Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #170: 2/7 Offsuit  (Read 4989 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #170: 2/7 Offsuit
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2022, 10:16:01 pm »

Soldiers Village
cost $2 - Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player reveals their hand.
You may play an Attack card from your hand.
---
When you gain this, gain another Soldiers Village (that doesn't come with another).

Armed Smithy
cost $7* - Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player discards an Action or an Treasure (or reveals they can't), and draws until they have 4 cards in hand.
---
This costs $1 less per an Attack card you have in play.

8 Soldiers Villages are on 4 Armed Smithies.

EDIT: cost changed ($6 was too easy to gain).
EDIT: added an Attack to peek other player's hand.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 10:16:42 am by majiponi »

n_sanity

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2022, 10:33:58 pm »
+1

My entry is the Burglar

It's a simple Exile attack, similar to the Cardinal, but it's non-terminal, and it always hits. Also unlike the Cardinal, it doesn't hit itself. I imagine this is going to do quite a lot of damage to everyone's decks in games using this.

Gaining a bunch of Gold and Silver is probably the best way to defend against this (that I can think of).

I went for raw power here, to make it cost $7, rather than adding a non-Attack effect onto it.

EDIT: Slightly changed formatting on card.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:43:55 pm by n_sanity »

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 01:48:41 am »
+6

A little draw, a little attack, and a little on-trash effect. The attack is just anti-Guide, which I think is funny.

It's based on the Filipino mythological creature, the Kapre. They live in trees, making travelers lose their way for their entertainment (hence the anti-Guide). They have a white stone; if you can steal it, they grant you a wish (a Silver since this is a $2-cost).

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2022, 04:38:08 am »

Consul
Action - Reserve - Attack
$2

+1 Action

Put this on your tavern mat.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
At the start of your turn you may call this to reveal a card from your hand. Each other discards a copy of the card (or reveals a hand with no copies).

This doesn't quite work as an Attack since all official cards that care about Attacks care about when an Attack card is played, but this doesn't attack on play, it attacks on call.

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't think of that. Probably explains why there are no Attack-Reserves.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 01:34:22 pm »
+1

This is my entry this week

Eternal Struggle
$7
Action - Duration - Attack
Discard the top card of your deck. Look through your discard pile; you may play a Treasure from it. Each other player draws a card, then each other player with 5 or more cards in hand puts cards from their hand onto their deck until they have 4 cards in hand.
At the start of your next turn, replay this.

This card should be a weak attack but a constant one. If opponents but one for them selves they mitigate the attack by a bit. Unlike Hireling this new card replays itself forever and I did this so other players can use a reaction card each time to help with memory issues.

Snes

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2022, 04:06:52 pm »

Judge question: Could we submit an Attack that costs 7* and has an ability that lets you gain it for a different cost, similar to cards like Animal Fair and Peddler?
Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2022, 05:50:01 pm »
+2

Judge question: Could we submit an Attack that costs 7* and has an ability that lets you gain it for a different cost, similar to cards like Animal Fair and Peddler?

Variable cost and overpay are both allowed. I'll edit my original post.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2022, 05:53:09 pm »
+2

Soldiers Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
---
When you gain this, gain another Soldiers Village (that doesn't come with another).

Armed Smithy
cost $6 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player discards an Action or an Treasure (or reveals they can't), and draws until they have 4 cards in hand.
---

Neat effects, but unfortunately I don't think I can accept this one as it is. The card that is a two cost is not really an Attack, and the card that is an Attack isn't a 2 or 7 cost. You could buff the second card so that it costs 7, then it would qualify.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2022, 06:58:26 pm »
+3

Goblin Village - $2
Action - Duration - Attack - Looter
+2 Actions
At the start of your next turn, you may discard a card for +$1.
If this is the first time you played an Attack this turn, each other player gains a Ruins.

A Necropolis and delayed Copper with a once per turn Looter junking attack for $2. The Actions on play allow players to enable terminal draws or at least allow Ruins to be played. Compared to to Marauder, it does not have the same acceleration with the Spoils, so I am hoping the weak effects allow it to be an $2 cost Looter. Not sure how appealing a $2 cost Junker is, but it will never junk more than once a turn and it being a Duration will slow it further. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Nerfed the coin gain to require a discard and the attack now only triggers if it was the first attack played for the turn. Feels more like a $2 now.

Old Version
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:08:42 pm by Xen3k »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2022, 07:25:49 am »
+2

Marauder is bad because it doesn’t do anything useful for you engine-wise. Sure, the Spoils is nice, but you would much prefer it to give vanilla stuff instead. For example +2 Coins would be better than gaining a Spoils.
So is a semi-delayed Squire better? Hard to tell, but a splitter is more necessary for engine play than an effect which is worse than a terminal Silver. So I guess that it is too cheap at $2.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2022, 07:50:49 pm »
+8

Almoner
$2 Action - Attack
Each player (including you) gains a Copper.
Reveal up to 3 Coppers from your discard pile and put them into your hand.
Edit:  Modified card.
Edit 2:  Incorporated SignError's updated wording.  Thanks, SignError.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:39:00 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2022, 12:27:27 am »
+2

Almoner
$2 Action - Attack
Each player (including you) gains a Copper.
Then, look through your discard pile and put up to 3 Coppers from it, revealed, into your hand.
Edit: Modified card.

Almoner can use something like Settlers’ updated wording:  “Reveal up to 3 Coppers from your discard pile and put them into your hand.”  Note that you don’t need the “you may” whenever you use “up to” wording, because “up to 3” includes 0.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2022, 12:56:14 pm »
+9

Faun - $2
Action - Attack

Choose two different things: +1 Card; +1 Action; gain a Faun; trash a card from your hand, and if it’s an Action, each other player
gains a Curse.

I wanted to do a combination of Goat and Witch.  Once I decided on the Faun theming, I mixed in some Pawn for the rhymes.  I went with Scrap’s wording, which is a little shorter than "the choices must be different."  You have to work to hand out the Curses, but at $2 you can’t ask too much.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:11:01 am by SignError »

nagdon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2022, 02:20:34 pm »
+3

Very simple card, but I think "players start building until they reach $7, then the cursing starts" would be an interesting situation that is not covered by the usual "buy it as your first $5 card" Witches. (The closest official cards are probably Cauldron or Black Cat, but they tend to dump heaps of curses at once, which is a very different experience.) The high cost also means that the "attacks should be terminal" rule is less relevant (you probably won't own too many copies of a card that costs $7) – so I used Laboratory as the vanilla bonus of this card to further differentiate it from other cursing attacks.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2022, 05:55:27 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Dragon • $7 • Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals they can't).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2022, 06:03:06 pm »
+2

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2022, 06:26:27 pm »
+4

My Submission:

+3 Cards
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals they can't).

Double Lab is already too strong for , let alone double Lab + trashing + an Attack.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2022, 07:00:41 pm »

My Submission:

+3 Cards
+1 Action

Double Lab is already too strong for , let alone double Lab + trashing + an Attack.

But the trashing limits its usefulness as an engine component. Having multiple copies of it will strip all of the junk out of your deck and start costing you cards you want. Unless you have gainers/+Buy (or Fortress), it will eventually come back to bite you.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2022, 07:14:14 pm »
+3

My Submission:

+3 Cards
+1 Action

But the trashing limits its usefulness as an engine component. Having multiple copies of it will strip all of the junk out of your deck and start costing you cards you want. Unless you have gainers/+Buy (or Fortress), it will eventually come back to bite you.

The same can be said of a bunch of mandatory trashers that are priced as if trashing is an upside.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

nagdon

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 02:15:08 am »

On a $3 or $4 mandatory trashing increases the price, because it's very useful in the beginning of the game, but when you can afford and play a $7 card, the game is already very close to the end (and there is a high chance that your junk is already trashed), so the trashing becomes a net negative.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 08:58:27 am »
+1

One of the rare cards to use +1 Card without +1 Action. Attack's nice, but you only get a cantrip Militia if you collide three of these. Uh, good luck.
they/them

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 10:25:41 am »
+1

One of the rare cards to use +1 Card without +1 Action. Attack's nice, but you only get a cantrip Militia if you collide three of these. Uh, good luck.

Picket is extremely weak, even at $2. Its effect on it´s own is worse than a cantrip. For $4 you get what Urchin does better for just $3 without needing the collision. Furthermore, if you want to actually collide any number of them, you will need to wait until you have all of them in hand, which makes them extra stop-cards you need to draw through until then.

nagdon

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2022, 11:51:29 am »

Its effect *is* a cantrip with a quirky wording. "You may play an Action from your hand." is not exactly equivalent to "+1 Action" (it matters for thrones etc), but it's not significantly weaker. I'd personally prefer e.g. something like "+1 Card +1 Action If the Action card you played just before this is also a Picket, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.", but the current text is also correct.

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2022, 12:21:39 pm »
+2

On a $3 or $4 mandatory trashing increases the price, because it's very useful in the beginning of the game, but when you can afford and play a $7 card, the game is already very close to the end (and there is a high chance that your junk is already trashed), so the trashing becomes a net negative.

But if the game is that close to ending, trashing an engine component doesn't matter nearly as much as trashing one early on.  You may not even get to (or need to) play it again anyway.  Also it's not that hard to get an early $7 on most kingdoms.  Regardless, $7 for a double lab that trashes and attacks is wild.  If this mandatory trashing is being used as a negative, it's not nearly negative enough.  Maybe it would work if it made you trash something that costs $4 or more, or something like that.  Kinda fits the theme of a wild dragon too.

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2022, 12:27:53 pm »
+2

Soldiers Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
---

Armed Smithy
cost $7* - Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
---

EDIT: cost changed ($6 was too easy to gain).

Does Soldier's Village need the attack type? It doesn't appear to attack at all
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.