Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time  (Read 5279 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 02:17:46 pm »

Meat Pie - $5
Treasure - Liaison
Reveal up to two cards from your hand. For each different card type they have, choose a different thing: +$2; +1 Buy; +1 Villager; +1 Favor; Gain a Silver; Gain a Horse.

Nothing like a tasty meat pie at a feast. Encourages purchasing multiple card types. Not sure if the Villagers should be an option. Feedback is welcome.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 03:19:02 pm »
+4

Gluttony - $4
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
This turn, you can't play Silvers from your hand, and cards everywhere cost $1 less.
Silver Spoon - $3
Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: Trash a Copper from hand then gain a Silver to hand; +1 Buy; or +$1.

Gluttony - the act of consuming so much food you are stuffed to the brim. You can keep shoveling more in, but it will cost you dearly.
Silver Spoon - a tool you must use wisely.
This set of cards encourages two different strategies of play:
1. Ignore the strong mechanic of trash in favor for the highway to winning.
2. Clean up your deck early by replacing those Coppers with that sweet Silver.

nagdon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 02:20:22 am »

Marmalade, a delayed draw card following the example of Research and Archive. The main difference from Archive is that this is a "bulk deal" that puts 3 cards into the jar and makes them all available at the start of next turn (instead of providing filtering by making one available immediately and delaying one by two turns); and unlike Research this is not trash-for-benefit but fixed-size draw card. A secondary difference is that this is a Treasure,  so e.g. this can set aside cards that were just gained by terminal gainers or treasures like Supplies or Anvil.

Obviously, this card will be strong in the early game and in slow, money/slog decks where shuffling is rare and the delay is less significant. On the other hand, this provides a form of draw, which is stronger when the average value of cards is higher; so this remains somewhat relevant in engine strategies, especially if other sources of draw are limited, +Actions are expensive, and/or you can use discard-for-benefit or certain Horse gainers (Paddock, Cavalry, Supplies, ...) to control which cards will be set aside.

I wanted to name this card after a fruit preserve, because we're putting things into a jar for later use; then I spotted a picture of marmalade and recalled that it has the same bright color as Treasure-Duration cards (which was a secondary motivation for turning this into a Treasure instead of a non-terminal Action like Research).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 02:23:19 am by nagdon »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 09:29:19 am »

So i tried a few different names, but most were too complex so i settled for something simple.

Update 20221114: Yeah, i should have priced this at $5. I neglected to change the price from the last card i made.
Update 20221115: Ok, now it is $5 instead of the mistaken $3.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:21:47 pm by BryGuy »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2022, 09:38:05 am »
+4

So i tried a few different names, but most were too complex so i settled for something simple.

Duration cards only stay in play if there is something to track on a future turn. So if you choose the first option then it won't stay in play... which makes this card strictly better than Laboratory!

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 11:33:38 am »

Duration cards only stay in play if there is something to track on a future turn. So if you choose the first option then it won't stay in play... which makes this card strictly better than Laboratory!
Even if it did stay in play on the Laboratory option (which it doesn't), it would still be too powerful at $3.  Compare it to Caravan, which costs $4 and doesn't give you the Lab effect until next turn (in addition to not having the other option). 

Even having it be +1 Card +1 Action now would be strong, since you could buy them for the next-turn effect (which is stronger than Caravan's) but still have the cantrip option to keep them from harming you if you drew them too early.  You might even be able to knock a card off of both options, which would still make it a useful tool for boosting the reliability of your engine (I'd buy it in most games), although I don't know if that would make it too weak compared to Gear (which admittedly is pretty strong, IMO).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2022, 02:08:09 pm »
+3

My entry this week is a split pile

Dough
$2
Night - Duration
Set aside any number of cards from your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand.
Yeast
$6
Action - Duration
At the start of your next turn, +$1 per card in your hand.

Dough should be a somewhat useful card at storing extra cards for a mega turn, it might help Estates dodge shuffle, help synchronize combo pieces together, or help catch a few terminals trapped in hand. Dough should also help players spike up to $6 to buy a Yeast. It is a Night card so when drawn after all actions had been used it is still useful. Also the best bakers make their Dough at Night so it has chance to proof and be ready in the Morning.

Yeast is the Powerhouse of the set. If generate +$5 money or more, which is a lot. This card is limited by its high cost of $6, it being at the bottom of a spilt pile, it is terminal, its reward is delayed, and it can only be used every other turn. Yeast also combos with the Dough for even higher numbers but without adding a source of +Buys their is not too much of a point in doing that. This effect is also countered by a few attack cards like Militia and the sort.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2022, 02:33:27 pm »
+1

Even if it did stay in play on the Laboratory option (which it doesn't), it would still be too powerful at $3.  Compare it to Caravan, which costs $4 and doesn't give you the Lab effect until next turn (in addition to not having the other option). 

Even having it be +1 Card +1 Action now would be strong, since you could buy them for the next-turn effect (which is stronger than Caravan's) but still have the cantrip option to keep them from harming you if you drew them too early.  You might even be able to knock a card off of both options, which would still make it a useful tool for boosting the reliability of your engine (I'd buy it in most games), although I don't know if that would make it too weak compared to Gear (which admittedly is pretty strong, IMO).
Even merely the secondary option would be too strong at $3.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2022, 04:37:18 am »
+2

Even merely the secondary option would be too strong at $3.

If I remember correctly, just "At the start of your next turn, +3 cards" was too good for $4, I think because it was less likely to collide than Smithy.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2022, 01:55:17 pm »
+2

Duration terminal draw is the only delayed effect (Horses don’t count as they are cards that can be Remodeled or Throned) that is slightly better than the immediate effect as the increase in engine consistency does on average outweigh the decrease in frequency of play of the card.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2022, 02:19:34 pm »
+1

Duration terminal draw is the only delayed effect (Horses don’t count as they are cards that can be Remodeled or Throned) that is slightly better than the immediate effect as the increase in engine consistency does on average outweigh the decrease in frequency of play of the card.
True.  I love when I can get start-of-next-turn draw for my engines, and always feel a bit disappointed when I have to use Barge for its this-turn effect (in Kingdoms with other draw) instead of saving it for next turn.  Kicking off an engine from 8 cards or 11 cards is so much more reliable than just having 5.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:14 pm »
+1

Update 20221114: Yeah, i should have priced this at $5. I neglected to change the price from the last card i made.
Update 20221115: Ok, now it is $5 instead of the mistaken $3.

Even at $5 the card is still strictly better than a Lab, as it gives you choice between the exact Lab effect or something else. It still only stays in play for 1 turn when making the first choice. Therefore this needs to cost at least $6 (although I would instead recommend a different modification to add an extra gimmick to the card, as right now it’s just a choice between 2 sets of vanilla effects)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 07:52:56 pm »
+6

Grand Banquet
Event - $6
Gain a copy of each card you have exactly one copy of in play.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 10:15:04 pm »
+2

Honey - $5
Treasure

$1

Play an Action you have in Exile. At the start of Clean-up, Exile an Action you would discard from play this turn.

Honey is sticky. So sticky that your other cards get stuck to it. On the first play, it is just an expensive Copper, but after that, it gives value similar to Bazzar, but is guaranteed to collide with the Action. Playing Actions at the start of the Buy Phase has many pros and cons, but it’s especially nice to play terminal, stop-card payload with Honey. Adding more Honey helps you more consistently play the payload when you aren’t drawing your deck. Once you're drawing your deck, you can add more payload, or even flexibly play terminal draw first, followed by the payload.

A quick note about wording: The second sentence takes most of its wording from Improve. Fortunately, there aren’t any official when-Exile triggers, so there aren’t the shenanigans that Improve has with when-trash effects.  Also, note that the first sentence doesn’t use “leaving it there” wording. Instead, the Action leaves Exile and enters play, so it doesn’t need a restriction like Necromancer does.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2022, 03:58:39 am »

Mayor of San Cristóbal $5
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Play 2 actions among the revealed cards, other than. Put the rest back and gain a copper onto your deck.

Its a weird mix of golem and lost city, which would normally be VERY powerful, but the more greedy you get with these, the more you get punished. I really wanted to make something for this that gives this specific hex for you, my other opption was a feast with the same punishment, but that wouldnt work out. The name is from a city in mexico where the cola is better accessible for the normal person than water, so i think it fits very well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 03:59:59 am by sumrex »

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2022, 04:02:26 am »
+2

Dough
$2
Night - Duration
Set aside any number of cards from your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand.
Yeast
$6
Action - Duration

Dough should be a somewhat useful card at storing extra cards for a mega turn, it might help Estates dodge shuffle, help synchronize combo pieces together, or help catch a few terminals trapped in hand. Dough should also help players spike up to $6 to buy a Yeast. It is a Night card so when drawn after all actions had been used it is still useful. Also the best bakers make their Dough at Night so it has chance to proof and be ready in the Morning.

Yeast is the Powerhouse of the set. If generate +$5 money or more, which is a lot. This card is limited by its high cost of $6, it being at the bottom of a spilt pile, it is terminal, its reward is delayed, and it can only be used every other turn. Yeast also combos with the Dough for even higher numbers but without adding a source of +Buys their is not too much of a point in doing that. This effect is also countered by a few attack cards like Militia and the sort.

i think it could be hard to uncover yeast, because who would want more than a single dough? giving it +1 card for the next turn could already be fixing that maybe? So its a cantrip

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2022, 07:45:40 am »

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +388
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2022, 09:40:14 am »
+1

Smorgasbord, Action,
+
Choose two different options: +1 Action; +1 Buy; trash a card from your hand; gain a Silver.

The reason it gives +1 coin is so that it costs 4 coin instead of 3 so that players cannot open with two of them.

*Edit: Added image of card.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:54:15 pm by kru5h »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2022, 11:06:03 am »

Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Play 2 actions among the revealed cards, other than. Put the rest back and gain a copper onto your deck.

"Other than" what?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2022, 02:07:49 pm »

Its a weird mix of golem and lost city, which would normally be VERY powerful, but the more greedy you get with these, the more you get punished. I really wanted to make something for this that gives this specific hex for you, my other opption was a feast with the same punishment, but that wouldnt work out. The name is from a city in mexico where the cola is better accessible for the normal person than water, so i think it fits very well.
This looks very weak. If you just hit one Action, you got a self-juking cantrip. And due to the Attack, this happens more often than not.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »

Dough
$2
Night - Duration
Yeast
$6
Action - Duration

i think it could be hard to uncover yeast, because who would want more than a single dough? giving it +1 card for the next turn could already be fixing that maybe? So its a cantrip

So one thing I am thinking players could do with 2 or 3 Doughs is they can play 1 each turn which keeps all there starting junk card "trapped" in the Dough loop. This would give massive deck control as any future green cards could also get swallowed up in the chain. The Dough loop also deals with unnecessary copiers of itself as they keep just being relooped with the rest of the junk until needed helping guarantee a Dough loop on future turns. So I hesitate to give Dough any more rewards then just comboing with Yeast. Now believe it would be rare for players to want to get all 5 copies of Dough but that is one core issue each Split pile much deal with. One player purchasing all 5 copies of Dough without a decent source of buys would likely be too time consuming and I think I am okay with that.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:29 am »

Here is an updated version:

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2022, 10:54:20 am »
+3

Pantry, Action - Reserve, $4

Gain a card costing up to $4.
Put this on your tavern mat.

At the start of your turn, you may call this to draw until you have 6 cards in hand, and then you may trash a card from your hand.

Not all food has to be eaten immediately.

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2022, 11:45:46 am »
+4

Hey this is Chappy7....Just had to make a new account for my work computer lol.

Anyway, this is the official warning! I'll be closing the contest in ~12-14 hours.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2022, 01:12:04 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Costermonger • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
This turn, you may buy and gain Fruit as if it were in the Supply.

Apples • $1* • Treasure - Fruit
$1
+1 Buy

(This is not in the Supply.)
Cherries • $4* • Treasure - Fruit
$2
+1 Buy

Mangos • $7* • Treasure - Fruit
$3
+1 Buy

My submission is fairly straightforward. Costermonger is a peddler variant that allows a player to buy or gain Fruit. Each Fruit corresponds to a basic Treasure, costing $1 more and giving +1 Buy in addition to the normal payload. There are 10 copies of each Fruit (and 10 Costermongers, obvi). 

FAQ:
  • Costermonger is an Action card that allows the player who plays it to buy or gain Fruit cards.
  • There are three Fruit cards: Apples, Cherries, and Mangos. In games using Costermonger, include Apples, Cherries, and Mangos.
  • Like any card not in the Supply, players cannot generally buy Fruit cards during the Buy phase or gain them using cards or landscapes that say "gain" (e.g. Workshop).
  • However, once a player plays a Costermonger's ability, for the rest of the turn they treat the Apples, Cherries, and Mangos as if they were cards in the Supply for the purposes of buying and gaining cards.
  • Once this happens, the effect continues until the end of the turn, and is not optional. For example, if a player plays Costermonger then plays Upgrade (from Intrigue) and trashes a Copper, they must gain an Apples if available (although, had they not played Costermonger first, they would gain nothing).
  • An empty Apples, Cherries, and/or Mangos pile does not count towards an end-of-game condition, even at the end of a turn in which a Costermonger was played.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.