Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Gridiron  (Read 580 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Dominion: Gridiron
« on: February 12, 2023, 04:25:47 pm »
+4

In honor of the big game coming up in a couple of hours, here is a special fan exception. The main theme is the Roster mechanic (which was explained in Week 45 of the fan card mechanic contest). Most (but not all) of the Kingdom cards use the mechanic. The other thematic element is that each of the cards are the singular noun of the name of each team in the National Football League (NFL). Three of those names were already taken:

But I turned the other 29 team names into cards. It was a lot of cards, and I had to stretch for some, but I'm pretty happy with a lot of them. I also tried to use a number of fan mechanics. Here are the cards:

Chief • $4 • Action - Duration - Command - Roster
Now and at the start of your next turn, play a card costing up to $1 per Chief any player has in play (including this), from your Roster, leaving it there.

Eagle • $5 • Action - Command - Roster
+2 Cards
Discard a card. Play a card costing up to $1 per Roster card you have in play (counting this), from your Roster, leaving it there.

Bill • $3 • Action - Command - Roster
Freeze this up to 6 times. Play a card costing up to $1 per Ice token on this, from your Roster, leaving it there.

When you remove an Ice token from here, take {1}.

Dolphin • $4 • Action - Activation - Roster
+2 Cards

When you trigger this, play a card costing up to $1 per Dolphin you have in play, from your Roster mat, leaving it there.

Jet • $5 • Treasure - Duration - Roster - Command
Choose one: +$2; or add a token here per Jet you have in play, and at the start of your next turn, remove them and play a card costing up to $1 per token removed, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Patriot • $5 • Action - Command - Roster
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard a card. Play a card costing up to $1 more than it from your Roster, leaving it there.

Bengal • $4 • Action - Command - Roster
+2 Cards
Discard the top card of your deck. You may trash it to play a card costing less than it, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Brown • $3 • Action - Command - Roster
Choose one to play from your Roster, leaving it there: a card costing up to $2; or a card you haven't played this turn, costing exactly $1 more than one you have played this turn.

Raven • $4 • Action - Attack
+2 Cards
You may play a Raven from your hand.
If this is the third time you've played a Raven this turn, each other player gains a Curse.

Steeler • $4 • Action - Level - Command - Roster
Play a card costing up to $1 per level, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Setup: Each player puts a Level token here.

Colt • $6 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

During your turn, this costs $1 less per card you've trashed this turn.

Jaguar • $4 • Dawn - Night - Command - Roster
If it's your Night phase, trash a card other than this that you would discard from play this turn. Otherwise, play a card costing up to $1 per Jaguar you have in play, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Texan • $4 • Action - Attack - Command - Roster
Discard any number of cards. Each other player with at least 3 cards more than you in hand discards a card. Play a card costing up to $1 per card you discarded, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Titan • $6 • Action - Command - Roster
+5 Cards
Reveal your hand. Discard any copies of a card beyond the first. Play a card costing up to $1 per card discarded, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Bronco • $3 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
If you have more cards in your hand than you have Action cards in play, discard 2 cards.

Charger • $4 • Action - Command - Roster
+2 Cards
Discard any number of cards, at least one per Charger you have in play. Play a card costing up to $1 per card discarded, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Commander • $6 • Action - Command - Roster
Play two differently named cards, each costing up to $1 per Action card you have in play (counting this), in either order, from your Roster, leaving them there.

Cowboy • $4 • Action - Command - Roster
+$1
Reveal your hand. Play a card costing up to $1 per Action card revealed, from your Roster mat, leaving it there.

Bear • $5 • Action - Kin - Command - Roster
+4 Cards
Do this 4 times: You may play a non-Bear Kin card from your hand, and if you don't, discard a card.
Play a card costing up to $1 per Kin you have in play, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Lion • $7 • Action - Attack - Command - Roster
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action (or reveals they can't). You may reveal an Action from your hand to play a card costing less than it, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Packer • $4 • Action - Command - Roster
+$2
Play up to 2 Treasures from your hand. Then, pay up to $6 to play a card costing the amount you paid, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Viking • $5 • Action - Attack - Command - Roster
+$3
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card. Play a card costing less than the first card discarded, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Buccaneer • $5 • Action - Duration - Command - Roster
+3 Cards
Put a token on your Roster. Move any number of those tokens here. At the start of your next turn, remove them all to play a card costing up to $1 per token removed, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Falcon • $5 • Action - Reaction - Command - Roster
Reveal a card from your hand. Play a card costing up to $2 per type (Action, Attack, etc.) the revealed card has, from your Roster, leaving it there.

When any player gains a card with 2 or more types, you may play this from your hand.

Panther • $5 • Action - Command - Roster
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +1 Power per $1 it costs; or spend up to 6 Power to play a card costing up to $1 each, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Saint • $3 • Action - Command - Roster
Trash a card from your hand. Play a card costing as much as it or less, from your Roster, leaving it there.

49er • $4 • Action - Command - Roster
+1 Card
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's a Gold, gain a Gold to your hand. Otherwise, play a card costing less than it, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Ram • $4 • Action - Mount - Command - Roster
+$2

Mount: When you play a Ram, you may play a card costing up to $1 per Ram you have in play, from your Roster, leaving it there. Dismount when you gain a Treasure.

Seahawk • $4 • Action - Duration - Command - Roster
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, reveal your hand, then play a card costing up to $1 per Duration card revealed, from your Roster, leaving it there.

Let me know what you think.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Gridiron
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 12:40:07 am »

I think Colt and Bronco should be swapped.

(Also overall I'm impressed by the amount of work and attention you put into this, though I don't think I have any ability to evaluate the design of most of them.)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 03:16:02 pm »

I think Colt and Bronco should be swapped.

(Also overall I'm impressed by the amount of work and attention you put into this, though I don't think I have any ability to evaluate the design of most of them.)

Thanks for the feedback!!!

In terms of Colt/Bronco, the term "bronco" refers to a horse with a tendency to buck (lower its head and raise its backside while kicking out its back legs, generally in an attempt to throw off a rider). I wanted to represent the risk of being thrown off as the risk of having to discard, and the strength to stay on as the number of Actions you have in play. Thus, that design is Bronco.

A "colt" is just a term for a younger male horse. The Destrier-but-for-trashing is an idea I had anyway, and just applied to another kind of horse.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:06:13 pm »

I was thinking, Young Witch is like Witch but you have to discard, so Colt ( = Young Horse) should be like Destrier but you have to discard. Whereas a Bronco is harder to get under your control unless you "bust" it (by trashing cards).

But, you know, they're your cards, and overall I think the theming is very impressive, especially given the raw material you had to work with!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.