Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower + Trail (+ WotM Lurker)  (Read 688 times)

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
Watchtower + Trail (+ WotM Lurker)
« on: November 07, 2022, 01:38:07 pm »
+1

Not sure if this has been noted already, or if I've missed something which means it doesn't work, but this seems like a fun infinite loop.

When you gain a Trail, if you reveal a Watchtower from your hand to trash the Trail, you can then play Trail twice. Have I got that right?

Now if you're playing with Way of the Mouse, with Lurker set aside, and there's a Trail in the trash and a Watchtower in your hand, you can make an infinite loop, enough to gain every Action card from the Supply, then draw and play them all in a single turn.

I think.

Play a card as Lurker, gaining the Trail (1) from the trash.
React to (1) with Watchtower to trash the Trail (2)
React to (1) with Trail to play the Trail (but it doesn't move into play), as Lurker, gaining the Trail (3) from the trash
React to (3) with Watchtower to trash the Trail (4)
React to (3) with Trail to play the Trail (but it doesn't move into play), as Lurker, gaining the Trail (5) from the trash
React to (5) with Watchtower to trash the Trail (6)
React to (5) with Trail to play the Trail (but it doesn't move into play), as Lurker, gaining the Trail (7) from the trash

etc...

React to (2n-1) with Watchtower to trash the Trail (2n)
React to (2n-1) with Trail to play the Trail (but it doesn't move into play), as Lurker, gaining the Trail (2n+1) from the trash.

So the single Trail has just been gained and trashed lots of times, as many as you like. But the fun bit is that you haven't resolved any of the "when you trash this" triggers of Trail yet.

Now you can react to (2), (4), (6), ... (2n) with Trail to play the Trail n times, where n is as large as you like. First play it as itself enough times to draw your deck, then play it as Lurker twice and itself once, to trash, gain and draw an Action card from the Supply, repeating for each Action card in the Supply.

All the Action cards are in your hand and you have something like 2n Actions so you can play them all.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower + Trail (+ WotM Lurker)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 01:39:27 pm »
+2

With the current rulings, you can't play Trail twice. If you play it on-gain, then Watchtower can't find it to trash it.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 01:55:53 pm »
+1

With the current rulings, you can't play Trail twice. If you play it on-gain, then Watchtower can't find it to trash it.
What if you react with Watchtower first?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 03:34:34 pm »
+4

Then you will fail to play Trail on-gain; because the current Stop Moving rule doesn't allow a card to be played if it can't be moved into play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 03:12:20 am »

Then you will fail to play Trail on-gain; because the current Stop Moving rule doesn't allow a card to be played if it can't be moved into play.

Ok, thanks. I thought I remembered something like that but couldn't find it when I searched the wiki. Then I thought "Throne Room + Feast still means Feast is played twice, so...". But I've found the ruling now, from June 2021.

So yes, ok, this doesn't work then. Oh well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 20 queries.