Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Questions regarding buy phase  (Read 496 times)

Dgamer777

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Questions regarding buy phase
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:54:00 pm »

1. Villa ( the one that allows you to return to your action phase) ,official FAQ says it does not trigger "Start of turn " abilities 

Since there are cards that trigger on "Start of turn" and "End of turn" , then should there not be 2 extra phases in a turn?

Like a Start of turn phase and End of turn phase?

So it would like something like this:

Start of turn Phase
Action phase
Buy phase
Clean up phase
End of turn phase

Would this make sense? If not why would it not?

Thoughts regarding this?

Question 2. The buy phase in Dominion states something about once you buy something , you can't play anymore treasures from your hand. 

Does this only include spending coins  on cards , events and projects? ( basically anything with a cost on it in the Supply) or is there other things?

Question 3. 
Example

I am in the buy phase with 1 copper in hand.  I buy a card that returns me to my action phase (like Villa ), still having the copper in my hand , then I return to my Buy phase again in the same turn.   

Since I am at the start of the buy phase again in the same turn , can I play the copper from my hand now? 

Question 4. If I can't play any more treasures from my hand once I buy a card , can I still play Action cards from my hand during the buy phase even after I bought one card already?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding buy phase
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 01:05:53 am »
+1

1. Villa ( the one that allows you to return to your action phase) ,official FAQ says it does not trigger "Start of turn " abilities 

Since there are cards that trigger on "Start of turn" and "End of turn" , then should there not be 2 extra phases in a turn?

Start of turn Phase
Action phase
Buy phase
Clean up phase
End of turn phase

Thoughts regarding this?

It kind of makes sense, and it can be helpful to think of it that way when you're keeping track of when things happen; however, it's important to remember that the "start-of-turn phase" is technically part of the Action phase, and the "end-of-turn phase" is technically part of the Clean-up phase. For example, Patron gives you a Coffers token if you reveal it during the Action phase; if something causes you to reveal a Patron during the start of your turn (e.g., Piazza), you do get the Coffers token. It's not a separate phase.

Question 2. The buy phase in Dominion states something about once you buy something , you can't play anymore treasures from your hand. 

Does this only include spending coins  on cards , events and projects? ( basically anything with a cost on it in the Supply) or is there other things?

Well, you don't always have to spend coins in order to buy something. If you buy Overlord, you don't spend any coins, and you can buy Animal Fair without spending any coins as well. But basically, the answer to your question is yes; those are the only things that count as "buying" something, and therefore that end the portion of your Buy phase when you can play Treasures.

Question 3. 
Example

I am in the buy phase with 1 copper in hand.  I buy a card that returns me to my action phase (like Villa ), still having the copper in my hand , then I return to my Buy phase again in the same turn.   

Since I am at the start of the buy phase again in the same turn , can I play the copper from my hand now? 

Yes, it's now the beginning of a new Buy phase, so you can play Treasures again until you buy something.

Question 4. If I can't play any more treasures from my hand once I buy a card , can I still play Action cards from my hand during the buy phase even after I bought one card already?

Ordinarily you can't play Action cards from your hand during the Buy phase at all. You can only play an Action card from your hand during the Buy phase if something specifically instructs you that you may do so. If something happens after you buy a card that instructs you to play an Action card from your hand (for instance, if you gain a Gondola), then you can play an Action card at that time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:33:16 am by AJD »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 01:11:48 am »
+1

1. There is a start of turn “time” and an end of turn “time”, these just aren’t referred to as phases. They are a time when things can happen, but so is “when you gain a card” or “when you trash a card”. They’re events that happen during the game which things can respond to.

2. At least currently, cards, events, and projects are the only thing you can buy. No reason other things could be added in later expansions. But it’s no so much about spending the coins as it is about using a buy; you could buy things that don’t cost any coins, such as a Ruins or an Overlord.

3. Yes. This second but phase is completely separate from the first one, and you are back at the “play treasures” half of your new buy phase.

4. You can’t play actions during the buy phase at all normally. There are various ways to play actions in the buy phase, some which happen during the first part of the buy phase (Scepter), or during the second half of your buy phase (Gondola, Innovation).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dgamer777

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 09:47:34 am »

Start of turn Phase
Action phase
Buy phase
Clean up phase
End of turn phase

Thoughts regarding this?

It kind of makes sense, and it can be helpful to think of it that way when you're keeping track of when things happen; however, it's important to remember that the "start-of-turn phase" is technically part of the Action phase, and the "end-of-turn phase" is technically part of the Clean-up phase. For example, Patron gives you a Coffers token if you reveal it during the Action phase; if something causes you to reveal a Patron during the start of your turn (e.g., Piazza), you do get the Coffers token. It's not a separate phase.

Well, you don't always have to spend coins in order to buy something. If you buy Overlord, you don't spend any coins, and you can buy Animal Farm without spending any coins as well. But basically, the answer to your question is yes; those are the only things that count as "buying" something, and therefore that end the portion of your Buy phase when you can play Treasures.

Question 3. 
Example

Yes, it's now the beginning of a new Buy phase, so you can play Treasures again until you buy something.

Ordinarily you can't play Action cards from your hand during the Buy phase at all. You can only play an Action card from your hand during the Buy phase if something specifically instructs you that you may do so. If something happens after you buy a card that instructs you to play an Action card from your hand (for instance, if you gain a Gondola), then you can play an Action card at that time.

For question #1

The official FAQ on the wiki states that Villa can not trigger "Start of turn" abilities.

So if the "start of turn phase" is technically part of the Action phase , why can't cards like Villa (that make you return to your action phase) trigger any  "Start of turn " abilities that you may have or could it?

What would the reason or thoughts regarding this?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 10:27:25 am »
+3

Because Villa doesn't give you a new turn. The extra Action phase that Villa gives you is an Action phase that happens in the middle of your turn, not at the beginning of your turn. Just because the start of your turn happens during an Action phase, that doesn't necessarily mean that all Action phases begin at the start of your turn.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 08:02:47 am »

1. There is a start of turn “time” and an end of turn “time”, these just aren’t referred to as phases. They are a time when things can happen, but so is “when you gain a card” or “when you trash a card”. They’re events that happen during the game which things can respond to.

And there are also things that trigger "at the start of your Buy phase", "at the end of your Buy phase", "at the start of your Clean-up phase", etc.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.