Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #167: Monster Mash  (Read 5000 times)

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #167: Monster Mash
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2022, 12:08:10 pm »
+1

Bastard child of Prince and Way of the Mouse. Not sure how to cost this. Significantly weaker than Inheritance and useless as an opening buy (unless Necropolis is the only village I guess?). Also requires not playing the set aside card on the turn you buy it, so starting at $4. Opinions welcome.

[King Rat]

It’s a lot like Summoning Circle posted above.  Rat King seems more appropriately priced.  It could use something to mark the set-aside card, like how Inheritance uses the Estate token.  Maybe make it a Project, and move your project cube to the set-aside card? I also like the theme in terms of the relation to existing Dominion cards.

Edit:  I agree with Udzu’s reply about not making it a Project because it has things to do right when it is bought.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:28:36 pm by SignError »

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2022, 01:36:01 pm »
+1

[King Rat]

It’s a lot like Summoning Circle posted above.  Rat King seems more appropriately priced.  It could use something to mark the set-aside card, like how Inheritance uses the Estate token.  Maybe make it a Project, and move your project cube to the set-aside card? I also like the theme in terms of the relation to existing Dominion cards.

Didn’t spot Summoning Circle, sorry! Given how similar it is, I’ll withdraw this and see if I can come up with something else.

Regarding making it a Project: I did do that originally, but then realised that projects don’t normally do anything when you buy them other than placing a cube.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2022, 02:51:59 pm »

Ally - Event
$2
Buy a card. You may trash a card from your hand, and an additional per card trashed this turn. You may pay 1 favor per time you have bought this this turn to buy this for $0.

An Ally Event that provides +buy at the cost of an increasing number of favors, as well as letting you trash a large number of cards. Keep in mind that you must buy a card, so if you only have (2) or (3) you must buy a curse or copper.

Might change this, haven’t had time to look at my repository of these so made a new one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 03:59:00 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2022, 11:22:22 pm »
+1

Summoning Circle
Way - Project - $6
Play the card you set aside, leaving it there.
-
Set aside a non-Command non-Duration Action card next to this from your hand costing up to $4.

The top part is the Way, the bottom part is the Project. The Way does nothing if you haven't bought the Project.
This seems quite prohibitively expensive compared to Inheritance, which
- does not require you to have the set-aside card in your hand
- turns useless cards in your deck useful rather than already useful cards slightly more useful
- allows you to increase your VP while gaining cheap engine components.

I agree that it's too expensive, but I think being able to play a $2 Action card as a $4 Action card, or being able to play a terminal card as a non-terminal card, is more than "slightly more useful". I lowered the cost to $5.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2022, 06:43:22 am »
+2

Inheritance forces you down a very specific path (no trashing Estates, striving hard to spike $7 which is significantly harder if you keep Estates) whereas this landscape is always useful. For example if you set aside a splitter, you can run a deck with only terminals. Champion level perfect consistency sounds pretty strong.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 06:45:39 am by segura »

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2022, 01:23:16 pm »
+3

Take two. Again, might need to play with it to get the balance right.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2022, 04:37:19 pm »
+2

Halloween Town -$5
Project - Ally - Liaison

At the start of your turn, +1 Favor.
-
At the start of your Buy phase, you may spend 2 Favors to gain a Treat.
Treat- $3
Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+2 Coffers
+1 Villager

Each other player takes Trick.
Return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply).
Trick
State
At the start of your Action Phase, return this, and the first action you play this turn gets +1 Card and +1 Action instead of following it's instructions.

Rules clarifications
Halloween Town is first and foremost a project that generates Favor. When pulling this card for a kingdom there are some decisions to be made due to its duality as both an ally and a Liaison. I would rather this not take up the only ally slot when setting up your kingdoms, but rather be in addition to as a Liaison. The play pattern of this project is to generate favors while also allowing you to spend them if you do not like the play pattern of your other ally if you happen to bring one out.

Other Rules Clarifications
1. If there is another source of favor in a game with Halloween Town, you do not have to buy the project to use the Ally.
2. If you already have Trick, you cannot have two instances of Trick.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 03:59:06 pm by nyxfulloftricks »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2022, 05:08:47 pm »
+1

Halloween Town -$5
Project - Ally - Liaison

-
Treat- $3
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
Each of your opponents gain a Trick. Return this to its pile.
Trick
State
At the start of your Action Phase, return this, and the first action you play this turn gets +1 Card and +1 Action instead of following it's instructions.

Rules clarifications
Halloween Town is first and foremost a project that generates Favor. When pulling this card for a kingdom there are some decisions to be made due to its duality as both an ally and a Liaison. I would rather this not take up the only ally slot when setting up your kingdoms, but rather be in addition to as a Liaison. The play pattern of this project is to generate favors while also allowing you to spend them if you do not like the play pattern of your other ally if you happen to bring one out.

The official wording for Treat would be "each other player takes Trick." "Gains a [cardname]" is only used for actual cards, not landscapes like States.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2022, 10:07:23 pm »

The official wording for Treat would be "each other player takes Trick." "Gains a [cardname]" is only used for actual cards, not landscapes like States.

Thank you for pointing this out. I have updated the wording.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2022, 01:34:14 am »
+5

Happy Halloween!!!
This is the...

24 Hour Warning

You have one dark day to get you final submissions in. Here are the submission I see so far:

Please let me know if I'm missing anything or have the wrong submission
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2022, 06:54:39 am »

Summoning Circle
Way - Project - $6
Play the card you set aside, leaving it there.
-
Set aside a non-Command non-Duration Action card next to this from your hand costing up to $4.

The top part is the Way, the bottom part is the Project. The Way does nothing if you haven't bought the Project.
This seems quite prohibitively expensive compared to Inheritance, which
- does not require you to have the set-aside card in your hand
- turns useless cards in your deck useful rather than already useful cards slightly more useful
- allows you to increase your VP while gaining cheap engine components.

I agree that it's too expensive, but I think being able to play a $2 Action card as a $4 Action card, or being able to play a terminal card as a non-terminal card, is more than "slightly more useful". I lowered the cost to $5.
I think you need to phrase it differently:

Project
Set aside a non-Command non-Duration Action card next to this from your hand costing up to $4. You can now use that card as if it was an way.

But that makes it officially just an project.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2022, 12:34:26 pm »
+4

Here is my entry

Monster Mash
$8
Way - Event
Play the two cards you have set-aside, in any order, leaving them there.
-
Setup: Make a Monster deck out of different unused Attack cards.
-
Once per game: Reveal the top 5 cards of the Monster deck. Set-aside 2 of the revealed cards. Put the rest on the bottom of the Monster deck in any order.
This way does nothing for players until they purchase the Event. This does cost a lot at $8 but giving players access to a Powerful Way should probably cost quite a bit. I don't love the 2 dividing lines but as more most of the designs I brainstormed this week, it was hard to fit two text boxes into 1 card. Also it feel like landscape textboxes have much less space then portrait cards. Also I am not sure if it is allowed to name my card the Title of this week's contest but the themed seemed like a good match.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2022, 01:02:43 pm »
+1

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2022, 02:50:15 pm »
+1

Halloween Town -$5
Project - Ally - Liaison

-
Treat- $3
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
Return this to its pile.
Trick
State

Rules clarifications
Even without the delay via Treat this would likely be too weak. Coffers and Draw is of similar strength and Sinister Plot used right leads to more than 1/2 card per turn. The Enchantress attack does not compensate enough.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2022, 04:00:13 pm »

Even without the delay via Treat this would likely be too weak. Coffers and Draw is of similar strength and Sinister Plot used right leads to more than 1/2 card per turn. The Enchantress attack does not compensate enough.

I had forgotten about Sinister Plot, thank you for pointing that out. In comparison to that, I have altered Treat to spice it up a bit.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2022, 05:34:16 pm »
+1

I had forgotten about Sinister Plot, thank you for pointing that out. In comparison to that, I have altered Treat to spice it up a bit.

Halloween Town -$5
Project - Ally - Liaison

-
Treat- $3
Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+2 Coffers
+1 Villager

Return this to its pile.
Trick
State

You might have gone a bit too far. Now every other turn it’s a net +2 Cards and +2 Coffers (roughly x4 the value), plus convert an Action to a Villager.  Still delayed via Treat, but that doesn’t matter that much.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 05:41:21 pm by SignError »

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2022, 11:22:13 pm »
+1

Halloween Town -$5
Project - Ally - Liaison

-
Treat- $3
Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+2 Coffers
+1 Villager

Return this to its pile.
Trick
State

You might have gone a bit too far. Now every other turn it’s a net +2 Cards and +2 Coffers (roughly x4 the value), plus convert an Action to a Villager.  Still delayed via Treat, but that doesn’t matter that much.

With designs that have this many numbers/moving parts it becomes super difficult to judge the balance. In my opinion, it is probably better to playtest this and other complicated complicated designs when they are overtuned. It is easy enough to scale numbers back after learning if the overall play pattern is fun and worth balancing. What I find is way worse is when a play tester tries out a complicated card which looks fun to them and it does nothing. It is harder to tell if the play pattern was the problem or just bad numbers. The designer may consider delaying the project's source of favor by pushing the cost up to $6 so players will not get it on a luck 5/2 split on turn 1. Though players may still get some early favor using other liaisons and get a Treat or two quickly that way, which sounds fun enough.

Side note: I personally love the aesthetic choice of using +3, +2, +1.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 11:23:18 pm by arowdok »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2022, 02:06:22 am »
+1

Contest Closed!!!

Here is what I have for the list of entries. Please check to make sure I have yours on here, and am liked to the correct post.
I'll try to get the judging completed over the next couple of days.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2022, 09:53:26 am »
+3

I have been slammed at work and have not had as much time to judge these as I had hoped. I'll should be able to get them finished this weekend.
he/him/his

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2022, 03:11:42 am »
+1

I have been slammed at work and have not had as much time to judge these as I had hoped. I'll should be able to get them finished this weekend.
Any news?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2022, 09:45:06 am »
+2

Maybe we should have another rule: when the judge cannot post the result within 7 days after submission closing, the participants can decide who will hold the next contest.

I think faust is nice to host another contest.  Is there anyone who will like to host, or recommend another person?

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2022, 10:58:15 am »
+2

Maybe we should have another rule: when the judge cannot post the result within 7 days after submission closing, the participants can decide who will hold the next contest.

I think faust is nice to host another contest.  Is there anyone who will like to host, or recommend another person?

I second this idea, but would go for maybe a four day grace period to keep the ball rolling. I would usually default to runner's up starting a new contest, but in this case having a mod either judge or start the next would be appropriate.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2022, 07:16:15 pm »
+2

Any news?

Sorry for the delay. This weekend was busier than I thought. I'm most of the way through, and will have something posted tonight/in the morning (forum time).
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2022, 03:35:07 am »
+4

Weekly Design Contest #167: Monster Mash

Sorry for the long delay. I've been having trouble sleeping and it's hurt my productivity, so getting through this has been a grind. I'm posting the results so the next contest can happen, and I'll try to get the feedback finished and posted ASAP.

Results:

Honorable Mention:
Way of the Dead (with Mummy) by 4est

Runner up:
Way of the Beast by nagdon

Winner:
Blood Oath by Chappy7

Congrats to Chappy7 and sorry again about the delays.
he/him/his

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2022, 11:19:36 am »

Cool, I'll post the new contest shortly
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.