Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 43: Piety  (Read 1647 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Fan Card Mechanics Week 43: Piety
« on: September 07, 2022, 10:53:59 am »
+8

Contest:
So, I suppose this is that time where I do self-promotion about a gameplay mechanic I've toyed with before in New World. We're going full pious this week! Design a card that gives +Piety.

How Piety works:
  • Some cards say +Piety. Like, +1 Piety, or +2 Pieties, etc… Like Villagers and Coffers, these Pieties are tokens. They go on your Piety mat. So each player will take a Piety mat of their color in games with cards with +Piety instructions.
  • When you get +1 Piety, you may either put it to the left area (area 1) on your mat, or move a Piety token ALREADY on your mat from one area to the next. So if you get, say +2 Pieties, then you could put a Piety token on the area 1 of your mat, to then slide it right onto area 2. Hurray!
  • At the start of your turn, you may spend any number of Piety tokens to trash cards from your hand. They’re like Ratcatcher tokens, in sum. But! Piety tokens spent from higher areas on your mat give you stronger bonuses! You get all bonuses from areas below it, from left to right.
  • All in all, instructions are written on the mat if you forget. The mat is shown just below. And look, there’s even a spot for you to put tokens!

Click here to make to have a zoomed-in view of the Piety mat just above.

Existing examples:
Here are all the Piety cards that I've made thus far:
Bottom text

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 43: Piety
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 01:52:11 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Sacred Mask • $2 • Treasure - Duration
$1
+1 Piety
During your next turn, when you spend a Piety token from area 3, +1 Piety.

My submission is Sacred Mask, an alt-Copper that gives +1 Piety when it's played. On the following turn, if a player uses a Piety from area 3 (e.g. the highest level), SM refunds one of the 3 Pieties it took to get the token there. The Duration effect means players will be able to play SM (and get a Piety) less often (I think a pure $2 Copper + Piety would be too strong). This actually might be an advantage later in the game when a player doesn't need Pieties as much, and sees an alt-Copper less (although they could always spend their Pieties to trash/remodel their SMs). I also wanted a $2 card so that players could remodel their Coppers/Curses into them.

There's a self-synergy with SM where, if you can play 3 copies in one turn, you can put a token in area 3 and remodel-for-VP as many cards as are available to you (generally your starting hand). While this is really strong (especially with Rats), doing it is not easy (since the Duration ability means you have to have 3 copies you didn't play the prior turn) and the power level isn't obviously much stronger than the +$9 you get from playing 3 Fool's Golds.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 07:33:19 pm »
+1

Supplicant - $4
Action - Reaction
+1 Piety
If it isn't your Buy phase, +1 Card.
----
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand, to exchange the card for a card costing up to $2 more than it.

Similar to Trader with its reaction, but can only be triggered once due to it playing itself. This does allow you to play it for free on your turn making it a quasi treasure. If you play it on another players' turn you get a bonus +2 Cards. Because it blocks the junk gain through exchanging the junk, this acts similar to a moat where junking attacks should remain potent later into the game. Not sure if priced correctly. Feedback appreciated.

Edit: Changed to draw 1 card if it is not your buy phase. Should better benefit gainers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:18:54 am by Xen3k »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +485
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 11:40:44 pm »
+3

We need more Woodcutter Treasures.
they/them

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 11:56:36 pm »
+1

We need more Woodcutter Treasures.

Would Piety cost a buy in this case? Would it be 1 buy per Piety or 1 buy and then you can buy as much as you want?

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 10:09:54 am »
+2

Indulgences • $2+ • Treasure
$1
-
Overpay: +1 Piety per $1 you overpaid

I hope this isn't too similar to Masterpiece. I couldn't think of another top that would fit with the flavor at $2, and I didn't want to increase the price because I like how this would affect openings.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +485
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 12:46:08 pm »

Would Piety cost a buy in this case? Would it be 1 buy per Piety or 1 buy and then you can buy as much as you want?
It'd be one Buy per Piety, sorry for forgetting.
they/them

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 01:00:18 pm »

So i have been thinking about this mat for a few days now. To start i like it. What i might change would be the abilities for each section. I would propose that the abilities are on horizontal cards (or the Split pile randomizer) so that the mat becomes more flexible and useful.

I'm not sure if putting the horizontal card on your mat and needing multiples of the horizontal cards is a good idea. Maybe just the horizontal card to  show the abilities and your personal mat to note token state and count.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:57:24 pm by BryGuy »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +482
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 05:48:07 pm »
+1

v2. slightly buffed, wanted it to be an actual village. Debating whether it should it an immideat village with possible draw neutrality, or possible village

If you use Piety at the start of your turn, you get a village effect. Otherwise you still get to use piety whenever you want in the future, which is pretty swell. Hideout is another Trashing village, and that has the immediate trashing while this is more delayed and not always a village.

Old versions: One thing i didn't understand from the piety rules: Can you use the piety that is generated from this immediately? if so, that wasnt my intent. Maybe this is far too basic, but here is a card similar to trail or Fortress.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:54:45 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 08:33:20 pm »

One thing i didn't understand from the piety rules: Can you use the piety that is generated from this immediately? if so, that wasnt my intent.

You can use Piety obtained during your start-of-turn sequence. For instance, take Inuksuk from the OP. If you remodel it with a level 2 Piety at the start of your turn, you'll also get +1 Piety from trashing that Inuksuk, which you may then use immediately. Similarly, for your card, trashing, say, an Estate with Piety at the start of your turn whilst holding a Devout Village in hand, you could react with that Devout Village, obtaining a Piety that you may then use immediately.
Bottom text

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 01:45:01 pm »

It'd be one Buy per Piety, sorry for forgetting.

This could actually be implemented using my Supplier mechanic from Week 12 of the contest. The mechanic allows a player to Buy a certain purchase provided by the Supplier card as if it were an Event, which is available as long as the Supplier card remains in play.

Mocked up in the card image generator, it would look like this.

The only difference in how the cards would play is that if the Supplier version of Tithe were trashed from play (e.g. using Counterfeit), then a player wouldn't be able to buy Pieties.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 01:47:13 pm »
+2

Contest:
So, I suppose this is that time where I do self-promotion about a gameplay mechanic I've toyed with before in New World. We're going full pious this week! Design a card that gives +Piety.

X-tra:

You didn't set a deadline on this, but it's coming up on two weeks since the OP. Do you want to maybe give a 24- or 48-hour warning pretty soon?
he/him/his

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 04:09:59 pm »
+4

Yes, let us consider this as the 24 hours limit. Quite honestly I was willing to give more time for more entries, but I don't think any more are coming anyway. It's still really surprising how much less popular these fan contests are compared to the WDC. Ah well!
Bottom text

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 01:31:05 pm »
+3

Ok, let's close the contest here! I'm going to judge them cards tomorrow. :P
Bottom text

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 03:22:34 pm »

NOOOOOO My last minute edit was within the time limit though pleaseeeeeeeeee???

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 08:40:31 pm »
+1

Yep, all good! In true X-tra fashion, I haven't even starting judging yet. I'll get onto that tomorrow. :P
Bottom text

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 11:32:35 pm »

Ayyyyyy thanks!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 02:00:33 pm »
+4

CONTEST 43 RESULTS

Okay well after making you guys wait for 2 weeks and a half, let’s uh, finally move on with the results. We only have 5 entries, so I’ll simply pick a winner among them instead of categorising them into finalists and semi-finalists subcategories. Weirdly enough, we only got yellow and blue cards, lol. Let’s see now:

$2 Sacred Mask (Treasure – Duration)
$1
+1 Piety
During your next turn, when you spend a Piety token from area 3, +1 Piety.
This seems like a cute way to make you want to hoard your Piety to upgrade them to their highest level. From the many games I have played with this mechanism, spending level 3 Pieties is actually a pretty efficient way of scoring. Sacred Mask is a cheap efficient tool to take advantage of that. Until then, it’ll help you quickly thin your deck, something you can hardly say no to. I think Sacred Mask might be a smidge too strong for its cost, as it has a very low opportunity cost and you will never be unhappy to add a couple of these to your deck. But I don’t see that as a major and even a mild strike against this card. Cool idea!

$4 Supplicant (Action – Reaction)
+1 Piety
If it isn’t your Buy phase, +1 Card.
-----
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand, to exchange the card for a card costing up to $2 more than it.
+1 Card without +1 Action is a little awkward I will admit. So the top part is certainly uh, a little weird to me. The Remodel Reaction is pretty cute. It synergises pretty well with area 2 and 3 Pieties (Spending an area 2 Piety to trash a Supplicant for a Gold, Reaction with a Supplicant to exchange to Gold for a Province). I’m pretty sure that Reaction is a little bonkers with most if not all gainers, but I’d have to play with it to truly be sure.

$5 Tithe (Treasure)
$2
+1 Buy
During your Buy phase this turn, you may buy Piety for $2 each.
That certainly is a novel way to approach Piety, or any token on mats, for that matter! I think it definitely work better than outright buying Coffers or Villagers (although Academy exists, heh). You’ll normally want a bunch of Piety if you want to use them more than simply thinning your deck. Tithe is a good way for you to try to achieve alt-VP scoring via level 3 Piety. I can see myself trying to build a deck revolving around that. Otherwise, a +$2 and +1 Buy Treasure is always a damn decent baseline. I love this!

$4 Devout Village (Action – Reaction)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Piety
-----
When one of your cards is trashed, you may play this from your hand and get an additional +1 Action.
The top part is the Underling of Piety. Which honestly, acts just like playing a Ratcatcher. Except, it’s still in your deck and so you can stack the effects with subsequent plays of Devout Village without having you to “call” your Piety beforehand. As such, it’s already a tad stronger than Ratcatcher (Piety is also more powerful). On top of that, we have a Reaction that synergizes very well with the top part. I love this Reaction. Makes you get a Piety back for your spent Piety at the start of your turn, which you can then in turn use immediately (though your handsize will inevitably start to suffer by this point). All in all, a cutely built card, I like it!

$2+ Indulgences (Treasure)
$1
-----
When you buy this, +1 Piety; Overpay: and +1 Piety per $1 you overpaid.
We end our delve in this Piety journey with another Treasure, Indulgences. The bottom part is a little weirdly segregated and still make use of the old “when you buy this” wording. As such, I don’t know how to build the idea described there. The first iteration of Indulgences certainly was more elegant and easier to read to me, regardless of its power level. Heh, an idea could be to actually make this card cost $1+ if you want something that’s similar to this version. That would be a novel card for sure, the only of its kind with this cost! As for the effect, I do like it. Not unlike Masterpiece, the card itself is pretty sucky (it’s a Copper), but at least, you have Piety to get rid of it! Which means paying $2 for it is when you get your money’s worth. I dig it!

Winner: Tithe

Augie279 wins the contest for fan cards this week (or should I say, this two weeks and half). I pass the next contest onto them. Thanks everyone for participating, I loved every single entry submitted!
Bottom text
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.