Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let`s discuss nocturne mechanics - Doom  (Read 1044 times)

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Let`s discuss nocturne mechanics - Doom
« on: August 31, 2022, 08:29:03 am »
+2

Not a individual card, i know, but i think it still fits.
We all know how the hexes are generally unpredictable and can be either game defining or sometimes even helpful to the opponent.

-Would a straight +2$, each other player recieves the next hex be better or worse than militia? Assuming tormentor doesnt exist of course.
- Is the self- hex of leprechaun or cursed village more unpleasent?
- If you could remove or modify one single hex, what would it be?
- Are they too complicated because of the states?

Sorry if that post isnt a high quality one, its my first one.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: Let`s discuss nocturne mechanics - Doom
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 12:02:06 pm »

Hexes combine three things that people tend to dislike: attacks, overt chance, and unnecessary complexity.  I think DXV has said he wouldn't include them at all if he did Nocturne today.  But I don't mind any of those things.  I like hexes.

-Would a straight +2$, each other player recieves the next hex be better or worse than militia? Assuming tormentor doesnt exist of course.

Militia is generically stronger IMO.  But hexes stack better, and attack from multiple directions.  Some decks are hardly hurt by militia at all, but chances are there's a hex that will really hurt.

Leprechaun, easily.  The strongest use case for Leprechaun is to gain wishes, and that can lead to cases where you drew it too late in the turn, or had a partial dud.  You can still play Leprechaun to gain a gold, but people tend not to do that, because they want to play around the possibility of getting Poverty midturn.

I don't think Delusion is necessarily the strongest hex, but it's rarely fun when you get it.  If we wanted to preserve the flavor, we could replace it with a contraband effect, or force people to spend additional money to buy actions.  I'm sure there are a lot of other unrelated possibilities too.

I don't like the states much, because they oblige me to get more cards out of the box.  We just don't use the Envy and Delusion state cards, as they're mostly reminders.  I wish Misery just exiled two curses instead.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 12:00:19 pm »
+2

I don't think Delusion is necessarily the strongest hex, but it's rarely fun when you get it.  If we wanted to preserve the flavor, we could replace it with a contraband effect

That's what Delusion originally was! I like the premise a lot but fought hard against it after testing. When you can name Province, you can often just shut down an opponent for a turn and clinch a win. It was really awful.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 01:13:53 pm »
+1

I don't think Delusion is necessarily the strongest hex, but it's rarely fun when you get it.  If we wanted to preserve the flavor, we could replace it with a contraband effect

That's what Delusion originally was! I like the premise a lot but fought hard against it after testing. When you can name Province, you can often just shut down an opponent for a turn and clinch a win. It was really awful.

The actual Delusion often shuts down the opponent for a turn too (besides whatever trashing/attacks they can do).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sumrex

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 03:29:04 pm »
+1

I wonder, when you would want to buy a province you mostly can buy at least 1, more likely 2 duchies. That would just make it either -3 points or -2$, -1buy theoretically. Would that be more game deciding than not being able to build in the early- or midgame, maybe losing the curse split heavily because you could neither buy that with nor that trasher against the curses?

sumrex

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:35:58 pm »

Hexes combine three things that people tend to dislike: attacks, overt chance, and unnecessary complexity.  I think DXV has said he wouldn't include them at all if he did Nocturne today.  But I don't mind any of those things.  I like hexes.

Militia is generically stronger IMO.  But hexes stack better, and attack from multiple directions.  Some decks are hardly hurt by militia at all, but chances are there's a hex that will really hurt.

Leprechaun, easily.  The strongest use case for Leprechaun is to gain wishes, and that can lead to cases where you drew it too late in the turn, or had a partial dud.  You can still play Leprechaun to gain a gold, but people tend not to do that, because they want to play around the possibility of getting Poverty midturn.

I don't think Delusion is necessarily the strongest hex, but it's rarely fun when you get it.  If we wanted to preserve the flavor, we could replace it with a contraband effect, or force people to spend additional money to buy actions.  I'm sure there are a lot of other unrelated possibilities too.

I don't like the states much, because they oblige me to get more cards out of the box.  We just don't use the Envy and Delusion state cards, as they're mostly reminders.  I wish Misery just exiled two curses instead.

Oh the idea of misery exiling 2 curses is very funny, lets just introduce another complex mechanix to nocturne :D but seriously, i think misery is exectued pretty well and the easiest state. I found it hard to explain that with fool there is a state that works unlike all other states. That was my problem.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.