Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Artwork  (Read 2236 times)

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Artwork
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:21:08 am »

First of all, hey, I'm new here.

Alright, pleasantries aside, I'm currently in the process of making a fan expansion, and I am finding Google to be a painfully ineffective tool for finding good artwork to use for the images. I'm wondering if other people have had this problem. Where do most people get their art?
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:26 am »

Steal art from other CCG's like Magic the Gathering. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:45:16 pm »

Honestly? I paint my own in Photoshop and/or Manga Studio on a Wacom tablet. I understand that's probably too time-consuming to be practical for most. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:03:37 am »

On topic: You could probably snoop around DeviantArt and ask artists if you could use their work.  Most probably wouldn't mind.

Honestly? I paint my own in Photoshop and/or Manga Studio on a Wacom tablet. I understand that's probably too time-consuming to be practical for most.

Off topic: There's an issue to the wording of that Matt card you have there.  Reactions can be revealed multiple times.  As you have it worded, any reshuffle allows you to draw your entire deck.  Other reaction cards either have actions to prevent such loops (reveal and discard, reveal and set aside) or the effects are such that revealing multiple times is redundant (e.g. Moat, Secret Chamber).

Also, is the Duration one that lasts from play until the end of the game?  If yes, it seems like it would be broken especially if you manage to get the majority of them.  Maybe the opportunity cost of buying Matt instead of another card is big enough that it's not a big issue, but getting to draw 10 extra cards per reshuffle by ANY player is huge.  If no, you should clarify when the card should be discarded from play.

My suggestion is that Matt must be discarded from play in order to draw the extra card.

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:49 pm »

Thanks; this is correct. That will need to be fixed. It would need to draw 2 cards if discarded, not one, or the reaction would be useless.

Incidentally, not long after that blog entry, I came out with a revision to that card, although it doesn't fix the problem you described.
MATT
Each player (including you) either places a card from his hand on top of his deck, or discards his deck, your choice.
---------------------------
If another player shuffles, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +1 Card.
$4 ACTION - ATTACK - REACTION
I'm not sure I understand "is the Duration one that lasts from play until the end of the game?" Durations always last until the end of the turn after the turn they were played. No existing Duration card bears a special instruction about when it is to be cleaned up. I'm probably misinterpreting your question.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:26:16 pm by Matt_Arnold »

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:29 am »

By the way, I found deviantart.com to be quite helpful in finding the art I needed, so thanks for that advice.
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »

I'm not sure I understand "is the Duration one that lasts from play until the end of the game?" Durations always last until the end of the turn after the turn they were played. No existing Duration card bears a special instruction about when it is to be cleaned up. I'm probably misinterpreting your question.

Actually, Duration cards do have that kind of instruction, in a subtle way.  Durations are cleaned up when they no longer have an effect.  All the duration cards say something like, "now and at the start of your next turn, you get X".  So after your next turn, it doesn't do anything and thus should be cleaned up.  The card you have there doesn't specify how long it lasts, so the default (at least to me) is that it just stays out.  If you intended it to be like other Durations, it should say something like, "Until the start of your next turn, whenever anyone reshuffles..."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.