Dominion > Rules Questions

Throne Room + Quartermaster

(1/3) > >>

Jeebus:
I found it strange that Throning Quartermaster would not be like Throning Archive, keeping two sets of cards. Each play of Quartermaster is resolved as a separate ability that doesn't know anything about the other. Cards that are set aside are only known to the ability that set them aside. I guess that the explanation is that the Quartermaster card itself creates a zone, like a mat - very similar to the Native Village mat?

Then this must be different from all other cards that say to set aside "on this" or "under this"?

It also makes it seem like the cards on Quartermaster are actually in play, but of course the card text makes it clear that they are "set aside". It's just weird that they are set aside at the same time as they are literally placed in a zone that is in the "in play" zone.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: Jeebus on December 19, 2022, 07:08:29 am ---Then this must be different from all other cards that say to set aside "on this" or "under this"?

--- End quote ---

Why? Is there another card for which it doesn't make sense to say that "on this" is its own zone?

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: Jeebus on December 19, 2022, 07:08:29 am ---I found it strange that Throning Quartermaster would not be like Throning Archive, keeping two sets of cards. Each play of Quartermaster is resolved as a separate ability that doesn't know anything about the other. Cards that are set aside are only known to the ability that set them aside. I guess that the explanation is that the Quartermaster card itself creates a zone, like a mat - very similar to the Native Village mat?

Then this must be different from all other cards that say to set aside "on this" or "under this"?

It also makes it seem like the cards on Quartermaster are actually in play, but of course the card text makes it clear that they are "set aside". It's just weird that they are set aside at the same time as they are literally placed in a zone that is in the "in play" zone.

--- End quote ---
As usual it's just me trying to figure out what should happen based on card texts and rulebook entries (rather than, phrasing the cards to try to make it go one way or another). Archive refers to the three cards you set aside with it; so, separate sets. Quartermaster refers to cards set aside with it, and it's the same copy of Quartermaster.

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on December 19, 2022, 10:35:29 am ---
--- Quote from: Jeebus on December 19, 2022, 07:08:29 am ---Then this must be different from all other cards that say to set aside "on this" or "under this"?

--- End quote ---

Why? Is there another card for which it doesn't make sense to say that "on this" is its own zone?

--- End quote ---

In a zone like the Native Village mat, or the trash pile, or Quartmaster, the cards are interchangeable. On the other hand, abilities that set aside cards, set them aside separately from other such abilities. Each creates a different zone. When you Throne Haven, the two cards get set aside in different zones. This is clear with Archive; although it doesn't say "on this" (yet), it works exactly the same way as Haven. If Crypt were Thronable (which is perfectly possible with a theoretical Night Throne) it would certainly create two different, non-interchangeable zones like Archive.

These cards are technically set aside, meaning outside your play area. ("On this" and "under this" must have been added just as reminders, not because set aside cards technically are on or under the cards in play - which I think is confusing for abilities that care about cards in play.)

You can't claim that "set-aside land" is one zone either, because then Quartermaster would set aside cards in the same zone as Haven, so Quartermaster's zone wouldn't be distinct, so it would be impossible for a Throned Quartermaster to work the way the rulebooks says.

GendoIkari:
This almost seems like a blue dog thing to me. Haven uses "it", so we have to look back at the previous text to figure out what "it" means in "put it into your hand". And it seems to be best defined as "the card that you set aside when performing the first part of the instruction". In MTG terms, they are linked abilities. Archive is similar... "put one into your hand" is short for "put one of them into your hand", so what is "them"? "Them" seems to be "the 3 cards you set aside as part when performing the first part of the instruction."

Quartermaster doesn't use a pronoun to refer to the card you put into your hand. It simply says "a card from this". There could be a good argument that "from this" sounds like "from this ability" instead of "from this card", I suppose. But "from this card" is the interpretation the ruling works for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version