Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Future  (Read 5429 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Future
« on: January 09, 2023, 06:46:39 pm »
+3

WDC #174: Back to the Future
Design a card shaped thing that uses Plunder's "next time" mechanic. If your submission involves a split pile or ancillary supply piles, only one card needs to use the mechanic. It can function as it does on durations, staying in play until triggered, or as it does on events, triggering on the next time you do something on that turn.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Future
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 07:57:28 pm »
+6

I've made a couple of these already, here's one I like the idea of:

Grand Throne : Action - Duration : $6
The next time you have 3 cards set aside by this, play them all in any order.
Until then, immediately after you play a non-Duration card, if it's still in play, you may set it aside.

Plays Actions, Treasures, and Nights, too! playing your full combo twice feels really nice.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 08:31:36 pm »
+3

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 09:38:32 pm »
+12

It's always so fun to wear your silk gown to the ball, but then you sew up another one and you realize how out of season that old one was. You simply must throw it off at once to try on the next! The true joy though is opening up the wardrobe and seeing a whole line of dresses you've woven, each more beautiful than the last.

Gown is like a smaller Monument whose VP stacks the more you have in play, but you don't get them back until you gain a new one. How many Gowns will you collect?

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 03:11:13 am »
+8

Chameleon your next Action! Can chain to make itself effectively a Smithy, but there's probably some better things you can do with it.
Ninja edit: "This turn" clause to avoid Duration stickiness. Especially relevant on a "the next time" Action.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:15:09 am by Augie279 »
they/them

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 01:40:31 pm »
+4

My Submission:

River Trader • $4 • Action - Duration
Discard a card. If it's a Treasure card, +1 Buy.

The next time you play a River Trader, afterwards, +2 Cards and +1 Action.

My submission is River Trader. It's a nerfed Fugitive. The first copy you get is basically worthless. When you play it, it just makes you discard a card. It then, in effect, stays in play for the rest of the game (technically you're cycling through them, only leaving the newest one in play, but since they're basically fungible it's the same as the first one always being there).

Subsequent plays are a net cantrip, sifting a card. Since the discard happens before the draw, the sifting effect is almost always worse than Fugitive (the only exception being when RT is the last card in your hand, and you don't have to discard). And the disadvantage isn't small. From a 5 card hand, you have 1/3 fewer cards to choose from for the discard than with Fugitive (4 instead of 6). To slightly buff it, I gave a +Buy bonus if you dropped a Copper (or, in a draw-your-deck engine, some other Treasure you're getting back anyway).

EDIT: Per SignError's suggestion, I've edited the card to clarify that the +2 Cards, +1 Action happens after the next copy is played.

Old version:

The next time you play a River Trader, +2 Cards, +1 Action.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:28:18 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 02:18:12 pm »
+2

…. Since the discard happens before the draw …

It might be good to use “afterwards” as Landing Party does to clarify the order of timing.  If you had wanted the Duration effect to happen before the new play, you could use “first” instead, just like Kiln does.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 03:29:02 pm »
+1

…. Since the discard happens before the draw …

It might be good to use “afterwards” as Landing Party does to clarify the order of timing.  If you had wanted the Duration effect to happen before the new play, you could use “first” instead, just like Kiln does.

Thanks for the suggestion. I updated it to add "afterwards" to the bonus.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 05:19:22 pm »
+3

Cleric
Action/Duration - $4
+1 Buy
The next time you gain a Curse, return it to its pile, gain a card costing up to $4 to your hand, and you may put a card from your hand onto your deck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 12:34:00 am by NoMoreFun »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 06:39:54 pm »
+3

Town council. Set it up, and the next copy rewards you for the amount of cards you played in between. Synergizes with duration cards, forever-in-play cards, and engines that can reliably play a lot of cards in between villages. Price could be changed idk if $4 is balanced.

[added NoMoreFun's suggestions]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:12:05 pm by LordBaphomet »
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 06:56:05 pm »

Town council. Set it up, and the next copy rewards you for the amount of cards you played in between. Synergizes with duration cards, forever-in-play cards, and engines that can reliably play a lot of cards in between villages. Price could be changed idk if $4 is balanced.

Should be "any other" town councils, or else the card does nothing except for edge cases.

It will suck to have more than 2. Perhaps make the +2 Actions unconditional?

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 09:18:53 pm »
+4

So this is Cutthroat, but with Victory instead of attack. I really like these green & orange cards. I also like to alliterate the card's name.

Fortune's Forest
$6 Action - Duration - Victory
The next time anyone gains
a Treasure costing $6 or
more, choose one to gain:
a Loot; or two Spoils.
-
2%
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:20:44 pm by BryGuy »

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 05:21:16 am »
+5

Salvation Army - $3 - Action - Duration

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

Next time you gain a card costing $2 or less, +$2.
The Salvation Army cares about the poor. Junk yourself to get +$2 and your card back, or rely on cost reduction or good $2's. Maybe you can even play multiple and gain a copper for lots of $$. The +Buy is there, but watch out for cursers.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 06:27:52 am »
+1

Joyful Kittens
$4
Type: Action - Duration - Liaison

Card text: +2 Cards

Next time any player gains a Victory card, discard this from play and gain +1 Villager and +2 Favors.

Changed wording to "next time" per others suggestions. added an extra favor cause it felt too basic.

So: a lab variant, that can potentially go infinite, but at first it's just a crummy moat!
Priced at 4, because i feel like it's strength is about at the same place as imp. Labs are strong, but this one requires you to clog your deck to really get its effect, and then its card neutral.
In a way its quite similar to shephard, where if you draw 1 shephard and 1 estate, well, its just card neutral.

Variants ive considered: it just being +1 card: it giving 2 favors: it giving +1 coffer instead of favors
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:19:55 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 10:29:09 am »
+3

Beacon - $2
Action/Duration

+1 Card
+$2
Next time another player plays an Attack, you are unaffected by it, and afterwards you may play a Beacon from your hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 11:51:45 am »
+10

I may or may not think of something more interesting to submit instead.
I had something else in the works but it was kind of convoluted so I scrapped it, haha.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 01:00:18 pm »

I had something else in the works but it was kind of convoluted so I scrapped it, haha.

That is so crazy good. It has got to cost more - $5, or maybe $6.
At $5, i'd give it a small nerf, like: "When gained, each other play gains a Silver".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:03:36 pm by BryGuy »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 01:45:41 pm »
+3

Joyful Kittens
$4
Type: Action - Duration - Liaison

Card text: +2 Cards

When someone gains a Victory card, discard this from play and gain +1 Villager and +1 Favor.

(Tell me if this doesn't qualify, but i just felt that 'when someone gains a victory card" felt more natural than "next time someone gains a victory card".)

I think it needs to say "Next time any player gains a Victory card..." Otherwise, the effect keeps happening for the rest of the game (although it cannot discard itself from play again, it can keep giving you Villagers and Favors).
he/him/his

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2023, 01:51:41 pm »
+1

At $5, i'd give it a small nerf, like: "When gained, each other play gains a Silver".

This would be far too weak at $5, the price point of Sanctuary, a cantrip Exiler that is brilliant in all phases of the game.
Drachma on the other hand is a high skill card. You gotta manage timing and shuffling quite well for the card to do its job well. Keep in mind that, like with Secluded Shrine, having two copies of Drachma in play does not help you; they are both discarded when you gain the first Victory card.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 02:21:03 pm »
+1

This would be far too weak at $5, the price point of Sanctuary, a cantrip Exiler that is brilliant in all phases of the game.
Drachma on the other hand is a high skill card. You gotta manage timing and shuffling quite well for the card to do its job well. Keep in mind that, like with Secluded Shrine, having two copies of Drachma in play does not help you; they are both discarded when you gain the first Victory card.

Sanctuary, is proof that Drachma should cost at least $5. With Sanctuary it must collide with the card you want to Exile, which would require both luck and skill. Drachma is a low-skill card for it just sits there waiting - allowing it to be much more powerful/useful than Sanctuary.
Alternatively, making Drachma worth $1, instead of worth $2 would make this card's cost more reasonable at $4.
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Exile
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 02:23:04 pm by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Futur
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 02:41:56 pm »
+1

Sanctuary, is proof that Drachma should cost at least $5. With Sanctuary it must collide with the card you want to Exile, which would require both luck and skill. Drachma is a low-skill card for it just sits there waiting - allowing it to be much more powerful/useful than Sanctuary.
Alternatively, making Drachma worth $1, instead of worth $2 would make this card's cost more reasonable at $4.

This is beyond wrong. Sanctuary does a plethora of useful things: Exile crap, gift you 3VPs that you would otherwise trash, provide an extra Buy, exile Green. And all without clogging your deck. It is a very centralizing card and you can run two or even three copies.

Drachma, well, would you open with it? Sure, if you would like that Silver to disappear, Drachma does that job (and unlike Sanctuary does not do anything anymore until you start to green). That is why there are likely better $4s or $3s to open with. In all other situations you only want it in the late game, shortly before you green. But you rarely want a Silver in this situation, a fairly crappy stop card. As already pointed out, Drachma does not work in two Provinces engines (well, it does, but you can only use one copy at a time).

So yeah, Sanctuary is overpowered and low skill whereas Drachma is tricky to evaluate, likely to be only good in some Kingdoms and thus a high skill card.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 03:48:57 pm »
+2

Downpayment
Treasure - Duration
$5

$2
Discard a card from your hand.

The next time you discard a card other than during Clean-up +2 Villagers

Notes
- My card this week is inspired by two ideas. The first is that I decided to use discarding cards as my "next time" trigger point. This meant that the card itself needed to discard. The second idea was that I wanted to make an unconventional village based around the next time trigger.
- Adding further note. I am a bit unsure about pricing this. I went with 5 as that is what most Silver+ cards cost. I can see arguments both for making it cheaper and more expensive though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:51:27 pm by xyz123 »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Futur
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 03:54:44 pm »

This is beyond wrong. Sanctuary does a plethora of useful things: Exile crap, gift you 3VPs that you would otherwise trash, provide an extra Buy, exile Green. And all without clogging your deck. It is a very centralizing card and you can run two or even three copies.

Drachma, well, would you open with it? Sure, if you would like that Silver to disappear, Drachma does that job (and unlike Sanctuary does not do anything anymore until you start to green). That is why there are likely better $4s or $3s to open with. In all other situations you only want it in the late game, shortly before you green. But you rarely want a Silver in this situation, a fairly crappy stop card. As already pointed out, Drachma does not work in two Provinces engines (well, it does, but you can only use one copy at a time).

So yeah, Sanctuary is overpowered and low skill whereas Drachma is tricky to evaluate, likely to be only good in some Kingdoms and thus a high skill card.

You mischaracterize my argument - that is your logical fallacy. I never said Sanctuary is not a useful card. I like it and have run several before.

Almost seams like you are making my argument for me - I appreciate that.

I guess we should agree to disagree on low v high skill.

I suspect Drachma could cost $5 without a nerf.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:59:06 pm by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 04:17:25 pm »
+1

Mischaracterize? You literally wrote in your last post that Drachma is more powerful and useful than Sanctuary and I responded to this.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 04:27:40 pm »

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Treasure
Notice that no Treasure worth $2 costs $4.
Also notice the Treasures worth $1 and cost at least $5 are about as powerful as Drachma, Pickaxe being an example.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.