Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Plunder Card Power Levels First Impressions  (Read 3254 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Plunder Card Power Levels First Impressions
« on: January 05, 2023, 11:10:36 am »
+2

link to poll

Give your first impressions on the new Plunder cards by rating them on a scale of 0-10 in terms of "power level" -- this poll will be open for about a week and then I'll compile the results and write a blog post reporting the results and maybe some of my opinions as well.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: Plunder Card Power Levels First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 11:46:31 am »
+1

I haven't played with Plunder yet.  Hope you're accepting complete guesses.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 11:05:38 am »
+3

I haven't played with Plunder yet.  Hope you're accepting complete guesses.

If you haven't played with Plunder yet...just don't fill out the form. Seems pretty simple.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 11:35:58 am »
+4

The point of this is to get peoples' first impressions on the cards. If that means it's a complete guess upon reading the card one time then that's what it means. In a few months I'll do another poll, which will go into the composite stats, but I'll also write another blog post/do another podcast maybe on how things have changed after people have had some time to play with the cards.

So in my book, complete guesses are totally welcome. Don't let the upvotes dissuade you. There is so much noise and subjectivity in card ratings that a little bit of experience with the cards tends to have much less of an effect. And in the cases where it does, your complete guesses are welcome in this particular poll more than normal. The stats from the first impressions aren't included in the overall stats I keep for card power levels.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 03:35:23 pm »

Rating traits on a power rating seems kind of useless, since they re so card dependent
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 03:53:55 pm »
+3

Rating traits on a power rating seems kind of useless, since they re so card dependent

Technically the same can be said of a lot if not all kingdom cards, though. Might be even more true with traits than others cards, but either way you have to determine for yourself when filling out the survey "how likely" is it that the card/trait will be strong in a given kingdom.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 01:39:41 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 09:20:45 am »
+2

I personally didn't rate the traits because I couldn't think of a super consistent way in my mind to do it. A similar thing with Allies. The poll states that you can pick and choose what you rate and what you don't (I didn't rate Tournament and Black Market because they've been on my banlist since I started playing so I don't have enough experience with the cards).

But there's no harm in putting them on the poll, letting people select a number, and putting those numbers in my spreadsheet. I don't intend to make any comments or conclusions from those numbers, but some people will be happy that those numbers are there so I put them in the poll.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 09:14:05 pm »

I personally didn't rate the traits because I couldn't think of a super consistent way in my mind to do it. A similar thing with Allies. The poll states that you can pick and choose what you rate and what you don't (I didn't rate Tournament and Black Market because they've been on my banlist since I started playing so I don't have enough experience with the cards).

But there's no harm in putting them on the poll, letting people select a number, and putting those numbers in my spreadsheet. I don't intend to make any comments or conclusions from those numbers, but some people will be happy that those numbers are there so I put them in the poll.

I basically went with how excited or non-plussed do I feel when I see the trait on the board.

One thing I was surprised to see a few games back was that you can also have 2 traits in the same game.  Not sure if or how this would affect voting, but I found it interesting.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 02:13:35 pm »

I agree that Rope's power level probably is more mid than we think, but it is really nice that it is a good card on almost every board.  It's in my deck frequently, which makes me like it more.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 03:45:56 pm »

I agree that Rope's power level probably is more mid than we think, but it is really nice that it is a good card on almost every board.  It's in my deck frequently, which makes me like it more.

Sure, and there's no consistent way to rate cards based on which of these things you care about more. It's part of why rating cards is hard and why the data gathered from card ratings needs to be used extremely carefully. But this isn't the place to rant about that.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 01:46:21 pm »

I think that the rating of Rope is correct. It is a partly delayed Market that trashes so as a non-delayed Action it would have to cost $6 (strictly better than Market as well as Junk Dealer). Being a Treasure instead of an Action and drawing next turn instead of this turn are significant drawbacks but it is nonetheless a powerhouse.
It also does two essential things for your engine which is rare in one card (Saunavanto comes to mind).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 04:05:27 pm »
+1

Drawing next turn instead of this turn is a significant upside.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 08:03:15 pm »

Drawing next turn instead of this turn is a significant upside.

I agree.  Starting a hand with 6 gives so many more options and often I find myself trashing the drawn card. 

It is interesting that you rated Silver Mine higher than anyone, as 7 was it's max rating.  I personally the SM is kind of blah and probably should only cost 4, though on some boards with good alt treasures it works well. I mean it's a silver usually for 5?  That said in games with unusual treasures that excel with many treasures (HOP, bank, pendant) I think it could play well.

I was surprised to see Pendant marked so low.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 08:35:27 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 08:12:49 pm »

I think segura was comparing Rope to Market, not generically saying that Rope would be better if it drew the card now. Rope drawing a card now can draw Actions dead; Market drawing a card now does not. A Market that drew a card next turn would be markedly worse.

Ergo, Rope is worse than Market in regards to draw, as it is delayed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 02:20:23 am »

A Market that drew a card next turn would be markedly worse.

And the point is that this is not true, it would be markedly better (as long as it didn't also have the Duration type). The reason why Duration draw is not automatically stronger than regular draw is that Durations stay in play so they're effectively only half of whatever effect they give — you need to buy two of them to play one every turn. Getting the draw at the start of your turn, however, is so strong that it makes up for that -50% nerf in some cases (e.g. Stowaway is way better than Moat and you ideally want enough Barges to play at least one for the delayed draw every turn) and makes Highwayman which avoids having that nerf, albeit in an inconvenient way, a very strong $5 even though subsequent ones after the first one don't do anything special beyond being delayed Smithies.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 10:22:56 am »

I didn't get around to voting, but it's interesting how weak people are ranking Fortune Hunter.

It's very often at least a Terminal Gold and it has a few other tricks up its sleeve. It's also likely to come up in people's experiences in "extra plunder" games, giving it more Treasures to interact with. That's setting it up to be seen as very strong, and I thought Terminal Gold was already considered too good for $4. So it's very interesting that even in first impressions something similar to it in power isn't really impressing anybody.

I wonder how strong a Terminal Gold actually is.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 12:38:50 pm »
+2

While terminal draw is indeed slightly better if it is delayed due to consistency increase, we have enough experience from Horses (the most clear cut example is Paddock) to know that non-terminal draw is better if it is immediate. The game has only around 15-18 turns on average, or perhaps less, so a benefit arriving one turn later (or never) matters a lot.

As Imrahil pointed out, the benchmark are Actions, i.e. an imaginary Market that voluntarily trashes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:40:55 pm by segura »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 12:58:20 pm »

I didn't get around to voting, but it's interesting how weak people are ranking Fortune Hunter.

It's very often at least a Terminal Gold and it has a few other tricks up its sleeve. It's also likely to come up in people's experiences in "extra plunder" games, giving it more Treasures to interact with. That's setting it up to be seen as very strong, and I thought Terminal Gold was already considered too good for $4. So it's very interesting that even in first impressions something similar to it in power isn't really impressing anybody.

I think it is a simple matter. LastFootnote has argued that Adventurer is a $2, i.e. digging for Treasure is not better than drawing. So Fortune Hunter is similar to +2 Coins, +1 Card which is weaker than Smithy. Smithy is a strong $4, so Fortune Hunter is a weak $4.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 12:59:12 pm »

Well, strictly worse than Treasurer, so it couldn't be priced at $5 or higher. Could well be in the sour spot where it's too strong at $4 and too weak at $5.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 01:09:35 pm »

Well, strictly worse than Treasurer, so it couldn't be priced at $5 or higher. Could well be in the sour spot where it's too strong at $4 and too weak at $5.
Well, Fortune Hunter and Gladiator indicate that a terminal Gold (something that is weaker than Smithy as pointed out above) is more of a $3.5 than a $4.5.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 01:10:48 pm »

That's what I thought, but now I'm less sure. I think we would have said the same thing about +3 Cards if Smithy didn't exist.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 03:41:20 pm »

same with Charlatan and Legionary.
I think 4$ would be a fine valuation. Maybe call it the axeman in honor of the deprecated Woodcutter

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 10:12:00 am »
+1

We finally got our copy of Plunder.  We've been playing the recommended sets--mostly because it bypasses the difficulty of biasing our randomizer app towards Plunder.  Somehow we ended up playing every single recommended set that included Frigate.  I'm sure everyone already knew this, but Frigate sure seems powerful, particularly against Pickaxe and Crucible.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 11:35:15 am »
+1

I'm sure everyone already knew this, but Frigate sure seems powerful, particularly against Pickaxe and Crucible.
No. Frigate is good against draw and neither of the cards you mentioned draws.
Actually Pickaxing your stuff into Loot seems like one of the best counters against Frigate. If you cannot build that draw engine, you pack as much power as you can into your stop cards.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:36:29 am by segura »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.