Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #177: Groundhog Day  (Read 2866 times)

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
Weekly Design Contest #177: Groundhog Day
« on: February 03, 2023, 11:55:20 am »
+4

For this week's theme I'd like you to make a card in some way connected to Groundhog Day, whether the holiday or the film - this could be a card representing a Groundhog or an event called Groundhog Day, it could be a card that does the same thing repeatedly, or even indefinitely (for instance Hireling would certainly count, drawing a card every day turn), it could be a way to get extra turns, or it could be some more esoteric approach to the concept.

Please submit your entries by 23:59 GMT on Thursday the 9th of February - I will try and review them the following day.

I will review on two entirely arbitrary criteria: How much does it feel connected to Groundhog Day, and how much would I like to see it in a kingdom.

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #177: Groundhog Day
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 01:10:21 pm »
+3

I guess it's kind of the opposite of the movie, since you want to be stuck in the loop and you pay to stay in it. Anyways it's sort of like Prince (except you can switch which Action you're playing and stuff), but only loops conditional on the "unspent" thing from Wine Merchant.
Do you think the WM penalty enough that I can lower the price to ?

Edits: Cleaner/better wording suggestion from Gubump
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 06:21:27 pm by czzzz »

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 01:21:40 pm »
+5

Old:

Modified:

Rather simple:
Do it again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:38:14 pm by LTaco »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 01:22:45 pm »
+2

I guess it's kind of the opposite of the movie, since you want to be stuck in the loop and you pay to stay in it. Anyways it's sort of like Prince (except you can switch which Action you're playing and stuff), but only loops conditional on the "unspent" thing from Wine Merchant.
Do you think the WM penalty enough that I can lower the price to ?

This wording doesn't really work because the fact that it sets itself aside prevents it from being discarded from play. I would suggest this wording:
Set aside a non-Duration Action card you have in play costing up to . At the start of your next turn, play it.
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least unspent, replay this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:25:32 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 01:23:53 pm »
+5

Rather simple:
Do it again.

This can loop infinitely. Usually won't matter, but it can give you infinite and Buys with Adventures tokens.

To elaborate, you can play an Action card using Day of the Groundhog (henceforth DoG for short), then the next time you play an Action, use DoG on the first play of it so the next play becomes 2, then use DoG for the next play so you still have 2 plays left, ad infinitum.

You could fix this issue by simply saying "the next time you play an Action card from your hand this turn, replay it afterwards."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:26:26 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 01:51:43 pm »
+2

So discarding and discounting most of your deck does not seam like too much fun, so instead i'll try this. Since they are gathered from the discard instead, i removed the discarding to eliminate loops. To keep it at $5 i had to either remove a +Card or +$1 and i'd rather the extra card to mitigate drawing junk. I also like that this is fewer words.
Repeater
$5 Action
+2 Cards, +1 Action; Reveal all Repeaters from your discard and put them in your hand.

Previous post:
Here is a shot to have something like the movie that repeats.

Anyone have thoughts on the price? Seams like a strong $5, but a very week $6. I keep going back and forth on the price. Upon review of the Peddler variants, maybe $5 is fine. :)

Repeater
$5 Action
+2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1; Discard a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Repeater, put it in your hand, replace the rest in any order put one revealed card back, discard the rest.
[/size]

You should be able to get all of these every time you start with one in your hand. I added an extra card along with a discard to cycle through junk you may accumulate. I had a player put the revealed cards back instead of discarding both for the synergy, but also to prevent a player from just cycling though their whole deck too quickly. The "any order" was to synergize with the next potential card draw from a subsequent Repeater.
Update: changed it to just one card back to avoid organizing your whole deck. :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:52:45 am by BryGuy »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 01:53:05 pm »
+4

It's recursive until you want it not to be.
Bottom text

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 02:24:54 pm »
+2

Anyone have thoughts on the price? Seams like a strong $5, but a very week $6. I keep going back and forth on the price. Upon review of the Peddler variants, maybe $5 is fine. :)

Repeater
$5 Action
+2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1; Discard a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Repeater, put it in your hand, replace the rest in any order.

You should be able to get all of these every time you start with one in your hand. I added an extra card along with a discard to cycle through junk you may accumulate. I had a player put the revealed cards back instead of discarding both for the synergy, but also to prevent a player from just cycling though their whole deck too quickly. The "any order" was to synergize with the next potential card draw from a subsequent Repeater. :)

When you play your final Repeater of the deck, you put the whole remainder of your deck back in any order, no matter how many cards that is.

Is that intended?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:26:04 pm by Kingreaper »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 02:52:02 pm »

It's recursive until you want it not to be.

"Until you gain a Treasure on your turns" sounds awkward if you ask me. I'd word it "until you gain a Treasure during your turn..."

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 02:59:24 pm »
+2

Punxsutawney Phil
Action
$4

+1 Action

Name a card, then reveal the top card of your deck. If you named it, either put it in your hand, discard it or trash it, then +1 Card

- I decided to name the card after the groundhog himself. As it is supposed to be predicting the future, I choose to make a Wishing Well/Mystic variant.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 03:08:20 pm by xyz123 »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 03:22:58 pm »
+2

Déjà Vu - $7
Night
If this is the first time you played a Déjà Vu this turn, +1 Buy, trash this, gain a Gold, discard your hand, and set aside all non-Duration cards you have in play. Return to your Action phase and play each set aside card in any order.

Had a great turn? Take it again! I am sure the card text can be cleaned up to stop loops and such, but this is the general idea in plain text. Will likely update it when I have more time. If anyone has suggestions, I appreciate all feedback.

Edit: Alright, changed the text a bit. Now returns you to the start of your turn instead of giving you another turn. I added in setting aside the cards that would be played again to prevent any weird interactions not doing so may cause.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:23:15 pm by Xen3k »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 03:55:03 pm »
+6

I'm leaning heavily into the flavor this week haha, let's try this one. Groundhog looks at your opponent's hand to check if he "sees his shadow" or not. If he does, well, that means six more weeks of winter, so he goes back into his hole (via recursive topdecking of course) and Exiles something for good measure. If your opponent's hand is cloudy and Groundhog-shadow-free, he stays out for some good old springtime Peddlerin'. Either outcome is pretty nice for a $3, however not having control over it can make playing this a bit of a gamble. Also, be careful, the Exile from hand is mandatory--winter can be brutal sometimes.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 04:05:15 pm »

Repeater
$5 Action
+2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1; Discard a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Repeater, put it in your hand, replace the rest in any order.

You should be able to get all of these every time you start with one in your hand. I added an extra card along with a discard to cycle through junk you may accumulate. I had a player put the revealed cards back instead of discarding both for the synergy, but also to prevent a player from just cycling though their whole deck too quickly. The "any order" was to synergize with the next potential card draw from a subsequent Repeater. :)

When you play your final Repeater of the deck, you put the whole remainder of your deck back in any order, no matter how many cards that is.

Is that intended?

Yes, largely since i thought the other option of discarding would be more of an issue. In that case once the player got one Repeater, they would zip through their deck to repeat the process over and that kind of cycling seamed too good.  :)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 05:07:12 pm »

No idea what this replace thingy means. But on the first glance this looks strictly better than Lab.

czzzz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 06:06:52 pm »
+1

No idea what this replace thingy means. But on the first glance this looks strictly better than Lab.
I was tripped up at first but I think it's just "return the rest to the top of your deck in any order".

Repeater
$5 Action
+2 Cards in addition to digging up another Repeater if you have one, so +2-3 Cards per play
It does discard one card (needs to say "discard a card from your hand" if I'm not mistaken)(I was mistaken).
It's strictly better than Peddler and arguably better than Lab... especially as you accumulate more of them.
BryGuy, I agree with your assessment that it's strong at but perhaps underwhelming at -- I recommend pushing it a little in whichever direction you're envisioning for it. Cool card though; non-terminal drawing and sifting and coin, and it draws itself. Who could ask for more?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:12:07 am by czzzz »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 06:49:43 pm »
+2

Double up: play everything, again!
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 07:00:59 pm »
+2

I was tripped up at first but I think it's just "return the rest to the top of your deck in any order".

Repeater
$5 Action
+2 Cards in addition to digging up another Repeater if you have one, so +2-3 Cards per play
It does discard one card (needs to say "discard a card from your hand" if I'm not mistaken).
It's strictly better than Peddler and arguably better than Lab... especially as you accumulate more of them.
BryGuy, I agree with your assessment that it's strong at but perhaps underwhelming at -- I recommend pushing it a little in whichever direction you're envisioning for it. Cool card though; non-terminal drawing and sifting and coin, and it draws itself. Who could ask for more?

Discarding is implicitly from your hand. It doesn't need to say "from your hand."

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 08:39:36 pm »
+3

Another "do it again" card

Golden Flute
$3 - Action
If this isn't the first time this turn you've played this card, +1 Card.
Choose one: +1 Action and +$1, or Discard a card to replay the previous Action card you played this turn that's still in play.

FAQ: The first line refers to this specific card, not a copy of this card.

A throne variant that can turn into a peddler if you use it on itself.
(Could this cost $2?)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:37:16 am by LibraryAdventurer »

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 09:17:55 pm »
+4

Initiate
$5 - Action - Duration - Attack

+1 Card

At the start of Clean-up, you may reveal a Curse from your hand. If you do not, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise, at the start of your next turn, +1 Action and put this into your hand.

Initiate tells the story of a new magic user.  She starts out as rather ineffective Witch, but after feeling the sting of another Witch’s Curse, she can change her ways (much like Phil Conners) and turn to the side of good, in this case becoming a Lab of sorts.

It’s all thanks to the conditional Duration effect modeled after Conjurer, but this time coming with a free Action.  The overall effect of continuously playing Initiate is comparable to that of Hireling, but much like Alchemist and Potion, you need to draw a Curse each turn to keep things going.  Otherwise, you could end up with a bunch of Ruined Libraries in your deck. In that sense, it is mechanically similar to Taskmaster, with some differences.  For example, Initiate is a better target for Adventures' vanilla bonus tokens.

I took inspiration from Donald X.’s Cultist retrospective and made it so that each play of Initiate can either junk or set up the Duration effect, but not both. Players can choose to not reveal a Curse when they have it.  The Duration effect has the added advantage of allowing you to play more powerful terminal draw first in hopes of getting villages before playing the Initiate again.  You can even use the extra terminal space on terminal payload instead of playing Initiate, but doing so sacrifices the Duration effect for the next turn, assuming the game doesn’t end before then.

Edit: Encampment uses "do not" instead of "did not."  While that's super minor, I switched things to make it more in line with that official card wording.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:08:34 am by SignError »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 02:08:46 am »
+3

Way of the Groundhog
Way
Reveal your hand. If it contains a copy of this, +6 Actions and ignore any further +Actions you get this turn. Otherwise, +$1.

I got a little silly with it, but I think the theming with the weather lore is fun.

czzzz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 02:16:42 am »
+1

Golden Flute
$3 - Action
If you this isn't the first time this turn you've played this card, +1 Card.
Choose one: +1 Action and +$1, or Discard a card to replay the previous Action card you played this turn that's still in play.[/size]
(Could this cost $2?)
Cool card  :) I think if it can replay Duration cards it shouldn't need to go down to -cost

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 08:29:47 am »
+2

How about avoiding the negative?

"At the start of Clean-up, you may reveal a Curse from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +1 Action and put this into your hand. Otherwise, each other player gains a Curse."

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 12:02:24 pm »
+6

Set up your engine pieces for next turn, guaranteed! Hope you can afford that cost though.

<Originally was an extra turn Event that cost $7. Even with that cost, probably still a bit powerful.>
they/them

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2023, 12:58:24 am »

How about avoiding the negative?

"At the start of Clean-up, you may reveal a Curse from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +1 Action and put this into your hand. Otherwise, each other player gains a Curse."

That is something I considered.  Every official Duration card positions any effects that happen only on the turn your play the card before the effects that happen later.  So while the negative isn't ideal, I think it's the lesser of two evils when compared to having Duration effects before normal effects.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 01:48:49 am »
+5

Grinder
$5 - Treasure

+$5
This turn, you can't buy cards you don't have copies of in play.
Keep focusing on the same cards over and over until it's time to break out of the loop, but be aware that grinding is a bad habit... you'll definitely need another source of money from somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:50:26 am by Violet CLM »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.