Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #170: 2/7 Offsuit  (Read 4995 times)

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #170: 2/7 Offsuit
« on: November 30, 2022, 10:55:05 am »
+7

Weekly Design Contest #170: 2/7 Offsuit

Design an Attack card that costs either or .

Official cards that meet the requirement are Black Cat.

Card/card-shaped-things that do not qualify no matter the cost are as follows: Raid (Not a card), Masquerade/Possession (Not Attacks.)

Just because an Attack card has a high cost doesn't mean it needs a powerful Attack part. Look at Goons as a past example.

Split piles, non-Supply cards, and card-shaped-things are fine, but please limit your submissions to 2 cards/card-shaped-things. I don't want to judge a 4-way split pile or Traveller line.

Variable cost and overpay are allowed, as long as the original cost is either 2 or 7.

Contest will close approximately 168 hours from now (7 days.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 05:50:49 pm by kru5h »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #170: 2/7 Offsuit
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 03:19:30 pm »
+1

I had a card idea and as a way to mitigate its effect, I thought i should put it as the bottom part of a split pile.

Randomizer: Silver Thief/Gold Thief: This pile starts the game with one plus one per player copies of each card. All copies of Silver Thief are on top.

Silver Thief ($4, Action-Attack): Each other player trashes a Silver or reveals a hand with no Silver. You may gain one Silver from the Trash to your hand. Otherwise trash two Silvers from the Supply.

Gold Thief ($7, Action-Attack): Each other player trashes a Gold or reveals a hand with no Gold. You may gain one Gold from the Trash to your hand. Otherwise trash two Golds from the Supply.

This attacks players, robbing them of their Treasures. If it was unsuccessful, it preloads the Trash for future gaining to keep the failure likelihood low. I thought about making this a reaction, but it becomes too wordy and its wordy enough.

20221202: added cards.
20221205: updated cards with better wording
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:00:39 pm by BryGuy »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 06:35:29 pm »
+1

Official landscapes that hurt other players (e.g. Raid) don't say "Attack" on them. Does that disqualify them from this competition?

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 06:53:28 pm »
+3

Retired Militia : Action - Attack : $2
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
You may trash this for +2 Villagers.

It's cheap, it's a handsize attack and in a pinch it's a village. Of course, you'd rather be playing Militia.
There are more powerful 2-costs out there.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:42:08 pm »
+1

Official landscapes that hurt other players (e.g. Raid) don't say "Attack" on them. Does that disqualify them from this competition?

I'm going to stick with my original wording: That is, you must submit a card and it must contain the "Attack" type. Raid, Possession, and Masquerade wouldn't count. You may get creative with it, though, by submitting an Event that would gain a non-Supply Attack card costing 2 or 7, but that seems likely to be more work than it's worth.

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 10:11:10 pm »
+7

I had a card idea and as a way to mitigate its effect, I thought i should put it as the bottom part of a split pile.

Randomizer: Silver Thief/Gold Thief: This pile starts the game with one plus one per player copies of each card. All copies of Silver Thief are on top.

Silver Thief ($4, Action-Attack): Each other player trashes a Silver or reveals a hand with no Silver. You may gain one Silver from the Trash to your hand. At Clean-up if you gained no Silver this turn, trash two Silvers from the Supply.

Gold Thief ($7, Action-Attack): Each other player trashes a Gold or reveals a hand with no Gold. You may gain one Gold from the Trash to your hand. At Clean-up if you gained no Gold this turn, trash two Golds from the Supply.

This attacks players, robbing them of their Treasures. If it was unsuccessful, it preloads the Trash for future gaining to keep the failure likelihood low.

Why do you always write in that font/color text style?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 10:38:20 pm »

Soldiers Village
cost $2 - Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play an Attack card from your hand.
---
When you gain this, gain another Soldiers Village (that doesn't come with another).

Soldiers Village pile had 16 copies instead of 10.

EDIT: This post is discarded.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:54:36 am by majiponi »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 11:57:04 pm »
+2

Soldiers Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
---
When you gain this, gain another Soldiers Village (that doesn't come with another).

This isn't really an "Attack" card as it doesn't do anything to other players. Being able to Village play other attacks is a pretty good idea, but the card itself is just that, a village. With a bottom split pile card this could work well though.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 12:02:46 am »
+4

Broomstick

Action - Attack ($2)

Revisiting an old idea with this one! Broomstick is a curser that throws all the stipulations of most other cursers out the window. You don't want it early as you won't be able to activate the attack portion, and even when Curses are being flung about, you oftentimes won't be giving out more than one a turn. Like Leprechaun, it works well with Throne variants, and also has interesting interactions with cost reduction.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 05:53:40 am »
+1

Broomstick

Action - Attack ($2)

Revisiting an old idea with this one! Broomstick is a curser that throws all the stipulations of most other cursers out the window. You don't want it early as you won't be able to activate the attack portion, and even when Curses are being flung about, you oftentimes won't be giving out more than one a turn. Like Leprechaun, it works well with Throne variants, and also has interesting interactions with cost reduction.

Isnt this basically impossible without villages? Maybe it could play up to 3 treasures so you have a better chance to actually get the effect off?

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 06:20:00 am »
+1

The Legend of Night and Day
Night- Duration - Attack
7$

Set aside any number of cards you would discard from play this turn, face up (under this). While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, put one or two of them into your hand. While cards are under this, neither player can play more than one copy of cards with that name per turn.

The warlord of crypts. Set aside a village to disrupt their engine? A gold to stop BM? The possibilities are endless! You could be hurt by this, but you decide what to take off the banlist at the start of your turn, so that should be fine. This overwrites cards that would normally force you to play cards, like golem for example.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 08:21:46 am »
+1

Broomstick

Action - Attack ($2)

Isnt this basically impossible without villages? Maybe it could play up to 3 treasures so you have a better chance to actually get the effect off?

Or Durations. If you had a Hireling and a Haunted Woods in play, this would trigger (or Hireling/Contract).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 08:55:33 am »
+2

Soldiers Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
---

This isn't really an "Attack" card as it doesn't do anything to other players. Being able to Village play other attacks is a pretty good idea, but the card itself is just that, a village. With a bottom split pile card this could work well though.

Nice idea to split!  I'll make the bottom card.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 10:49:20 am »
+7

I've tried a few $2 Attacks before, so let's try a $7 cost. School of Witchcraft is an Action-Attack-Victory that gains $5s and Curses opponents if they have an Attack in their hand (rival schools don't really like each other I guess). You also get points for each unique Attack card you have at the end of the game. Obviously a more powerful Alt-VP strategy on boards with lots of different Attacks, but should still be worth going for even when it's the only Attack. You of course will likely get Cursed more though if you have more Attacks. Hufflepuff forever.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 10:54:21 am »
+6

Malevolent Witch
- Action Duration Attack
You may discard a Duchy. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.
At start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

Notes: The combination of requiring the discard of a Duchy and it being a duration limits how soon and how quickly it can curse.

The flavor is inspired by the witch in Sleeping Beauty exacting revenge after feeling slighted (Beauty and the Beast is similar).

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 01:03:08 pm »
+3

Not-quite Idol/Fool's Gold curser. Cursing other people is good, but how many effective Silvers do you want to add to your deck to do that?
they/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 03:48:07 pm »
+5

Bottom text

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 04:07:22 pm »
+2

This card seems weak in games in which it is the only attack. If no one else buys one, its attack will never connect, leaving it as an expensive source of "gain a $5" with 1 VP (which is not very relevant at the time when you want "gain a $5").

I don't have a specific solution, but its attack already makes it stronger in games with other attacks. Does it need to be a scaling VP based on attacks as well?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 04:42:19 pm »
+2

Even with all these mitigations this looks too nasty for a $2.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 05:39:52 pm »

*Card withdrawn following feedback. Having another think.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 04:38:41 am by xyz123 »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 07:47:08 pm »
+1

Consul
Action - Reserve - Attack
$2

+1 Action

Put this on your tavern mat.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
At the start of your turn you may call this to reveal a card from your hand. Each other discards a copy of the card (or reveals a hand with no copies).

This doesn't quite work as an Attack since all official cards that care about Attacks care about when an Attack card is played, but this doesn't attack on play, it attacks on call.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:20 pm »
+1

Even with all these mitigations this looks too nasty for a $2.

This is definitely possible, though I'm having a hard time assessing why it would be, given that it doesn't do anything for the player who plays it and it doesn't help the first mover to hit , unlike Cutpurse and Militia. In fact, it might just make your opponents hit before you do.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 08:31:13 pm »
+3

Not-quite Idol/Fool's Gold curser. Cursing other people is good, but how many effective Silvers do you want to add to your deck to do that?

This is way too good compared to Cauldron. Colliding two cost cards is almost always a much smaller ask than gaining 3 Action cards in the same turn.

I'd argue that this should cost , especially so that you can't open with two of them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:33:56 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 09:05:56 pm »

I'd argue that this should cost , especially so that you can't open with two of them.

...Yeah, good point. Entry retracted until I can think of something better.
they/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 09:11:56 pm »
+2

Usurper
Action/Duration/Attack - $7
At the start of your next turn, gain a Gold, or a non-Victory card from the trash, to your hand. Until then, at the start of clean up, each other player trashes the first card costing $5 or more they discard from play on their turn.

Note: You can choose the order you discard cards from play. The wording is so that multiple Usurpers still only hit one card.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 20 queries.