Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Souk  (Read 536 times)

Definitely_maybe

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Souk
« on: November 19, 2022, 07:39:00 am »

Been trying to find clarification on the rules for this card. Me and my partner are at a disagreement.
Souk:
+1 buy
+7 coin
- 1 coin per card on your hand.
The cards says you can't go below 0 coin, but rules says you can end up with less than you started with.
My partner says that the card only refers to itself, and the definition of "what you started with" means the value of the card before subtracting.
But I argue that "what you started with" means what value you have prior to playing the card. The value I have would then be dependent on if I already played cards that give me +coins.

So for the sake of it: I play a card that give me a value of 2 coins, and then play souk. And I still have 8 cards left on my hand.
My partner says that it means I get 7 coin, subtract 8 from the cards, but end up on 0 since the card don't go below zero. But I still have a value of 2 coins, because the card played prior isn't impacted by Souk.
I say I get 7 coins added to my already acquired 2 coins, therefore I have a value of 9 coins that I then subtract 8 from. I would end up with a value of 1 coin, wich would be less then I started with when playing the card.

Hope my question make sense.  Thanks

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Souk
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 07:50:23 am »
+2

All of your coins go to the same pool of coins, separate cards don't have separate pools, and by the time Souk is reducing the coins, it doesn't know which of your coins came from the Souk itself and which of them came from elsewhere, it just reduces them from the total pool of coins you have. It is not ever possible for you to have fewer than 0 coins total, which is what Souk's text in parentheses clarifies, but cards can certainly cause you to end up with fewer coins than you had before playing them. So, in your example, you would end up with 1 coin.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 09:53:02 am »
+2

This chain of reasoning also works in exactly the same way for Poor House.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +355
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 12:58:52 am »
+1

The faq in the official rulebook answers this:
"You can't go below $0 but might end up with less $ than you started with."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.