Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 44: I Can See The Future!  (Read 1955 times)

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +485
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 44: I Can See The Future!
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:37:03 pm »
+5

Challenge: Design a card that pairs with a Premonition.

An extension/adaptation of Choruzon's Disasters and The_Failord's Prophecies, Premonitions hit all players after each player has taken seven turns. I'd pair my examples with cards, but I'm lazy I don't want to take any design space away from you all. Your challenge is to design a card and pair it with a Premonition (either designed by yourself or taken from one of the three existing sources). Doesn't need a special type like Psychic or Medium or something because Heirlooms don't have that so why complicate things.

Convenient link to the main card creation tool so you can make your own. When making your card, put the Premonition it's paired with in the Heirloom slot.

Best of luck to all entrants, and I'll see you guys in about a week! (Deadline: October 1, 2022)
they/them

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 44: I Can See The Future!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:18:22 pm »
+2

Do premonitions only happen once after the first 7 turns?
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 01:01:21 am »
+4

I like this concept and think they could stand on their own (as WELPs during setup) rather than being paired with a card. Basically Edicts that allow the "setup" turns to happen as usual.

But I had a go at a card pairing as per the competition.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 01:02:45 am by NoMoreFun »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 11:46:02 am »

Maybe i'm missing something. Is there a separate marker board to track turns? Otherwise i'm not sure when i'd know how many turns had occurred.

I'd assume so. For the purposes of the contest, probably.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 12:03:59 pm »
+1

Insane Witch - $5* - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
Each other player may reveal a Mirage card from their hand. If they don't, they gain a Curse.
-
If there are no Mirage cards in the Supply, this costs $6.

Premonition: Fata Morgana

I added the stipulation that the Mirage card had to be $2 or $3 so that players would have the chance to get it before it ran out.

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 09:57:22 pm »
+1

Do premonitions only happen once after the first 7 turns?

Yep. Once and then never again.

I like this concept and think they could stand on their own (as WELPs during setup) rather than being paired with a card. Basically Edicts that allow the "setup" turns to happen as usual.

They likely could, and my initial design for them would, but I think it'd be more interesting to design a card paired with a Premonition rather than a Premonition on its own for this contest.

Maybe i'm missing something. Is there a separate marker board to track turns? Otherwise i'm not sure when i'd know how many turns had occurred.

Yep. Only the first seven though. After that, there's not really a point to track them further.
they/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +482
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 09:21:51 am »
+2

Maybe these cards are nuts but:

Economic boom: 4$, action liason

+2 Villagers
+2 Coffers
+2 Favors
if Recession has been triggered, Discard two cards, and each other player gains +1 VP token

Premonition: Reccesion

Reccesion: At the end of each player's seventh turn, All players remove their Coffers, Villagers, and Favors.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 09:24:14 pm »

+1 action
+(2r)
Take a law

Action - Hero - Leader

(4)

(2r) is 2 strength, from D:Hero’s by X-tra. Laws are from D:New World, also by X-tra.

Until the end of your 7th turn, your manual can only hold 3 monsters. Then it may hold 5.

I am not partial to X-tra, but thought a hero fit, and making it a leader seemed more interesting that cantrip, +buy, or any other mechanic fan or not I could think of.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 10:28:40 pm »

+1 action
+(2r)
Take a law

Action - Hero - Leader

(4)

(2r) is 2 strength, from D:Hero’s by X-tra. Laws are from D:New World, also by X-tra.

Until the end of your 7th turn, your manual can only hold 3 monsters. Then it may hold 5.

I am not partial to X-tra, but thought a hero fit, and making it a leader seemed more interesting that cantrip, +buy, or any other mechanic fan or not I could think of.

Heroes:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21381.0

New World:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21002.0

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 11:36:39 am »
+5

A sort of limited remodel that briefly gets a chance to shine.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 02:46:15 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Floating City • $10 • Action - Victory
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it from the trash, then +3 Cards, +2 Actions.

Worth 1VP per Floating City you have (including this).

Crashdown • $4 • Premonition
After each player has taken seven turns, put all of the Floating Cities in the Supply and the top card from each other Action Supply pile into the Trash.

My submission is Floating City (with the Premonition Crashdown). Floating City is a very expensive, very powerful Action - Victory card that has a strong remodel (increasing the cost by up to $4), but one that only gains from the trashing, meaning (at least early in games) you may find yourself gaining the card you trashed right back (making it, in effect, a discard), followed by a net-Lost City on play, and has a scaling VP value that, if you have 8 of them (or even 7) makes each one worth more than a Province.

However, after 7 turns a disaster occurs and the Floating Cities come crashing down from the sky unless they have been secured. If a player heeds the prophecy (and can afford to do so), rescuing one City gives a chance of reviving others, which can put a player at a major advantage.

I designed this before I saw Udzu's submission, but hadn't had a chance to mock mine up. I think it's different enough to justify submitting mine as well. Earthquake helps Fence's gain-from-trash, while Crashdown is more about changing how Floating Cities are available (although it does also provide some gain-from-trash fodder).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +482
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 12:52:09 pm »

Insane Witch - $5* - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
Each other player may reveal a Mirage card from their hand. If they don't, they gain a Curse.
-
If there are no Mirage cards in the Supply, this costs $6.

Premonition: Fata Morgana

I added the stipulation that the Mirage card had to be $2 or $3 so that players would have the chance to get it before it ran out.

This feels a bit much like Young witch, just strictly better. The alternate cost for it feels kinda odd and inconsequential in my opinioN: 1 more or less cost doesnt matter much at turn seven, because your not getting a witch that late usually.

Various ideas for how to change it while keeping the Mirage:

Add a cost for each empty supply pile, similar to poacher: maybe discard a card, or letting oponents exile cards,

Another one off the top of my head is to do something similar to charlaan: Curses become able to be played as the set aside pile UNTILL it is removed by the premonition: This way the +3 Cards can be kept, as early on you are giving your opponents action cards: but then it just become better then witch when the curses cant be played like that anymore!
A reverse old witch, in a way
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 03:57:18 pm »
+5

Might be batshit insane, idk.
Bottom text

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 04:20:36 pm »
+3

Might be batshit insane, idk.

This would mean that, in a 3 player game, if Player 2 played a Crow, Player 1 would gain a Curse and Player 3 wouldn't. Was that your intention? This also triggers earlier than the examples (which all only trigger after each player has taken 7 turns). If you wanted to change those things, you could go with something like:

After each player has taken seven turns, players are affected by Attack cards played by other players. Until then, they are not.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2022, 06:46:16 pm »

This would mean that, in a 3 player game, if Player 2 played a Crow, Player 1 would gain a Curse and Player 3 wouldn't. Was that your intention? This also triggers earlier than the examples (which all only trigger after each player has taken 7 turns). If you wanted to change those things, you could go with something like:

After each player has taken seven turns, players are affected by Attack cards played by other players. Until then, they are not.

That looks like a very good approach as well, though I'll say I'm not 100% against the reduced FPA aspect of the current version of Swarm.
Bottom text

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2022, 09:58:18 pm »

- 24 Hour Warning -

Get those cards in!
they/them

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2022, 09:10:38 pm »
+1

-=Contest Closed=-

I'll get to judging these... probably Monday, I'm busy tomorrow.
they/them

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 07:35:50 pm »
+1

Let's see what you all came up with!

NoMoreFun: Wealth Hoarders/Incoming Raid
Comparison obviously goes to Treasure Trove for the treasure dump onto your deck, and I think the constant Corsair attack pairs well with this. Either you're going all in on this for your strat or you're going treasureless to avoid the Raid. Solid card, seems a bit like too much of an automatic opener though especially if you've got something like Spice Merchant on the board but that probably wouldn't play out on real boards.
MrHiTech: Insane Witch/Fata Morgana
Fixed Young Witch, I don't know how else to put it. Cost increase probably isn't going to matter much but that's not why you're buying it anyway. Feels about equal to Old Witch in terms of power level and I think that's a good spot to be for a Witch variant.
fika monster: Economic Boom/Recession
Spike of resources, boom it all collapses, and then you've gotta build them up again. Good theming and promotes draw-to-X which is always a nice quality to have in a card. Not my favorite because it feels like you're just piling on resources onto this for the sake of it but it works well so that's minor. Opponents getting a VP chip feels a bit unnecessary though.
IlStrawberrySeed: [unnamed card]/[unnamed premonition]
Good vanilla-ish merging of the two expansions this comes from. Don't know much about how this would work in practice with Laws and Monsters and stuff so I'm just gonna leave it at that.
Uzdu: Fence/Earthquake
For a card similar to Altar, $3 feels a bit cheap. Sure, there's a narrow window where you actually get to get $5s and higher with this, but you do get to get $5s and higher with this. Probably needs a price adjustment to about $4, but other than that no complaints.
emtzalex: Floating City/Crashdown
You'd think this would feel similar to Fence but it doesn't really. Both have the trash to gain from trash aspect but this feels like Tournament where you're building your deck around trying to get these, but unlike Tournament you're not just winning the game when you get a Province (or in this case Floating City) early. Some boards this might not have an impact, but the ones it does it goes hard. You'd expect it to just be a won game if your opponent gets one and you don't, but they have to get like seven Golds in their deck and then trash them with this to pile out the Floating Cities and by then you'll probably be able to snag enough Provinces and stuff to win anyways. Overall, solid card, game warping but in a way that seems more fun than Page/Peasant do.
X-tra: Crow/Swarm
Peddler Curser. Seems nuts (well, is nuts) so everyone gets a perma-Moat for seven turns, but I don't think that's enough. Antisynergizes against itself because cantrips really don't like Curses (as opposed to stuff like Sea Witch which self-counters) so it's probably more balanced than I think it is, but man does this feel insane. Premonition's implemented well though, always sucks to lose a $5 opening to a Militia or something.

Honorable Mentions: Fence, Insane Witch

Runner-Up: Wealth Hoarders/Incoming Raid

Winner: Floating City/Crashdown

Thank you to all who participated!
they/them

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 10:09:14 am »
+1

emtzalex: Floating City/Crashdown
You'd think this would feel similar to Fence but it doesn't really. Both have the trash to gain from trash aspect but this feels like Tournament where you're building your deck around trying to get these, but unlike Tournament you're not just winning the game when you get a Province (or in this case Floating City) early. Some boards this might not have an impact, but the ones it does it goes hard. You'd expect it to just be a won game if your opponent gets one and you don't, but they have to get like seven Golds in their deck and then trash them with this to pile out the Floating Cities and by then you'll probably be able to snag enough Provinces and stuff to win anyways. Overall, solid card, game warping but in a way that seems more fun than Page/Peasant do.

Winner: Floating City/Crashdown

Thanks, Augie, for the judging/win. I will try to get the next contest posted today.
he/him/his

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.