Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 49: Some Enchanted Evening  (Read 2147 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 49: Some Enchanted Evening
« on: November 20, 2022, 11:00:38 pm »
+3

For Week 49, I have chosen Something_Smart's Enchantments. Enchantment cards are playable cards which, in addition to any on-play effect, have a below-the-line ability that lets you "enchant" another card you gained. Your task is to

Design an Enchantment card.

Here is Something_Smart's explanation for how these work:

When you gain a card, you may optionally enchant it with an Enchantment card in your hand or one that you have in play. You may only enchant each gained card once. Some Enchantments might have restrictions what cards they can enchant.

When you enchant a card, immediately set aside the Enchantment card along with the card being enchanted. Both cards will remain there for the rest of the game, and the Enchantment will provide some permanent effect based on the card enchanted. Neither the Enchantment nor the card enchanted is considered in play. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Enchantment/card combos do not stack; you may set an Enchantment aside with a card if you already have a copy of that Enchantment set aside with a copy of that card, but it will have no effect.

Here are some examples Something_Smart made:

Feel free to use any other official or fan card mechanics, and any number of supporting cards/landscapes. You just need to design (at least) one Enchantment card.

I made a template if you to use in mocking them up.

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors for me are:
  • balance -- is the card useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms);
  • playability -- the card is fun to play and works in more than one type of deck;
  • simplicity -- this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is hard to understand;
  • topicality -- the card (or cards) uses the mechanic in an interesting way;
The deadline for submissions will be 05:00 UTC / 12:00 a.m. Eastern/Forum time on Monday, November 28, 2022. Please let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:06:52 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 49: Some Enchanted Evening
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 12:34:49 am »
+1

A couple of quick preemptive rules answers/notes:
  • Something_Smart doesn't specify this, when you Enchant a card, the card and the Enchantment should be considered set aside.
  • In so doing, I think the gained card should be placed on top, with the Enchantment below (showing only the below-the-line language). I'd suggest this convention for a circumstance where
  • Note that an Enchantment enchants a card not a pile. If you enchant a Patrician, it has no impact on Emporium.
  • You can enchant a card you gain with either a card you have in play or with a card in your hand.
  • This means that you could have a Night - Enchantment without having to worry about not being able to Enchant a card with it in play (although you'll have to choose between playing the card and using to enchant a card you gain during you Buy phase.
  • You could, in theory, even have a non-playable Enchantment. Although I'm not sure it totally fits the intent of the mechanic, I won't disqualify those.
  • Also note that enchanting a card requires you to gain and not use both the enchantment and the enchanted card, and to collide the Enchantment and the gain.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 01:47:32 am »
+3

Cool mechanic! Here's my submission:

Gold Dust: Treasure - Enchantment : $6
$2
-
Enchant a non-Treasure card; your copies of it are also Treasures worth $1.

That template was helpful, thank you.

You'll probably want at least one of these; exiling a Province while also making every other province into a Copper is pretty powerful. Helps in big money, though I haven't playtested it. Being a Treasure also helps you get to the higher price points you're gonna need to gain Victory cards. You're not gonna use it to get the VP, but getting Gold is probably a good idea.

I'm not too sure about the wording in regards to "your copies" - I'm basing off of Charlatan for the most part.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 01:49:16 am by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 09:10:18 pm »

So you can entchant every victory card just to get rid of it in your deck?

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 10:17:14 pm »

So you can entchant every victory card just to get rid of it in your deck?

You can only enchant a card when you gain it; you can't enchant the Estates you start the game with. But if you had an Enchantment for each Victory card you gained (in your hand or in play at the time you gained it), then yes, you could enchant each Victory card you gained, and never have them in your deck.
he/him/his

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 03:27:33 am »
+2

Put up Gargoyles to protect your Action cards -- they hold an enchantment as impregnable as a Fortress! Hehe

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 10:17:51 am »
+1

Here is my entry:

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 10:09:06 pm »
+1

Here is my entry:

Cool Action, and cool Enchantment!
What do you think of phrasing it as "You may Exile all copies of that card from your hand when you gain a Victory card."?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 11:34:36 pm »
+1

Here is my entry:

The bottom is misphrased. As worded, you'd Exile the Enchanted Victory card (not any copies of it--the one that you set aside to Enchant). I can't even tell what the bottom is supposed to Exile. A copy of the Enchanted Victory card from hand? Any or all copies of the Enchanted Victory card from hand, like czzzz's suggestion would be the proper wording for?

Also, the top should have the +1 Buy and +$2 on separate lines, in that order, and discarding a Victory card should be optional since it doesn't have you prove that you don't have any Victory cards in hand. I.e. the top should be
+1 Buy
+
You may discard a Victory card for +.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 11:35:50 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 05:03:11 am »
+2

Wayfinder
$5 Action - Enchantment
Gain a card costing up to $4
---
Enchant an Action card. When you play an Action card, you may choose whether to follow its normal text or to instead play the enchanted card, leaving it there.

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 10:42:44 am »

Here is an updated version:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:43:55 am by BryGuy »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 11:45:54 am »
+1

When can they exile themselves?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 11:56:12 am »

When can they exile themselves?

And it still doesn't mention where the copies are Exiled from.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 05:56:29 pm »

An updated version:

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 06:16:05 pm »

An updated version:

When do they get exiled?

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 06:19:07 pm »

An updated version:

When do they get exiled?
After the Victory card is enchanted it gains the enchantment. So once that particular Victory card is in your hand, it can exile itself for +$1.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:15:36 am by BryGuy »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 06:21:51 pm »
+3

Rumpelstiltskin - $5
Night - Enchantment
+2 Coffers
----
Enchant a card costing $4 or more: The first time any other player gains a copy of that card each turn, gain a Gold onto your deck.

Source for Coffers. Enchanting a card sets you up to gain and topdeck a Gold whenever another players gains a copy of it. Useful when Enchanting a kay card in the Kingdom or Victory cards.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 06:26:32 pm by Xen3k »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 02:19:51 am »
+2

Hammer fairy $4
Action - enchantment
gain an card costing up to 4.
-
enchant an action card. When you play that card, gain an card costing up to 4

If you need to end the game in an hurry, this card piles down fast!

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 01:15:12 am »
+2

24 Hour Warning

Sorry this is a little delayed. Here are the posts I have so far:
Gold Dust by Builder_Roberts
Gargoyle by czzzz
Water Fae by BryGuy
Wayfinder by Will(ow|iam)
Rumpelstiltskin by Xen3k
Hammer fairy by lompeluiten

Please let me know if I missed any.
he/him/his

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 07:03:31 am »
+3

Late submission before this closes. Village-ifys your terminals and acts as a weak village on its own.
they/them

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 01:16:39 am »

Contest Closed

Here is the list of submissions:

Gargoyle by czzzz
Water Fae by BryGuy
Rumpelstiltskin by Xen3k
Magical Researcher by Augie279

Please let me know if I missed any. I will try to get the judging done tomorrow.
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 11:27:45 am »
+1

I've just got a couple more entries to judge, so should have it done later today/tonight.
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 02:29:18 am »
+3

Fan Card Mechanic Contest #49: Some Enchanted Evening

Enchantment are interesting. Since you have to first gain the Enchantment card, then collide it with gaining the card you want to enchant, it can create a pretty high barrier to accomplishing what you want. This is especially true where you get some benefit for playing copies of the enchanted card, as you lose the one that gets enchanted.

Gold Dust: Treasure - Enchantment : $6
$2
-
Enchant a non-Treasure card; your copies of it are also Treasures worth $1.

A Treasure - Enchantment that makes copies of the card it enchants Treasures (in addition to their original types). There are two obvious sets of uses for this. First, setting aside dead cards (mostly Victory cards, but sometimes Curses), both to take one copy out of your deck, and to make the others into cards you get at least some payload from (in games where the only trashers are Treasure trashers, it could also help you thin the other copies). The second strategy would be to enchant an Action, letting you play it non-terminally during your Buy phase.

At $6 to gain this, the first option isn't all that powerful. The second has some pretty strong potential. It can turn terminal $ into a (possibly more productive) Treasure. That could be a huge benefit with attacks like Militia or Charlatan (which you could put extra copies of in your deck, not needing to worry about drawing them dead). With terminal draw cards, it can be even stronger if you are willing to have those be the only Actions in your deck. Enchanting Smithy lets you play as many copies as you want. But, Lost Arts can do the same thing (at the same price), so I can't say that it's totally busted.

I do have some suggestions about the wording/mechanics. It might be better to say "During your turns, copies of it are also Treasures worth $1." This is how both Inheritance and Capitalism work. There can be some ambiguities created if the same card in a different place (e.g. the Supply/trash versus your hand) have different types. For example, if a card not clear if Sacrifice would give +$2 if you trashed a copy of the enchanted card. It also fixes the ambiguity of whether you could enchant two copies of the same card. Also, I believe official cards are moving away from saying "worth" so you might instead want to say "During your turns, copies of it are also Treasures that give +$1 when played."

Finally, it's a little ambiguous how this would work with, for example an Action card that gives +$. For example, does an enchanted Market give +$1 or +$2 when played?

Overall a fairly interesting submission.

Gargoyle • $3 • Victory - Enchantment
1VP

Enchant an Action card: when you trash a copy of that card, put it in your hand.

Gargoyle by czzzz

This is a fun idea that would create some interesting combos, but unfortunately it's irredeemably busted with at least three optional one-shots: Pixie, Mining Village, and Raze. Pixie's the most egregious, as a single copy in hand after enchanting it with Gargoyle gives a player (among other things) unlimited draws, coins, and buys. Ultimately, it allows them to pile the boon deck over and over, which then allows them to buy whatever they want, guaranteeing a win. (They could also pile out the Silvers, Golds, and any pile costing up to $4, but there's no reason to do so since they'd have enough coins + Silvers to win well before). Even in a game with Bandit Fort or Wall, a player could go back through the pile over and over getting The Flame's Gift to trash all of the cards they don't want (although doing so would take dozens of plays of Pixie, which is itself a nightmare). In a Gargoyle + Pixie game, the first player who plays a Pixie after enchanting it always wins; given that this can easily happen turn 4, the combo is completely busted.

An enchanted Mining Village allows a player to draw their deck along with unlimited actions and coins, which is itself totally busted, although not (absent Travelling Fair) an instant win. Raze "only" lets players draw their deck, and trash one card from it.

Ouside of those, it still feels a little on the strong side for a card that costs $3 to both help you out and not clog up your deck. Great Hall was always just a placeholding cantrip, while Mill (giving some benefit) costs $4. Gargoyle does draw dead at least once, but I still think on the whole it is considerably stronger than GH, meaning it should be at least $4.

Unfortunately I don't see any way around the busted nature of this. Even if you made it something like "When you would trash this, return it to your hand" so you don't trigger the optional trashing ability, that would (1) still make Pixie give unlimited draws, and make Mining Village give unlimited draws and Actions, and (2) ruin most of the interesting effects. I guess it might be possible to word it as something like "When you trash a copy of that card, put it in your hand unless it was trashed using an effect from that copy of the card" (if you could actually come up with viable language).

Water Fae • $5 • Action - Enchantment
+1 Buy
+$2
You may discard a Victory card for +$1

Enchant a Victory card. Copies of that card can exile from your hand for $1.

Water Fae by BryGuy

On play, Water Fae is a Woodcutter that can give an extra +$1 by discarding a Victory card. It can also enchant a Victory card to allow the player to Exile copies of that card by spending coins.

It's still not clear to me how the enchantment part of this works. How does a player spend $1 to Exile copies of the card from their hand? Can it be done any time they have $, they just reduce the amount by $1 to Exile the card? Or can only be done during their turn (like Storyteller's ability, but self-triggering), or only during their Buy phase (like an Event)? (This can matter; if you have Festival - Watchtower - Silver - Estate - Estate and can Exile those Estates during your Action phase, you get 2 more cards from Watchtower's dtx). And if it is like an Event, does it cost a buy? I presume not, but that isn't at all clear.

Depending on which version of it you choose, the power level is a lot different. If it costs $1 and a Buy, that isn't all that strong. But if it's the any-time ability, I think that's far too strong. The Victory card you enchant is removed from the game (or, since you're gaining it, it's like getting the VPs without ever having the card in your deck). It's not at all uncommon to have $1 or $2 more than you need to hit the buy you're going for, meaning there is little to no opportunity cost to Exile more copies. I'm not sure it's worth doing to your Estates if there's any decent trashing, but it seems like a no-brainer to do with Provinces, and it's potentially even stronger with Duke or (on the right board) Fairgrounds.

Also, the word "Exile" should be capitalized, even when used as a verb (see Stockpile).

Wayfinder
$5 Action - Enchantment
Gain a card costing up to $4
---
Enchant an Action card. When you play an Action card, you may choose whether to follow its normal text or to instead play the enchanted card, leaving it there.

On play, this is a simple gainer. It can enchant an Action card, to (in effect) turn that card into a Way that you can play in lieu of playing Action cards normally. The card has a natural self-synergy, as you can enchant an Action card you gain using the on-play effect (and, if you have an extra Action and Action card in your hand, immediately play it using the ability).

The biggest issue (and the easiest to fix) is that this allows for the possibility of Command loops. If you enchant a Band of Misfits, then play a Village, you can choose to play BoM, which you can then use to play a Village, and you can repeat endlessly. With the tokens from Adventures this could be the source of an unlimited number of the applicable bonus. Even without the tokens, playing Captain repeatedly on one turn gives you that many play the following turn. This is easily fixed by adding a "non-Command" restriction.

Even with that limitation, this is still extremely powerful. While the easiest thing to do is enchant a card you gained, with no price limitation, you could fairly easily be enchanting a Grand Market or King's Court. But even if you just enchanted a village, you could then buy a bunch of terminal draw cards without ever having to worry about drawing them dead.

Also, the way it is currently worded, it seems as though a player that's enchanted 2 different action cards would have the choice with each, and even if they'd enchanted two useless Ruins, they could still play every Action card twice (choosing "follow its normal text" each time). Given how easy it is to enchant something with these, that's far too low a cost to throne every Action card you play, so the wording should probably be clarified to indicate that only one of the enchanted cards can be played (if that was your intent).

Rumpelstiltskin - $5
Night - Enchantment
+2 Coffers
----
Enchant a card costing $4 or more: The first time any other player gains a copy of that card each turn, gain a Gold onto your deck.

This is an interesting design, and great flavor. Playable as a Night for 2 Coffers. When an opponent gains a copy of a card it enchants (which has to cost at least $4), you gain a Gold.

It seems all but self-evident that you'd want to enchant a Province (or Colony) as soon as possible. It lets you gain a Province without adding it to your deck, and when players start greening in earnest, it boosts your payload to help you hit the needed price points. The Coffers it gains helps pull this off, and I don't see any scenario (barring a case where you really don't want Golds, either because you have a very efficient engine or Bandit Fort) where a player doesn't gain Rumpelstiltskin as soon as possible, hold on to the Coffers from the first play (or two), then enchant Province (or Colony) as soon as they can. I suppose there might be some strategy in waiting a bit longer to enchant so you can have Rumpelstiltskin longer, but I'm not sure the 2 Night tokens are worth it. While this isn't busted, it feels kind of singularizing.

There are probably some other ways this might get played, but my worry would be that that one play is just too strong and automatic.

Hammer fairy $4
Action - enchantment
gain an card costing up to 4.
-
enchant an action card. When you play that card, gain an card costing up to 4

Hammer fairy is a gainer on play, which makes whatever it enchants into a gainer. Again, this provides a self-synergy, as you can enchant the card you gain. The enchantment ability itself is, to be honest, kind of insane. Turning a Hamlet or village or Market Square into a cantrip{+} gainer (which can rush copies of itself before being unleashed on the board) would result in massive gaining. It can also gain you another Hammer fairy, which you can use to turn another engine component into a gainer. However, unless you already have the lead (or unless you're playing a game with Gardens and manage to pile that out as your third), you'll start being forced to gain cards you don't really want.   

On the other hand, it still might be worth enchanting a card you'll use less frequently but is still non-terminal/a cantrip and only getting a couple more copies to use more normally. It's also very strong with Way of the Horse (and ) or Experiment. If each copy of your village can gain you 2 Experiments, that is both super-powerful and sustainable.

But in that game, and even stronger strategy is to enchant Experiment itself. After you play it (and return it to its pile), you can then just gain it back again. This makes each copy of Experiment considerably stronger than Lab (as you can use each one an unlimited number of times each turn). This also works with every card and WotH. Thus, you should probably modify the gaining to either happen before the card resolves or to only have it happen if the card is in play.

One note on the phrasing. It should say, "When you play a copy of that card, gain a card costing up to $4." 

Magical Researcher • $5 • Action - Enchantment
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard a card.

Enchant an Action that doesn't have +Actions in its text: The first time you play it each turn, +2 Actions.

Magical Researcher is a sifting Necropolis on play, which gives a player +2 Actions the first time they play a copy of the enchanted card.

In designing enchantments, versions of the tokens from Adventures are a promising options. However, they are potentially hard to balance, as on one hand it is harder to enchant a card than to just buy a Event and move a token, on the other hand you can enchant multiple cards (making, for example, both Moat and Margrave non-terminal).

Here, you've come up with an interesting twist on Lost Arts. Magical Researcher won't make and endless supply of them non-terminal, but it, in effect, guarantees you'll get a single village before the first time you play one. This can take a ton of pressue off engines that have both terminal draw village components. It could also allow for a really tight deck that had just 3 copies of a terminal card (in addition to the enchanted one not in the deck), all of which can be played. I really like this approach.

One note on the phrasing. It should say, "the first time you play a copy of it each turn, +2 Actions."

he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 02:34:09 am »
+2

Fan Card Mechanic Contest #49: Some Enchanted Evening

The Results

Thanks to everyone who participated. Here are the results:

Honorable Mention:

Rumpelstiltskin by Xen3k

Runner Up::

Winner:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:28:21 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 12:19:13 pm »
+1

Hey, thanks for the win! I'll get the next contest set up soon.
they/them

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2022, 01:09:41 pm »

So, I designed a few examples of these myself. The nature of the Enchantment mechanic (to me) first evokes the tokens from Adventures. Those, by their nature, have to be fairly simple. By contrast, Enchantments add the potential for a bit more complexity:

Quote from: Mark of Cain
Mark of Cain • $5 • Action - Night - Enchantment
Trash up to 2 card from your hand or an Action you would discard from play this turn.

Enchant an Action card. When you trash a card, you may play copies of the enchanted card from your hand.

Mark of Cain, in effect, gives copies of the Action card a reaction that lets you play them when you trash a card. It also provides trashing to trigger the effect (but you will need to get more copies of both MoC and the enchanted card).

Quote from: Shadow Walking
Shadow Walking • $6 • Night - Enchantment
Look through your discard pile and put up to 3 cards from it onto your deck.

Enchant an Action: Before you play the Action, +1 Card. After you play it, discard a card.

Shadow Walking is the closest to the Adventures tokens, giving one card of sifting. To maximize this, it draws the card before resolving, and discards after.

Like Augie279, I wanted to do a take on Lost Arts:

Quote from: Arcana
Arcana • $4 • Action - Enchantment
+2 Actions

Enchant an Action: When you play a copy of the enchanted Action, +1 Action per two copies of it you have in play (round down).

Arcana does not (by itself) turn terminal cards non-terminal, as the first copy you play doesn't give you any +Actions, and if that's all that happens you won't be able to play another copy. However, it can turn cantrips into villages (starting with the second copy you play). It works well with Duration cards as well; as long as you drop one copy (of, for example, Haunted Woods or Enchantress) each turn, on the following turn all your copies will be non-terminal. Also, if you can start each turn with an extra Action (via Barracks or Merchant Camp), you can play the first copy (of, for example, Smithy) terminally and play the rest as non-terminal.

Another use of the enchant mechanic is to use them like a Project, giving some general effect related to the specific card (as Builder_Roberts, BryGuy, and Xen3k did). Like BryGuy, I thought this worked particularly well with Victory cards.

Quote from: Midnight Garden
Midnight Garden • $5 • Night - Enchantment
Gain an Estate.

Enchant a Victory card. At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of that card for +1 Card.

Midnight Garden sets aside one copy of a Victory card (by enchanting it) and lets you sift a second copy at the start of each of your turns. It's on-play ability lets you start sifting your Estates without having to spend a Buy gaining one.

Like Will(ow|iam), I had the idea for a Command card type effect, where the enchanted card could be played later on:

Quote from: Invocation
Invocation • $5 • Action - Command - Enchantment
Play each Action card you have enchanted by an Invocation, in any order, leaving them there.

Enchant a non-Command Action card you have a copy of in play.

Invocation ends up working a bit like the combine effect from Week 38. Here, the enchanted cards are played by other copies of Invocation, making the setting aside a double burden (taking away both the useful Action card and a copy of Invocation) and the limiting the upper strength because of the pile size . There's an added barrier of needing to have the card you want to enchant in play (which both makes it harder to use and makes limits the use of one-shots). On the other hand, the effect can be incredibly powerful. A Smithy and a Village make the other Invocations into triple labs. Tactician + Watchtower + Vagrant gives you 7-8 cards this turn (after you discard your hands) and 5 cards next turn.

This made me think about other ways in which an Enchantment card might be more about the on-play effect, with the Enchantment ability supporting the on-play (rather than it working the other way around):

Quote from: Telekinesis
Telekinesis • $5 • Action - Enchantment
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Enchant a card: After you play a Telekinesis, you may discard a copy of the enchanted card for +1 Action.

Telekinesis is a terminal draw card. You can use it to enchant cards (particularly junk card), holding them out of your deck. If you do, you can discard other copies of the card to make Telekinesis non-terminal.

When you do something with a card that could instead be done with a landscape (e.g. a Hireling style "at the start of each of your turns" card instead of a Project), one question that could be asked is "why a card?" With Enchantment cards, one answer can be their on-play ability. Another option (as czzzz realized) is to make Victory cards:

Quote from: Albatross
Albatross • $4 • Victory - Enchantment
Worth 3VP if you have a copy of the card this is enchanting in play at the end of the game.

Enchant a Duration. When you play a copy it, choose one: +1 Action; or +1 Buy.

I wanted my Victory - Enchantment cards to have their VP value be tied to the card they were enchanting, giving the ability a double impact. Albatross (good luck for sailors) enchants a duration, making other copies non-terminal (or a source of +Buy). And if it is "in view" of the Duration (e.g. the Duration is in play) it is worth  VP.

Quote from: Magic Keep
Magic Keep • $5 • Victory - Enchantment
Worth 5VP if you have more copies of the card this is enchanting than each other player, or tied for most.

Enchant a non-Victory card. When another player plays an Attack card, you may first discard a copy of the enchanted card from your hand, to be unaffected by it.

Magic Keep turns copies of the card you enchanted into weak Moats (which have to be discarded to avoid an attack). It also gives you the Keep VP bonus for that card.

As with Invocation / Telekinesis, there's the possibility that Victory card is the main point, and the Enchantment is harmful or neutral.

Quote from: Lucre
Lucre • $4 • Victory - Enchantment
Worth 1VP per differently named Treasure you have enchanted by a Lucre.

Enchant a Treasure: when you play a copy of that Treasure, +1 Buy and discard a card.

You probably don't want Lucre on all of your Treasures. While it gives both a bonus (+1 Buy) and a penalty (discard), and while you may have some dead cards (Actions you couldn't play or Victory cards) to discard during your Buy phase, eventually you'll end up discarding other Treasures you could have played for value that turn. On the other hand, each Treasure you enchant makes each copy of Lucre worth more VP, whether or not that copy is enchanting anything. Also, you don't need any additional copies of the card in your deck to get the benefit, so if you're planning to trash all of your Coppers anyway, you can enchant one gained from the Supply to boost the VP value of others. This also works with Kingdom cards you don't particularly want, or that you only want one copy of (as, unless you're playing with Night cards, the last Treasure you play does no harm from making you discard).

Quote from: Sister City
Sister City • $4 • Victory - Enchantment
Worth 2VP if enchanting or enchanted by a Sister City (otherwise worth 0%).
-----
Enchant a Sister City.

Sister City takes some of these ideas a step further. All it does is Enchant copies of itself, having no other effect than to keep them out of your deck. It ends up being a bit of a Distant Lands variant, giving you 4 VP if you get it out of your deck, but instead of gaining an Action at $5 and playing it, you have to gain a Victory card at $4 and then gain another with it in your hand. (This card doesn't really meet the mechanic that well, and I'd not have judged it positively as a submission.)
he/him/his

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2022, 02:34:46 pm »

... it should be at least $4.
Unfortunately I don't see any way around the busted nature of this.
First of all, thank you very much for the feedback, I've still got a lot to learn. If you have the time I'd love to hear what you think of my revised version:

I think this is short but still kills the broken loops.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:52 am »
+2

... it should be at least $4.
Unfortunately I don't see any way around the busted nature of this.
First of all, thank you very much for the feedback, I've still got a lot to learn. If you have the time I'd love to hear what you think of my revised version:

I think this is short but still kills the broken loops.

Yes! This definitely un-busts the card, while keeping the fun tricks and synergies mostly intact. It's still very strong with the likes of Death Cart and Pillage, but not to the point of being busted. And I do like it better at $4 than $3.

update

This still doesn't work. First of all, does Exiling (and it should be capitalized) the card now give the player +$1? Was it always supposed to do that? Because that's definitely too strong. I presumed that it cost a player $1 to Exile the card. I hope that's what you really mean.

This (1) still does not tell you when this happens; and (2) still does not really explain how the card goes into Exile. Right now it sounds like the card acts by itself, which I don't know a way of making happen.

When coming up with language for a card, I try to start with an official card that does something similar. If players do have to pay to Exile the card, I'd look to the one card that has player pay to do things (outside of the gameplay mechanic of buying things), Storyteller. Storyteller says:

...pay all of your $ and +1 Card per $1 you paid.

Now, this is part of an on-play effect, so it doesn't need a timing cue. Yours is part of an ongoing effect, so it does. If you want them to pay for it, it should say something like:

During your [turn | Action phase | Buy phase] you may pay $1 to Exile a copy of it from your hand.

If you really want Exiling the card to generate $1, it would say:

During your [turn | Action phase | Buy phase] you may Exile a copy of it from your hand for +$1.

But, again, that would be much too strong.
he/him/his

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.