Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestion regarding undos  (Read 432 times)

kirkbauer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Suggestion regarding undos
« on: September 01, 2022, 01:01:54 am »

I don't find many people who deny undo requests, but I find it very annoying to play with those who do. If a simple undo is denied, I slow down my play out of necessity, I turn off autobuy and pre-moves, etc. I explain in chat that I'm going to have to play slower and more carefully if you won't allow any undos. And then I block the person after the game is over because that's not how I like to play.

One bad example -- there were two Duchies left and it would be the third pile. I have 10 to spend and I have two buys. I click and autobuy plays half of my money. The opponent won't let me undo it. So I only get one Duchy, and then on their turn, they buy the other one and win. It's annoying because it would never happen if playing the game physically, nor if I turned off autobuy.

But it got me thinking -- why not make the undo situation part of the settings for the match and the automatch? You could set "Undos allowed?" to "No, Auto, or Ask". With "No" you can't even request them. With "Auto" it will automatically approve as long as no new information was revealed. And then "Ask" is how it works now.

Zombie13

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion regarding undos
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 10:19:11 am »

I get the whole 'no new information revealed' thing, and I really try not to ask for undos in general because of this, but it needs to be subjective.  If I have 3 markets and a smithy, I want to play the markets first, then the smithy.  If I misclick and play 1 market and then the smithy even tho I have 2 more markets in my hand, it would be denied.  Intention was to play all 3 markets first, but now I'm stuck.

I know its a small case, and its my fault and I should play more deliberately/slowly, it would just suck to have that auto-denied without explanation.

Just my. $.02...

kirkbauer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion regarding undos
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 12:41:02 pm »
+1

That's why I'm thinking to make it a table setting and automatch setting. You can select which types of undo rules you are OK with, and then be matched to other players who are OK with the same rules. So, like today, in Automatch, you can select Rated, Unrated, both, or neither. Same thing with "Extra 2nd Edition" and "Player count".

To refine my suggestion, something like this:

Automatch
Rated games                 (Rated) (Unrated)
Extra 2nd Edition           (Yes) (No)
Player Count                 (2P) (3P)
Undo's Allowed?            (Ask) (Auto) (None)

An "Ask" game works just like today. A "None" game will not allow undos to be requested (but remember you'd both have to allow that as an option to be matched up). And "Auto" would auto-approve when no new information has been revealed, and ask in other circumstances.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.