Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rulebook note on Cutthroat  (Read 396 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Rulebook note on Cutthroat
« on: January 31, 2023, 08:03:45 am »
+1

"Loot itself is a Treasure costing $5 or more, so a player gaining one will trigger Cutthroats."

I assume the implication of "Loot itself" is the Loot gained by triggering a Cutthroat. But is this actually possible? If someone gains a Gold, my Cutthroat triggers, gaining me a Loot. But all Cutthroats already triggered from the Gold gain, so how can my Loot gain trigger any Cutthroats?

Thinking about it, I think the only way is if someone played a Cutthroat from gaining the Gold or the Loot, before I gained my Loot. Let's say my left-hand player gained a Loot from their Cutthroat, reacted with a Sheepdog using Way of the Mouse playing Vassal, and Vassal hitting Cutthroat. Then I gain my Loot, triggering their new Cuttroat. So I guess we need Way of the Mouse and Vassal?

EDIT: No, also if the player gaining the Gold (the player in turn, let's say) gained Cutthroat from Haggler or Architects' Guild, they could play it with Innovation or similar.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:10:40 am by Jeebus »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
Re: Rulebook note on Cutthroat
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 09:03:00 am »
+2

Also, a player might gain a Crown or Crystal Ball and use it with Mining Road to play Cutthroat.

Scepter works too I guess. Then you can even replay the very Cutthroat that just triggered from gaining the Scepter.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:07:40 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 12:22:13 am »
+4

When I read "Loot itself is a Treasure costing $5 or more, so a player gaining one will trigger Cutthroats", I read "because all Loot cards have the type treasure and cost or more, gaining a Loot will cause Cutthroat to trigger, just like gaining a Gold would".

In other words, I'm not reading anything about "the Loot that Cutthroat is causing you to gain will also trigger other Cutthroats."

If the sentence started with "The Loot" instead of "Loot", then I'd agree with your reading of it. The phrase "Loot itself" here reads to me as just being there because Loot is the subject of what the card does. Kind of like a FAQ entry that says "because Throne Room itself is an action card, you can choose to play a Throne Room in your hand twice when you play a Throne Room".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:23:52 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 03:51:15 am »
+2

When I read "Loot itself is a Treasure costing $5 or more, so a player gaining one will trigger Cutthroats", I read "because all Loot cards have the type treasure and cost or more, gaining a Loot will cause Cutthroat to trigger, just like gaining a Gold would".

In other words, I'm not reading anything about "the Loot that Cutthroat is causing you to gain will also trigger other Cutthroats."

If the sentence started with "The Loot" instead of "Loot", then I'd agree with your reading of it. The phrase "Loot itself" here reads to me as just being there because Loot is the subject of what the card does. Kind of like a FAQ entry that says "because Throne Room itself is an action card, you can choose to play a Throne Room in your hand twice when you play a Throne Room".

I see what you mean. At least this made me realize how a Cutthroat-gained Loot could trigger a Cutthroat.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.