Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: * Plunder Previews #3: Loot *  (Read 8091 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
* Plunder Previews #3: Loot *
« on: December 14, 2022, 03:00:08 am »
+18

What are we plundering, anyway? We're plundering loot. So the set has some.

Loot is a pile of 30 cards, with 15 unique ones at 2 copies each. You shuffle it before the game, put it face down, and when something says "gain a Loot," you take the top one. You also have to show us all what you got. You can't just buy Loot; it's not in the Supply. Something has to tell you to gain one.

Let's see all 15.

As you can see, your basic loot is a Gold with +Buy and some other bonus. But some have no +Buy, and a few aren't a Gold.

Some cards that use Loot:

Sack of Loot just gains a Loot, with no hurdles beyond getting the Sack. There you go: some Loot.

Pickaxe is a trasher, and makes Loot if you trash a good enough card. This Loot goes straight to your hand though.

Wealthy Village requires you to get a variety of Treasures in play in order to get your Loot; otherwise it's just a Village for $5.

And Jewelled Egg needs to be trashed to make a Loot.

For the rest of the week I'll have a mix of Events and Traits for the landscapes. Here are today's:

Of course Events could involve Loot. Peril sends someone to their certain death, but you do get the Loot they were after.

Prosper gets you a pile of Treasures, or maybe just a Loot and a Gold; it's up to you and the board.

Cheap is another Trait, simply making a pile cheaper. This happens after setup; it can't affect what ends up being a Young Witch's bane or whatever.

Next time: next time.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: * Plunder Previews #3: Loot *
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 03:50:42 am »

Donald’s post.

I'm simply loving this! Can't wait to get this set to my tabletop!

So, unless we have some piles with a weird number of cards, I think we can now safely deduce that there won't be any Victory cards in this set. 40 Randomizers, 30 Loot and 30 combined Events/Traits means there are exactly 400 cards left in the set, so I assume all the kingdom cards will be in piles of 10.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 04:14:24 am by Oyvind »

JonnyGerman

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 04:38:24 am »
+2

For my money Dominion has all the randomness it needs in the shuffle. Cards like Castles and Tournament are my least favourite, introducing unnecessary randomness by giving players different opportunities by (mostly) pure chance. Loot looks to have the same problem, tho hopefully in a less swingy way as the loots are more similar to each other than, say, Princess and Followers.

I think it would have been better to take the most interesting 2 or 3 loots and make each of them a regular treasure.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 06:22:27 am »
+1

Prosper could be…prosperous.
-The Compulsive Completist

Sade

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 07:29:29 am »
+8

Monty Hall vs. a Dominion player:

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 08:00:52 am »

For my money Dominion has all the randomness it needs in the shuffle. Cards like Castles and Tournament are my least favourite, introducing unnecessary randomness by giving players different opportunities by (mostly) pure chance. Loot looks to have the same problem, tho hopefully in a less swingy way as the loots are more similar to each other than, say, Princess and Followers.

I think it would have been better to take the most interesting 2 or 3 loots and make each of them a regular treasure.

There is two loots of each. You can have a house rule for 2 player games, where you have separate piles. I think thats how I would play it, if I ever played with physical copies.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 08:15:51 am »
+7

Donald's Loot post.

I'm simply loving this! Can't wait to get this set to my tabletop!

Could you maybe not quote the entire giant post with tons of images right below the giant post with tons of images?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 08:24:01 am »

Loot's effects on the game seem more like Black Market than Tournament prizes to me.

Now that we know what loots are and how strong they are individually (Gold+, not Spoils-like nor Silvers with abilities), I still wonder what the $7 King's Cache is. A treasure that gains a loot to hand? Possibly loot OR a treasure? Playing a treasure 3 times a la King's Court seems less likely to me now, but still plausible. It could even be a duration loot gainer if the set needs that, though I would think there's a different card for that.
My opponent has more loot than me

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 08:52:37 am »

What is the cost of Cheap Wayfarer?

At the start of the turn: $5?
When I gain a Wayfarer: $4?
When I gain a Silver: $2?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 09:20:14 am »
+3

What is the cost of Cheap Wayfarer?

At the start of the turn: $5?
When I gain a Wayfarer: $4?
When I gain a Silver: $2?

Cost reduction only applies to Wayfarer's default cost, so:

At the start of the turn: $5
When I gain a Wayfarer: <no change> [Wayfarer doesn't copy itself - "last other card gained"]
When I gain a Silver: $3

Note that this is the same as with Ferry or Family of Inventors.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 09:59:56 am »
+5

I guess since Loot isn't in the supply, there doesn't need to be a special type for cards that refer to them to remind you to get the Loot pile and shuffle it at the beginning of the game? Which is a shame; they could have been called "Ruiners" for maximum confusion.

(More seriously, I am a little confused that there are types that mean you need to prepare the Boons or Hexes during setup, but not one for Loot even though the setup needs appear to be the same.)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 10:01:52 am »
+1

Ooh, are Loot cards the first pile of cards not in the Supply that don't say "This is not in the Supply"?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 10:22:03 am »
+4

Crazy how much different Prosper is in games with Platinum vs not.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 10:24:48 am »

I guess since Loot isn't in the supply, there doesn't need to be a special type for cards that refer to them to remind you to get the Loot pile and shuffle it at the beginning of the game? Which is a shame; they could have been called "Ruiners" for maximum confusion.

(More seriously, I am a little confused that there are types that mean you need to prepare the Boons or Hexes during setup, but not one for Loot even though the setup needs appear to be the same.)

Yeah as I recall, the reason Spoils-gainers didn't get a special type was that there was no setup need when playing games with Spoils, but games with Boons required you to shuffle the Boons. Loot definitely seems the same as Boons in that way.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 10:36:39 am »
+9

Jewels really should have been named Pearl :(
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 10:43:28 am »
+1

Also, boo, Loots are not landscape.  >:(

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 10:50:41 am »
+1

Any particular reason the top Loot card isn't face up like it would be with Ruins or Knights?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 10:54:57 am »
+6

Any particular reason the top Loot card isn't face up like it would be with Ruins or Knights?

Knights and Ruins are in the supply and so can be bought, so it's not an option to have the top one hidden. Thematically, you don't know what sort of loot you're going to find until you find it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 11:05:34 am »
+1

Oh man, Prosper is going to be fun with Fortune and Bank and King's Cache, which I predict will be a treasure tripler that has some additional effect.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2022, 11:32:47 am »
+2

It's going to be a bit confusing that the "Looter" cards from Dark Ages (only Death Cart, Marauder, and Cultist) don't give you Loot--I always thought the type should have been a different name for those cards. Most people playing the game a long time likely won't be confused, but I would think it would be confusing for newer players playing with multiple expansions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2022, 12:14:59 pm »
+1

Oh man, Prosper is going to be fun with Fortune and Bank and King's Cache, which I predict will be a treasure tripler that has some additional effect.

Don't forget Pendant.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2022, 01:31:13 pm »

Storyteller + Staff could get rather interesting - play an Action card in the middle of resolving Storyteller!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2022, 01:37:42 pm »

Storyteller + Staff could get rather interesting - play an Action card in the middle of resolving Storyteller!

Oh, wait, I just realized that possibility already existed with Crown, so it's not a new possibility (and also Spell Scroll would work that way)
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2022, 02:18:03 pm »

And Merchant Guild.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2022, 02:20:27 pm »
+4

Yeah as I recall, the reason Spoils-gainers didn't get a special type was that there was no setup need when playing games with Spoils, but games with Boons required you to shuffle the Boons. Loot definitely seems the same as Boons in that way.

Giving Loot-gainers a type would have required either not doing events and traits that give you loot or introducing dual-type landscapes, which we've never seen.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.