Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #163: Cleaning The Banlist  (Read 5235 times)

binbag420

• Swindler
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #163: Cleaning The Banlist
« on: September 10, 2022, 07:31:16 pm »
+9

Weekly Design Contest #163: Cleaning The Banlist

Design a card to replace your least favourite card (or a disliked card).

It should keep at least some aspect or idea from it the same, like Explorer being replaced by Pirate. It doesnt need to be a widely hated card, just one you personally dont like for whatever reason and think you can improve the concept of.

Keep the mechanics to the set you're replacing the card from. For example you cant replace an intrigue card with one that gives horses. And please tell me the card youre replacing with your submission.

Im mainly judging cards on how much I think I'd enjoy it, and how well it replaces the terrible one. I dont mind complicated submissions but im more excited by simple but effective ideas.

Judging ends about a week from now (midnight 18th September BST).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 07:38:49 pm by binbag420 »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #163: Cleaning The Banlist
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:37:29 pm »
+5

Voodoo Doll, replacing Possession
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 08:35:11 pm by MrHiTech »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 10:11:14 pm »
+6

Replacing Envoy. It's a promo so it's not likely to get replaced but replacing it anyways.
they/them

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 05:43:45 am »
+3

Upcycle
Action
$5

+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it, that it shares a type with.
Discard 2 cards.

Notes
- Replacement for Rebuild
- My objective to to stop the card having a monolithic strategy. To do this the card is now terminal and now trashes from your hand instead of digging through your deck. It now behaves more like the more traditional remodel family members.
- To keep the spirit of Rebuild, the price gap is still $3 so you can still turn Estates into Duchies and Duchies into Provinces, etc.
- To give something back to the card and to open up the scope of its use, it no longer just trashes and gains Victory cards. That restriction is now that the trashed and gained cards must share a type.

** Following feedback I have added some sifting ability which also fits with Rebuild.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 05:06:54 pm by xyz123 »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 07:20:37 am »
+4

Fanatic
Action - $2
Choose one: +1 Card, or trash a card from your hand for +1 Card per $1 it costs.
_____
When you trash this, you may play it

A replacement for Cultist.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 08:18:13 am »

Marionette
cost $6P - Action - Duration
If the previous turn wasn't yours, take another, at whose start your left player puts their deck in their discard pile and reveal all cards there, and you may play one of the revealed Action card, leaving there.

A new Possession harms little to your left player.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 12:28:15 pm »
+6

Upcycle
Action
$5

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it, that it shares a type with it.

Notes
- My objective to to stop the card having a monolithic strategy. To do this the card is now terminal and now trashes from your hand instead of digging through your deck. It now behaves more like the more traditional remodel family members.
- To keep the spirit of Rebuild, the price gap is still $3 so you can still turn Estates into Duchies and Duchies into Provinces, etc.
- To give something back to the card and to open up the scope of its use, it no longer just trashes and gains Victory cards. That restriction is now that the trashed and gained cards must share a type.

From the Allies Secret History: I also had an Expand that required the gained card to share a type with the trashed card. It only cost $4 and still wasn't exciting most games.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 12:51:56 pm »

Marionette
cost $6P - Action - Duration
If the previous turn wasn't yours, take another, at whose start your left player puts their deck in their discard pile and reveal all cards there, and you may play one of the revealed Action card, leaving there.

A new Possession harms little to your left player.
Needs Outpost's "If this is the first time you've played a Marionette this turn" clause.
they/them

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 01:37:50 pm »
+3

A card to replace Harvest. Cornucopia is my favorite expansion, but wow Harvest was a dud.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 03:42:30 pm »
+4

Pirate Map - $4
Action
+$2
+1 Buy
You may trash a Pirate Map from your hand, to gain 2 Golds onto your deck.

Replacement for Treasure Map. It's not so much I hate Treasure Map itself, more I hate how many times I have naively gone Treasure Map. This version is at least a Woodcutter. To make up for it, the payload for matching two of them is only 2 Gold onto your deck. Was thinking of having it still trash both, but was not sure that was necessary. Feedback is appreciated.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 06:28:18 pm »
+2

Replacing Minion

Minion's an attack, and I'm not partial to attacks. It was simply the easiest to remove the Attack portion from.
I like going all-in on minion, but I hate when the other player does it. This makes it so we can simply compete for Henchmen without hurting each other.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 08:00:12 pm »

Upcycle
Action
$5

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it, that it shares a type with it.

Notes

From the Allies Secret History: I also had an Expand that required the gained card to share a type with the trashed card. It only cost $4 and still wasn't exciting most games.

Top decking the gained card would help incentivise using the card for applications other than Rebuild. Agree that it's probably a $4 not a $5, and you might be able to do "up to $4 more".

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 11:49:24 pm »
+5

Circus is an Intrigue card to replace Harem. It can gain Silver and scales in VP depending on the amount of Treasures (other than Copper) you have.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 11:51:24 pm »
+1

This is my first post here so ...

My idea would be to replace Necropolis with
Tent: +1 Action, +1 Buy
an Action & Shelter

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 07:17:42 am »
+1

Rest • Event • $0
if you have no cards in play, you may discard an Action or Curse card to gain a Gold.

replaces Quest. more Baths-like flavor on this one.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 11:29:39 am »
+3

The hope is to replace Tournament and get rid of some of the ridiculous RNG associated with it.  You now get the $1 every time, so other players revealing a province isn't as impactful.  The Duchy gaining is also no longer onto your deck.  The drawback is that you can only gain one Prize using Tournament now. 

No more will your opponent luck into Trusty Steed (in a kingdom with no other villages of course) and Followers (in a kingdom with no other cursers and no trashers of course) and princess (in a kingdom with no other +buy of course) before you even get to one prize.  Yaaaaaay bag of gold and diadem.......and on top of that lovely situation, your tornaments you frantically bought to try to keep those Prizes away from your opponents? They are now duds.  Have fun.

Phew that was a fun rant.  Anyway me no like tournament but Prizes are still a fun idea so hopefully this helps.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 12:35:24 pm »
+2

I mean you still would want first dibs on the prize pile, and your own provinces still nerf the opponents Tournaments or Jousts, so I don't think it "has no tournament flavor".  Those prizes can be big game changers, and I think getting there first is still enough incentive, personally.  I just think the massive, swingy race of OG tournament isn't really appropriate for dominion, and as such this is certainly meant to tone down the race, but I felt that it kept enough of the original theme.

I will certainly think about once per turn though.  It's a good suggestion.

Edit: this looks silly now that the comment I was replying to got removed.  They were waying that this retained none of tournament's original flavor.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:34:52 am by Chappy7 »

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 01:12:24 pm »
+1

I think you can simplify this a bit by making it a Command type: "Play a non-Command Action card from their hand, leaving it there. If you didn’t, …".

This also has the advantage of preventing it from playing another Voodoo Doll, which is probably for the best!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 04:43:47 pm by Udzu »

joefarebrother

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: joefarebrother
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 01:16:17 pm »

Probably ought to not be able to play durations, since you'll need to track their effects after having removed them from play

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 03:22:59 pm »

Probably ought to not be able to play durations, since you'll need to track their effects after having removed them from play

If Voodoo Doll is made a Command type then it's fine to let it play durations, as it itself will stay out (like Band of Misfits and Overlord).

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 03:42:01 pm »
+2

I hate Adventurer with an irrational passion. Not sure if this fixes it for me though.

Update: tweaked slightly from this.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:38:12 am by Udzu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 06:08:18 pm »
+11

My Submission:

Bal Masqué • $4 • Action - Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand. If you did, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals they can't).

I really dislike Masquerade, so my submission is Bal Masqué. It has Masquerade's terminal +2 Cards and optional trashing. It also has the potential to mess with other players' hands. But it doesn't take cards out of a players' deck, a mechanic I really dislike.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 06:32:30 pm »
+2

Reconstruct
Action - $5
Trash a card from your hand. If it is a Curse, Ruins, Shelter, or Victory card, gain a card costing up to $3 more than it. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

Replaces Rebuild, of course! Reconstruct is weaker in Dark Ages than it would be in another set because of Shelters.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 07:21:58 pm »
+1

I hesitated to post this, partly because the OP never said whether the contest includes events, and partly because it's so similar to the original. I think it's better and different enough from the original, but let me know if this doesn't work for the contest.
(replaces Annex.)

Duk
- Event
During clean-up this turn, after discarding and before drawing your next hand:  Look through your discard pile. Shuffle all but up to 5 cards from it into your deck. Gain a Duchy.

(PS: Does anyone recognize where the name is from?)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:23:19 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 08:45:32 pm »

Battlements
____
+1 card
+1 action
If you didn’t ignore the effects of any attack, you may have each player with 4 or more cards in hand puts one onto their deck or discards 2 cards. Otherwise, +1 action
____
When you end your turn, you may reveal this from your hand until your next turn. If you do, you may ignore the effects of any attack card played while revealed.
____
Action - Attack - Reaction
____
(6)

Replaces moat. I personally don’t like that it can be revealed so attackers don’t know if it is going to hit any or which players, nor that such a cheap card can be used (in a small deck or with setup cards) to invalidate several cards at once.

I chose to up the price, but in order for a village to be worth that much, it needs an attack in order to trigger itself. I tried to word it such that if no one played an attack or if you took the hit of 1 attack you can choose to attack.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 08:47:46 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.