Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: * Plunder Previews #1: Treasures & Events *  (Read 5701 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
* Plunder Previews #1: Treasures & Events *
« on: December 12, 2022, 03:00:08 am »
+23

I know what you're thinking. What this year needs is more Dominion. Well I'm here to satisfy that need. Starting with previews.

Plunder is a crazy huge set, with 40 kingdom cards and 30 landscapes. I'll be previewing a tenth of the set each day for 5 days, meaning at the end you'll have seen half of it (not counting Loot, whatever that is). The two central themes are Treasures and Durations; "Plunder" is the intersection of the sea and loot. Today, let's check out the Treasures theme.

Tools is just some new Treasure. There are a bunch and this is one of them. It gains copies of things in play, which plays into the Durations theme; a little preview of tomorrow's preview.

Pendant is a Treasure that cares about Treasures; why not have some of those. You will compare it to Bank, but it's really its own animal.

Mining Road is a non-Treasure that cares about Treasures. It makes one leap into play, which is bound to be handy. And gives you +Buy, so it's useful even if you're only gaining Treasures by buying them.

Finally Rope is a Treasure-Duration; there will be more of these to come! Like rope, it's versatile.

Wait, I need landscapes too. There are Events, let's start with 3 of those.

Bury puts a card on the bottom of your deck; I nailed the flavor there. You can bury a bunch of cards and set up some future turn. Or just draw a particular card a little faster than you might otherwise.

Maelstrom is a trasher, and maybe helps the other players, maybe attacks them.

Prepare is an exciting one. All your unusable cards - and any others you feel like saving - leap into play for you on your next turn.

As usual, previewed cards will be playable at dominion.games through the week. Tomorrow: Durations & Traits.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: * Plunder Previews #1: Treasures & Events *
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 04:43:15 am »

I’m loving those Events!
-The Compulsive Completist

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 04:52:36 am »
+1

I’m loving those Events!
The only thing with an Event like Maelstrom is that you'd often also want to trash some of the cards which helped pay for it, such as Coppers.
So it would have been better if it could also trash cards in play, but oh well.

Prepare could be really powerful if there are a lot of terminals (and not so many villages) and at least one source of +Buy.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 05:36:29 am »
+3

Tools looks very busted with stuff like King's Court or City Quarter, or just about any 5 cost that you'd want as many copies of as possible. But I guess the testing team thinks otherwise. (or is the team doing too much now?)

Rest looks really cool though.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 05:39:01 am »
+3

My first game was with Tools, Mining Road, and Collection. Casual 146 VP three-pile by turn 15
My opponent has more loot than me

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 06:54:43 am »
+4

Tools looks very busted with stuff like King's Court or City Quarter, or just about any 5 cost that you'd want as many copies of as possible. But I guess the testing team thinks otherwise. (or is the team doing too much now?)

Rest looks really cool though.

Tools is absolutely busted, but it's not busted in an unfun way by e.g. being too swingy or making boring strategies too strong. It just makes strategies that are already fun to play stronger.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 07:31:12 am »

Tools looks very busted with stuff like King's Court or City Quarter

Those cards will rarely be in play when you play Tools

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 07:36:15 am »
+1

If your deck is good enough to afford one of them, your deck is good enough to most often have one in play when you play Tools.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 07:49:33 am »
+2

If your deck is good enough to afford one of them, your deck is good enough to most often have one in play when you play Tools.

Of course, ANYONE not just opponents :facepalm:

dpm

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 09:02:45 am »
+2

Maestrom enables a semi-pin in which you can limit your opponent to owning just 4 cards.  Have them draw up their deck using Council Room and then buy Maestrom a bunch of times. 

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 09:15:40 am »
+2

Maestrom enables a semi-pin in which you can limit your opponent to owning just 4 cards.  Have them draw up their deck using Council Room and then buy Maestrom a bunch of times.
If we could go back in time, we could have replaced "Attack" with "Interaction" so you could at least block forced drawing with Council Room with Moat.  ::)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 09:19:44 am »
+3

Nah, too complicated. If the goal were to avoid this type of pin you'd much sooner replace "draws" with "may draw" on Council Room.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 10:13:07 am »

Great cards!

Maelstrom could have been twice per turn, which wouldn’t meaningfully change its utility as a trasher but would limit any pins.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 10:22:46 am »
+1

Maelstrom could have been twice per turn, which wouldn’t meaningfully change its utility as a trasher but would limit any pins.
Or just add an "if you did" clause.

dpm

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 10:42:27 am »
+2

Or just add an "if you did" clause.

Trash 3 Fortresses.  :) 

(I suppose this would require your opponent to not have the foresight to have a Fortress themselves.) 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 10:44:08 am by dpm »

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 11:16:36 am »
+4

House setup rule for Bury:

If Pearl Diver is available and hasn't been placed in your local landfill yet, add it as an 11th kingdom pile.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 12:32:45 pm »
+1

I wonder how often it's good to use Prepare as a village. Just buy too many terminals and play them every other turn for $3 and a buy.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 12:40:16 pm »
+1

Mining Road could be used as a sort of Copper version of Desperation - gain an extra $1 at the cost of adding a Copper to your deck. But of course, it would be especially strong with gainers. It would also effectively work as a discount on Treasure cards (albeit on only one Treasure card per Mining Road you've played). Buy a Gold for $6, play it for +$3, and it's like buying a Gold for $3 (... Mining Road + Highway would be a good combo here - with 3 Highways that Gold is effectively free, and with more than 3 Highways, you're netting +coins). Mining Road + Tools seems like it could be really overpowered, since Tools can gain a Treasure card you played before it, and Mining Road would let you immediately play that card (imagine that combo in a game with Platinum!).

Tools in general seems potentially overpowered. It's like a much stronger version of Changeling, since you don't have to trash it to gain, and it can even gain a Duration card that someone else has in play (or Reaction cards that go into play like Sheepdog). The only place where Changeling is stronger is that Tools can't gain non-Duration Night cards and the lack of Changeling's exchange mechanism, but neither of those is relevant in a lot of games. So in general, it's going to play like a stronger Changeling. It's gonna be really strong with expensive cards like King's Court or Grand Market with its Copper restriction. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in practice, since the fact that it made it through playtesting suggests that it's not as busted as it appears at first glance

Rope looks pretty strong, especially in games with junking attacks (although limited by the fact that you can only trash from your starting hand each turn), but even after you've trashed all your junk, the duration draw would still be useful, comparable in a way to Supplies which is also a Copper on-play that nets an extra +1 Card in your next hand

One interesting use of Prepare that I can see is that if you'll be reshuffling for your next hand, you could use it to keep any Victory cards in your hand out of the shuffle (potential Scout combo here!) - of course, that'll normally only work if you have 4 or fewer cards in your deck at the end of your turn (duration draw or things like an opponent's Council Room could let it work with more than that of course), so for it to work consistently, you'd need a strong deck-drawing engine - but in kingdoms that favor such engines, it'll be very strong! It could also serve as a counter to Haunted Woods - buy it first and you'll have nothing in your hand when Haunted Woods' attack is triggered. One downside is that Prepare would clash with Night cards - you can only buy Prepare before you get the chance to play any Night cards, and those Night cards won't get played at the start of your next turn (with the obvious exception of Werewolf, which would be played for the +3 cards at the start of turn), but games with both Prepare and Night cards aren't going to come up that often, so that's a fairly minor downside

It's interesting that Malestrom doesn't have an "if you did" clause. You could potentially use it as a pure Attack without trashing any of your cards, although that potential is limited by not knowing (in most cases) whether your opponent will benefit or hurt from trashing a card in their hand. I'm wondering if a version was tested that either had an "if you did" clause or had "may trash" for your opponents
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 01:40:41 pm »
+1

Mining Road + Capitalism would be a very strong combo!
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 01:54:58 pm »
+1

Combine that with a few highways or even just a quarry/ferry and you can practically have one Mining Road in play to pile out the rest

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2022, 02:12:09 pm »

Bury seems interesting to me in that it's mostly the equivalent of Order of the Astrologers*, costing a coin instead of a favor, except:
• you can't buy a card and then use it on that card, unless you have +buys from elsewhere
• some advanced techniques where you might move a card to the bottom, in order to prevent a shuffle, thereby getting your current (or next hand) into the discard first

* Since putting a card on the bottom of your deck is similar to being on the top of your deck after a shuffle
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:39:01 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 02:35:32 pm »

Not earth-shattering, but Mining Road + Stockpile makes a nice combo. With a MR, you can gain a Stockpile, play it (covering the cost and then Exiling it), then discard it from Exile (along with any other copies you already had there).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2022, 02:38:11 pm »
+5

In principle this could work, but even with 10 CRs played they usually won't have drawn their entire deck. Also, with $40 and 10 buys to spare, you can usually just win the game instead of pinning your opponent. ;)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2022, 03:09:57 pm »
+2

In principle this could work, but even with 10 CRs played they usually won't have drawn their entire deck. Also, with $40 and 10 buys to spare, you can usually just win the game instead of pinning your opponent. ;)

Yeah, agreed, Maelstrom pins are really not a thing that will ever happen in the wild (just like KC-Goons-Masqurade pins almost never happened in actual games). I think in like over 90% of times Maelstrom gets bought, it will benefit (or at least not harm) your opponent. Even just spending $4 to make them maybe trash a Silver or an engine component feels like a very bad use of money if you're not getting benefit from the trashing.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2022, 03:45:48 pm »

Mining Road + Treasure Trove is an interesting combo, letting you play the Gold immediately. It's also a great combo with cards that gain Spoils, letting you play the Spoils immediately
They/them
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.