Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Potion in the base set  (Read 918 times)

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Potion in the base set
« on: January 28, 2023, 10:04:35 am »

So after my last hot takes i present an idea i am really convinced of. Potion should have been in the main set and always out, like curse. Like curse you wouldnt buy it if there were no interactions, but if there are why not. BUT it should not give potion to spend like now, but instead a potion token. You could use that to buy potion cards (which would make cards that cost multiple potions possible). Also with that you could make cards like "spend a potion token for +3 cards +1 action" or so that dont cost potion. The design space would be unlimited. It would make potion way less swingy and every expansion could have a bit of potion in it.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Re: Potion in the base set
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 10:08:37 am »
+1

Counterpoint: Potion in the base set makes it not the Base set anymore. The base set shouldn’t have extra mechanics like that.

Counter hot-take: Potion should cost $3 and also give +Buy, so (A) it’s less punishing to go for a Potion card in the opening and (B) Potion can still be useful in situations where you don’t want the Alchemy card but there are no buys otherwise.

sumrex

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 10:33:23 am »

countercounterpoint: Gardens is in base. Alt-vp is already an extramechanic (pilesize etc).

I like your counterhottake. But i dont think potion costing 4 is a problem. The +buy is cool tho, even when it could be just a on-gain of the potion cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 10:36:20 am »
+2

When Alchemy was previewed but not yet released, I was actually worried Potion would be in every game. Why? Swindler.

sumrex

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 10:48:28 am »

When Alchemy was previewed but not yet released, I was actually worried Potion would be in every game. Why? Swindler.

That is actually funny, didnt think of that. Your insights are always very interesting!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 11:15:52 am »
+1

1) A second resource like Potion is too complex for the Base game.
2) Why do people always want to mitigate the downside of Potions somehow via tokens or extra Buys or whatever? It is not as if the official Potion cards, except for Transmute and Philosopher Stone, are particularly weak. The trick of Potion cards has always been to make them strong enough to compensate for the downside of Potions.

No need to mess with something that works perfectly fine.

sumrex

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 12:53:50 pm »

1) A second resource like Potion is too complex for the Base game.
2) Why do people always want to mitigate the downside of Potions somehow via tokens or extra Buys or whatever? It is not as if the official Potion cards, except for Transmute and Philosopher Stone, are particularly weak. The trick of Potion cards has always been to make them strong enough to compensate for the downside of Potions.

No need to mess with something that works perfectly fine.

I didnt say it needed fixing, I was suggesting something that would make potion even better. I love alchemy, that's why I thought about something that could expand the idea beyond just making more potion costing cards.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 01:10:50 pm »
+1

I think the true flaw of potion was the arguments it created along the way lmao.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 10:36:16 pm »

Counterpoint: Potion in the base set makes it not the Base set anymore. The base set shouldn’t have extra mechanics like that.

Counter hot-take: Potion should cost $3 and also give +Buy, so (A) it’s less punishing to go for a Potion card in the opening and (B) Potion can still be useful in situations where you don’t want the Alchemy card but there are no buys otherwise.

I like the 3 cost + buy thing a lot.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.