Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #176 - Game Changer  (Read 7119 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #176 - Game Changer
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 10:35:16 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Way of the Sword • $5 • Action
+4 Cards
Discard a card. If it's an Action,
+1 Action, otherwise, -1 Action
(you can't go below 0).

In games using this, when you
shuffle, pick one of the cards to
trash.

Edit: Updated to specify that you can't go below 0 Actions (as Poor House and Souk do with their -$), as suggested by Gubump.

Old Version:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 01:55:08 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 11:09:07 pm »

My Submission:

+4 Cards
Discard a card. If it's an Action, +1 Action, otherwise, -1 Action.

In games using this, when you shuffle, pick one of the cards to trash.

What happens if I don't have any unused Actions when I get the -1 Action?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 11:45:58 pm »
+2

Factory
- Treasure
+ and +1 Buy
You may trash a Treasure from your hand or may gain a Treasure from the trash onto your deck.
____
In games using this, at the start of your turn you may trash a Gold from your hand for +3 Cards.

Notes: Clearly inspired by Treasurer. But also inspired by Encampment. It's fun when Gold is a useful engine component, and I really enjoy repeatedly trashing Golds only to get them back with Treasurer.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2023, 12:04:05 am »

My Submission:

+4 Cards

As with the coin reduction in Poor House and Souk, it can't go down below zero.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2023, 12:26:21 am »
+1

My Submission:

+4 Cards

In that case, you might want to state that on the card like the aforementioned Poor House and Souk do.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2023, 02:16:24 am »

I don’t get why this is priced at $3. Duration draw without the missing shuffles downsides of durations is similar in strength to immediate draw, i.e. this is stronger than Caravan and either a $4.5 or a $5.

I appreciate the analysis, but I do not think that it is a fair comparison, given that Caravan is stronger than Caravan when Boatswain is in the Supply. Strong Caravan appears to me stronger than Boatswain as-is, and Boatswain wants to be appealing enough to be bought over other buffed up Durations (which have a bargaining price for what they now offer).

However, I do have an idea to reshape the card without losing the core idea. I'll edit it soon, but the bottom will now read: "In games using this, at the start of your turns, you may discard a card you have in play that no longer has any effects."
Sure, you have to reflect that this buffs other Durations. But delayed draw is not that much worse than immediate draw (there are folks who would argue that it is better, which I agree only with in the case of terminal draw) and the card also has to work well in Kingdoms with few or no other Durations.

So yeah, without Caravan in the Kingdom this is a $4.5 and with Caravan it is so close in strength to Caravan that $3 makes it underpriced.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2023, 03:20:23 am »
+3

My submission:

Idk which wording to use, so I just submitted both. Same effect; draw a card for each card you trash.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2023, 04:41:22 am »

Archangel Hades
Action- Doom- Fate
5$
Choose one: Recieve the next hex, each other play recieves the next boon at the start of their next turn.
Choose one: Gain a gold onto your deck and +2$, gain 2 silvers to your hand, gain 5 coppers to your hand and +1 buy.

Pretty extreme, but if you think about it you will see there is no real pressure, even on the copper pile. Ignorable with strong action payload, but well thats not always there. Probably pretty nice with BM, but thats ok.

1. Official cards separate choices with semicolons ( ; ), not commas. That's because using semicolons makes it easier to parse where one choice ends and another begins.
2. The Boon choice has tracking issues, since the card doesn't stay in play (since it's not a Duration card) and it doesn't make the next Boon stay out to remind people to receive it nor what it is. Also, as worded, it sounds like each other player would be receiving the same Boon, which has even more tracking issues since it would get discarded upon the first player to the left of the AH player receiving it.

Thanks, I reworded it and stole the wording from blessed village, so now it shouldn't be a problem any longer.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2023, 05:34:14 am »

My submission:

Idk which wording to use, so I just submitted both. Same effect; draw a card for each card you trash.
Both wordings are ok, but the effect is not the same: With the first version, you do trash one card, draw one card, then trash the next card (trashing, unlike discarding, is one at a time). So with version 1, you could choose a card that you drew from trashing the first card as your second trashing target, but with version 2 arguably not.

Also, Landfill is strictly worse than Chapel when they're in the same kingdom, that may be an issue. If there is any other decent trashing, you'll probably never get Landfill, it's just too expensive.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2023, 05:38:18 am »

Let's try this:

Edit: Lmao Village Green.

Edit 2: Update the card.
What does it mean to have an effect? In a game with Tormentor, can I discard a Boatswain at the start of my turn?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 05:41:28 am »
+3

Basically a touch of alt-VP enabler: those Estates and Duchies might become more worthwile. Might. Perhaps.
It could be too strong.
I first considerd "In games using this, Victory cards are worth an extra VP." but the current version seems more fun as it opens up gain and trash interactions (Shaman, Ambassador, Workshop Estates and then trash them).

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2023, 11:15:35 am »
+1

My submission:

Both wordings are ok, but the effect is not the same: With the first version, you do trash one card, draw one card, then trash the next card (trashing, unlike discarding, is one at a time). So with version 1, you could choose a card that you drew from trashing the first card as your second trashing target, but with version 2 arguably not.

If you were right, Chapel would be able to trash cards drawn by trashing a Cultist, which it can't. Trashing isn't one at a time either, actually.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 11:18:28 am »
+1

Sure, you have to reflect that this buffs other Durations. But delayed draw is not that much worse than immediate draw (there are folks who would argue that it is better, which I agree only with in the case of terminal draw) and the card also has to work well in Kingdoms with few or no other Durations.

So yeah, without Caravan in the Kingdom this is a $4.5 and with Caravan it is so close in strength to Caravan that $3 makes it underpriced.

I have made a second version of Boatswain where only one Duration card can get swept away now. This should check the power level of the card itself in check, and you'll probably like to use this power onto a more potent card (such as Wharf), should they be in the Supply. Until then, a single Boatswain at should keep you going until you find better stuff to discard from play.

What does it mean to have an effect? In a game with Tormentor, can I discard a Boatswain at the start of my turn?

I'm sorry, I do not quite understand the Tormentor question. A card that no longer has an effect is a card that is done doing anything, a card you'd discard from play this turn. It shouldn't be ambiguous in theory, otherwise, people wouldn't know which turn to discard their Duration cards as normal.
Bottom text

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 11:36:45 am »

With so many good ideas already, hopefully this is competitive enough. I though about modifying Duchy an idea i have employed on more than one Project, but it seams less wordy to just make another card instead.

City Builder
$5 Action
+2 Actions; You may discard a Victory card for +2 Cards.
City Wall costs $1 less with this in play, but not less than $2.
-----------
In games using this, include City Wall in the Kingdom.

City Wall
$5 Action - Victory
+1 Card, +1 Action
------------
2 Victory

update 20230126:
* Added "City Wall costs $1 less with this in play." to make City Builder a more compelling card.
* Added ", but not less than $2." to City Builder to provide a price floor.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:10:07 pm by BryGuy »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2023, 11:46:50 am »
+1

My submission:

If you were right, Chapel would be able to trash cards drawn by trashing a Cultist, which it can't. Trashing isn't one at a time either, actually.
Yeah, you're partially right in that all cards need to be selected first.

Trashing is however still technically one at a time, in the sense that if you choose to trash Catacombs and and 2 other cards, you can trash Catacombs first, gain a Priest, play it with Innovation, and get +$2 from the other cards you are trashing ... But that's admittedly more of a fringe case.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2023, 12:08:53 pm »
+2

I'm sorry, I do not quite understand the Tormentor question. A card that no longer has an effect is a card that is done doing anything, a card you'd discard from play this turn. It shouldn't be ambiguous in theory, otherwise, people wouldn't know which turn to discard their Duration cards as normal.

I think your current wording is understandable, but it would be nice to do it without adding new terminology.  The last part of your reply about knowing when to discard cards normally gave me an idea.  Maybe it can copy wording from Improve:

In games using this, at the start of your turn, you may discard a card from play that you would discard in Clean-up this turn.

Also, I removed the “s” from “at the start of your turn(s),” because that’s the way it is phrased in Shaman.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2023, 01:11:04 pm »
+1

My Submission:

+4 Cards

I like this submission.  :)
I would suggest a below line revision to "In games using this, before you shuffle, trash one card from the discard pile." That way it is obvious instead of inferred from where a card is trashed.  :)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 01:37:44 pm by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2023, 01:37:06 pm »
+1

Spirit market: a black market for trashed cards. Maybe should cost 4 or 5 idk. Also has silly interactions w zombie, rogue, etc.

Seams like both the above line text and below line text would indicate this should cost at least $4. This may be a powerful $4 or a weak $5. Maybe adding a little something like "+1 Buy" to justify a price of $5?  :)

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2023, 01:59:49 pm »

My Submission:

+4 Cards

In that case, you might want to state that on the card like the aforementioned Poor House and Souk do.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've updated it to reflect that.

My Submission:

+4 Cards

I would suggest a below line revision to "In games using this, before you shuffle, trash one card from the discard pile." That way it is obvious instead of inferred from where a card is trashed.  :)

Thanks! I adopted the language from Star Chart, which is the closest official equivalent. When language like that is available, I prefer to use it.
he/him/his

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2023, 04:03:47 pm »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2023, 04:24:05 pm »
+1

Expel
Event
$4

Exile 2 cards from your hand.

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2023, 11:16:16 pm »
+2

Evangelist - $4
Action - Liaison

+1 action
Turn your journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face down, +2 favour. If it's face up +2 cards and you may trash a card from your hand.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 02:32:40 pm by Kingreaper »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2023, 12:39:25 am »
+3

Pilgrim - $4
Action - Liaison

+1 action
Turn your journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face down, +2 favour. If it's face up +2 cards and you may trash a card from your hand.

1. I assume with this that Plateau Shepherds gives you if and only if your Journey token is face up at the end of the game?
2. Pilgrim is already the name of an existing card.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2023, 05:32:18 am »
+4

A back-to-front Remodel. Timing is a bit more flexible but it can't green at the end. At least it's easy to keep out of your deck when you've finished with it!

As a bonus, Estates can be turned into $5s. And $9 Provinces should slow the game down a bit.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2023, 06:09:58 am »

^ This seems like a super cool idea, but also very similar to Transmogrify.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.