Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Fan Mechanics Week 55: Jewelry

(1/3) > >>

NoMoreFun:
For this contest, design a card with the Jewelry type (originally posted by Scolapasta in the Week 61 WDC)

--- Quote from: scolapasta on February 08, 2020, 04:05:05 pm ---My entry for this week is a new Treasure subtype: Jewelry:

Normally your buy phase consists of of two sub phases: First, play your treasure cards (spend coffer, pay off debt); second, buy card(s) (or event(s), or project(s))

Treasure-Jewelry cards are are cards you can play any time during your buy phase. Frequently, they will care about what or how many cards you have bought.

Examples:

--- End quote ---

In my view, "Jewelry" is the type that allows you to play things during your buy phase precisely after you've bought a card. So you could technically do a pure Jewelry (can't play until you've bought a card), or an Action-Jewelry. Of note is the phase is still called your Buy phase, even though there's two distinctive parts to it.

Scolapasta's examples were all Treasure-Jewelry and in my view those are the most interesting designs and are the least likely to avoid confusion. But I won't rule out other interesting designs. If the answer to "Could this have just been a Treasure" or "Could this have just been a night card" is yes, then it won't do too well in judging.

I have a template here

LibraryAdventurer:

--- Quote ---Charm Bracelet
$5 - Treasure - Jewelry
+1 Buy
Gain an Action or Treasure card costing less than the most expensive card you bought this turn and play it.
--- End quote ---
A Charm/Haggler variant.

BryGuy:

--- Quote ---
Broach
$5 Treasure - Jewelry
$1
+1 Buy
Choose one: gain a card costing less than $4 and you may play it up to twice; or gain a Villager per Action card you have gained this turn.
--- End quote ---

czzzz:

Not a Treasure. Makes off bought Silvers, or recoups from bought Golds. To ensure it can be useful in sets without +Buys, it has a discard-for-buy reaction.

Goes off the rails in sets with cost reduction...then again, so do many other cards. I would make it say "Worth half the cost of this card, rounded up, per Silver..." to adjust somewhat for cost reduction, but I'd hate for it to get wordier.
I'm open to feedback.

emtzalex:
My Submission:

--- Quote ---Witchstone • Treasure - Jewelry - Attack • $5
$2+1 Buy
Discard a card. If you've gained
a copy of it this turn, each other
player gains a Curse.
--- End quote ---
                                                             My submission is Witchstone. It's an attacking Spices variant (which, as Jewelry, can be played late). The attack is fairly weak, as the player will have to forego playing a copy of the card they want to gain, or gain a dead card. While this is potentially stronger when you are greening, even if you want to discard a Province, you can't use the Witchstone's payload to buy the new copy of it. And, even if you don't want to use the Attack, the discard is still mandatory. While this will usually not be an issue, it can become one if you have more copies of Witchstone (beyond the first) than dead cards in your hand (or if you have Night cards or other Jewelry you want to play later).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version