Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Week 48: Terrible Terror  (Read 1332 times)

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Fan Mechanics Week 48: Terrible Terror
« on: November 12, 2022, 02:10:55 pm »
+1

For this week's challenge, Design a card or card shaped thing around Terror.
Terror is a non-supply Night card:

It's half of a failed mechanic in my attempt at a Horror expansion. Unlike curses, Terror doesn't count against you, but they're harder to get rid of. I decided on 20 Terror in a pile.

I've never judged anything before, so while I will try to judge based on balance, I'm probably going to judge based on which card looks the best to me, sorry.
I like pretty pictures. Please use https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator to make your cards.

Judging will occur on 11/18/22, so a new contest can hopefully be posted next Saturday.

Thanks and Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:34:30 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Week 48: Terrible Terror
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 02:42:43 pm »
+2

If you have multiple Terrors in hand and gain one Estate, for example, you can return all of them from your hand? I just don't want to misinterpret.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:46:11 pm by czzzz »

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 02:47:21 pm »
+2

If you have multiple Terrors in hand and gain an Estate, for example, you can return all of them? I just don't want to misinterpret.
No problem!
Yep! If you buy an estate while you have 3 Terrors in hand, nothing happens yet. Once your buy phase ends, then you can play all your Terrors, which all get returned.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:53:24 pm by Builder_Roberts »
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 03:36:15 pm »
+1

Therapist itself doesn't cure the Terror, but helps you bring up buried Terror. It embraces the Victory cards you buy when dealing with your Terror.
Its heirloom, Phobia, is a play on Cursed Gold -- just less benefit on play for a less threatening penalty. The Coffer on it can let you save up for a bigger Victory card when those Terrors come around.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 05:53:55 pm »
+3

My submission:

Wraith • $5 • Action - Night - Attack
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it's a Night card, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise, each other player gains a Terror.

My submission is Wraith, an Action - Night - Attack card, that combines terminal draw/sifting with junking, giving either Terror cards or (if you can discard a Night card) Curses. You can deal a Curse by discarding another Wraith, or a Terror you got junked. During your Night phase, the +Cards will generally be less helpful, but it can help with the attack, or (if you gained a Victory card), help you get rid of your Terror cards.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

weretheruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 10:46:39 am »

Boss $3
Action - Duration
Gain a Terror.
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Action.

If you want a more thematic name "inquisitor" or "enforcer" works, but I like jokes :)

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 07:12:03 pm »

24 Hour Warning

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 09:19:14 pm »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:11:18 pm by BryGuy »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 12:00:51 am »

This was the only thing i came up woth:

Black Library $3
+1 action
+2 cards
-
When you gain this card, gain an terror.

I do not know if it is any good. It is an library with an slow payoff…(when you start chancing those terrors into greens) but the library is an powerfull card, sooo….

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 07:37:41 am »

Incubus - $5
Action - Night - Attack
+ 2 Coffers
Each other player may reveal a Night card from their hand. If they don't,  they gain a Terror to their hand.
If it's your Night phase, discard your hand.

Edit: Changed to always attack, not just at night. Added image.

Edit2: Added price to image.

Old Version
Incubus - $5
Action - Night - Attack
+ 2 Coffers
If it's your Night phase, discard your hand. Then, each other player may reveal a Night card from their hand. If they don't,  they gain a Terror to their hand.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 07:41:55 pm by Xen3k »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 10:33:23 am »

Incubus - $5
Action - Night - Attack
+ 2 Coffers
If it's your Night phase, discard your hand. Then, each other player may reveal a Night card from their hand. If they don't,  they gain a Terror to their hand.
Interesting card idea, but i don't understand why the card includes "discard you hand"?

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 12:14:15 pm »
+1

Incubus - $5
Action - Night - Attack
+ 2 Coffers
Interesting card idea, but i don't understand why the card includes "discard you hand"?

Prevents you from playing more than one at Night.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 07:18:48 pm »

Contest Closed
Results will be up soon.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 07:24:19 pm »
+1

Thanks to those who contributed to this week's contest! More people than I thought.

Winner: emtzalex
Runner-ups: Xen3k, czzzz, lompeluiten

Judging:

Therapist itself doesn't cure the Terror, but helps you bring up buried Terror. It embraces the Victory cards you buy when dealing with your Terror.
Its heirloom, Phobia, is a play on Cursed Gold -- just less benefit on play for a less threatening penalty. The Coffer on it can let you save up for a bigger Victory card when those Terrors come around.
Phobia is comparable to Cursed Gold, but my knee-jerk reaction is to mention that, like Horses, Terror doesn't really run out. Therefore, Unless you give/take massive amounts of Terror, Phobia will always be a Terror-gainer. Others might dislike that it messes with the starting hands, but I like that aspect of it. I like a coffer on an Heirloom more than I thought I would. Phobia's probably worth $2 on the Heirloom scale (0,2, or 4 cost). Therapist is a interesting negative-hand size village. I think you could probably remove the discard requirement for the +2 Actions, but I'm not an expert. It's good to know that split piles are a little harder to judge. Cool Concept! Thank you for your submission!

My submission:

+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it's a Night card, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise, each other player gains a Terror.

My submission is Wraith, an Action - Night - Attack card, that combines terminal draw/sifting with junking, giving either Terror cards or (if you can discard a Night card) Curses. You can deal a Curse by discarding another Wraith, or a Terror you got junked. During your Night phase, the +Cards will generally be less helpful, but it can help with the attack, or (if you gained a Victory card), help you get rid of your Terror cards.
I really like Wraith. It looks well-balanced, and I'm a bit of a sucker for outside-action-phase draw. It's also an interesting way to incorporate the Night type, which there are definitely going to be a lot of. A real winner in my book! Thank you for your submission!

Boss $3
Action - Duration
Gain a Terror.
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Action.

If you want a more thematic name "inquisitor" or "enforcer" works, but I like jokes :)
Jokes are fine. This is, I think, a 4 or 5 cost. It's Barracks but you can get multiple of them. You don't want to let people get too many of these, but it would be really interesting as the only village. I do have to give minus points for no picture, but the core concept is good. Thanks for your submission!

Dark horse seems like a bit of a hodge-podge to me. It's got Bonus points for Night-draw, but Minus points for wording; "onto your deck" instead of "to deck top". Gaining a victory card costing up to $6 just means gaining a Duchy in most kingdoms, which does help with reducing Terror... However, on it's own, Dark horse has to trash a Dark Horse to give other players Terror, which means that this card's main attack is as a copper-spreader, rather than being based around Terror. Gaining a duchy onto your deck is worse than just gaining it normally. There seems to be two ideas present in this card; One is an Altar, the other is Wraith, another entry in this contest. I'd say you need to decide on a single concept and roll with that instead. Thank you for your submission!

This was the only thing i came up woth:

Black Library $3
+1 action
+2 cards
-
When you gain this card, gain an terror.

I do not know if it is any good. It is an library with an slow payoff…(when you start chancing those terrors into greens) but the library is an powerfull card, sooo….
Hey, simple is fine! Just so you know, the formatting would be
+2 Cards
+1 Action
-
When you gain this, gain a Terror.
and I have to dock points for that, as well as no picture.
However, that'd actually be a pretty good card! assuming you can draw deck you can get rid of a bunch of Terror all at once to essentially get a cheaper Lab for the inconvenience of it being practically a Cantrip for a while. I like it! Thanks for your submission!

Incubus - $5
Action - Night - Attack
+ 2 Coffers
Each other player may reveal a Night card from their hand. If they don't,  they gain a Terror to their hand.
If it's your Night phase, discard your hand.
Interesting. Forgot the price in the picture but I won't count it against you. I honestly haven't dealt with Coffers enough to judge them well. Interesting that it limits itself to one play per turn, unless you play it as an action. It kinda acts as it's own moat too. Comparing it to Villain I want to say that this is a little more powerful, just because you can play at least 2 of these in a turn by default. I want to like it more than I do. Thank you for your submission!

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 12:16:18 am »
+1

My submission:

+3 Cards

I really like Wraith. It looks well-balanced, and I'm a bit of a sucker for outside-action-phase draw. It's also an interesting way to incorporate the Night type, which there are definitely going to be a lot of. A real winner in my book! Thank you for your submission!

Thanks for the feedback and the win.

I have posted the new contest.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.