Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Got boArd of Dominion so I created a new version; DOMINION MADNESS!  (Read 545 times)

Genaraln7

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile

Just to start off I love Dominion and the whole deckbuilding concept, ive also played star realms and MTG for years too.

My biggest problem with dominion though is that after playing a scenario a few times it starts to get kinda boring so you need to rummage through all your cards again to make a new one and before you know it you have done all the scenarios that you can play and have to buy another expansion set.
Yes you can have a lot of fun building your own scenarios but you always end up having to come up with something new and make sure its actually fun to play for you and your friends.

What if you NEVER have to make up new scenarios or lookup the standard scenarios and still enjoy all the fun of dominion?

Here I introduce to you DOMINION MADNESS!
To setup the game setup your coper and other treasure cards, Estate and other victory cards and the curses like normal.
Then take 2 of each card from every set you have (so all your action cards and extra treasure cards like venture from prosperity.) and shuffle all these cards into 1 pile (you may end up with multiple piles if you have lots of expansions).
Then grab an extra card of each card that gives you extra actions like the village cards and Festivals, shuffle them in too.
Then grab 2 of each defense card (moat, watchtower lighthouse etc) and shuffle them in too. (without it will be tough playing as there are way more attack cards then defense cards in general)

Then take from your shuffled pile 10 cards and lay them out face up.
Each player gets their standard 10 card deck of 7 coper and 3 Estates.
The game can begin! Each player can buy a card like normal, once someone buys a card from the 10 random cards a new card is picked up from the random card pile.
Players also have the option of spending 1 coin to trash a faceup card to get a new card from the pile.

Ive played this new version multiple times and its been so much more fun then any Dominion scenario ive played and it adds so much more to the game even without 100 expansions and with expansions it gets only more fun.

Side note the first time we played it we played with only 5 revealed cards and found there was to little choice (only 5 cost cards available etc) so we doubled the number to 10 and its been perfect!

Notes
We have found that the following cards are overpowered and if 1 player gets them and no one else they have such an insane advantage so we have had to ban the following cards from this game mode (you can reintroduce them at your own risk ;D):

Kings court ( you may play a action card 3x)
Treasury (+ 1 card +1 action +$1 ) especially at the start of the game if you are the only player to have +1 to spend for the start fase of the game there is no way other players can compete with you.

Over powered cards like Hoard are kept in check with cards like bandit and pirate ship so I felt no need to ban them but there may be cards from other expansions that need to be banned too.
We have also removed cards like Talisman and Smugglers as they would require you to gain a card from " outside the game" to keep things simple we removed them.
The card Mint can only copy the standard treasure cards.

Enjoy! :)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
Re: Got boArd of Dominion so I created a new version; DOMINION MADNESS!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 01:36:42 am »

Sorry, but I doubt that Star Realms Dominion is much more than a random mess. You can extrapolate from Black Market and common sense: if only one player exclusively gets an early junker or a junker, the game is likely already over.

Genaraln7

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 02:57:05 am »
+1

Well try it first before you judge! We have done a lot of play testing and it has greatly enhanced our Dominion fun it has even convinced a friend of mine to play Dominion when he used to hate the concept of the game.

Im sharing this so it can inspire others to try it too. And yes some cards may prove to be overpowered thats why we made a banlist. At the end of the day its up to you and you play mates how you guys wanna play this game.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 05:32:42 am »

Sorry, but I doubt that Star Realms Dominion is much more than a random mess. You can extrapolate from Black Market and common sense: if only one player exclusively gets an early junker or a junker, the game is likely already over.

It doesn't sound for me but some people prefer more random in their games. I mean Talisman sold over 800,000 units :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 05:47:18 am »

My biggest problem with dominion though is that after playing a scenario a few times it starts to get kinda boring so you need to rummage through all your cards again to make a new one and before you know it you have done all the scenarios that you can play and have to buy another expansion set.

There are over five million kingdoms you can play with just the base set. Adding just Intrigue makes that over 15 billion. I doubt you're going to run out of them any time soon.

Yes you can have a lot of fun building your own scenarios but you always end up having to come up with something new and make sure its actually fun to play for you and your friends.

You can literally just shuffle the randomizers and deal 10 random cards. There are web sites and apps that can do that for you, too, if you don't want to do the shuffling physically. That's how the game is designed to be played.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 08:01:33 am »
+2

There are over five million kingdoms you can play with just the base set. Adding just Intrigue makes that over 15 billion. I doubt you're going to run out of them any time soon.

The literal number is pretty meaningless. The thing human players care about is how many different feeling kingdoms there are. Which is difficult to quantify, but you do run out of them if you play with just the base set.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 10:57:56 am »
+1

The literal number is pretty meaningless. The thing human players care about is how many different feeling kingdoms there are. Which is difficult to quantify, but you do run out of them if you play with just the base set.

I actually don't think you do with the 2nd edition base set. It's a very engine friendly set with few duds, so most of the time, you're taking all or most of the cards in the kingdom at least into consideration. I have played some games of 2ed base only, maybe like a hundred or so, and obviously that's not a lot but I don't even feel like I'm getting diminishing returns of replay value yet.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 11:21:21 am »

Oh good point, I forgot about the second addition. Never really played 2nd edition only. (But still, the raw # of kingdoms isn't meaningful.)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 12:09:42 pm »

It doesn't sound for me but some people prefer more random in their games. I mean Talisman sold over 800,000 units :)
Most of the deck builders (or games with deck building elements) I own do feature a random row. But they were specifically designed for that and work well as they are.
Dominion was neither designed with a random row in mind nor would it work well if it were house-ruled like that (as the game state is more sensitive to one player exclusively getting a specific card than in games with random rows).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 12:11:50 pm by segura »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 21 queries.