Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 56: With Great Power  (Read 1183 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 56: With Great Power
« on: January 31, 2023, 02:00:26 pm »
+3

For Week 56, I'm introducing a new mechanic, Power. The mechanic is (I hope) both simple and broad, as is the task:

Design a card or landscape that uses the Power mechanic.

Power is a mechanic that strengthens (or weakens) Kingdom cards (or non-Supply cards or landscapes). Power is a changing, individualized property that is specific to a card (or set of cards) and a player. It is somewhat similar to my Level mechanic, but without the ability to increase it by buying the card. Rather, Power is increased or decreased by the operation of card/cards/landscape, and it also has an impact on how they function.

The easiest way to illustrate this is with an adaptation of an official card (now retired, from Seaside 1E), Pirate Ship, to use the mechanic:

Pirate Ship • $4 • Action - Attack
Choose one: +$1 per Power; or
each other player reveals the
top 2 cards of their deck,
trashes one of those Treasures
that you choose, and discards
the rest, and then if anyone
trashed a Treasure +1 Power.

Rules FAQ:
  • Power can be increased ("+X Power"), decreased ("-X Power"), counted (e.g. "+1 Card per Power"), compared (e.g. "If you have at least 3 Power..." or "... costing up to $1 per Power"), or spent ("spend X Power" which, by rule, can only be done if you have X Power to spend).
  • Power is specific to a card or set of cards. So, if two unrelated Power cards appear in the same Kingdom, gaining Power for one does not gain Power for the other. However, the Power for multiple cards/landscapes can be linked by design.
  • Power is also specific to each player.
  • Each player's Power for each design starts at zero, unless the card specifies otherwise.
  • I am open to the possibility of negative power; if you have a way for power to be lost, please clarify if it can go below zero.

For your design, feel free to use any number of supporting cards/landscapes. If you do, I will presume that all of the cards share Power unless you specify otherwise.

Because this mechanic is so broad, I was tempted to require using another fan mechanic. To keep the design options open, I won't, but I will strongly encourage you to use at least one other fan mechanic. Also, as usual, I have additional, ramble-y thoughts on the mechanic, which I will put in a second post.

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors for me are:
  • balance -- is the card useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms);
  • playability -- the card is fun to play and works in more than one type of deck;
  • simplicity -- this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is hard to understand;
  • topicality -- the card (or cards or landscape) uses the mechanic in an interesting way;
The deadline for submissions will be 19:00 UTC / 2:00 p.m. Eastern/Forum time on Tuesday, February 7, 2023. Please let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:39:39 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 56: With Great Power
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 02:35:43 pm »

Additional thoughts post.

Why the mechanic?

The first and most obvious question is, why should the mechanic exist? As illustrated by Pirate Ship, each of these designs could simply have a mat that the player could put tokens on to track this trait. While this is true, I think the dropping of Pirate Ship from 2E also illustrates why the mechanic is (potentially) worth having. It's both impractical and wordy to have a separate, named mat for each player for a single card design (especially if you wanted to do this for multiple cards) and to describe tokens coming on and off those cards. Using a single word can significantly cut down on wordiness (although Pirate Ship's attack leaves it pretty wordy). And making it into a mechanic can allow a single method for tracking different designs.

Tracking Power, and using it across multiple cards

Although I mainly play online, one thing I thought about is how Power would be tracked in IRL games. The way I would envision this working is that there would be some kind of board/mat for tracking, with tokens corresponding to the player and the card/cards/landscape. For example, the tokens from the modified Pirate Ship would look like this:

(Sorry for rough image, I mocked this up quickly.)

The mat would have spaces for different numbers, counting as high as the cards practically needed to go. The mechanic would not be limited by the design, so if a player exceeded the level of the mat, they could find some way to indicate as much and keep counting (e.g. if the mat had 20 spaces, put a coin token on their token to indicate +20 and start counting over again). As I mentioned above, I haven't decided if it is possible to go negative, but if it were there could either be spaces for a negative number or a way to track that.

To maximize the flexibility of the mechanic, you can put a single card's image on the token, or put on images for multiple cards, or put on the image of a randomizer. Thus, a design using a mechanic to include multiple cards (e.g. a split pile or Pair cards from Week 29) you could have them use a single Power token (with an image of both) or two, separate tokens (one with each image). If you did the former, you could have one card give power and the other card use. With the latter, you could have two, completely separate Power cards.

Indeed, you could a single Power token for any number of cards/landscapes, including: a Traveller line; 4-card rotator pile (from Allies); a mixed Supply pile (like Castles or Knights); a card (or landscape) and it's Heirloom/Heritage card; a card (or landscape) and the non-Supply card(s) it gains; or a mixed non-Supply pile like Prizes (from Cornucopia) or Loot (from Plunder).

In theory, you could even have a Power token shared by cards/landscapes with different randomizers, so they wouldn't always be in the game together. This would be tough, as the designs would have to be balanced in the presence of any combonation of them, but it is at least possible.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 03:18:54 pm »
+2

Hope this OK as a formulation with Power would be too wordy ("When you gain or Exile a Dwarf King, +1 Power. When you trash or pass a Dwarf King, -1 Power.")

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 04:14:19 pm »
+1

Hope this OK as a formulation with Power would be too wordy ("When you gain or Exile a Dwarf King, +1 Power. When you trash or pass a Dwarf King, -1 Power.")

Yes, the formulation is fine. I like this additional use of Power tokens--tracking things about the game not obvious from the game state in front of the players.
he/him/his

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 04:33:48 pm »
+1

I think i might use a die to keep track of power levels. Maybe a different size die for each card that uses Power.  :)

Super Bow
$5 Action
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Super Bow Power; You may trash a card from your hand. If it does not cost $0, +1 Super Bow Power. If Super Bow Power is more than 1, take Swift Arrow, otherwise return Swift Arrow.

Swift Arrow
Artifact
During your Action phase, you may do this up to thrice: use 1 Super Bow Power to choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Buy and $1. You may use 2 Super Bow Power for +1 Card and +1 Action and +1 Buy.

I'm mostly using the Artifact to avoid the card being too wordy, but only the Active player really needs it anyway and it also works as an aid to know when you can use the Power. I specified the card's Power by name to avoid confusion when there are many cards using Power in the Kingdom at once.  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:26:49 pm by BryGuy »

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 04:39:11 pm »
+2

To ensure it isn't just a cheaper Baker, it takes a few plays to get it going. After that, if you spend your Coffers frequently you won't even notice the limit; if you like to hoard Coffers then you'll have to go all in on them.

Edit: Whoops, even if it's just one, it's still +Coffers
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 04:42:23 pm by czzzz »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 01:47:49 am »
+2

I think Sinister Plot does this pretty elegantly without a keyword. Regardless, here's my submission:

Way of the Pufferfish
Way
Choose one: +1 Power, or spend all your Power for +2 Cards per Power spent.

Or with SPlotty wording:
Way of the Pufferfish
Way
Choose one: Add a token here, or remove your tokens here for +2 Cards per token removed.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 02:22:59 am »
+2

Frontersmen : Action : $3
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Card per Power.
-
When you gain this, you may return it to its pile for +1 Power.

Upgradeable Action. works great with gainers.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:26:34 am by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 01:47:31 pm »
+4

Remember to turn your Smithy into a Duchy before the game ends.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 05:31:25 pm »
+2

Good old tfb again:
Chronicle - Treasure, $4 cost.
You may trash a card from your hand for +1 Power per $1 it costs. If you have the most Power or tied most, you may get +1 Coffers and +1VP for -1 Power.
I guess we can go down to -Power here? It will be an unusual game if someone doesn't trash an Estate in the opening, so it shouldn't go infinitely down.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 02:00:06 pm »

24 Hour Warning!!!

Here are the entries I have so far:

Dwarf King by segura
Super Bow with Swift Arrow by BryGuy
Duelist by czzzz
Way of the Pufferfish by Will(ow|iam)
Frontersmen by Builder_Roberts
Nature Preserve by Violet CLM
Chronicle by Aquila

Please let me know if I missed any or have linked to the wrong version.
he/him/his

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 11:14:02 pm »
+2

Go-Getter - $3
Action
+1 Power
Choose a different thing per 2 Power (round up): Discard a Card; gain a Copper; gain a Curse.
Choose a different thing per Power: +2 cards; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$2; -2 Power; trash 2 cards from your hand.

Choose draw back then choose benefit. Scales with power.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:46:16 pm by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 02:00:18 pm »
+1

Contest closed

Here are what I have as all of the entries:

Dwarf King by segura
Super Bow with Swift Arrow by BryGuy
Duelist by czzzz
Chronicle by Aquila
Go-Getter by Xen3k

Please check to make sure your entry is here, and let me know if I missed any or have linked to the wrong version. I will try to get the judging completed in the next day or two.
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 03:44:10 am »
+4

Fan Card Mechanic Contest #56: With Great Power

Thanks for the submissions. I appreciate the different uses of the mechanic and the various designs.

Dwarf King • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
Discard a Treasure card (or reveal that you cannot).
If you own the most Dwarf Kings, gain a Loot.

Dwarf King by segura

First off, I appreciate the alternative use of Power tokens/mat to track the state of things that are not obvious from looking at the face of the game. It opens up a whole different design space.

As for Dwarf King, there are effectively two "versions" of it as it is played: One where you gain Loot, and one where you don't. The latter version is pretty terrible. From a net card perspective, it's effectively a Moat, but the discarding requirement is particularly punitive. Not only can you not discard natural dead cards (Victory and Curse), you also can't discard Actions you draw dead, and you can't combo DK with on-discard Reactions. And while most of the time (absent strong trashing) you will be able to discard Copper, it's still regularly going to be worse than a Moat (when the 3rd card you draw is a dead card). Playing it when you have the most DKs is still bad in the short term, but the fact that it gains you a very strong Treasure card is super valuable.

My concern is that this card is going to be super singularizing. This is especially true if the Loot is the only potential source of +Buy or trashing. In that case, you can't just let your opponent grab 3 of these and start gaining a ton of Loot cards. (This may not be true; I would want there to be some play testing to see if you could viable compete with a DK deck with other strategies). Thus, the presence of the card forces the players to rush the card, sidetracking the game while they go try to win the split. In a 2 player game, if one player wins it (6-4), they not only have 6 really strong Loot gainers, their opponent is stuck with 4 terrible terminal draw/sift cards. If their even, they both have 5 terrible cards, which slows the game down more. In games with multiple players, it may be more viable for one player to forgo the strategy as the others battle it out. But when 3 players are going for it, there's a strong risk of a 4-3-3 split.

It's an interesting idea, and I appreciate the use of the mechanic and of Loot, but I think it'll end up being too determinative of the outcome of too many games.

Also, on a copy editing/syntax note, the term "own" isn't really a term of art in Dominion (as I recall, it was in M:tG back when I played years ago). The closest term in Dominion is "have", which gets used in the context of scaling Alt-VP.

Super Bow
$5 Action
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Super Bow Power; You may trash a card from your hand. If it does not cost $0, +1 Super Bow Power. If Super Bow Power is more than 1, take Swift Arrow, otherwise return Swift Arrow.

Swift Arrow
Artifact
During your Action phase, you may do this up to thrice: use 1 Super Bow Power to choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Buy and $1. You may use 2 Super Bow Power for +1 Card and +1 Action and +1 Buy.

I don't know if you read my follow-up post on this topic, but part of the point of the mechanic is so you don't have to specify which Power count it is on a card. I'm not counting that against you, but I don't think you need to specify.

I don't fully understand how this works. Specifically, it's not clear to me when one can use Swift Arrow's second ability ("You may use 2..."). Is it's only after spending 1 on the other power (i.e. is it part of the "you may do this up to thrice:" ability)? Or is it at any time? It's unclear, and changes how strong the card is.

Even without that, Super Bow is extremely strong. It's always, at minimum, a cantrip + optional trasher, which would, by itself, be pretty strong. It's probably too weak to be a $5, but it's almost certainly too strong to be a $4. But, assuming you only spend 1 Power after gaining a power, then starting the second time you play it (or starting the first, if you trash an Estate/Shelter), it's a choice of Lab or Market. Given that both of those are $5 cards, a card that can be either is strictly better than both, and much too strong at $5 (before the optional trashing). This isn't quite that strong, because you are limited to 3 plays of Lab-or-Market per turn. But, if you play more, you get just the cantrip, and can save the Lab-or-Market for later turns on which you play fewer than 3 SBs.

You also mentioned using the Swift Arrow to make the card less wordy. However, that's not the only thing that does. First, if your opponent doesn't play SB, you hold on to SA, and the extra Power that you don't get to spend on your turn can be spent even without playing an SB. It also allows you to play things in-between SB and SA; for example, you could play a village, play a few SAs (trashing any junk), play Tactician (discarding your hand), then use SA to draw more cards and continue your turn. You could do something similar with Minion or Scholar. While these are somewhat edge cases, they make an already too strong card even stronger.

The idea of this has potential, but the card itself is way overpowered.

Duelist • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have at least 2 more Power than Coffers, +1 Coffers.
The player to your left reveals the top card of their deck. If this card costs more, +1 Power.

Duelist by czzzz

I like the use of the Power mechanic here a lot, both how it's increased (a nice take on Chariot Race) and what it does. The first Power makes Duelist into (effectively) a peddler (since you generally won't want to risk not getting paid), and each subsequent Power increases the number of Coffers you can hold over without risking a Duelist failing. (Of course, with the new rules for Coffers, you could hold them over, then turn them to Coins right before playing your Duelist).

I definitely like this as part of the nerfed-peddler-for-less-than-$5 genre (along with Poacher and Merchant). A really solid entry. 

Way of the Pufferfish
Way
Choose one: +1 Power, or spend all your Power for +2 Cards per Power spent.

The obvious comparison here is Way of the Otter, as each play using this for +Power will eventually result in +2 Cards. There are two disadvantages as compare to WotO: (1) you need to use an extra play to "cash out" your stored +Power; and (2) you get the increased handsize and (hopefully) increased buying capacity on a later turn, meaning you won't be able to hit the higher price point until a later turn, meaning your deck won't be (more) improved until later (this is especially true if you miss a shuffle). However, those drawbacks are more than made up for by the advantages. Most importantly, terminal draw pairs well with villages, but combining the two risks getting the terminal draw first and drawing the villages (or other term draw) dead. With WotP, you can store the +Cards until you have 2 villages (or a village and a weak Action) in hand, then always play the actual +Cards non-terminally. Still, I don't think it's too strong, since the cost to charge is (at the time) playing a card totally dead.

You said:
I think Sinister Plot does this pretty elegantly without a keyword. Regardless, here's my submission:

I would note that with Sinister Plot, there's an obvious place for the tokens to go: namely, on SP itself (which stays were it is and doesn't move). Also, with SP players will have their Project cube already on there, which makes it easier to track whose tokens are whose when multiple players have tokens there. Those cubes aren't used with Ways, and weren't in Menagerie (neither were tokens), so they won't be there as they would in Renaissance. Of course, this is also a reason the Power mechanic might not be as good a fit with most landscapes as it would be with Kingdom cards (which don't really have a great place for tokens to go).

Frontiersmen : Action : $3
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Card per Power.
-
When you gain this, you may return it to its pile for +1 Power.

This design is most similar to the Level mechanic from Week 15 (which I know was before you started posting on these boards). With that mechanic, when you buy a Level card, you can choose to add a Level instead of gaining it. Your design is even stronger, because (1) it can be done with gainers, and (2) even when you are powering it up, you still gain the Frontiersmen, meaning you'll get bonuses from things like Academy, Collection, and Merchant's Guild. It's not a huge advantage, but it is a problem on what is already a very strong card.

Directly scaling +Cards is a tricky proposition (especially with non-terminal cards) as the strength of the cards escalates so rapidly with each added card it draws. Frontiersmen is an excellent example of this. At 0 Power, it's significantly worse than a $2 Candlestick Maker; at 1 Power, it's a $3 Market Square without the Reaction; at 2 Power, it's strictly better than a $5 Laboratory; at 3 Power, it's a double Lab with +Buy, which is a card so strong it will probably never exist. And it isn't hard to keep making it even stronger from there. Put another way, to turn a Market Square into a $3 +Buy Lab with Pathfinding, you need to hit $8 (and therefore forgo a Province). To make Frontiersmen into a $3 +Buy Lab, you need only spend $3 twice, a much lower opportunity cost.

There is a bit of strategic tension as the pile gets lower, and players need to decide if they want another copy or another Power (factoring in both what's strongest for their deck and the chance to keep those cards away from their opponent). However, players will frequently be able to get multiple copies at 3-4 power, which means skipping the card all but ensures you are going to lose. This makes the only viable opening in most games using this something like |Frontiersmen (keep) - Frontiersmen (return)| or |gainer - Frontiersmen (return)| or even |Workshop/Hermit - Ironworks|. You might want to mix some payload in there so you can take advantage of the +Buys, but either way the card is too strong.

You might want to change it so it draws a card every 2 Power (which still might be too strong) or 3 Power; or that it draws one for every power and discards for ever 2 power; or that it draws for every 2 power and discards for every 3 (although that might be too weak).

Nature Preserve • $5 • Action - Victory
You may take +1 Power if you have less than 3 Power.
+3 Cards minus one card per Power.

Worth 1VP per Power.

Another good use of the Power mechanic. I think the pricing is good. Although it starts the same as a Smithy, it has to cost more because it has to potential to transform into a source of Victory points. It eventually becomes the equivalent of a Duchy. But I don't think that's underpriced, because you're not assured of getting all of those Victory points (until you've built up the Power, at which point you've worked for it). The in-between versions are potentially useful as well. With one Power it's a 1VP Moat. If you have plenty of +Actions, this could be quite useful. And even at 2 Power, while a Ruined Library isn't great, it's still better than a dead Victory card. Obviously, you will try to get to 3 Points before the end of the game, but there may be some strategic value in waiting to get there. This is even more true with Champion or Lost Arts.

Being an Action - Victory cards gives this some advantages, even after you've fully converted it to a Duchy (i.e. gotten the Power to 3). The most obvious is with Ways, which keep it from becoming a dead card (especially Wot Pig and Wot Mouse with a good cantrip set aside; Wot Turtle lets you keep them set aside). There are also a couple of Events (Transport and Invest) that let you put copies from the Supply directly into Exile; you can use one to gain the Power and never have the others touch your deck. And they can be discounted with Quarry or Ferry (the latter of which opens up the possibility of getting copies with gainers) and gained with Academy or Sunken Treasure. While these combos certainly make NP a lot stronger, none are not totally busted. This is definitely a solid entry.

Chronicle - Treasure, $4 cost.
You may trash a card from your hand for +1 Power per $1 it costs. If you have the most Power or tied most, you may get +1 Coffers and +1VP for -1 Power.

Chronicle by Aquila

This trash-for-benefit card gives both VP and Coffers. I think in most cases, every Power you get will eventually be converted into a bonus, either right after you use it (because you either already had the most or trashing the card gained you the most) or later, after your opponent has spent down their advantage and you trash a $0 card (or trash nothing, since the trashing is optional). Also, you get one extra benefit, since you can go down below 0 Power (you can potentially do this twice, if you start by trashing a Copper). With three Estates, that generates 7 or 8 VP and Coffers (presuming you can get that many plays of Chronicle). Compared to Sacrifice, that's more VP but less money, for a card that is non-terminal.

In a strong engine, you could potentially sustain two of these, especially if you have a gainer or source of +Buy (or a Horse gainer) with which you could feed your Chronicles $3 or $4 cards. Then, you're potentially generating 2VP each turn, and enough Coffers to allow you to make some big moves later on in the game. I don't think the card is necessarily busted, but I think it's on the strong side.

Go-Getter - $3
Action
+1 Power
Choose a different thing per 2 Power (round up): Discard a Card; gain a Copper; gain a Curse.
Choose a different thing per Power: +2 cards; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$2; -2 Power; trash 2 cards from your hand.

Go-Getter by Xen3k

I like this card a lot. It's a sort of very distant relative to Count, giving a choice of harms followed by a choice of benefits. But unlike with Count, the number of items you get off each list grows with your Power. There's a natural limit, as once you hit 6 Power you have to choose the -2 Power from the second list.

This is something of a medium to high skill card. It has some weaknesses that aone could miss if they are not careful. First, the first list says "round up" meaning you choose 1 at 1 Power, 2 at 3 Power, and get stuck will all 3 at 5 Power. Also, since the negative hits first, if at 2 Power you choose discard, +2 Cards, +1 Action, you'll have to discard firt, making it substantially weaker than Fugative. Similarly, you have to choose from the benefits all at once before receiving any, meaning you won't know what you'll draw with the +2 Cards before having to decide if you want (for example) the +1 Action or the trashing.

Despite these limitations, I think this has potential to be very useful in a lot of games. I would want to test this out, but I suspect that a solid strategy (especially in games with a decent Curser), is to get a good number of these, and try to empty the Curses pile as soon as practical. Once you do, you get a "free" negative choice every time you play it.

The only thing I don't love about the card is its name. But that's minor complaint for a card that makes great use of the mechanic, seems pretty well balanced, and looks like it would be a ton of fun to play.

he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 03:48:29 am »
+2

The Results

Thanks to everyone who participated. Here are the results:

Honorable Mention:

Runner Up:

Duelist by czzzz

Winner:

Go-Getter by Xen3k
he/him/his

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 12:17:57 pm »

The Results

Thanks to everyone who participated. Here are the results:

Honorable Mention:

Runner Up:

Duelist by czzzz

Winner:

Go-Getter by Xen3k

Oh, wow. Thanks for the win, I really had no idea what to call my card, so I agree the name is pretty weak. I will work to get a new challenge up either today or tomorrow.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.