Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 52: It only gets Charter  (Read 1605 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 52: It only gets Charter
« on: December 23, 2022, 06:08:38 am »
+5

Charters are Duration-Events. Or Projects with an expiration date.

When you buy a Charter, put your cube on it (similar to a Project) and follow its instructions. That might be this turn, but the cube is there to keep track of the fact that you bought it. This allows for "next turn", "until then" and one off "when you" mechanics. Unfortunately, this also means you can't buy it multiple times at once. When you have done all the things the Charter asks you to do, remove your cube, and you can buy it again.

Here's some modified official events (I used the Duration colour for these mock ups):

Expedition is now safe from Militia and friends. You can choose your Summon when you're ready to play it, rather than when you buy it.

But you can do more with Charters, for example (analogue of sorts for Treasury):

You gain the Silver right away, and as long as your cube is on the Exchequer, you get +$1 at the start of your turns. Once you gain a Victory card, take your cube back.

I'll judge based on how much I'd look forward to games with the Charter. The design should make use of the fact it's a Charter, but I'm fine with simple "next turn" designs where there might be some way to do it as an Event.

In terms of naming, I had in mind promises, or contracts, or "charter a boat". But I'm not going to judge based on names.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 01:51:53 am by NoMoreFun »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 52: It only gets Charter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 12:34:27 pm »
+1

I presume the "next time" mechanic from Plunder would also work. As in:

Publicity Tour • $3 • Charter
The next time you gain a Victory card, gain a cheaper non-Victory card.
(Not my submission)
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 06:35:05 pm »

I presume the "next time" mechanic from Plunder would also work. As in:

Publicity Tour • $3 • Charter
The next time you gain a Victory card, gain a cheaper non-Victory card.
(Not my submission)

That's correct

StrangerSon712

• Swindler
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 10:56:40 pm »
+1

Hired Help $6 Charter
Until the end of your next turn, when you play an Action, first +1 Card and discard a card.

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 08:54:56 pm »
+2

Edit: Also I don't know if there's already one somewhere, so I fiddled with the color until it looked close enough to me; feel free to use my template
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:00:01 pm by czzzz »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 11:38:31 pm »
+2

Special Delivery - $4
Charter
Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply.
The next time you discard a card from Exile, gain a Horse.

Camel effect in a landscape form. Had this priced at $3, but that would create advantages if only some players got a $3/$4 start. The Horse gain gives a trigger to getting your cube back and justifies the cost.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 11:54:18 pm by Xen3k »

bigpotato

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 01:07:25 am »
+5

Get a Province, but later. Hopefully before the pile empties.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 01:50:45 am »
+2

Edit: Also I don't know if there's already one somewhere, so I fiddled with the color until it looked close enough to me; feel free to use my template

Thank you. I used the Duration colour. I will edit OP to specify

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 01:35:00 am »
+3

Hide - Charter - $2
+1 Buy
Until the start of your next turn, when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you.

There's pseudo Attack events, so I'd love a Pseudo-Moat.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 05:47:23 pm »
+1

Instructor - Charter, $4 cost.
When you play a card, if you don't have a copy of it in play, +1 Action, or if you do, this stops.
Treasures and Nights are checked so it can be cheaper. I thought 'this stops' would be better than 'remove your cube', since the effect ending is clearer.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 11:33:55 pm »
+1

Even better would probably be:

Until you have two copies of the same card in play, when you play a card, +1 Action.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +183
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 10:32:53 am »

Goldmine - $7 Charter
Until you play a Gold:
At the start of your turn, gain a Gold onto your deck.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 12:54:49 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Deployment • Charter • $3
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. The next time you play a copy of it, choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Action; or +1 Buy.

My submission is Deployment. It gains you an Action card (possibly at a small discount) and, the first time you play the card (or a copy of it), you do so with a boost, choosing a vanilla bonus (except +$1) to add to it. It can make that first play much stronger, but after that the card reverts to its normal power level.

I was initially concerned that it allows a player to open with 2 $4 Action cards, but so does Alms (which allows a player who opens $5/$2 to get a $5 Action and at $4 Action), so I don't think that's too busted. And the discount can't be abused later on with multiple buys, since a player can't buy it again until playing the card gained. On that note, I'd point out that if you gain a card and immediately play it on-gain (using, Innovation or City-State) it wouldn't trigger the giving of the bonus, since the on-gain abilities resolve before you continue resolving the Charter.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 01:39:57 pm »
+3

Money Wagon $3 Charter
Gain a Spoils.
The next time you play a Spoils,
gain a Horse.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:41:08 pm by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 02:19:01 pm »
+2

Paying for Coffers never worked but with this cool Event variant you can pull it off.

This could in theory lead to a stalemate in hyperslogs (no trashers, heavy junking like Cultist or Mountebank) in which the dominant strategy at a particular game stage is to only buy Plunder and cash it in for VPs. But I think that this does not occur, you do after all still have turns in which you buy other stuff besides Plunder.
This nonetheless makes me wonder whether the VP option is totally sound.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 02:32:11 pm »

Paying for Coffers never worked but with this cool Event variant you can pull it off.

This could in theory lead to a stalemate in hyperslogs (no trashers, heavy junking like Cultist or Mountebank) in which the dominant strategy at a particular game stage is to only buy Plunder and cash it in for VPs. But I think that this does not occur, you do after all still have turns in which you buy other stuff besides Plunder.

There's already an official card named Plunder.
he/him/his

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 02:44:57 pm »

There's already an official card named Plunder.
Sure, but this is a landscape so no rule issues with Doctor or Wishing Well.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 08:42:25 pm »
+4

Vow of Poverty
$0 Charter
The next time you play a Treasure costing $5 or more, gain a Curse.  Until then, at the start of your Buy phase, trash a card from your hand.

An improved Cathedral that Curses you if you ever break your vow by using Gold (or any other expensive Treasure).  The $0 cost is thematic and functionally isn't different from $2-3 in most cases since you'll want to buy it Turn 1-2 if at all.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 06:09:41 pm »
+2

24 Hour Warning

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2022, 05:49:21 am »
+1

Contest closed

I will judge soon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2023, 12:33:55 am »
+2

Vow of Poverty: Cathedral that you can turn off fairly intentionally (as you can get by without Gold in many games). Would have been more interesting if it triggered on any $5 or more card, not just treasures.  If this and Cathedral are on the board, you'd almost always buy this, especially as you have more flexibility around which cards you trash, though there's some interest in whether you'd buy both. I think games where Cathedral "backfires" and dealing with it are more interesting in terms of strategy than the strategic considerations here.

Plunder: I'm not judging on the basis of name, but I think is the first time I've seen someone intentionally name something the same as an official card/expansion, but with nothing interesting mechanically or particularly thematic. Not a fan.

I like the design itself. You want it to be active every turn of the game if you can. It's a no brainer to buy if you have $2 and there's no good $2s on the board, but are you really going to forego a Duchy to reactivate it later? The VP also complicates the late game in a way I enjoy. I'd prefer Cards/$/Actions to Horses/Coffers/Villagers.

Money Wagon: Nice and simple. Probably a bit weak because it will likely be 2 shuffles before you see the Horse. Not being able to buy multiples would grate more with this design than others.

Deployment: Tracking might be difficult. One which will be bought quite often because you pay $3 for a $4 card, and then +buy makes it interesting (and the card can give +buy). If it's the only +Action or +Buy on the board I can see some very interesting play.

Gold Mine: I like this. I think I'd like it more if it said "At the end of your buy phase" so that you could deactivate it immediately. Reminds me of Priest and Inventor - functional cards if you use the effect once, but also very interesting things can happen if you use the card to its fullest extent. Might not need to cost $7 as written (but would with my suggested change).

Instructor: I don't particularly like the "this stops" wording but it's fine. This is game shaping, but in a way I like. It would be fun to try and set up a chain of differently named actions that you can play reliably. Probably a bit too cheap but I'd like to playtest to know for sure.

Hide: Very simple, surprised this doesn't exist as an event (it's easy enough to remember buying it). Perhaps could give you a small bonus next turn (+$1?) to make it relevant in games without attacks. But the cost is right to make it a meaningful decision in games with attacks.

Claim: I think in most games people will buy this instead of their first province and then ignore it. There's some fun counterplay with remodel variants to avoid triggering claims until it's too late, but I can't see it coming up that often. Perhaps something involving duchies might be more fun? There's definitely a good idea here somewhere, just not as written.

Special Delivery: Not seeing much interesting here compared to Transport and Invest. There's a good concept in exiling a card, then the card getting out of exile being a trigger, but I don't imagine gaining a Horse changing the equation much.

Serfs: Very good. Encourages making a deck full of weaker cards which can be a lot of fun, and the +buy helps you keep buying those cards. This will also be interesting in games without other sources of +buy.

Hired Help: This is at its best in the late game to sift through green cards. Possibly too good an engine enabler but you miss out on a duchy to buy this so it's strategically interesting. Might take a bit too long to resolve in irl games.

WINNER:
Serfs by czzz

Runner up:
Deployment by emtzalex

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 03:22:33 pm »

Thank you!!!
Very sorry I didn't see it until now, I'll put up a new contest.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 07:51:23 pm »
+2

I didn't submit a card for this, but I like this mechanic.
I'm having trouble deciding if this one should cost $4 or $5.
It seems to me strong enough to cost $5, but it's pretty clearly weaker than a $5 Plunder (Comparing it to segura's Charter. -I agree it's confusing to name it Plunder, but I like it otherwise.)

Atheneum
$? - Charter
Put any number of cards on this from your hand or from play. At the start of your turns, put one in your hand, then discard a card.

...Now I think about it some more, probably I'll cost it at $4 and add a limit to number of cards set aside. Still have to decide how high to set the limit though.
Since I like this mechanic and also want to minimize the number of new fan mechanics I introduce to my group, I turned a few of the Mount effects into Charters as well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.