Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 57: Temp Worker (Non-Supply Remodeler)  (Read 720 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 57: Temp Worker (Non-Supply Remodeler)
« on: February 10, 2023, 07:45:09 pm »
+2

For the week 57 challenge I am challenging you to design a card shaped thing that interacts with a non-supply remodeler. As an example of what I am talking about, here is a design I made for a past Weekly Design Contest: Plot of Land and Temp Worker.

If you would like to use Temp Worker as your non-supply remodeler, feel free to use it and rename it as needed. If you would like to design your own non-supply remodeler, that is perfectly fine as well. I want to give you the freedom to design what you like, but I do have a few rules for the non-supply remodeler.

1) It must return itself to its pile after being played at some point. It doesn't have to be every time it is played, like Horse, but returning to its pile must be a feature.
2) It needs to be a true remodeler. It must trash a card you own and then you must gain a card. Don't want to limit the creativity any more than that.
3) It should be themed/designed in such a way that you can imagine multiple cards or card shaped things interacting with it, like Horses or Spoils.

That's it. So, the challenge; design a card shaped thing to interact with a non-supply remodeler (either Temp Worker or a design of your making). All official mechanics and fan mechanics are fair game. Please limit the number of components submitted to 3 at most. I will be judging based on my own preferences and the above criteria, but I will try to be as fair as I can. Factors I try to look at are simplicity of design, thought provoking design/mechanics, flavorful name/concept, and balance/playability.

I will be giving a 24 hour warning a week from yesterday and then close it the following day. I hope to have judging done and posted by the end of that weekend. I hope this deviation from the usual challenge where the custom mechanic (the non-supply card in this case) is not necessarily already designed is acceptable. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with! Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:46:54 pm by Xen3k »

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 57: Temp Worker (Non-Supply Remodeler)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 02:18:29 am »

Alright so hear me out

Instigator doesn't like to get his hands dirty, but he benefits from shady stuff going on. He cares about the Trash, thinks of himself as the manager of it.
Rascals just want to vandalize everything but they'll leave if you bribe them (even a Silver will suffice). When the Rascals leave, there's more room for fancy folk to come to your town.

Admittedly I'm not gonna get any points for simplicity...oh well.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 02:19:59 am by czzzz »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 03:34:00 am »

This card has a very serious (as, unlike Lurker, it is terminal) bootstrapping problem.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 01:08:44 pm »
+1

Kind Teacher
$5 Action - Duration
You may trash a card from your hand for +1 Card and gain a Temp Worker. If the trashed card costs $0, gain a Temp Worker.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +2 Villagers, +1 Buy.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:13:58 pm by BryGuy »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 02:52:30 am »
+1

I quite like the idea of a cantrip remodeling pile, to make them a bit like tokens:
Asset - Action, $0* cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may return this to its pile. If you do, trash a card from your hand, and gain a differently named card to your hand costing up to $1 more than that card.
$0 cost ensures they can't trash themselves, letting them be easier to get. Differently named stops pile-emptying that Transmogrify can do.
A Kingdom pile might be:
Bailiff - Action, $4 cost.
Trash this. If you do, gain 3 Assets.

Edit: made remodelling optional on Asset.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:34:01 pm by Aquila »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 03:37:17 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Sleight of Hand • Action • $5*
+1 Card
+1 Action
Return this to its pile to trash a card from your hand. Gain a card to your hand costing up to $2 more than it.

(This is not in the Supply.)

Master Thief • Action - Attack • $5
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it's an...
Action card, gain a Slight of Hand;
Treasure card, trash it;
Victory card, each other player takes Robbed.
Robbed • State
When you play a Treasure card costing more than $0, it does nothing, trash it, and return this.

My submission is Sleight of Hand, and the card used to gain it, Master Thief (plus the attacking state MT uses, Robbed). SoH is a cantrip remodeler, and in order to make it a true cantrip, you gain the remodeled card to your hand. Even for a one-shot, that's a pretty strong effect, so I didn't want to make it too easy to gain. Thus, MT is a $5 terminal draw/sifter, which can do a number of different things. It can gain a SoH (which requires discarding an Action, which may not be too punishing if you draw them dead), trash Treasures (usually Coppers) directly, or attack using Robbed, which effectively trashes a non-Copper Treasure from your opponent's hands, but does so indirectly using a State, which keep the attacks from stacking, and gives the player the chance to find a less valuable Treasure (generally a Silver) to be trashed (even if that Silver isn't in their initial hand, but they draw it later).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 12:09:47 pm »

24 Hour Warning

Closed
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 06:41:33 pm by Xen3k »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 09:50:32 am »
+2

Fan Card Mechanics Week 57: Temp Worker (Non-Supply Remodeler)
Thank you to those who entered this challenge! I’ll move right along to the entries.
Results

Investigator/Rascals by czzzz
Investigator - $3
Action
If the trash is empty, +$2.
Gain a card from the trash; if you did, gain a Rascals.
You may trash a Silver from the Supply or Exile a card from the trash.
Rascals - $3*
Night
Trash a card from your hand.
If it costs $2 or less, trash a Copper you have in play.
Otherwise, gain a card costing exactly $5 to the top of your deck, and return this to its pile.
Judgement
Starting with the non-supply card Rascals. It is either a reusable trasher if you only trash cheap cards, or a one shot Altar. I like that it is a Night card and all the effects are appropriate to make it an appealing non-supply card to aim for. I can see Rascals being used by other cards, but the effects are a bit powerful and the name is a bit limiting. Those aren’t bad, they would just be a challenge for someone to design a card that uses Rascals. I like it!
As for Investigator, gaining cards from the Trash can always be a dangerous prospect if there are other better trashers. Investigator does have its own method of seeding the trash with Silver, but that is optional and it can empty the trash twice as fast as seeding it. This means it will really be relying on Rascals to seed the trash more often than not, and Rascals will mainly be trashing Coppers and Estates. I do appreciate you get +$2 if the trash is empty. Over all, I’d have to test it out a bit more, but I have the impression that the gain from trash effect may result in self junking more often then not, or at least constantly trashing Coppers with Rascals and gaining them back with the Investigator. There is a cycle where you can gain Silvers from the trash, gain a Rascal with it, then remodel the Silver with the Rascal for a $5 cost card. That seems the best case scenario, which is an appealing one to me. Really good concepts.

Kind Teacher by BryGuy
Kind Teache - $5
Action - Duration
You may trash a card from your hand for +1 Card and gain a Temp Worker. If the trashed card costs $0, gain a Temp Worker.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +2 Villagers, +1 Buy.
Judgement
Kind Teacher uses the Temp Worker design, so we’ll go right to it. Being able to trash a Curse of Copper to get 2 Temp Workers seems pretty good. The +1 Card without a +Action is kinda awkward, but that is solved by the second part where it is basically a Workers Village with Villager. The Villagers do solve the awkwardness of the +1 Card on play, and it solves one of the biggest issues of Temp Worker, which is that it is terminal. I really like that you used Villagers in this way. I do think that it may be too strong over all. Being a Duration does mitigate this, but there is a lot Kind Teacher does, and getting 2 Temp Workers for trashing Junk is already very nice. Great design, but if you want all these effects it may be under priced.

Asset/Bailiff by Aquila
Asset - $0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may return this to its pile. If you do, trash a card from your hand, and gain a differently named card to your hand costing up to $1 more than that card.
Bailiff - $4
Action
Trash this. If you do, gain 3 Assets.
Judgement
Asset is a really clean and simple design. The wordiness is reasonable and makes sense. I can see many different designs incorporating this the same way Horse can be incorporated. Phenomenal design.
Bailiff is a simple single shot, Acting Troupe style Asset gainer. No issues here.
I would be interested in seeing what other designs can use Asset. Great work.

Sleight of Hand/Master Thief/Robbed by emtzalex
Sleight of Hand - $5*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Return this to its pile to trash a card from your hand. Gain a card to your hand costing up to $2 more than it.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Master Thief - $5
Action - Attack
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it's an...
Action card, gain a Slight of Hand;
Treasure card, trash it;
Victory card, each other player takes Robbed.
Robbed
State
When you play a Treasure card costing more than $0, it does nothing, trash it, and return this.
Judgement
Starting with Sleight of Hand, great name. The design is quite a bit more powerful then Asset. This will make it harder to just throw gaining one into a design. No complaints about the design, but it does not prevent piling out a card by trashing something and gaining a copy of the trashed card.
Master Thief is doing a lot, but it is broken down into very digestible parts. I like that it is just discarding cards for effects. This makes the remodeling of Sleight of Hand more significant. Trashing the treasure is mainly to Copper trash, which is fine. I like that the attack requires you to have Victory cards. This creates a choice on whether you want to remodel your VP cards or hold onto them to attack. However, this will make the attack more ubiquitous at late game when greening.
This lead to the State Robbed. This is a strong attack. Being a State means it does not stack, but also means it will never miss. Master Thief lets you get rid of Coppers pretty easily, so if all players get Master Thief the late game will involve a lot of Silver trashing. If there is no easy way to gain Silvers this could be a brutal end game. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Really great design.

I really appreciate everyone that participated! With only four entries I’ll go straight to the winner. Hope you had fun!

Winner
Asset/Bailiff by Aquila

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 03:56:49 pm »
+1

Thanks for the win and the contest Xen3k. I think for this next contest I'll go with something I've tried quite a lot. Just putting the post up now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.