Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #162: You Can Trip at $5  (Read 5209 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Weekly Design Contest #162: You Can Trip at $5
« on: August 30, 2022, 09:38:42 am »
+8

Weekly Design Contest 162:You Can Trip at $5
Design a cantrip card costing or more.

I have always found creating such cards to be hard. And yet, Dominion wants these cards to exist, somehow. We have Cartographer, Groundskeeper, Swap, etc... The task of this challenge is for you to add a new card to that list!

A cantrip is a card that gives you +1 Card and +1 Action. Base yourself upon the "List of Cantrip Cards" listed on this page.

Some extra rules include:
  • Please, do not make a Village, Laboratory or a Peddler variant. That opens up the design space a little too much for my taste and well, we want to have some kind of challenge here! A Village generates +2 Actions. A Laboratory increases your handsize by making you draw 2 or more cards. A Peddler is a cantrip that also yield + (or more).
  • Normally, a cantrip starts with a vanilla +1 Card and +1 Action. That's the purest and easiest form of a cantrip, you should aim to do just that. However, some cantrips can be creative, as is the case with Sorceress. The +1 Card aspect of it is hidden in the non-vanilla text. You can try to do that, but please be careful.
  • Ideally, your card would cost . But you can make a cantrip costing , or , etc...
Judging will attempt to be completed by 2022-09-08. I'm giving myself a week and a buffer of two extra days to account for the inevitable delays I always put you guys through (sorry)!
Bottom text

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #162: You Can Trip at $5
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 02:10:33 pm »
+3

So, this is funny, I just made a couple 5$ cantrips. the problem is that they were both intended to be peddler-variants. I could say they're arguably not, but that was my intention when trying to make them.

So, while I will put both cards I made here, just as a preview, I'm not submitting them for this contest.

In light of the recent confusion in regards to what is and is not a cantrip or a Peddler, I'll be submitting Bookkeeper instead of Craftsman, as I am far more confident in the power of that design.
This is the card I'm submitting for the contest:

Bookkeeper - Action - $5
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may play a Treasure from your hand twice.

Just a very nice card. allows you to gain more +$ than you otherwise would.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 06:54:42 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 02:19:47 pm »
+2

Cantrip Chapel-Vault thing. Costs $6 to avoid getting it on a 5-2 opening.
they/them

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 02:34:15 pm »
+12

Countess is a simple cantrip Duchy gainer. How many Duchies did you want anyway? Priced at $6 to ensure it's not too easy to rush these and Duchies.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 02:55:27 pm »
+1

I think Oasis variants qualify as Peddler variants.
Up to Xtra to decide that. If this ends up getting disqualified, so be it.
they/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 03:46:48 pm »
+5

To be as impartial as possible, I'll let the Wiki determine what is a pure cantrip and what isn't. More specifically, I'm basing myself upon this list:

Still, this list is far from being perfect. For instance, I fail to see how Rats is not a cantrip.

Moreover, while Oasis is considered a Peddler variant, Mill isn't. It's a little confusing. In the light of that confusion, I won't make things more complicated than they already are and gladly accept your entry. :)
Bottom text

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 06:15:33 pm »
+5

Land Claim
Action - $5
+1 Action
You may reveal a hand with no Duchies in it to gain a Duchy to your hand. Either way, afterwards, +1 Card.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 06:54:59 pm by NoMoreFun »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 07:35:52 pm »
+2

Wishmonger - $6
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck; you may discard it. Either way, if it costs…
$1 or less, trash it.
$2 or $3, gain a card costing up to $4.
$4 or more, gain a Wish.

Cantrip gainer/sifter/trasher. I had this priced at $5 with the middle mode triggering on a price range of $2 to $4 instead. I kinda like this version more. Requires more investment, but should get you Wishes a bit more often. Not sure of this is completely balanced. Feedback is appreciated.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 10:06:15 pm »
+4

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 11:02:25 pm »
+3

A decent trasher that can itself be trashed for payload once it's no longer needed.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 09:54:18 am »

Submission:

Name: Minister
Cost: $5
Types: Action, Liaison
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain or lose Favors until you have exactly 5. Each other player gets +2 Favors.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 10:07:36 am »
+3

My entry is in a way both a Peddler and a Village variant, but hopefully different enough to qualify.

Hobo - $5
Action/Night

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may end your Action phase for +$3.
If it's your first Night phase this turn, you may return to your Action phase.

Clarifications:
- you only get +$3 if you successfully end your Action phase, i.e. you were in your Action phase when you started playing the Hobo.
- if you end your Action phase, you will be from then on in your Buy phase. Any Actions that are still resolving will finish doing so (e.g. Throne Rooms).
- you cannot end your Buy phase while resolving a Hobo, so it's impossible to trigger both conditional powers.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 10:14:52 am »
+1

Still, this list is far from being perfect. For instance, I fail to see how Rats is not a cantrip.

Moreover, while Oasis is considered a Peddler variant, Mill isn't.
I think the list excludes mandatory trashing in general; Junk Dealer or Upgrade are also missing.

I think the definition used here is that you (can) have the same number of cards and Actions after playing a cantrip as before. That is also why Oasis does not qualify (you discard a card), but Mill does (you don"t have to discard).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 11:26:13 am »
+5

I hope this is allowed, but I made my card the bottom of a split pile with an official card at the top.

Pearl diver:
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Pearl_Diver

Pearl (new version):

Pearl (old version):

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 03:41:13 pm by MrHiTech »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 03:36:52 pm »

Sure, Gold gaining has decreasing returns and this is in a split pile but I nonetheless think that this is too good.

Honestly, I agree, especially with the gold-stacking. Topdecking a gained card gives you a gold next turn. Bottom-decking it gives you a hand of 3 golds pre-shuffle.

I tried to avoid that with my new version.

The other thing is that a lot of this card's "cost" was the opportunity cost of having bought five Pearl Divers beforehand (possibly split, but still), but the players who didn't buy Pearl Divers could still buy Pearls and get most of the benefit (barring late game, a Gold is a Gold no matter where in your shuffle).

This new one requires you to invest in Pearl Divers if you want more than one Gold per shuffle.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 03:40:38 pm by MrHiTech »

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
+1

Note: This also removes the Ferry and Plan tokens.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 06:35:34 pm »

If you know what Mao is, this is my submission, otherwise don’t look it up and I submit a less-polished Past-Ap. Stop reading here. A Psudo-trasher that lets you gain one of the trashed cards conditionally and helps prolong games in times of need, it is surprisingly hard to get the trashing going without the variable cost, and can even be impossible to trash certain cards in some kingdoms.

If you don’t know what Mao is, Post AP is a cantrip attack that has non-attack interaction. I wish there was an elegant way to let you reveal a moat, etc, or use lighthouse on yourself playing this, but it makes it a gamble, and isn’t much of a change. You get first chance to draw and last chance to trash in case of ties. Players will always get either +1 cheap card or +1vp, even if they trash 2 cards. And revealing a moat gets +1vp, hence the non-attack interaction.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 06:46:18 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 06:45:12 pm »
+1

If you know what Mao is, this is my submission, otherwise don’t look it up and I submit a less-polished Past-Ap. Stop reading here. A Psudo-trasher that lets you gain one of the trashed cards conditionally and helps prolong games in times of need, it is surprisingly hard to get the trashing going without the variable cost, and can even be impossible to trash certain cards in some kingdoms.

If you don’t know what Mao is, Post AP is a cantrip attack that has non-attack interaction. I wish there was an elegant way to let you reveal a moat, etc, or use lighthouse on yourself playing this, but it makes it a gamble, and isn’t much of a change. You get first chance to draw and last chance to trash in case of ties. Players will always get either +1 cheap card or +1vp, even if they trash 2 cards. And revealing a moat gets +1vp, hence the non-attack interaction.

No image is showing up for me.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 06:46:33 pm »

I fixed it

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 07:16:31 pm »

Both of these are way too long. Mao has 10 lines of text and 80 words, and Post AP. has 11 lines of text and 77 words. The longest official card is Possession, with "just" 8 lines of text and 60 words. These cards would be way too long even if they were simple cards that just took a lot of words, like how Native Village has a lot of text but is actually very simple in effect. But both of these try to do way, way, way too much.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:18:13 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2022, 01:30:39 am »
+2

I still can't see it.
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2022, 01:54:21 pm »
+4

My Submission (updated):

Sewing Circle • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: gain a card costing up to $4; or set aside a Sewing Circle from the Supply; or discard a set-aside Sewing Circle.

My submission is Sewing Circle, a cantrip gainer that (in addition to the standard costing-up-to-$4 gaining) can gain a copy of itself. While this multiplies your gaining ability down the line, doing so delays the other improvements to your deck that gaining will accomplish. But it is a pretty obvious benefit, enhanced by the fact that, as a cantrip, SC is not a stop card, so adding more to your deck won't slow it down.

The self-gaining also makes it even more cantrip-y. With other gainers, you can sometimes reach the point were you don't want any more of the cards that cost up to $4. If there's a cantrip available you can just gain that and (generally) not have any negative impact on your deck. But if they run out (or you otherwise don't want to gain any more of them), the gainer can become a dead card. With SC, you never have to gain a non-cantrip, since you an always choose the self-gaining option, either getting another copy or failing to gain if the pile is empty.

EDIT: I nerfed it slightly, so now it takes two plays to gain another Sewing Circle.

OLD VERSION:

Sewing Circle • $5 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: gain a Sewing Circle; or gain a card costing up to $4.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:29:51 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2022, 03:02:45 pm »

An empty deck/discard with a Sewing Circle and at least one other cantrip in hand can empty the pile instantly which I'm never a fan of. That said, I still think it's a neat idea. The card it reminds me most of is actually Groom, which can also cantrip gain, can gain and play copies of itself (it loops pretty easily with +Actions, Groom+Horse can gain Groom+Horse, etc.), usually ends games in 3 piles, and it only costs $4. The biggest issue is that it's way easier to multiply these that to multiply Grooms since you don't need the +Actions. I wonder if adding a "(if you haven't gained one this turn)" after the "gain a Sewing Circle" might be enough to mitigate the autopiling issues.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2022, 03:14:21 pm »

I think that is too crazy. Most cantrip workshops have a downside like being delayed (Cobbler), being conditional (Sculptor, Falconer) or being in a split pile (Hill Fort).
Unlike Hill Fort, this is immediately available and the self-gaining makes this far too good. I mean, which game in which this is in will not end in three-piling?

A game in which there aren't any Kingdom cards at $4 or less worth piling out. If it's all weak trashers and terminal Silver, those aren't the kind of cards that you want to fill your deck with.

I'd also point out that, even without SC's autogain and Hill Fort's gain-to-hand, HF would be a better card, because it's cantrip happens after the gaining, meaning that if you trigger the shuffle your new card doesn't miss it.

An empty deck/discard with a Sewing Circle and at least one other cantrip in hand can empty the pile instantly which I'm never a fan of. That said, I still think it's a neat idea. The card it reminds me most of is actually Groom, which can also cantrip gain, can gain and play copies of itself (it loops pretty easily with +Actions, Groom+Horse can gain Groom+Horse, etc.), usually ends games in 3 piles, and it only costs $4. The biggest issue is that it's way easier to multiply these that to multiply Grooms since you don't need the +Actions. I wonder if adding a "(if you haven't gained one this turn)" after the "gain a Sewing Circle" might be enough to mitigate the autopiling issues.

I'm not sure that's correct. Because SC gains after it draws, there has to be one waiting in the discard pile when you play another. Otherwise, you could pay a SC (drawing nothing because your deck/discard is empty) to gain a SC, then play the other cantrip to draw the 2nd SC, but when you played that, it wouldn't draw anything, and the other SC would be stuck in your discard. To autopile, you'd either need 2 SC in your hand or 1 in hand and there other one to be the only card in your discard/deck. (Rats works exactly the same way, but it also trashes cards). There's a fairly big difference between needing 2 of them and needing just 1, but there is still the possibility of autopiling. (You can also simulate having 2 SCs with a throne variant, and you can accomplish the chaining by playing a card that lets you topdeck on-gain [Tracker, WotSeal]).

I hadn't thought of the autopiling issue. I may have to come up with something to deal with that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 03:32:10 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.