Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time  (Read 5164 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time
« on: November 10, 2022, 12:03:47 pm »
+2

Often overshadowed by Christmas, Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday of mine.  I recognize that it isn't a global holiday, but for my sake, I'm theming the contest after Thanksgiving.

Design a card or a WELP that involves food or beverages.  Existing or old cards that qualify would be Feast, Horn of Plenty, Baker, Fisherman, Greed, Farmer's Market, Wine Merchant, Forager, Harvest, Vineyard, Herbalist, Fishing Village, etc. 
Others like Swap, Demand, or Blessed Village are not necessarily related to food, but have food in the picture (or in Demand's case, an empty plate) These can still qualify but lose out on some thematic points when I judge. 

There are a lot of cards loosely related to food or drink, but the more related the better.

I'll try to keep tabs on this contest but I will warn you up front, I don't check DSF much over the weekend.  I plan on Closing the contest on Thursday November 17th, then Judging on the 18th or possibly the 19th.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 03:15:25 pm »
+8

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 03:36:28 pm »
+1

How much of a glutton d'you wanna be? Save the leftovers for later, or gobble down everything now?

Shame that Elder doesn't work with this. :-\
Bottom text

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 05:43:37 pm »
+3

Salt Pans
Action - $3
+1 Card
You may play an Action from your hand twice, ignoring +Card, +Action and +$ amounts from it this turn.

Salt brings out the flavour of food. I didn't think salt and vanilla went well together, though on a Google maybe that isn't correct.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 07:20:04 pm by NoMoreFun »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 09:18:53 pm »

Lemonade Seller
cost $2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
This turn, when you play a card costing up to $2, +1 Buy.

Children works hard to grow their Lemon Gardens.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 09:26:16 pm by majiponi »

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 10:34:57 pm »
+1

You only give a card to the others when you play it, not the next turn.
I felt like Council Room's card-giving fits the Thanksgiving theme, but I wanted to soften it so you don't hesitate as much to buy it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 10:46:04 pm by czzzz »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 11:41:25 pm »
+10

Cupbearer is a cantrip sifter similar to Border Guard and Miller, letting you pick one card from the top three of your deck and discard the rest. Additionally, you can also turn it into a one-shot to trash the other two cards (your Cupbearer drinks the "poison" out of your deck and sadly perishes).

A nice opener as a sort of one-shot Sentry, but still a handy utility card throughout the game if you decide to keep it around or buy additional copies. Priced at $4 to prevent opening double Cupbearer.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 01:27:16 am »
+1

I want to upgreade the feast:
Royal Banquet $5
Action
+1 action
Gain an card costing up to $6
Trash this card
-
When you trash this card, gain 2vp

I think it gives card does give some play. You can do duchy rushes, or gain some vital points in an spilt situation.

*banquet was also taken by an landscape card.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:58:07 am by lompeluiten »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 07:25:01 am »
+1

Greengrocer
Action
$4

+2 Coffers

Gain a card costing up to $2 + $1 per Coffer you spend.

Notes
- A card that is to Workshop what Butcher is to Remodel, hence the food link.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 10:17:55 am »
+5

I want to upgreade the feast:
Banquet $5
Action
+1 action
Gain an card costing up to $6
Trash this card
-
When you trash this card, gain 2vp

I think it gives card does give some play. You can do duchy rushes, or gain some vital points in an spilt situation.

There's already an Event named Banquet.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 11:45:47 am »
+7

Turkey

Action - Treasure ($5)

Gain a card costing up to $1 per different card cost you have in play.

The old thanksgiving bird itself. Turkey is a gainer like Horn of Plenty, except that its gaining condition is more restrictive. To compensate, you can play it in the Action phase instead for gain-and-play or you can use it to gain Victory cards without needing to trash it. It can gain Provinces, but from my experience the majority of boards don't have 8 differently priced playable cards (and even if one did you would still need to first build a deck with all of those cards in it).
Also is the wording on this clear? Any suggestions for clarity would be appreciated. :)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 12:31:34 pm »
+6

Does a live turkey count as food when its ability relates to Thanksgiving?

Way of the Turkey
Way - Liaison
+3 Favors
Each other player gets +1 Favor.
(This counts as playing a Liaison.)

EDIT:  While I was posting this, AJL828 posted a different turkey-based entry.  I guess that makes me the turkey. 

At least they have different names, so I think my entry is not disqualified by the existence of similarly-named entry (please let me know if this is not the case).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:36:58 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 12:56:03 pm »

Bringing an old +2 Cards, +$2 from my fan card archive because it relates to food.
they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 07:05:16 pm »
+3

Granary

Project
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card from your hand. If it cost $4, $5, or $6, +2 Cards.

Notes: It’s best to eat something substantial, but not as big as a Province. Duchies, yum!

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 10:25:38 pm »
+1

Meal - $2 - Action/Duration
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and gain a card costing up to $5.  
A non-terminal Duration-feast.

Previous version

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and gain a card to your hand costing up to $5.  

Probably too powerful for $2, but you get the concept. Cheaper Duration Feast that puts the card into your hand. Could probably stand to lose the +Action.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:08:00 am by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 01:39:00 am »
+1

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and gain a card to your hand costing up to $5.  

Probably too powerful for $2, but you get the concept. Cheaper Duration Feast that puts the card into your hand. Could probably stand to lose the +Action.

This is way too good. I'd argue this is stronger than Feast, since it's non-terminal and gets the gained card immediately next turn. Pretty much the only time this isn't better than Feast is if the gained card is a Victory card, or if you have enough draw to play a Feast and then draw the gained card in the same turn. I don't think this works at any price.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 01:41:44 am »

This is way too good. I'd argue this is stronger than Feast, since it's non-terminal and gets the gained card immediately next turn. Pretty much the only time this isn't better than Feast is if the gained card is a Victory card, or if you have enough draw to play a Feast and then draw the gained card in the same turn. I don't think this works at any price.

Yeah, definitely needs to lose the +Action then.
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 01:53:22 am »

The same argument still applies even without the +Action. I think it might be fine if it instead dropped the "to hand."

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 02:09:00 am »

The same argument still applies even without the +Action. I think it might be fine if it instead dropped the "to hand."

That seems fair. Kinda sad about it, but that does make sense.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2022, 06:27:57 am »
+1

Worth remembering that Feast is stupidly weak though, so being almost always stronger than it is not necessarily a problem.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2022, 08:11:04 am »
+2

Worth remembering that Feast is stupidly weak though, so being almost always stronger than it is not necessarily a problem.
Feast was not removed because it was too weak but because it was too boring.
Delayed one-shot cantrip that gains a $5 is most definitely far too strong at $2.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2022, 04:14:55 pm »

Sweets
+2 Coffers
Simple, but good
$4

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2022, 05:03:25 pm »
+4

Sweets
+2 Coffers
Simple, but good
$4

This is far too strong for only $4. Both a $4 Silver+ and a $4 card that gives +2 Coffers have both been tested and been shown to be too good. Adding some negative effect to this card could help out and make it more interesting (something to play off the idea that sweets are bad for you?)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2022, 05:54:42 pm »

Sweets
+2 Coffers
Simple, but good
$4

This is far too strong for only $4. Both a $4 Silver+ and a $4 card that gives +2 Coffers have both been tested and been shown to be too good. Adding some negative effect to this card could help out and make it more interesting (something to play off the idea that sweets are bad for you?)

I've play tested with my family, and we didn't find it too strong. It's in-between butcher and a silver

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 01:45:43 am »
+4

FYI I've been logged out of DSF on my work computer, which is where I often check it (Shhhh don't tell my boss) and for some reason the update password thing isn't working.  Anyway, I'll still keep checking in, but only on my home computer. 

This contest is pretty loose as it is, but I haven't seen anything that would be disqualified.  I don't see a problem with there being two turkey related cards, but JW you may want to change the name of yours as Granary was already used by Gubump.  IDK if that's normally considered a problem or not in these contests, but might be worth changing anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.