Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #167: Monster Mash  (Read 4999 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #167: Monster Mash
« on: October 25, 2022, 01:00:52 am »
+3

Have you ever noticed that, while cards can have multiple types in any combination (including, since Intrigue, otherwise independent types), every landscape is just one type. But with Halloween coming this week--a time when barriers are breached and things aren't always what they seem--your task will be to break that rule and mash two kinds of landscapes. Specifically, this week's challenge is to:

Design a landscape that uses at least 2 official landscape types.

Originally I was going to limit this contest to two WELPs, but I'd prefer to leave the design space more open. If your combo has implications on the rules, please clarify. For example, if you design an Event - Artifact that can only be bought by the player that has it, you need to make that clear.

In addition to the multi-type landscape, feel free to use any number of supporting landscapes and/or cards (including non-Supply cards), and any official or fan mechanics (if you use a fan mechanic, please explain how it works or post a link). While fan mechanics are acceptable, the main landscape you submit needs to use at least two official mechanics (Acts and Edicts don't count). Also, if one of your submission's types is reliant on a kingdom card (i.e. an Artifact or State), make sure to include the card that gives players access to it (if necessary).

Finally, while not grounds for disqualification, I will be awarding points for landscapes with a flavor that fits the Halloween theme. Anything that involves or references monsters, spirits, magic, the occult, or anything supernatural will have a paw up on the competition.

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors for me are:
  • balance -- is the landscape useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms);
  • playability -- the landscape is fun to play and works/helps with more than one type of deck;
  • simplicity -- this doesn't always mean fewer words; a landscape with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with a couple lines of text that is hard to understand; and
  • topicality -- the landscape combines the types in an interesting way.

The deadline for submissions will be 05:00 UTC / 1:00 a.m. Eastern/Forum time on Tuesday, November 1, 2022.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 04:36:07 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #167: Monster Mash
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 05:17:52 am »
+3

Devil's Gift
Boon - Hex
Choose one: discard down to 4 cards in hand; or gain a Curse.  Each other player does the unchosen one.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 09:56:04 am »
+2

Séance - $3
Event - Project - Liaison

+1 Favor per differently named Action in the trash.
-
At the start of your Buy phase, you may trash an Action from your hand for +$3, +1 Buy.

Clarification: This is an Event/Project. You may buy it in either form; for the Event you get the top effect, for the Project the bottom. Once your project cube is on this, you can no longer buy it, not even for the Event.

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 03:26:04 pm »
+8

This is a Way and a Landmark.  Early game, playing this is a net negative 1/3 victory point, and helps you thin your deck slowly. If this gets used a lot and curses are gone, it becomes a net positive 1/3 victory point, while still thinning.  I'm not sure if exiling or trashing is considered better, as both have their advantages, but it is fairly comparable in power level to way of the goat.

The landmark portion of the card becomes pretty fun if you have other exile cards in the kingdom, but even on its own it can make a difference.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 04:44:21 pm by Chappy7 »

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 04:00:05 pm »
+1

Devil's Gift
Boon - Hex
Choose one: discard down to 4 cards in hand; or gain a Curse.  Each other player does the unchosen one.

How are players supposed to receive this? Is there a copy in the boon and a copy in the hex deck or just a copy in one deck?

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 04:40:33 pm »

Trick or Treat is an Event-Looter. For just $4, you get a $5 cost card plus a Ruins, not a terrible deal when comparing to something like Banquet. You can just get rid of the Ruins in the usual ways, or if you're feeling especially lucky, you can try to line it up with another Trick or Treat to replace it with something much better.

I should have made this clearer in the OP (I've updated it to clarify). The landscape needs to use at least 2 official landscape types. Sorry I that wasn't obvious in the OP.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 04:50:15 pm »

Ah, gotcha, withdrawing then and will come up with something different.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 07:21:32 pm »
+5

Summoning Circle
Way - Project - $5
Play the card you set aside, leaving it there.
-
You may set aside a non-Command non-Duration Action card next to this from your hand costing up to $4.

The top part is the Way, the bottom part is the Project. The Way does nothing if you haven't bought the Project, or bought it but didn't set aside anything.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 11:16:27 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 07:22:17 pm »
+5

Pay for Favors, and maybe get some VP if the Ally on the board isn't Island Folk. Simple but allows for a bit of strategy. Besides, does everything need to be the most complicated? other than the Event-Landmark-Liaison typing
they/them

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 02:55:42 am »

Summoning Circle
Way - Project - $6
Play the card you set aside, leaving it there.
-
Set aside a non-Command non-Duration Action card next to this from your hand costing up to $4.

The top part is the Way, the bottom part is the Project. The Way does nothing if you haven't bought the Project.
This seems quite prohibitively expensive compared to Inheritance, which
- does not require you to have the set-aside card in your hand
- turns useless cards in your deck useful rather than already useful cards slightly more useful
- allows you to increase your VP while gaining cheap engine components.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 02:14:18 pm »
+11

A Way you can upgrade! Once bought as Project, the Way turns into its upgraded form that draws you an extra card when used.

I quickly settled on a Way-Project, but it turns out to be quite hard to find something remotely balanced that is weaker than existing ways from the start, but quite a bit stronger when upgraded. It normally turns cards into conditional cantrips, but can turn them into conditional labs with a little purchase up front. The only difference with Imp is that it doesn't put an Imp in play, but a card you might want to play but now can't because you already have it in play.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 03:48:53 pm »
+7

Lots of dual-type Ways so far. Here's another one, an Artifact-Way! Way of the Dead is an Artifact that allows you and only you the ability to play any Action as a Necromancer. The Artifact comes from Mummy, a Salvager variant that Curses. Trashing an Action with it will let you seize Way of the Dead for yourself, and potentially set up some nice things for you (or eventually an opponent) to play with it.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 09:02:46 pm »
+5

For Way of the Cursed, the bottom half is the passive State effect, while the top is the Way effect.

Version History:
Warlock:
v0.1: Original version.
Way of the Cursed:
v0.1: Original version.
v0.2: Made the wording of the top portion clearer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 12:21:46 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022, 10:09:51 pm »
+5

Ways and Means
Event/Way - $2
Gain a Silver onto your deck
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:40:27 am by NoMoreFun »

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 12:58:09 am »
+2

Dark Pact - $0
Event - Landmark

Return up to 5VP. Choose a different thing per 1VP returned: +2 Cards; +2 Actions; +2 Buys; +$2; return to your Action phase.
-
Once during each of your turns, when you gain a Curse; +3VP.

Returning VP is a new mechanic, but should be fairly intuitive. It is referring to VP tokens, not Victory cards like Estates. You take up to 5 of your own VP tokens and put them in the pile of unused tokens. The VP tokens may have originally been obtained from Dark Pact, or from any other source.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 06:36:54 pm »
+2

Proscription
Project - Landmark
$5

Set aside card from the supply next to this costing at least $3 and place your project cube on it.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
When scoring -1VP per copy of a proscribed card you have that does not have your project cube on it.

Notes
- I wanted to make a landmark that was interactive in that players had a way of choosing which cards it applies to.
- There are not many landmarks that give negative points so I decided to do this.
- There is a similarity with Embargo, but I think this needs to cost significantly more as it retrospectively applies to cards your opponents already have.
- I hope this might encourage players to try different strategies so that they can proscribe a card their opponent's strategy is dependent upon.
- Multiple players can proscribe the same card. If they couldn't, I was concerned that boards with a dominant strategy dependent on a key card could be decided on who gets to proscribe it.
- The proscribed card has to cost at least $3. I was concerned that in games with no trashing, proscribing Copper would be a no brainer if there was no limit and Estates may also be too often the right move if the minimum was less than 3.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:38:23 pm by xyz123 »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 11:13:21 pm »
+2

People of the Pumpkin Patch
Ally - Landmark
When you gain a card costing $4 or more, you may spend a Favor.
If you don't, trash a Curse from the Supply and gain a Pumpkin.
----
When scoring, for each Curse in the trash, you may spend a Favor. Each time you don't, -1VP.
Carving Knife - $2
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
You may trash 2 cards from your hand, for +1 Favor. If you didn't trash a Pumpkin this way, gain a Pumpkin.
Pumpkin - $0* (pile of 8 per player)
Reaction
When you trash this, if you have Carving Knife in play and have not gained a Jack-O-Lantern this turn, +1 Coffers and gain a Jack-O-Lantern. Either way, return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Jack-O-Lantern - $3* (pile of 10 total)
Night
+1 Coffers
You may trash a Curse from the Supply for +2 Favors.
Return this to its pile.
----
When you trash this, gain a Curse and return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Things of Note
1. The Pumpkin gain from Carving Knife only happens when you trash cards with Carving Knife.
2. People of the Pumpkin Patch is pulled the same as any Ally, it just happens to have a Landmark included.
3. The Landmark portion of People of the Pumpkin Patch give players -1VP when scoring for the difference between the number of Curses in the trash and the number of Favors they have. It does not grant positive VP for having more Favors than Curses in the trash. I am really not sure if this is the best wording so suggestions are welcome.
4. The intention with the design of both Pumpkin and Jack-O-Lantern is for them to always return to their pile when trashed. Hoping I got the wording right.
5. Pumpkin doesn't really need the Reaction card type and the effect from it trashing is automatic like Fortress. I still wanted it to have some kind of type, so I went with Reaction.
6. I went with multiple variants of this with the goal of having a "mini game" within the game of dominion. I went with this balancing act of gaining favors to counter Curses in the trash along with juggling the powerful trashing of Carving Knife and Pumpkins junking your deck. I would have to play this with my group to fully judge if it is actually fun or not, but I think the interactions are novel enough.

Thanks for your time if you read the above. Feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 05:37:06 pm by Xen3k »

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2022, 12:04:51 am »
+7

Bronze

Coppers produces an extra $1.
-
When scoring, 1% per two Coppers you have.
Costs $7, Project-Landmark

Reworked Coppersmith concept
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 12:06:35 am by CaptainReklaw »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2022, 01:29:57 am »
+2

Way of the mermaid $5
Way - project - landmark
Put this card on the shipwreck mat
If you have your project cube on it, also recieve +1 action, +2$
-
+1 vp per card on your shipwreck mat

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2022, 09:58:01 am »
+1

Überwältigende Lawine
Event / Project 4$
At the start if your turn, discard 1 card, for +1 card or +1 buy.
----
Return your cube. If you do, at the end of this turn +7 cards, then discard 2 cards.

Removing the cube counts as "unbuying" the project, so you can buy it in the future again. The project part is really weak for 4, but buy it twice and lose the project ability, then you get a godlike hand. The name is there because its slow to get going, but then your next turn crushes everyone.
Feedback is appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 09:56:51 am by sumrex »

nagdon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2022, 11:58:20 am »
+2

EDIT: obsolete version, see current one below.

A multi-type card-shaped thing that likes multi-type Action cards. Rule clarifications:
  • This card-shaped thing belongs to the Allies pile and can be randomly selected from there when there is a Liaison in the Kingdom.
  • The text on this card-shaped thing should be interpreted as a Way: both the draw and the +Actions option happens when you play an Action and choose Way of the Beast.

This can act as a source of +Actions (limited by the available Favors) and also as a source of +Cards if there are suitable multi-type actions. (Usually there will be at least an Action-Liaison, but e.g. Attacks and Durations are also good candidates.)

I'm also thinking about saying something like "spend up to 3 Favors for +1 Action each" but that would make the text longer (and trigger a display ugliness in the card image generator). EDIT: I did something like this, see below.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 04:07:32 pm by nagdon »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 03:17:45 pm »
+2

A multi-type card-shaped thing that likes multi-type Action cards. Rule clarifications:
  • This card-shaped thing belongs to the Allies pile and can be randomly selected from there when there is a Liaison in the Kingdom.
  • The text on this card-shaped thing should be interpreted as a Way: both the draw and the +Actions option happens when you play an Action and choose Way of the Beast.

This can act as a source of +Actions (limited by the available Favors) and also as a source of +Cards if there are suitable multi-type actions. (Usually there will be at least an Action-Liaison, but e.g. Attacks and Durations are also good candidates.)

I'm also thinking about saying something like "spend up to 3 Favors for +1 Action each" but that would make the text longer (and trigger a display ugliness in the card image generator).

I would recommend rewording the first part to "+1 Card per type (Action, Liaison, etc.) this card has" to prevent misreadings. I didn't see the "this" at first and was quite confused.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

nagdon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 04:05:53 pm »
+3

Thanks for the wording suggestion, I applied it. As a nice side effect I was able to change the second part of the text without the text placement issues that I encountered earlier:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 04:08:22 pm by nagdon »

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2022, 06:57:53 pm »
+4

You can buy it as an event (applies only that turn) or a project (applies for the whole game). Buying as a project saves you buys, but locks you in for the rest of the game. Not always wise, but on draw-to-X boards, for example, this can be pretty good.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2022, 10:31:42 am »

Bastard child of Prince and Way of the Mouse. Not sure how to cost this. Significantly weaker than Inheritance and useless as an opening buy (unless Necropolis is the only village I guess?). Also requires not playing the set aside card on the turn you buy it, so starting at $4. Opinions welcome.

Update: it’s just been pointed out that this is essentially a duplicate of Summoning Circle (which I didn’t spot, sorry!), so I’m withdrawing this.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:40:46 pm by Udzu »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.