Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #165: More Favorites, More Fun  (Read 5626 times)

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #165: More Favorites, More Fun
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 11:33:44 pm »

Kind of a loose connection here, but I love Trail because it's a Reaction card with lots of cool combos, designed specifically around said combos. So, this is a Reaction card with cool combos, designed specifically to enable said combos.

Am I missing something? How does this enable its combo? It can't even trash!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2022, 11:38:31 pm »

Kind of a loose connection here, but I love Trail because it's a Reaction card with lots of cool combos, designed specifically around said combos. So, this is a Reaction card with cool combos, designed specifically to enable said combos.

Am I missing something? How does this enable its combo? It can't even trash!

It interacts with trashers, like how Trail interacts with trashers, discarders, and gainers. I didn't say it enabled combos by itself.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 03:41:21 am »
+6

I love Shepherd and the way it enables you to build your deck very differently from how you normally would. So here is a take on that (in which you can also see that I have a soft spot for Crypt):

Herder - $4
Action/Duration

+2 Cards
Set aside any number of Victory cards from your hand, face up (under this). While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, put one of them into your hand for +1 Action.
Heirloom: Pasture
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2022, 10:44:05 am »

I liked Explore.  So,

Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Gain a Copper and a Gold into your hand.

Like Wine Merchant, it earns $4 with drawback.  Like Explore, it directly gains into your hand.  Like Treasure Trove, it can gain a Gold!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2022, 12:29:13 pm »

Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Gain a Copper and a Gold into your hand.

Like Wine Merchant, it earns $4 with drawback.  Like Explore, it directly gains into your hand.  Like Treasure Trove, it can gain a Gold!

This is too strong. It's similar to Treasure Trove, except that it gives $4 instead of $2 and requires spending an Action. Spending an action isn't a sufficient penalty for the extra $2 (nor is Treasure Trove a weak card in money strategies).

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2022, 02:23:53 pm »

I went ahead and adjusted the wording on my  cards to match Pixie's wording of Discard the next Hex/Boon for better clarification as I agree. They would not be durations just as Blessed Village is not.

The problem there would be if you choose the discarded Boons/Hexes for next turn, but more Boons/Hexes get discarded atop of them (this has a good chance of happening, since the Boons are tied to a Village; and other players may flip some on their turn as well). The Boon and Hex piles could even get reshuffled until then! This is why the set aside seems handier in this situation.

You make a good point. I'll adjust the wording again.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2022, 02:51:35 pm »
+1

My favorite card is the warehouse. I always felt like nobody understood the raw power that card gives. In most games it was in, i would play at least 3 of them, while the rest just never bothered (or when they did, they cursed a lot because they didnt understand how to use it)

So to make people understand the card better, we have to marry it with the card that is often overvalued by beginners: the market

Guild warehouse $5
+3 cards
+1 action
+1 $
+1 buy
Discard 3 cards

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2022, 07:47:04 pm »
+2

Distributor
$4 - Action
You may rotate the Wares pile. Then gain the top card from it.

Notes: I love Black Market. But, having so many new cards to read can be too time-consuming, and the setup in in-person games is exhausting.

I believe that LastFootnote submitted a similar idea to a previous contest, but in a random order and without the ability to rotate the pile (I don’t think the rotate mechanic existed at the time). I believe that rotation meaningfully improves the card, because it reduces the inequality of who gets what while still leaving interesting decisions about which cards to go for.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2022, 09:55:20 pm »
+1

Poltergeist
Night - Duration - $4
Put your deck into your discard pile. You may set aside an Action card from it and play it at the start of your next turn.
-
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).

I love Ghost. It's sad how hard it is to get though, so why not make a Kingdom card that's similar? Poltergeist basically functions the same, including being able to play a card you just bought, but it only plays the card once, to keep the power level in check. It also gets rid of Ghost's randomness, which can annoy. I also added the gain-to-hand fun that other Night cards have.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:45:34 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2022, 11:02:51 pm »

Naming a favorite is tough.

My first venture game had WotT, which greatly changes the gameplay.

+(2)
You may play a terminal from your hand.
If the previous turn wasn’t yours, take an extra turn after this one, where when you play an action from your hand, set it aside (on this) and play it at the start of your next turn.
———
Action - Duration
———
(6)

Changelog:
Forgot to remove the +1 action when I added play a terminal action from your hand. (One that doesn’t let you play actions or give +actions or +villagers).
Added “if the previous turn wasn’t yours” and “(on this)”
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 12:15:02 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2022, 11:53:22 pm »
+1

Naming a favorite is tough.

My first venture game had WotT, which greatly changes the gameplay.

+1 action
+(2)
You may play a terminal from your hand.
Take an extra turn after this one, where when you play an action from your hand, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.
———
Action - Duration
———
(6)

1. I assume Terminal is the name of this card?
2. This can easily lead to infinite turns. In fact, it's guaranteed to if you play a Terminal during your extra turn.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2022, 12:29:44 am »
+6

Black Market is the card for people who can’t pick just one favorite Dominion card.  Story gives you that same experience, but with Events.

Edit: Updated this based on feedback. Now it also takes inspiration from Quarry. (Extra fun because the names kind of rhyme!)

Current Version:
Story - $4
Treasure

$1
Reveal the top 3 Events of the Story deck. You may buy one of the revealed Events. Discard the revealed Events.
-
Setup: Make a Story deck out of unused Events. Its Events cost $2 less.

Previous Version:
Story - $5
Treasure

$2
Reveal the top 3 Events of the Story deck. You may buy one of the revealed Events. Discard the revealed Events.
-
Setup: Make a Story deck out of unused Events.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 10:26:08 am by SignError »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2022, 01:05:57 am »
+1

Black Market is the card for people who can’t pick just one favorite Dominion card.  Story gives you that same experience, but with Events.

Story - $5
Treasure

$2
-

Welcome to the forums!

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2022, 01:47:02 am »
+2

Story - $5
Treasure

$2
-

As you still have to buy the event, i think the card should either cost 4 or even better: get an discount on the event (events cost 1 less to buy this turn)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2022, 02:18:09 am »
+1

https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Portcullis&description=%2B1%20Coffers%0A%2B1%20Villager%0AYou%20may%20trash%20a%20card%20from%20your%20hand.%0A-%0AWhen%20another%20player%20plays%20an%20Attack%20card%2C%20you%20may%20first%20play%20this%20from%20your%20hand.&type=Action-Reaction&credit=Illustration%3A%20Wikimedia&creator=v1.0%20MrHiTech&price=%243&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FJACV5fe.png&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=3&color1=0&size=0

One of the things that I really like about Watchtower, Secret Chamber, Horse Traders, etc. is how they're anti-Attack cards, but they don't just tell you that outright like Moat does. Instead, they just counter different Attack card types.

Take Watchtower for instance. The top is draw-to-X, which removes the penalty from discard attacks (albeit in a terminal way). The bottom is a defense against junkers, since it lets you trash a gained card.

Portcullis is kind of like a reverse Watchtower. Its top trashes junk, and its bottom protects against discard attacks (playing it and trashing a card gets you down to 3 cards in hand). It also has some of that Caravan Guard next-turn stuff without ripping it off too completely.

this is far too strong for $3. Compare to other $3 trashers like Trade Route, Forager, Goatherd, Student, Loan and you see Portcullis is far stronger just based only on the top-half (villager and coffer giving a huge advantage of the others). AND it is conditional trasher. It would be a good $4 with just the top half, the bottom half makes it a strong $4

I would recommend making it $4 and mandatory trashing

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2022, 06:56:38 am »

Story - $5
Treasure

$2
-

Should either give +1 Buy or a discount on the events imo
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2022, 08:53:36 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I reworked the Lost City Explorer into Hidden City Explorer with your helpful suggestions.

And the Reworked Hidden Cities:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:56:22 pm by CaptainReklaw »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2022, 11:11:22 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I reworked the Lost City Explorer into Hidden City Explorer with your helpful suggestions.

And the Reworked Hidden Cities:

1. You left out some words in Hidden City Explorer -- "you may the secret card and a treasure"
2. Machu Picchu's Attack should be on the top side of the horizontal line along with the vanilla effects.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2022, 11:32:30 am »
+1

Story - $5
Treasure

$2
-

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks!

As you still have to buy the event, i think the card should either cost 4 or even better: get an discount on the event (events cost 1 less to buy this turn)

Should either give +1 Buy or a discount on the events imo

Donald X. avoids making Silver-with-a-bonus at $4.  I agree that this is probably weak at $5; maybe it could work at $4, ignoring that guideline.

Like Black Market, buying the Event with Story doesn’t use up one of your normal Buys, so it’s kind of like this has a pseudo- +Buy.  And if you buy an Event that gives +1 Buy, then you actually did net an extra Buy.

The idea about Event cost reduction is interesting, and I was about to make a cheaper version that only made $1 but gave Event cost reduction, kind of like a Quarry for Events.  After all, if there are any problematic combos, you would have to go through the Event deck before you get to it again… except if the problematic Event is part of the actual Kingdom.  So Delve can immediately empty the Silvers.  Gamble + Tunnel can empty and play all the Golds.  Traveling Fair can give infinite Buys, so then a second event can be bought infinite times (Salt the Earth can make infinite VP; Tax can put infinite Debt on every Supply pile).

How about making the Events in the Story deck cheaper by a fixed amount?

Story - $4
Treasure

$1
-
Setup: Make a Story deck out of unused Events.  Its Events cost $2 less.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2022, 12:12:21 pm »

2. This can easily lead to infinite turns. In fact, it's guaranteed to if you play a Terminal during your extra turn.

1. No. I haven’t chosen a name, and meant a terminal action card. Will clarify. I always have trouble making cards that I first come up with the mechanics for. Suggestions would be nice.

2. Will fix, I forgot to the Previous turn clause.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2022, 01:10:47 pm »

1. No. I haven’t chosen a name, and meant a terminal action card. Will clarify. I always have trouble making cards that I first come up with the mechanics for. Suggestions would be nice.

2. Will fix, I forgot to the Previous turn clause.

To specify what you mean by terminal action on the card, you could try “you may play an Action card from your hand without +Actions in its text.” I would also recommend a clause to prevent throne variants and/or playing multiple of these in one turn, like outpost has.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2022, 01:20:23 pm »

https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Portcullis&description=%2B1%20Coffers%0A%2B1%20Villager%0AYou%20may%20trash%20a%20card%20from%20your%20hand.%0A-%0AWhen%20another%20player%20plays%20an%20Attack%20card%2C%20you%20may%20first%20play%20this%20from%20your%20hand.&type=Action-Reaction&credit=Illustration%3A%20Wikimedia&creator=v1.0%20MrHiTech&price=%243&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FJACV5fe.png&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=3&color1=0&size=0

One of the things that I really like about Watchtower, Secret Chamber, Horse Traders, etc. is how they're anti-Attack cards, but they don't just tell you that outright like Moat does. Instead, they just counter different Attack card types.

Take Watchtower for instance. The top is draw-to-X, which removes the penalty from discard attacks (albeit in a terminal way). The bottom is a defense against junkers, since it lets you trash a gained card.

Portcullis is kind of like a reverse Watchtower. Its top trashes junk, and its bottom protects against discard attacks (playing it and trashing a card gets you down to 3 cards in hand). It also has some of that Caravan Guard next-turn stuff without ripping it off too completely.

this is far too strong for $3. Compare to other $3 trashers like Trade Route, Forager, Goatherd, Student, Loan and you see Portcullis is far stronger just based only on the top-half (villager and coffer giving a huge advantage of the others). AND it is conditional trasher. It would be a good $4 with just the top half, the bottom half makes it a strong $4

I do think this card should cost $4 so players can't double open this. But I do not think don't make the trashing mandatory would be a good change it would almost would ruin the card as player could not use then for there money base. This cards' nontrashing effects are not too much better than from Candlestick Maker which is a $2.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2022, 01:42:33 pm »

Agreed–thanks for the feedback!

https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Portcullis&description=%2B1%20Coffers%0A%2B1%20Villager%0ATrash%20a%20card%20from%20your%20hand.%0A-%0AWhen%20another%20player%20plays%20an%20Attack%20card%2C%20you%20may%20first%20play%20this%20from%20your%20hand.&type=Action-Reaction&credit=Illustration%3A%20Wikimedia&creator=v1.1%20MrHiTech&price=%244&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FJACV5fe.png&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=3&color1=0&size=0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:57:46 pm by MrHiTech »

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2022, 03:43:11 pm »

The idea about Event cost reduction is interesting, and I was about to make a cheaper version that only made $1 but gave Event cost reduction, kind of like a Quarry for Events.  After all, if there are any problematic combos, you would have to go through the Event deck before you get to it again… except if the problematic Event is part of the actual Kingdom.  So Delve can immediately empty the Silvers.  Gamble + Tunnel can empty and play all the Golds.  Traveling Fair can give infinite Buys, so then a second event can be bought infinite times (Salt the Earth can make infinite VP; Tax can put infinite Debt on every Supply pile).

How about making the Events in the Story deck cheaper by a fixed amount?

How about "you may buy one of the revealed events for $X less than its normal price (but not less than $0)"?

If you do want a discount that applies more widely you could always preface the reveal section with something like "the next time you buy an Event this turn, it costs $X less (but not less than $0)", but the result might be a bit wordy.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2022, 05:59:11 pm »

To specify what you mean by terminal action on the card, you could try “you may play an Action card from your hand without +Actions in its text.” I would also recommend a clause to prevent throne variants and/or playing multiple of these in one turn, like outpost has.

I figured terminal would be in the rulebook, as it would be too wordy for a card.

Also, I want to preserve the multiple plays concept, especially since you don’t get the benifit until the next turn, so the first is 1 action, then the second is likely 2/3, etc, but perhaps 10 is a bit much for 2 players.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.