Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #176 - Game Changer  (Read 7122 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #176 - Game Changer
« on: January 24, 2023, 06:54:47 pm »
+6

My prompt this time around is simple on the surface, but designing an interesting card that fits it may not be; my prompt is to...

Design a card with an "in games using this" effect.

Currently, I believe Duchess (which is 1e only), Charlatan, and Shaman are the only official cards that would qualify. It is fine for a landscape to have an "in games using this" effect, but that shouldn't be all it does (so no cheesing your way into qualifying by wording Landmarks or Edicts using the required phrase!)

I will be judging based on creativity, balance, if it looks fun to play with, how big an impact the "in games using this" effect has, and how well the top and bottom tie together, in no particular order.

Without any further ado, create away and have fun!
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #176 - Game Changer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 08:17:40 pm »
+3

A junking Chapel, if you've got all three Estates or some Silver to spare. Be warned, as the souls of the dead may come back to haunt you...

Costs less than $7 to minimize the Forge problem of being too expensive for a Chapel variant and more than $5 to avoid getting turn 1 without something like Desperation or Cursed Gold.
they/them

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:56:10 pm »
+2

Spotless Village only keeps its reputation through diligent work and no waste. It makes sure nothing (except Victory) gets left behind in your hand. They don't take "no" for an answer, so beware of colliding terminals.
If you only have pretty cards (+), they reward you with +2 Cards for preserving their image.

Edits: Accountability and specificity, per Gubump's suggestions
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:55:24 pm by czzzz »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 11:22:23 pm »
+2

Spotless Village only keeps its reputation through diligent work and no waste. It makes sure nothing (except Victory) gets left behind in your hand. They don't take "no" for an answer, so beware of colliding terminals.
If you only have pretty cards (+), they reward you with +2 Cards for preserving their image.

The bottom needs to say to reveal your hand in order to work, since it doesn't have any accountability otherwise. It should also probably specify "at the start of Clean-up," since just "at Clean-up" isn't very specific.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:38:48 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 12:16:03 am »
+1

Currently, I believe Duchess (which is 1e only), Charlatan, and Shaman are the only official cards that would qualify.

There's also Changeling.

Trash this. Gain a copy of a card you have in play.
-
In games using this, when you gain a card costing $3 or more, you may exchange it for a Changeling.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 12:39:39 am »
+1

Currently, I believe Duchess (which is 1e only), Charlatan, and Shaman are the only official cards that would qualify.

There's also Changeling.

Trash this. Gain a copy of a card you have in play.
-
In games using this, when you gain a card costing $3 or more, you may exchange it for a Changeling.

Knew I was probably forgetting something. I realized partway through typing up the OP that I had forgotten about Shaman (my excuse is that it's on my banlist, so I never see it come up).

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 01:40:41 am »
+5

Mystic Workshop - $4
Action

Gain a card costing up to $4. If it costs less than this, gain a copy of that card; otherwise gain a Copper to your hand.
-
In games using this, the first time you discard a card from play during each of your turns, return it to its pile.

Wizards are unusual people.  They can perform grand feats of magic, but they still appreciate the small things that others would ignore.  They are wise beyond their years, and yet they constantly manage to misplace their belongings.

Mystic Workshop is the opposite of Shaman.  Shaman’s on-play lets you trash cards, but a card comes back every turn.  Mystic Workshop’s on-play lets you gain cards, but a card leaves your deck every turn.

It’s like a Cathedral that you automatically start the game with.  Cathedral is powerful, but it has two strong anti-synergies: games without extra gains/Buys, and handsize Attacks.  Games using Mystic Workshop will always have extra gains, and the card is removed at the end of the turn instead of the beginning, making handsize Attacks less painful.  Keep in mind that Mystic Workshop cannot remove your Estates or Curses, so other trashers can still be useful.

For wording, I copied Duplicate and Citadel. I chose to return cards to piles instead of trashing them to help prevent pile-outs.  That also provides unusual interactions with things that don’t have piles.  You can choose to discard Necropolis, a Prize or an Heirloom first to get around Mystic Workshop’s effect.  It can also be avoided by using cards that move other cards or themselves when they are discarded from play, such as Herbalist.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 03:11:47 am »
+1

I changed my mind which one to enter, here's my real entry:
Loanshark
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards
+$1.
Each other player with less than 2 debt tokens takes 1 debt.
-
In games using this, at the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure to gain a Silver.
The thing preventing debt attacks from working is the possibility of someone getting shut out of the game unable to buy anything, so this has the "In games using this" to prevent that.

Withdrawn entry:
Unicorn
$4 - Action - Liason
+2 Cards.
Discard any number of cards. +1 Favor for each card you discard this way.
-
In games using this, use Horse Trainers in addition to another Ally.
Kind of a Vault variant. Should be fine at $4 since favors are valued less than coin according to Underling.

Horse Trainers
Ally
At the start of clean-up, you may spend 2 Favors to gain a Horse, or 3 Favors to gain 2 Horses.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:19:42 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 04:17:55 am »
+1

Landslide - Action Attack, $5 cost.
Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse onto their Tavern mat.
-
In games using this, after a player shuffles, they put a Curse from their Tavern mat onto their deck.
I did have a variant where the Curse entered the shuffle and an Action was taken out of it, but the same Action would keep getting taken out and that wasn't very interesting.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 04:48:23 am »
+2

"Why the Curse thing", you probably don't ask, but maybe, "isn't it good to trash Coppers? Why would anyone do this?"

Hypothetically, we could get into a game state where people run out of good cards, and then it degenerates into buying a silver and trashing one each turn or whatever. The Curse option prevents that. In the worst case, the penalty disappears once Curses are out.

The more normal effect is of course to boost all decks massively since you get rid of Coppers for free.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 10:17:10 am »
+9

Contessa is my replacement for Duchess, a cheap $2 cost that cares about Duchies but is actually fun. It turns Duchies into Moats and lets you play any number of them as Labs if you can line them up. Obviously it's a cantrip that doesn't do anything if you don't have any Duchies in hand, and $5 is a lot to pay for all your Moats, but hey they're worth points too.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 01:18:41 pm »
+6

Let's try this:

Edit: Lmao Village Green.

Edit 2: Update the card.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:24:56 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 01:39:22 pm »
+3

Spirit market: a black market for trashed cards. Maybe should cost 4 or 5 idk. Also has silly interactions w zombie, rogue, etc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:08:05 pm by LordBaphomet »
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 03:00:20 pm »
+2

Landslide - Action Attack, $5 cost.
Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse onto their Tavern mat.
-
In games using this, after a player shuffles, they put a Curse from their Tavern mat onto their deck.
I did have a variant where the Curse entered the shuffle and an Action was taken out of it, but the same Action would keep getting taken out and that wasn't very interesting.
I feel like this is missing out on some interesting interactions by using the Tavern mat instead of Exile.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 03:02:33 pm »

Daring Hero - $4
Action

Choose one: +2 cards; or discard 2 cards.
You may reveal a hand without Treasures to gain a Treasure.
-
In games using this, instead of paying a card's cost, you may trash a Treasure costing at least as much from you hand

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 03:45:28 pm »

Daring Hero - $4
Action

-
In games using this, instead of paying a card's cost, you may trash a Treasure costing at least as much from you hand

Does this excessively weaken discard-down-to-3 Attacks (and discard attacks more generally)? With Daring Hero and 2 other cards in hand, you are guaranteed to be able to gain any Treasure in the Supply (at least a Gold, if not Platinum or something else). Early in the game, this can turn getting hit with a Militia from something that will significantly limit what you can gain to something that will significantly improve it.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 04:28:26 pm »
+1

Archangel Hades
Action- Doom- Fate
5$
Choose one: Recieve the next hex;  take a Boon until the start of your next turnouEach other Player recieves it at the start of their next turn.
Choose one: Gain a gold onto your deck and +2$; gain 2 silvers to your hand; gain 5 coppers to your hand and +1 buy.

Pretty extreme, but if you think about it you will see there is no real pressure, even on the copper pile. Ignorable with strong action payload, but well thats not always there. Probably pretty nice with BM, but thats ok.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 04:40:07 am by sumrex »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 04:56:02 pm »
+1

Daring Hero - $4
Action

-

Does this excessively weaken discard-down-to-3 Attacks (and discard attacks more generally)? With Daring Hero and 2 other cards in hand, you are guaranteed to be able to gain any Treasure in the Supply (at least a Gold, if not Platinum or something else). Early in the game, this can turn getting hit with a Militia from something that will significantly limit what you can gain to something that will significantly improve it.
I don't really think so. Spending a turn gaining nothing but a Gold isn't exactly powerful. Draw-to-X cards exist and weaken discard attacks more than this does.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 05:40:06 pm »
+1

Let's try this:

I don’t get why this is priced at $3. Duration draw without the missing shuffles downsides of durations is similar in strength to immediate draw, i.e. this is stronger than Caravan and either a $4.5 or a $5.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 06:02:33 pm »
+1

I don’t get why this is priced at $3. Duration draw without the missing shuffles downsides of durations is similar in strength to immediate draw, i.e. this is stronger than Caravan and either a $4.5 or a $5.

I appreciate the analysis, but I do not think that it is a fair comparison, given that Caravan is stronger than Caravan when Boatswain is in the Supply. Strong Caravan appears to me stronger than Boatswain as-is, and Boatswain wants to be appealing enough to be bought over other buffed up Durations (which have a bargaining price for what they now offer).

However, I do have an idea to reshape the card without losing the core idea. I'll edit it soon, but the bottom will now read: "In games using this, at the start of your turns, you may discard a card you have in play that no longer has any effects."
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 06:12:03 pm »

Archangel Hades
Action- Doom- Fate
5$
Choose one: Recieve the next hex, each other play recieves the next boon at the start of their next turn.
Choose one: Gain a gold onto your deck and +2$, gain 2 silvers to your hand, gain 5 coppers to your hand and +1 buy.

Pretty extreme, but if you think about it you will see there is no real pressure, even on the copper pile. Ignorable with strong action payload, but well thats not always there. Probably pretty nice with BM, but thats ok.

1. Official cards separate choices with semicolons ( ; ), not commas. That's because using semicolons makes it easier to parse where one choice ends and another begins.
2. The Boon choice has tracking issues, since the card doesn't stay in play (since it's not a Duration card) and it doesn't make the next Boon stay out to remind people to receive it nor what it is. Also, as worded, it sounds like each other player would be receiving the same Boon, which has even more tracking issues since it would get discarded upon the first player to the left of the AH player receiving it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:13:53 pm by Gubump »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 06:13:40 pm »
+1

Let's try this:

If I have a non-Duration Action card set aside by Summon or Prepare, would I play it and then discard it, since it was played during the "start of turn" phase and is a card with no remaining effects?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 06:26:07 pm »
+2

I just edited Boatswain to reflect the changes I mused about a little above this post.

If I have a non-Duration Action card set aside by Summon or Prepare, would I play it and then discard it, since it was played during the "start of turn" phase and is a card with no remaining effects?

Yes Sir you could.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 08:01:38 pm »

Spirit market: a black market for trashed cards. Maybe should cost 4 or 5 idk. Also has silly interactions w zombie, rogue, etc.

I would suggest using the wording "cards in the trash cost less." As worded, cards you buy from the trash technically stay cost reduced, since they were trashed at some point, which leads to tracking issues. Another problem with the current wording is that it makes it sound like only cards trashed specifically by Spirit Market's effect get cost reduced, which also has tracking issues.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 08:08:25 pm »

I would suggest using the wording "cards in the trash cost less." As worded, cards you buy from the trash technically stay cost reduced, since they were trashed at some point, which leads to tracking issues. Another problem with the current wording is that it makes it sound like only cards trashed specifically by Spirit Market's effect get cost reduced, which also has tracking issues.
Edited as per your suggestion
Hail Satan, hail yourself!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.