Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Fan errata on pre-existing cards

(1/5) > >>

grrgrrgrr:
In this thread, I wanna share my ideas for errata hat could've been part of the 2022 errata. You may consider me obsessed, and maybe I am, but hey, why not share it nonetheless.

1. Throning Durations

My only idea that doesn't involve a specific card. The rule change is as follows.

--- Quote from: My Rule Changes --- Replay tokens are introduced. Every time you play a card an extra time, put a Replay token onto the card. Throne Room (and all non-Duration variants) will always leave play at start of Clean-up.

--- End quote ---

From a balance standpoint, this change might be a little concerning, as KC+Caravan becomes much stronger, whereas the already strong KC+Wharf becomes borderline insufferable. Not to mention Throning Hireling or Prince becomes insanely good. But this change would eliminate pretty much all ongoing tracking issues that Throning currently has. It solves the Citadel issue. It solves Procession + Throne Room issue. It solves the Captain-throning a Duration issue. And so on. Plus it just creates much simplicity. I mean, isn't TR+TR+Duration still one of the most common rule questions?

On top of that, Replay tokens are purely secretary and it is completely up to the player how these are used. For instance, if you throne a Barge and only choose the next-turn effect once, you could forgo the replay token, making it look as if you only played Barge once.

2. Treasure Map

The card that is infamous for not having built-in accountability. Of course, this matters little in practice as you don't cheat period, and there is very little gained out of cheating on this, but it just feels strange that Donald X went for the extra mile with Throne Room and Moneylender, but not this one.

3. Messenger

The errata this got in 2022 makes this card rather clunky, as the effect doesn't work with Treasure gaining. And I also don't see why this shouldn't work with Workshops. If making this not work multiple times in a turn is the goal of the restriction, why not go for this route?

4. Black Market

What kinda bothers me about Black Market, is that the cards you gain out of Black Market don't have a pile. This makes the cards incompatible with Swap and Way of the Butterfly, and very strong with Way of the Horse. However, doesn't it make sense to have the Black Market deck itself as "its pile"? Here is an attempt to change that. After all, cards like Experiment and Encampment didn't get their rewording for nothing.

5. Masquerade

Masquerade, the Attack that isn't an Attack. It made sense in the original version, as there would be much unclarity on how it would work when Moat blocks it. However, after the 2016 errata, its text is one word away from having this case fully covered.

6. Circle of Witches

The original version was a little overfocussed on making Liaisons conditional Cursers, making the Ally incredibly clunky with Guildmaster. This version is wordier, as it also needed to take care of Import, but its interaction with cards that let you gain Favors over the course of the turn is much better (of course, forcing Actions to be in play can be annoying with the Treasure-Liaisons, but that condition is rather easy to meet).

7. Island Folk

Island Folk is easily the strongest Ally. What makes it so utterly ridiculous is the fact that you only need to gain 5 Favors over the course of 2 turns in order to activate it every time. With this change, you will have to gain the 5 favors in a singular turn for consistent activation. Of course, if the Island turn is exceptional, this can be frustrating, but c'est la vie.

8. Way of the Turtle

There are 3 Ways that pack the yet-to-be-solved problem of being able to create an invisible Duration effect in conjunction with Throne Room. With Way of the Turtle, this is rather easy to solve by making the effect trigger on discard (which won't happen with TR+Duration). For Horse and Butterfly, this could be solved by using the Acts mechanic (see http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20806.0)

9. Possession

The change I made is making cards not leave the deck when they are supposed to return to their pile.

It could be argued that Possession needs more errata. It could also be argued that the only way of fixing Possession is treating it like a Zelda CDi game (pretending it doesn't exist). But I think the ability to demolish an entire deck with Way of the Horse is still something that needs to be taking care of. With this change, Possession and Way of the Horse still interact very strongly, but no longer brokenly strong like it currently does.

10. Inheritance

"Inheritance no longer works this way! Get over it!"

The 2019 errata already brought some unwanted concessions, such as making the card desinteract with Reserves and Reactions, as well as becoming pretty insane with one-shots, especially Encampment. But Donald X has made some good efforts in regulating when a card can be played and when a card can leave play, making the issue of caring about the owner even less of an issue (although Throning inherited one-shots can now be even more confusing with the removal of the Loose Track rule). On the flipside, the post-errata effect now also makes the card work improperly with Recursion Durations. Inheriting types was also a huge plus of the old version.

This is ONLY about Inheritance. BoM and Overlord should absolutely NOT revert to their pre-errata versions.

What do you guys think?

muenstercheese:
1. Replay tokens are a great idea, but what about cards that leave play, like wotHorse/wotButterfly Durations?

2. Pretty obvious and simple fix. Nice.

3. I like Messenger working on-gain. It's much nicer and the wording is simpler as a bonus.

4. Black Market "deck" -> "pile". Beautiful fix for self-returning cards, love it.

5. Nice use of the keyword, but I love Masq as the only non-Attack "attack". Cmon mate.

6, 7. I have't played with Allies enough to know how these change stuff well.

8. Nice anti-invisibility measure. I personally like invisible effects (rip Procession) but it's good to patch 'em up.

9. The fix for Possession is to pretend it never existed. Possession is in fact the only card that has gotten updated to explicitly reference a mechanic from an later expansion. An alternative card should be added instead—some sort of Command-from-hand card maybe?

10. I don't like basing it off of ownership. I would say "during your turns, all Estates..." instead. With the new Donate errata, there is no more between-turns stuff happening either that might mess with that.

Udzu:
BM, Masquerade and Turtle all look good to me!

Treasure Map: making it fully optional does mean you can now safely eg Piazza it. One alternative would be “Trash this. You may trash a TM from your hand.”

Messenger: allowing it to be Workshopped might help rushes?

Commodore Chuckles:
My ideal fix for throning Durations would be to completely overhaul the way Durations work by having them always leave play the turn you play them and then giving you tokens to track any lingering effects. Of course this would completely unbalance everything, but it would also get rid of any and all tracking issues forever, and greatly simplify the rules.

A much more modest fix for Procession-Duration would be to have it trash the card when you discard it from play. This would destroy the neat ways to regain the card on the same turn, though.

IlstrawberrySeed:
Possession still has problems with exile, villagers/coffers, self debt, and VP tokens.

At the end of your turn, the player to your left takes an extra turn, during which you see what they see and make their choices for them, and any tokens they have are replaced by your token pools. Any cards that would be trashed, exiled, or returned to the supply are set aside and discarded at the end of turn. Cards exiled from the supply are instead returned at the end of turn. Any cards discarded from exile are exiled at the end of turn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version