by X-tra
Top and bottom aren't very related but the creative reaction more than makes up for it. Seems a bit weak since you need it to be in your hand to get the buy, and the top half isnt anything special

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901220#msg901220
Cove by xyz123
Only one person will be gaining these and they will be very sad that the other player will not engage in the coves. A funny card but seems like a bit of a trap: if one player has coves, the opponent won't buy them because they get free gains. However, once people are buying provinces, a dead card that gains golds and 5-costs doesn't seem that good.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.25
Frontier by SignError
An interesting card which makes the 7 cost work very well. Interacts in interesting ways with provinces and with itself. You wouldn't mind picking up one of these if you spike 7$ in the first few turns, and this also makes duchy dancing very interesting. I like it

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901222#msg901222
Trade Circle by Aquila
Seems worded in a bit of a strange way: why not say "when you discard a card or put a card on top of your deck"? The reaction is good but can't it loop with 3 of them? A reacts to something else and is discarded. B reacts to A and is discarded, A is put into your hand. C reacts to B and is discarded, B is put back into your hand. A reacts to C and is discarded, etc.etc. Unless that's not how things work... overall the reaction is a bit confusing.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901226#msg901226
Open Plain by Xen3k
A very powerful tunnel that costs 1 more but gives you 2 horses. Not much to say about this that hasn't already been said: the issue with tunnel is that gold is kinda sucky, but horses don't hurt your deck like gold can. You will take as many horses as you can deck.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901323#msg901323
Harbor by JW
A Trail clone that in my opinion misunderstands the beauty of Trail. Trail is not a cool card because it can react to all these different things, and is so versatile, etc. Trail is a good card because top the says +1/+1. A pure cantrip made good, that turns gainers and trashers-nonterminal. I guess this one does too, but in a slightly messier way.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21668.msg901357#msg901357
Fence by LTaco, a late submission but I am merciful
This one is really interesting. A cantrip(ish) that shuffles itself in for a copper, but you don't mind because its net +1 card +1 action.

Runners up in no particular order: Fence, Gorgon, Barter, Frontier by god knows who I'm not scrolling up again.
Winner: Spymaster, by Faust.
Congrats!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2023, 06:56:21 pm »

Thank you for the judging. Just wanted to add my two cents for my entry, Bribery.

The top and the bottom may seem unrelated, but they play an unspoken role together. Since this is a draw card, it can help you draw into more Briberies, where even if they are drawn dead, can still be safely used for their Reaction. You even hinted at the randomness of having such a card in your hand in your Buy phase to fire off said Reaction; the draw gets you there (as a sidenote, having a Reaction in hand in your Buy phase is less tough than triggering a Reaction at the start of your turn).
Bottom text

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2023, 07:50:20 pm »
+1

Thank you for the judging. Just wanted to add my two cents for my entry, Bribery.

The top and the bottom may seem unrelated, but they play an unspoken role together. Since this is a draw card, it can help you draw into more Briberies, where even if they are drawn dead, can still be safely used for their Reaction. You even hinted at the randomness of having such a card in your hand in your Buy phase to fire off said Reaction; the draw gets you there (as a sidenote, having a Reaction in hand in your Buy phase is less tough than triggering a Reaction at the start of your turn).
Ah I see.
Sorry about that!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2023, 03:04:52 am »

Thanks for the win!

New contest will be up shortly.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.