Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 47: No Good Mutineering Scallywags!  (Read 2077 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 47: No Good Mutineering Scallywags!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 08:42:27 pm »
+2

Fan Card Mechanics Week 47: No Good Mutineering Scallywags!
Alright, I am very happy with how many people submitted entries! Mutineers are a really cool idea, but are far weaker than an immediate discard. The -VP is basically there as a threat to ensure players do not allow too many to pile up, but early game accumulation of Mutineers does not seem as much of a penalty. It was pretty interesting seeing the different uses of them, and thank you for your participation! Without further rambling; the results!
Results

Pirate Recruiter by lompeluiten
Pirate Recruiter - 4$
Action - Attack
+2$
Give all other players 2 mutineers
If another player has at least 5 mutineers tokens, then +2$.
Judgement
Pirate Recruiter is an interesting Militia variant. Handing out Mutineers will always be weaker than immediate discards, but the potential for it to give +$4 instead of +$2 is an appealing prospect. It kinda reminds me of Baron, but far less consistent. If it ever comes online, it will be later into the game due to needing the Mutineers to pile up, or have multiple players go Pirate Recruiter. With the attack being this weak and it being terminal, I am not sure it is as appealing as Militia. I think if it handed out another Mutineers it would be more appealing, but I really do like the concept.

Buccaneer by LibraryAdventurer
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Each other player takes a Mutineer.
Judgement
Buccaneer is a Market that trades the +Buy for a Mutineer attack. Being a cantrip, it has a greater potential to flood the other players with enough Mutineers to actually hurt. As long as the Kingdom does not have a card that would benefit from having on demand discarding, I can see this doing some good work.

Buckaroo by Commodore Chuckles
Buckaroo - $4
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Mutineer
Gain a Horse.
----
When you gain this, +1 Mutineer.
Judgement
I am glad this was changed from the original version, but I think this is still very strong at $4. The Mutineer when you gain it helps balance it, but it still seems too good. I really like the concept, but I think to keep it at $4 it needs something more. Maybe another Mutineer on gain or play? I would like it more with just a little change.

Greedy Mate by czzzz
Greedy Mate - $4
Action
+3 Cards
+2 Mutineers
You may gain a Copper for +Action.
Judgement
A really cool Smithy variant. If it only had the option to gain a Copper for +1 Action, it would be underpriced at $4. With the added Mutineers gain, it feels just slightly weaker than Smithy, at least enough so to be optionally non-terminal. Junking yourself with Copper is a pretty rough, but it is a nice option to have available. Nice design.

Corrupted System by NoMoreFun
Corrupted System - $5
Action
+3 Mutineers
This turn, during your Action phase, when you discard any number of cards from your hand, +1 Card.
Judgement
Ok, this is really cool. Turning Mutineers into Cave Dweller favors as long as Corrupt System is in play is quite nice. The bonus card draw from discarding cards to any other effect is really strong. I’d have to try it out a bit to see just how strong of an effect it is, but it being terminal and priced at $5, I think this feels pretty balanced, depending on the Kingdom.

Ruined Wharf by weretheruler
Ruined Wharf - $4
(Action - Duration)
Now and at the start of your next turn:
+2 cards
+2 Mutineers
Judgement
A Wharf for $4, minus the Buy, plus Mutineer gain. Solid design, and not much more to say. I like it, and if it is too good there are tweaks that can be made without changing the price.

Dark Water by BryGuy
Dark Water - $2
+1 Action
+1 Mutineers
Choose one: (until the end of the turn) +$1 per card discarded; or (until end of turn) +1VP per card discarded.
Judgement
With the clarification on the effect lasting until end of turn, this just seems broken. First, it is nonterminal. Second, it only costs $2 for its effect.  Third, playing a Warehouse after this will net you either +$3 or +3 VP. If it was the only source of discarding (through the Mutineers), I think it may be ok, but there are so many other ways to discard cards. I also just thought of the fact you discard during cleanup, and I think you would gain VP for those cards as well. I like the idea of a cheap Mutineers gainer with a nice effect from discarding cards, but I don’t think this is balanced.

Press Gang by Erick648
Press Gang - $3
Action
+5 Cards
+5 Mutineers
Judgement
Oof, drawing 5 cards is really nice. I do not think the Mutineers have a hope of balancing out that kind of card draw for this price tag. Mutineers will most always be gotten rid of by discarding junk or green. With that in mind I would be more than happy to draw 5 cards and not get rid of any Mutineers that turn if I don’t have the junk or extra cards in hand. The design has a few things that can be modified to make it more reasonable, dropping the draw to +4 Cards would be my first step. I do really like the simplicity of the design though.

Jinxed Plunder by Builder_Roberts
Jinxed Plunder - $3
Treasure - Reaction
$2
+1 Mutineer
----
When you discard this, +2 Actions.
Judgement
This is a really cool idea. I like the price at $3. I like that you can’t immediately get rid of the Mutineers the same turn you play it. In a Kingdom without Villages, I can see this getting a lot of use. Otherwise, buying one or two early game for the flexibility would be something I would do. If I would change anything, I would see how it feels with +2 Mutineers. Probably fine as it is. Great design.

Impressment by emtzalex
Impressment - $0
Event
+2 Buys
+1 Mutineer
Judgement
I am not sure how I feel about having unlimited buys in a game. I know it comes at the cost of gaining Mutineers, and I like that you must wait for your next turn to get rid of them, certain cards notwithstanding. I can see how it would be quite dangerous to use this late game when another player could end the game before you get another turn. Simple, clean design.

Runner-Up
Greedy Mate by czzzz

Corrupted System by NoMoreFun

Ruined Wharf by weretheruler

Winner
Jinxed Plunder by Builder_Roberts

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 47: No Good Mutineering Scallywags!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 10:40:05 pm »
+1

Thanks for the win! This is my first time winning a contest, I'll try to get something up by tomorrow.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.693 seconds with 20 queries.