Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time  (Read 5258 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time
« on: November 10, 2022, 12:03:47 pm »
+2

Often overshadowed by Christmas, Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday of mine.  I recognize that it isn't a global holiday, but for my sake, I'm theming the contest after Thanksgiving.

Design a card or a WELP that involves food or beverages.  Existing or old cards that qualify would be Feast, Horn of Plenty, Baker, Fisherman, Greed, Farmer's Market, Wine Merchant, Forager, Harvest, Vineyard, Herbalist, Fishing Village, etc. 
Others like Swap, Demand, or Blessed Village are not necessarily related to food, but have food in the picture (or in Demand's case, an empty plate) These can still qualify but lose out on some thematic points when I judge. 

There are a lot of cards loosely related to food or drink, but the more related the better.

I'll try to keep tabs on this contest but I will warn you up front, I don't check DSF much over the weekend.  I plan on Closing the contest on Thursday November 17th, then Judging on the 18th or possibly the 19th.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1681
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #168: Turkey Time
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 03:15:25 pm »
+8

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1112
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 03:36:28 pm »
+1

How much of a glutton d'you wanna be? Save the leftovers for later, or gobble down everything now?

Shame that Elder doesn't work with this. :-\
Bottom text

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 05:43:37 pm »
+3

Salt Pans
Action - $3
+1 Card
You may play an Action from your hand twice, ignoring +Card, +Action and +$ amounts from it this turn.

Salt brings out the flavour of food. I didn't think salt and vanilla went well together, though on a Google maybe that isn't correct.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 07:20:04 pm by NoMoreFun »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 09:18:53 pm »

Lemonade Seller
cost $2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
This turn, when you play a card costing up to $2, +1 Buy.

Children works hard to grow their Lemon Gardens.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 09:26:16 pm by majiponi »

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 10:34:57 pm »
+1

You only give a card to the others when you play it, not the next turn.
I felt like Council Room's card-giving fits the Thanksgiving theme, but I wanted to soften it so you don't hesitate as much to buy it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 10:46:04 pm by czzzz »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 11:41:25 pm »
+10

Cupbearer is a cantrip sifter similar to Border Guard and Miller, letting you pick one card from the top three of your deck and discard the rest. Additionally, you can also turn it into a one-shot to trash the other two cards (your Cupbearer drinks the "poison" out of your deck and sadly perishes).

A nice opener as a sort of one-shot Sentry, but still a handy utility card throughout the game if you decide to keep it around or buy additional copies. Priced at $4 to prevent opening double Cupbearer.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 01:27:16 am »
+1

I want to upgreade the feast:
Royal Banquet $5
Action
+1 action
Gain an card costing up to $6
Trash this card
-
When you trash this card, gain 2vp

I think it gives card does give some play. You can do duchy rushes, or gain some vital points in an spilt situation.

*banquet was also taken by an landscape card.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:58:07 am by lompeluiten »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 07:25:01 am »
+1

Greengrocer
Action
$4

+2 Coffers

Gain a card costing up to $2 + $1 per Coffer you spend.

Notes
- A card that is to Workshop what Butcher is to Remodel, hence the food link.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 10:17:55 am »
+5

I want to upgreade the feast:
Banquet $5
Action
+1 action
Gain an card costing up to $6
Trash this card
-
When you trash this card, gain 2vp

I think it gives card does give some play. You can do duchy rushes, or gain some vital points in an spilt situation.

There's already an Event named Banquet.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 11:45:47 am »
+7

Turkey

Action - Treasure ($5)

Gain a card costing up to $1 per different card cost you have in play.

The old thanksgiving bird itself. Turkey is a gainer like Horn of Plenty, except that its gaining condition is more restrictive. To compensate, you can play it in the Action phase instead for gain-and-play or you can use it to gain Victory cards without needing to trash it. It can gain Provinces, but from my experience the majority of boards don't have 8 differently priced playable cards (and even if one did you would still need to first build a deck with all of those cards in it).
Also is the wording on this clear? Any suggestions for clarity would be appreciated. :)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 12:31:34 pm »
+6

Does a live turkey count as food when its ability relates to Thanksgiving?

Way of the Turkey
Way - Liaison
+3 Favors
Each other player gets +1 Favor.
(This counts as playing a Liaison.)

EDIT:  While I was posting this, AJL828 posted a different turkey-based entry.  I guess that makes me the turkey. 

At least they have different names, so I think my entry is not disqualified by the existence of similarly-named entry (please let me know if this is not the case).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:36:58 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +485
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 12:56:03 pm »

Bringing an old +2 Cards, +$2 from my fan card archive because it relates to food.
they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 07:05:16 pm »
+3

Granary

Project
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card from your hand. If it cost $4, $5, or $6, +2 Cards.

Notes: It’s best to eat something substantial, but not as big as a Province. Duchies, yum!

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 10:25:38 pm »
+1

Meal - $2 - Action/Duration
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and gain a card costing up to $5.  
A non-terminal Duration-feast.

Previous version

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and gain a card to your hand costing up to $5.  

Probably too powerful for $2, but you get the concept. Cheaper Duration Feast that puts the card into your hand. Could probably stand to lose the +Action.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:08:00 am by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 01:39:00 am »
+1

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and gain a card to your hand costing up to $5.  

Probably too powerful for $2, but you get the concept. Cheaper Duration Feast that puts the card into your hand. Could probably stand to lose the +Action.

This is way too good. I'd argue this is stronger than Feast, since it's non-terminal and gets the gained card immediately next turn. Pretty much the only time this isn't better than Feast is if the gained card is a Victory card, or if you have enough draw to play a Feast and then draw the gained card in the same turn. I don't think this works at any price.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 01:41:44 am »

This is way too good. I'd argue this is stronger than Feast, since it's non-terminal and gets the gained card immediately next turn. Pretty much the only time this isn't better than Feast is if the gained card is a Victory card, or if you have enough draw to play a Feast and then draw the gained card in the same turn. I don't think this works at any price.

Yeah, definitely needs to lose the +Action then.
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 01:53:22 am »

The same argument still applies even without the +Action. I think it might be fine if it instead dropped the "to hand."

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 02:09:00 am »

The same argument still applies even without the +Action. I think it might be fine if it instead dropped the "to hand."

That seems fair. Kinda sad about it, but that does make sense.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2022, 06:27:57 am »
+1

Worth remembering that Feast is stupidly weak though, so being almost always stronger than it is not necessarily a problem.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2022, 08:11:04 am »
+2

Worth remembering that Feast is stupidly weak though, so being almost always stronger than it is not necessarily a problem.
Feast was not removed because it was too weak but because it was too boring.
Delayed one-shot cantrip that gains a $5 is most definitely far too strong at $2.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2022, 04:14:55 pm »

Sweets
+2 Coffers
Simple, but good
$4

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2022, 05:03:25 pm »
+4

Sweets
+2 Coffers
Simple, but good
$4

This is far too strong for only $4. Both a $4 Silver+ and a $4 card that gives +2 Coffers have both been tested and been shown to be too good. Adding some negative effect to this card could help out and make it more interesting (something to play off the idea that sweets are bad for you?)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2022, 05:54:42 pm »

Sweets
+2 Coffers
Simple, but good
$4

This is far too strong for only $4. Both a $4 Silver+ and a $4 card that gives +2 Coffers have both been tested and been shown to be too good. Adding some negative effect to this card could help out and make it more interesting (something to play off the idea that sweets are bad for you?)

I've play tested with my family, and we didn't find it too strong. It's in-between butcher and a silver

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 01:45:43 am »
+4

FYI I've been logged out of DSF on my work computer, which is where I often check it (Shhhh don't tell my boss) and for some reason the update password thing isn't working.  Anyway, I'll still keep checking in, but only on my home computer. 

This contest is pretty loose as it is, but I haven't seen anything that would be disqualified.  I don't see a problem with there being two turkey related cards, but JW you may want to change the name of yours as Granary was already used by Gubump.  IDK if that's normally considered a problem or not in these contests, but might be worth changing anyway.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 02:17:46 pm »

Meat Pie - $5
Treasure - Liaison
Reveal up to two cards from your hand. For each different card type they have, choose a different thing: +$2; +1 Buy; +1 Villager; +1 Favor; Gain a Silver; Gain a Horse.

Nothing like a tasty meat pie at a feast. Encourages purchasing multiple card types. Not sure if the Villagers should be an option. Feedback is welcome.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 03:19:02 pm »
+4

Gluttony - $4
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
This turn, you can't play Silvers from your hand, and cards everywhere cost $1 less.
Silver Spoon - $3
Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: Trash a Copper from hand then gain a Silver to hand; +1 Buy; or +$1.

Gluttony - the act of consuming so much food you are stuffed to the brim. You can keep shoveling more in, but it will cost you dearly.
Silver Spoon - a tool you must use wisely.
This set of cards encourages two different strategies of play:
1. Ignore the strong mechanic of trash in favor for the highway to winning.
2. Clean up your deck early by replacing those Coppers with that sweet Silver.

nagdon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 02:20:22 am »

Marmalade, a delayed draw card following the example of Research and Archive. The main difference from Archive is that this is a "bulk deal" that puts 3 cards into the jar and makes them all available at the start of next turn (instead of providing filtering by making one available immediately and delaying one by two turns); and unlike Research this is not trash-for-benefit but fixed-size draw card. A secondary difference is that this is a Treasure,  so e.g. this can set aside cards that were just gained by terminal gainers or treasures like Supplies or Anvil.

Obviously, this card will be strong in the early game and in slow, money/slog decks where shuffling is rare and the delay is less significant. On the other hand, this provides a form of draw, which is stronger when the average value of cards is higher; so this remains somewhat relevant in engine strategies, especially if other sources of draw are limited, +Actions are expensive, and/or you can use discard-for-benefit or certain Horse gainers (Paddock, Cavalry, Supplies, ...) to control which cards will be set aside.

I wanted to name this card after a fruit preserve, because we're putting things into a jar for later use; then I spotted a picture of marmalade and recalled that it has the same bright color as Treasure-Duration cards (which was a secondary motivation for turning this into a Treasure instead of a non-terminal Action like Research).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 02:23:19 am by nagdon »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 09:29:19 am »

So i tried a few different names, but most were too complex so i settled for something simple.

Update 20221114: Yeah, i should have priced this at $5. I neglected to change the price from the last card i made.
Update 20221115: Ok, now it is $5 instead of the mistaken $3.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:21:47 pm by BryGuy »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2022, 09:38:05 am »
+4

So i tried a few different names, but most were too complex so i settled for something simple.

Duration cards only stay in play if there is something to track on a future turn. So if you choose the first option then it won't stay in play... which makes this card strictly better than Laboratory!

Erick648

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 11:33:38 am »

Duration cards only stay in play if there is something to track on a future turn. So if you choose the first option then it won't stay in play... which makes this card strictly better than Laboratory!
Even if it did stay in play on the Laboratory option (which it doesn't), it would still be too powerful at $3.  Compare it to Caravan, which costs $4 and doesn't give you the Lab effect until next turn (in addition to not having the other option). 

Even having it be +1 Card +1 Action now would be strong, since you could buy them for the next-turn effect (which is stronger than Caravan's) but still have the cantrip option to keep them from harming you if you drew them too early.  You might even be able to knock a card off of both options, which would still make it a useful tool for boosting the reliability of your engine (I'd buy it in most games), although I don't know if that would make it too weak compared to Gear (which admittedly is pretty strong, IMO).

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2022, 02:08:09 pm »
+3

My entry this week is a split pile

Dough
$2
Night - Duration
Set aside any number of cards from your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand.
Yeast
$6
Action - Duration
At the start of your next turn, +$1 per card in your hand.

Dough should be a somewhat useful card at storing extra cards for a mega turn, it might help Estates dodge shuffle, help synchronize combo pieces together, or help catch a few terminals trapped in hand. Dough should also help players spike up to $6 to buy a Yeast. It is a Night card so when drawn after all actions had been used it is still useful. Also the best bakers make their Dough at Night so it has chance to proof and be ready in the Morning.

Yeast is the Powerhouse of the set. If generate +$5 money or more, which is a lot. This card is limited by its high cost of $6, it being at the bottom of a spilt pile, it is terminal, its reward is delayed, and it can only be used every other turn. Yeast also combos with the Dough for even higher numbers but without adding a source of +Buys their is not too much of a point in doing that. This effect is also countered by a few attack cards like Militia and the sort.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2022, 02:33:27 pm »
+1

Even if it did stay in play on the Laboratory option (which it doesn't), it would still be too powerful at $3.  Compare it to Caravan, which costs $4 and doesn't give you the Lab effect until next turn (in addition to not having the other option). 

Even having it be +1 Card +1 Action now would be strong, since you could buy them for the next-turn effect (which is stronger than Caravan's) but still have the cantrip option to keep them from harming you if you drew them too early.  You might even be able to knock a card off of both options, which would still make it a useful tool for boosting the reliability of your engine (I'd buy it in most games), although I don't know if that would make it too weak compared to Gear (which admittedly is pretty strong, IMO).
Even merely the secondary option would be too strong at $3.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2126
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2022, 04:37:18 am »
+2

Even merely the secondary option would be too strong at $3.

If I remember correctly, just "At the start of your next turn, +3 cards" was too good for $4, I think because it was less likely to collide than Smithy.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2022, 01:55:17 pm »
+2

Duration terminal draw is the only delayed effect (Horses don’t count as they are cards that can be Remodeled or Throned) that is slightly better than the immediate effect as the increase in engine consistency does on average outweigh the decrease in frequency of play of the card.

Erick648

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2022, 02:19:34 pm »
+1

Duration terminal draw is the only delayed effect (Horses don’t count as they are cards that can be Remodeled or Throned) that is slightly better than the immediate effect as the increase in engine consistency does on average outweigh the decrease in frequency of play of the card.
True.  I love when I can get start-of-next-turn draw for my engines, and always feel a bit disappointed when I have to use Barge for its this-turn effect (in Kingdoms with other draw) instead of saving it for next turn.  Kicking off an engine from 8 cards or 11 cards is so much more reliable than just having 5.

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:14 pm »
+1

Update 20221114: Yeah, i should have priced this at $5. I neglected to change the price from the last card i made.
Update 20221115: Ok, now it is $5 instead of the mistaken $3.

Even at $5 the card is still strictly better than a Lab, as it gives you choice between the exact Lab effect or something else. It still only stays in play for 1 turn when making the first choice. Therefore this needs to cost at least $6 (although I would instead recommend a different modification to add an extra gimmick to the card, as right now it’s just a choice between 2 sets of vanilla effects)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1973
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 07:52:56 pm »
+6

Grand Banquet
Event - $6
Gain a copy of each card you have exactly one copy of in play.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 10:15:04 pm »
+2

Honey - $5
Treasure

$1

Play an Action you have in Exile. At the start of Clean-up, Exile an Action you would discard from play this turn.

Honey is sticky. So sticky that your other cards get stuck to it. On the first play, it is just an expensive Copper, but after that, it gives value similar to Bazzar, but is guaranteed to collide with the Action. Playing Actions at the start of the Buy Phase has many pros and cons, but it’s especially nice to play terminal, stop-card payload with Honey. Adding more Honey helps you more consistently play the payload when you aren’t drawing your deck. Once you're drawing your deck, you can add more payload, or even flexibly play terminal draw first, followed by the payload.

A quick note about wording: The second sentence takes most of its wording from Improve. Fortunately, there aren’t any official when-Exile triggers, so there aren’t the shenanigans that Improve has with when-trash effects.  Also, note that the first sentence doesn’t use “leaving it there” wording. Instead, the Action leaves Exile and enters play, so it doesn’t need a restriction like Necromancer does.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2022, 03:58:39 am »

Mayor of San Cristóbal $5
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Play 2 actions among the revealed cards, other than. Put the rest back and gain a copper onto your deck.

Its a weird mix of golem and lost city, which would normally be VERY powerful, but the more greedy you get with these, the more you get punished. I really wanted to make something for this that gives this specific hex for you, my other opption was a feast with the same punishment, but that wouldnt work out. The name is from a city in mexico where the cola is better accessible for the normal person than water, so i think it fits very well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 03:59:59 am by sumrex »

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2022, 04:02:26 am »
+2

Dough
$2
Night - Duration
Set aside any number of cards from your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand.
Yeast
$6
Action - Duration

Dough should be a somewhat useful card at storing extra cards for a mega turn, it might help Estates dodge shuffle, help synchronize combo pieces together, or help catch a few terminals trapped in hand. Dough should also help players spike up to $6 to buy a Yeast. It is a Night card so when drawn after all actions had been used it is still useful. Also the best bakers make their Dough at Night so it has chance to proof and be ready in the Morning.

Yeast is the Powerhouse of the set. If generate +$5 money or more, which is a lot. This card is limited by its high cost of $6, it being at the bottom of a spilt pile, it is terminal, its reward is delayed, and it can only be used every other turn. Yeast also combos with the Dough for even higher numbers but without adding a source of +Buys their is not too much of a point in doing that. This effect is also countered by a few attack cards like Militia and the sort.

i think it could be hard to uncover yeast, because who would want more than a single dough? giving it +1 card for the next turn could already be fixing that maybe? So its a cantrip

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2022, 07:45:40 am »

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +386
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2022, 09:40:14 am »
+1

Smorgasbord, Action,
+
Choose two different options: +1 Action; +1 Buy; trash a card from your hand; gain a Silver.

The reason it gives +1 coin is so that it costs 4 coin instead of 3 so that players cannot open with two of them.

*Edit: Added image of card.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:54:15 pm by kru5h »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2022, 11:06:03 am »

Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Play 2 actions among the revealed cards, other than. Put the rest back and gain a copper onto your deck.

"Other than" what?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2022, 02:07:49 pm »

Its a weird mix of golem and lost city, which would normally be VERY powerful, but the more greedy you get with these, the more you get punished. I really wanted to make something for this that gives this specific hex for you, my other opption was a feast with the same punishment, but that wouldnt work out. The name is from a city in mexico where the cola is better accessible for the normal person than water, so i think it fits very well.
This looks very weak. If you just hit one Action, you got a self-juking cantrip. And due to the Attack, this happens more often than not.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »

Dough
$2
Night - Duration
Yeast
$6
Action - Duration

i think it could be hard to uncover yeast, because who would want more than a single dough? giving it +1 card for the next turn could already be fixing that maybe? So its a cantrip

So one thing I am thinking players could do with 2 or 3 Doughs is they can play 1 each turn which keeps all there starting junk card "trapped" in the Dough loop. This would give massive deck control as any future green cards could also get swallowed up in the chain. The Dough loop also deals with unnecessary copiers of itself as they keep just being relooped with the rest of the junk until needed helping guarantee a Dough loop on future turns. So I hesitate to give Dough any more rewards then just comboing with Yeast. Now believe it would be rare for players to want to get all 5 copies of Dough but that is one core issue each Split pile much deal with. One player purchasing all 5 copies of Dough without a decent source of buys would likely be too time consuming and I think I am okay with that.

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:29 am »

Here is an updated version:

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2022, 10:54:20 am »
+3

Pantry, Action - Reserve, $4

Gain a card costing up to $4.
Put this on your tavern mat.

At the start of your turn, you may call this to draw until you have 6 cards in hand, and then you may trash a card from your hand.

Not all food has to be eaten immediately.

Chappy77

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2022, 11:45:46 am »
+4

Hey this is Chappy7....Just had to make a new account for my work computer lol.

Anyway, this is the official warning! I'll be closing the contest in ~12-14 hours.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2022, 01:12:04 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Costermonger • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
This turn, you may buy and gain Fruit as if it were in the Supply.

Apples • $1* • Treasure - Fruit
$1
+1 Buy

(This is not in the Supply.)
Cherries • $4* • Treasure - Fruit
$2
+1 Buy

Mangos • $7* • Treasure - Fruit
$3
+1 Buy

My submission is fairly straightforward. Costermonger is a peddler variant that allows a player to buy or gain Fruit. Each Fruit corresponds to a basic Treasure, costing $1 more and giving +1 Buy in addition to the normal payload. There are 10 copies of each Fruit (and 10 Costermongers, obvi). 

FAQ:
  • Costermonger is an Action card that allows the player who plays it to buy or gain Fruit cards.
  • There are three Fruit cards: Apples, Cherries, and Mangos. In games using Costermonger, include Apples, Cherries, and Mangos.
  • Like any card not in the Supply, players cannot generally buy Fruit cards during the Buy phase or gain them using cards or landscapes that say "gain" (e.g. Workshop).
  • However, once a player plays a Costermonger's ability, for the rest of the turn they treat the Apples, Cherries, and Mangos as if they were cards in the Supply for the purposes of buying and gaining cards.
  • Once this happens, the effect continues until the end of the turn, and is not optional. For example, if a player plays Costermonger then plays Upgrade (from Intrigue) and trashes a Copper, they must gain an Apples if available (although, had they not played Costermonger first, they would gain nothing).
  • An empty Apples, Cherries, and/or Mangos pile does not count towards an end-of-game condition, even at the end of a turn in which a Costermonger was played.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2022, 02:56:00 pm »

Here's a split pile. 4 copies of each, same as the other ones in Allies.

Breakfast
$3 Action - Victory - Mealtime
+3 Actions
You may rotate the Mealtimes

Lunch
$4 Action - Mealtime
+2 Cards
If the previous card you played doesn't have +Actions in its text, +1 Action. You may play an Action card which doesn't have +Actions in its text.

Dinner
$5 Action - Mealtime
+$3
+1 Buy
You may rotate the Mealtimes.

Midnight Snack
$6 Night - Duration - Mealtime
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Return to your Action phase. At the start of your next turn, discard 2 cards.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2022, 03:26:36 pm »
+1

Power level is kind of off with Lunch being the best of the bunch. Also, kinda vanilla heavy.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2022, 03:27:10 pm »

Breakfast
+3 Actions

Lunch
$4 Action - Mealtime
+2 Cards
If the previous card you played doesn't have +Actions in its text, +1 Action. You may play an Action card which doesn't have +Actions in its text.

Dinner
$5 Action - Mealtime
+$3
+1 Buy

Midnight Snack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Lunch has to specify where the played Action card comes from (I assume your hand).
Also, I know this is nitpicky, but the vanilla bonuses on Dinner should be reversed, as + come after +Buys (except on Treasures).

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2022, 09:42:17 pm »

Power level is kind of off with Lunch being the best of the bunch. Also, kinda vanilla heavy.

Breakfast
+3 Actions

Lunch
$4 Action - Mealtime
+2 Cards

Dinner
$5 Action - Mealtime
+$3
+1 Buy

Midnight Snack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Lunch has to specify where the played Action card comes from (I assume your hand).
Also, I know this is nitpicky, but the vanilla bonuses on Dinner should be reversed, as + come after +Buys (except on Treasures).

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm fine with them being vanilla, but the other stuff seems worth updating:

Breakfast
+3 Actions

Lunch
$4 Action - Mealtime
+2 Cards
If the previous card you played this turn doesn't have +Actions in its text, +1 Action.

Dinner
$5 Action - Mealtime
+1 Buy
+$3

Midnight Snack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Return to your Action phase. At the start of your next turn, discard a card.

Changelog:
* Removed the "may play an action" clause on Lunch, now it's a sometimes-lab instead of a sometimes-lost-city.
* Properly ordered the buy and coins on Dinner
* Buffed Midnight Snack

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2022, 10:23:34 pm »
+1

Breakfast
+3 Actions

Why is Breakfast a Victory card?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Snes

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2022, 12:22:17 am »
+1

Beekeeper - $4
Action - Reaction

+2 Cards
If you have no other cards in play, gain a Gold.
-
When another player plays an Attack, you may first play this from your hand.
Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2022, 09:24:20 am »
+3

My Submission:

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

$1
+1 Buy

$2
+1 Buy

$3
+1 Buy

My submission is fairly straightforward. Costermonger is a peddler variant that allows a player to buy or gain Fruit. Each Fruit corresponds to a basic Treasure, costing $1 more and giving +1 Buy in addition to the normal payload. There are 10 copies of each Fruit (and 10 Costermongers, obvi). 

FAQ:
  • Costermonger is an Action card that allows the player who plays it to buy or gain Fruit cards.
  • There are three Fruit cards: Apples, Cherries, and Mangos. In games using Costermonger, include Apples, Cherries, and Mangos.
  • Like any card not in the Supply, players cannot generally buy Fruit cards during the Buy phase or gain them using cards or landscapes that say "gain" (e.g. Workshop).
  • However, once a player plays a Costermonger's ability, for the rest of the turn they treat the Apples, Cherries, and Mangos as if they were cards in the Supply for the purposes of buying and gaining cards.
  • Once this happens, the effect continues until the end of the turn, and is not optional. For example, if a player plays Costermonger then plays Upgrade (from Intrigue) and trashes a Copper, they must gain an Apples if available (although, had they not played Costermonger first, they would gain nothing).
  • An empty Apples, Cherries, and/or Mangos pile does not count towards an end-of-game condition, even at the end of a turn in which a Costermonger was played.

Who wants to buy Apples or Cherries via 5-cost Action card?  Just buying a Market instead of Costermonger is much stronger.  I think Costermonger needs more incentive to be bought, like Treasures cost $1 less this turn.

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2022, 11:00:42 am »

My Submission:

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

$1
+1 Buy

$2
+1 Buy

$3
+1 Buy

Could Costermonger not read "This turn, you may buy and gain Fruit." removing the last half of the sentence?
I'm struggling to understand why anyone would ever buy Apples as presented. I could see several ways to improve this.
Option-A: Have the gaining of Costermonger include the gaining of an Apple.
Option-B: Reduce the cost of Costermonger by $1 and remove Apples.
Option-C: Change the Fruit to a split pile with one of each per player.
Option-D: Change Apples so be more negative and have Costermonger dispense them to other players.
Option-E: Remove Costermonger's coin to instead reduce Fruit's cost by $1 for your turn.
Option-F: Each fruit produces a Coffer when not the first played this turn.
Option-G: At Clean-up Apples allow you to trash a Copper from play when more than one Copper is in play.
Option-H: Each fruit cost one more. Cherries and Mangoes produce a Coffer if an Apple is in play.
Option-I: Reduce the cost of Fruit by $1. The gaining of a Cherries or a Mango gains an Apple to deck top.
Option-J: Costermonger reveals the top deck card. If it is a Fruit, it is gained to your hand.
Option-K: At Clean-up Cherries allow you to trash a Treasure costing less than it, from play when more than one of that Treasure is in play.
Option-L: At Clean-up Mangos allow you to trash a Treasure costing less than it, from play when more than one of that Treasure is in play.
So many other ways to improve this. Best of luck!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:24:01 am by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2022, 11:23:42 am »

Beekeeper - $4
Action - Reaction

+2 Cards
If you have no other cards in play, gain a Gold.
-
When another player plays an Attack, you may first play this from your hand.

Gaining a Gold with such a low threshold seams like it would warrant the card costing $5.
The cost of $4 ought to include a higher bar, like trashing a Treasure costing more than $1 from your hand too.
Best of luck to you!

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2022, 02:09:06 pm »

Who wants to buy Apples or Cherries via 5-cost Action card?  Just buying a Market instead of Costermonger is much stronger.  I think Costermonger needs more incentive to be bought, like Treasures cost $1 less this turn.

At $4, unless there's a better Kingdom card, Cherries will often be a solid buy. Apples is, admittedly, a marginal card, but if I was going to make Silver+Buy and Gold+Buy, I wanted a Copper+Buy for symmetry (and the Rule of 3). There are some circumstances when a player might want it (with Delay or WotTurtle, it can allow you to Transmogrify Coppers). IRL it might not be worth the costing of printing and storage space (although that doesn't keep them from having Madman).

While Market would be better in a lot of Kingdoms, it isn't strictly so. Peddler variants are strongest in engines, especially when there's good trashing. I a Kingdom with a junking attack, and few engine components, being able to sprinkle +Buys into your payload might be a better strategy than tying it to your peddler variant. Costermonger also has a strong synergy with cards/Landmarks that care about variety (Fairgrounds, Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Investment, Magic LampKeep, Museum).

Could Costermonger not read "This turn, you may buy and gain Fruit." removing the last half of the sentence?

Potentially, but I think the extra wording makes it clearer, and it doesn't compress the text too much.

I'm struggling to understand why anyone would ever buy Apples as presented.

Again, I will acknowledge that Apples is a pretty marginal card, and would rarely be bought, except to be another, different card in a players deck (it's easy to imagine a player buying it in a game with Museum, especially after they've bought and played the other Fruit, and use the extra $1 for 2VP).

There could be some circumstances where it might be gained. Since Costermonger is a cantrip, you can easily play other Action cards after it. For example, if you used Dismantle on an Estate, you'd rather get an Apples than a Copper along with your Gold (especially since you can then Dismantle the Apple into a Copper and a Gold).

I could see several ways to improve this.

I'm not sure that it needs to be improved. A pure peddler variant (+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1) is notoriously unpriceable, since it has to cost more than the $4 Poacher (which it is almost strictly better than), but less than several cards that are peddler+ at $5: Market (+Buy), Bazaar (+Action), Treasury (recursion), Artificer (discard-for-gain), Baker (Coffers instead of Coin), Skirmisher (conditional attack). Costermonger's ability isn't the strongest of these, but in at least some cases (e.g. wanting variety) it might be the best, and in others it's at least passable (and most games with Costermonger won't have another peddler variant).

Option-D: Change Apples so be more negative and have Costermonger dispense them to other players.
Option-E: Remove Costermonger's coin to instead reduce Fruit's cost by $1 for your turn.
Option-G: At Clean-up Apples allow you to trash a Copper from play when more than one Copper is in play.
Option-H: Each fruit cost one more. Cherries and Mangoes produce a Coffer if an Apple is in play.
Option-I: Reduce the cost of Fruit by $1. The gaining of a Cherries or a Mango gains an Apple to deck top.
Option-J: Costermonger reveals the top deck card. If it is a Fruit, it is gained to your hand.
Option-K: At Clean-up Cherries allow you to trash a Treasure costing less than it, from play when more than one of that Treasure is in play.
Option-L: At Clean-up Mangos allow you to trash a Treasure costing less than it, from play when more than one of that Treasure is in play.

I think Option A nerfs a card that is already somewhat on the weaker side at its price point. Option B makes it too good (even without any access to the Fruit, a Peddler variant without a drawback cannot cost $4). So does Option D (an unconditional junking attack on a peddler variant would be super busted).  I think the same is probably true with Option J; although that bonus is somewhat limited, it would strongly encourage player to buy Fruits, which would then considerably increase the chances of this being a peddler+Lab (which is crazy strong at $5). On the other hand, I think Option E is too weak; not being able to

I don't think Option C works; if the Apples are on top of the other cards, it would likely make it so none of them were ever bought/gained. As for Options F, G, H, I, K, and L, I do like the simplicity of the Fruit as they currently exist.
he/him/his

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2022, 02:50:00 pm »
+5

I apologize for the delay. The contest is officially closed now, and I'll work on judging.  I'll update this comment with a list of entries.  If there are any I missed, please let me know.

Granary - Gubump
Meal - X-tra
Salt Pans - NoMoreFun
Lemonade Seller - majiponi
Potluck - czzzz
Cupbearer - 4est
Royal Banquet - lompeluiten
Greengrocer - xyz123
turkey - AJL828
WOT Turkey - Erick648
Grocer - Augie279
Granary (2) - JW
Meal (2) - Builder Roberts
Sweets - Captain Reklaw
Meat Pie - Xen3k
Gluttony/Silver Spoon - nyxfulloftricks
Marmalade - nagdon
Dessert - BryGuy
Dough/yeast - arowdok
Grand Banquet - CommodorChuckles
Honey - SignError
mayor of san cristóbal - sumrex
Buffet - LTaco
Smorgasbord - Kru5h
Pantry - J410
Costermonger - emtzalex
Mealtimes - Will(owliam)
Beekeeper - Snes
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:10:59 pm by Chappy7 »

BryGuy

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2022, 03:34:42 pm »

I'm struggling to understand why anyone would ever buy Apples as presented.

Again, I will acknowledge that Apples is a pretty marginal card, and would rarely be bought, except to be another, different card in a players deck (it's easy to imagine a player buying it in a game with Museum, especially after they've bought and played the other Fruit, and use the extra $1 for 2VP).

There could be some circumstances where it might be gained. Since Costermonger is a cantrip, you can easily play other Action cards after it. For example, if you used Dismantle on an Estate, you'd rather get an Apples than a Copper along with your Gold (especially since you can then Dismantle the Apple into a Copper and a Gold).

I could see several ways to improve this.

I'm not sure that it needs to be improved. A pure peddler variant (+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1) is notoriously unpriceable, since it has to cost more than the $4 Poacher (which it is almost strictly better than), but less than several cards that are peddler+ at $5: Market (+Buy), Bazaar (+Action), Treasury (recursion), Artificer (discard-for-gain), Baker (Coffers instead of Coin), Skirmisher (conditional attack). Costermonger's ability isn't the strongest of these, but in at least some cases (e.g. wanting variety) it might be the best, and in others it's at least passable (and most games with Costermonger won't have another peddler variant).

I think Option A nerfs a card that is already somewhat on the weaker side at its price point. Option B makes it too good (even without any access to the Fruit, a Peddler variant without a drawback cannot cost $4). So does Option D (an unconditional junking attack on a peddler variant would be super busted).  I think the same is probably true with Option J; although that bonus is somewhat limited, it would strongly encourage player to buy Fruits, which would then considerably increase the chances of this being a peddler+Lab (which is crazy strong at $5). On the other hand, I think Option E is too weak; not being able to

I don't think Option C works; if the Apples are on top of the other cards, it would likely make it so none of them were ever bought/gained. As for Options F, G, H, I, K, and L, I do like the simplicity of the Fruit as they currently exist.

How is Option-A "nerfing", when you would have to expend a Buy and $1 to gain it later?

My mind is more geared toward printing and playing IRL. It appears i was not clear, Costermonger is fine, Apples seams like a waste of ink in its current form. I like the set, but i'd either have to not include Apples or find a way to improve it. The more i think about it i'm not sure the Mangos pile would ever be depleted. Here is another idea:
Option-M Apples reveals the top deck card. If it is a Fruit, it is gained to your hand. This gives players some interest in obtaining Apples and ties the set closer by enticing one to buy more Fruit, maybe by gaining more Costermongers. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:37:58 pm by BryGuy »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2022, 08:34:18 pm »
+7

Official Judging! I'm not going to go into as much detail as some of the awesome judges we get here.  Sorry.  I'm not as much of a dominion guru as some of yall. I’ll give them a rating, but it’s basically just how much I like it, so don’t be sad if I give you a low rating.

Granary – Gubump
   Clever.  Same sifting theme as silos and such, scaled down to a $2 level.  Love the simplicity. 8/10

Meal - X-tra
   This is an interesting one. Might be a bit too easy to set up a mega turn with these bad boys, as it is still a pretty good card even with the setting aside part.  Being non terminal means it can fit into most decks. After buying and setting aside one, the rest of you Meals can be “+1 action +2 buys +$6 Trash this” which seems pretty wild.  Them being one shots and the pile depleting could make the decision interesting, but at that point you’ll have had so much buying power that it might not matter.5/10

Salt Pans – NoMoreFun
   Oh cool idea. Situationally a powerhouse, often not very good.  Great theme. I like it.  8/10

Lemonade Seller – majiponi
   Like a mini Galleria.  Turns coppers into, well, Emtzalex’s Apples. With it being a stop card, it’s no powerhouse, which is of course fine at $2, but my concern is that is pretty terrible in kingdoms with +buy already.  Seems a tad too situational, but I still like it.  5/10

Potluck – czzzz
   Council Room is a personal favorite of mine, so I like where you’re going with this. This still seems like a better Merchant ship and a cheaper price, even with the drawback.  I know merchant ship is a weak $5, but still.  This seems too good at $4.  I love the idea though, just needs some tweaking imo.  5/10

Cupbearer - 4est
   Very cool.  I feel like this would mostly be used to purchase a couple/few early game and trash them ASAP to clean out your starting cards, but it is still a little bit useful late game, especially in a sloggy game.  9/10

Royal Banquet – lompeluiten
   TBH I think this has the same issue as the OG feast.  It just isn’t very exciting. Other than feast, the next best comparison is probably Distant Lands, where you spend $5 now to get a delayed 4%, where here you can spend $5 now to get a delayed 2% and an engine piece/gold, or spend $5 now to get a delayed 5% if you grab a Duchy.  Doesn’t seem bad, but it doesn’t excite me.  Early game I’m not buying these unless I hit $5 and theres a vital $6 piece, like Goons, which is relatively rare.  Late game, if I’m at the point when I want duchies, I probably prefer the 3% now most of the time.  4/10

Greengrocer - xyz123
   The mandatory gaining is what makes this interesting.  You can gain a $3 and bag a Coffer, or gain a $4 making this an overpriced workshop, or use some saved up coffers to gain something better. Not being able to just play this for the Coffers means the decisions will get interesting,  I think. 7/10

turkey - AJL828
   All around a well made card IMO.  Clever way to mimic HOP while still being different enough to warrant existing. 8/10

WOT Turkey - Erick648
   Thanksgiving indeed! Everyone likes when you play this, and with the right ally, this can make for some utterly bonkers games I bet. Seems like a good Way. 8/10

Grocer - Augie279
   Draw to X is fun, and this comes with the disappearing money needed.  Now all you need is some +actions in the kingdom. Situational, and one that I probably wont be clamoring for in most kingdoms, but I would be happy to exchange a moat or even a smithy for it.  6/10

Granary (2) – JW
   I actually really like this.  It encourages early greening with alt VP, kind of like crop rotation. It also enables draw to X, and cards that like being discarded. 9/10, and then I dock a point for the repeat name, for 8/10 total

Meal (2) - Builder Roberts
   This is still too good imo.  These get rushed in most kingdoms I bet.  I like the idea of a lurker that skips the middle man, but it needs to come with some kind of drawback imo. 4/10 and dock a point for the repeat name for 3/10.

Sweets - Captain Reklaw
   Yeah sorry but this is too strong.  It’s not like it’s game breaking or anything, but it’s just so easy to compare such simple cards to each other, and this just messes with the whole balance of silver costing $3.  And being simple is good but being boring is….less good. 3/10

Meat Pie - Xen3k
   This seems like it would be fun.  Normally, all your actions will be in play, so you’ll be left with victories, treasures, and nights, making this card a fun puzzle to try to activate. Thematically, I’m not quite sure how a meat pie is a liaison, but we’ll just roll with it. 6/10

Gluttony/Silver Spoon – nyxfulloftricks
   TBH this seems too strong.  It wouldn’t be too hard to just not get silvers, and spam Gluttony as a cheap highway. And it comes with a built in +1 Buy.   I do enjoy the idea of restricting silver plays and gaining silvers, but it just seems to easy to avoid that decision all together. Any kind of worskshop variant would probably target this before almost anything, especially since it buffs up gainers in the first place.  SS would make for some fun game beginnings though.  I like the mini-Mine affect on an heirloom.  6/10

Marmalade – nagdon
   Cool idea.  Seems like this would be very good in big decks that aren’t drawing themselves, and then become very sad if you draw your whole deck.  Seems like a good piece to help get the engine running before you have all the pieces. I also like the 3 cards being “preserved” like marmalade.  8/10

Dessert – BryGuy
   I know you adjusted it….but this is still just way too strong imo.  Play as a lab this turn, next turn you get 3 card draw of cards that you know you can play this turn. Lab+adventurer on steroids.  Seems too strong.  Also, you kinda lost me on the theme.  It’s called dessert but the way it plays doesn’t give me any dessert vibes. 2/10

Dough/yeast – arowdok
   I agree with the criticisms.  I don’t think yeast will be seen in many kindgdoms.  Now, we know rocks isn’t always seen and it doesn’t invalidate the whole pile, so I’ll still give it a fair look. I love the interaction between dough and yeast, as well as the theme.  The yeast raises the dough and makes it better.  I Just think dough needs a little help.  I’m rarely even going to want one of these I think.  Cool idea, though.  I like it. 5/10

Grand Banquet – CommodorChuckles
   Oh fun.  Very Cornucopia.  Simple and cool, as this can range from terrible to really great.  This seems like a better way to do pilgrimage tbh.  8/10

Honey – SignError
   Fascinating, creative, and hard for me to wrap my little brain around.  First thoughts are that it’s maybe a little weak, but like I said, this one isn’t easy to gauge the power level of haha. If I understand right, you could play from exile, and then move back to exile, the same action card with every play of honey, right? (after the first of course, unless theres another exiler in the kingdom) Love the theme. 7/10

mayor of san cristóbal – sumrex
   This needs some wording clarifications.  “Other than.”  Since I don’t really know what that ability is, it’s hard to judge.    The name still isn’t super food themed imo.  Sure this town may have a harc time getting water/and easy time getting cola, but the card itself doesn’t allude to any of that.  Just assuming it is “reveal 5, play 2, gain a copper onto the deck” I like the idea.  If there is strong trashing and/or strong draw, I think this is OP, but the decision is still interesting. 4/10

Buffet – Ltaco
   Okay this seems over powered.  For $4, you can basically get +1 card every turn, since a card and a horse are roughly equal in value.  Compared to the $6 cost terminal hireling, that also needs to go through your deck once before getting played, this is too good.  On top of that, you have options, in case you’re already drawing your deck. 4/10

Smorgasbord - Kru5h
   Simple, strong, and the ability goes well with the name.  I like it.  Not too much else to say. I do wonder why the $1 is mandatory rather than just being added to the list and having it say “choose three” but I’m sure you had a reason. 8/10

Pantry - J410
      This looks like a fun twist on the $4 gainers, and I like the theme.  I'd like it better if the gained card was the one getting "put into the pantry" but I still like it.  I can't help but think that's it’s a little too good compared to armory, weaver, etc.  That call ability is pretty amazing. 6/10

Costermonger - emtzalex
      I love the idea, and I learned a new word from this card. however, I don't think this will get purchased much on most kingdoms.  A peddler at $5 is, as we know, bad, but sometimes fisherman gets purchased at $5 anyway.  The fruits available just don't seem tempting enough unless the kingdom has no +buy.  Overall I don't think it's a problem, but with the fruits being locked behind a weak card, I feel like they could cost the same as their regular kingdom counterparts. 7/10

Mealtimes - Will(owliam)
   I’m not sure why breakfast is a victory card, but ignoring that, this pile seems underwhelming. I like the idea of lunch, where you have to play a village, like breakfast, first, then a terminal, in order to make this go from a moat to a lab. But the rest is mostly uninteresting to me.  Not bad though, just a bit bland. I’m also not smart enough to tell how good midnight snack is but it looks fun. 5/10

Beekeeper - Snes
    Really cool idea, with a similar mechanic to tormentor.  I fear that this would be too good with big money and as a result would make many kingdoms less interesting, and that's without the reaction.  This is a very strong reaction, especially in response to non-discard attacks.  Probably underprice/over powered imo. 6/10

Finallists: Smorgasbord - Kru5h, Grand Banquet – CommodorChuckles, Marmalade – nagdon, Granary (2) – JW, turkey - AJL82, WOT Turkey - Erick648, Cupbearer - 4est, Granary – Gubump, Salt pans - NoMorefun

Winner is Cupbearer by 4est!

Runner ups are both of the Granaries.  Well done peeps, now who’s hungry?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:35:22 pm by Chappy7 »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2022, 09:29:05 pm »

Thanks for the win, Chappy7! Fun contest prompt and I enjoyed seeing the many tasty-looking submissions.

I'll get the next contest up in the next day or so.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2022, 12:49:09 am »

I disagree with the notion that Costermonger is weak. You just need to match one Coastermonger with a Workshop to get access to a crucial engine component. That is arguably better than Market in terms of achieving sufficient Buy decency (hey, you gotta only Buy one $5) and arguably worse as you use stop cards as source of extra Buys.

Snes

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2022, 05:55:22 pm »
+1

Beekeeper - Snes
    Really cool idea, with a similar mechanic to tormentor.  I fear that this would be too good with big money and as a result would make many kingdoms less interesting, and that's without the reaction.  This is a very strong reaction, especially in response to non-discard attacks.  Probably underprice/over powered imo. 6/10
That's fair.  I waited until the last minute to start designing this one, so I was in a bit of a rush to incorporate the themes I wanted to include.  I think I'll set aside the design for another card.

Here's my second crack at a Beekeeper.

Beekeeper - $3
Action - Reaction

+$2
If you have six or more cards in hand, you may gain a Gold.
-
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand, to trash that card.
Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2022, 03:02:01 pm »
+1

I disagree with the notion that Costermonger is weak. You just need to match one Coastermonger with a Workshop to get access to a crucial engine component. That is arguably better than Market in terms of achieving sufficient Buy decency (hey, you gotta only Buy one $5) and arguably worse as you use stop cards as source of extra Buys.

I guess we can agree to disagree.  Sorry bout that! I ain't claiming to be a good judge haha.  I just like trying to design cards, and occasionally judging is part of that process.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 20 queries.