Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Monet  (Read 2378 times)

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
Dominion: Monet
« on: August 24, 2022, 05:37:32 am »
+2

DOMINON: MONET

Dominion: Monet is a fan expansion consisting only of landscapes (geddit?). It exists partly because I haven't bumped into that many fan landscape cards elsewhere (notable exceptions being Asper's Legacy, Carline's Venus and X-tra's Heroes expansions), but also because it's much easier to incorporate custom landscape cards into a physical game than custom Supply cards!

The set currently contains 25 35 40 landscape cards but is still very WIP. I posted some ideas a year ago but abandoned around half of them after feedback and a bit of playtesting. More playtesting is definitely needed though, and more feedback would be very welcome too!

Events

Comments: Note that Overtime doesn't give a +Buy (and predates Launch). Store can keep an Action out of your hand indefinitely (like Way of the Turtle). Patronage uses a new (Adventures-style) +1VP player token.

Landmarks

Comments: Hospital protects against Junkers but not enough to make them useless; it also synergises with Debt-only and $0* cards. Metropole encourages a rush.

Projects

Comments: Inheritance takes precedence over Heritage (since if you choose to apply Inheritance first then Estates are no longer single type Victory cards so Heritage can't override that).

Traits

Comments: Droit du Seigneur is just to help tracking.

Ways

Comments: Way of the Mongrel might be a bit too crazy.

Edicts

Comments: Edicts are general rule-changing cards.

Gambits

Comments: Gambits are effects that you can trigger up to once per turn during your Action phase — either before, after or in between playing Action cards

[Updates]

2021.04.19 Original post
2022.08.24 This post, with images and lots of new cards
2022.08.24 Nerfed Money Changer and removed Import (too similar to Family of Inventors)
2022.08.25 Added Cartel.
2022.08.26 Simplify Capitol, phrasing tweaks to Five-Four, Great Plague.
2022.09.08 Added Gambits after a tiny bit of playtesting.
2022.09.09 Nerf Ekklesia and tweak Heritage.
2022.10.06 Tweak Royal Engineer and Agora, rename Cartel to Charity.
2022.10.07 Nerf Diaspora.
2023.01.21 Add Traits.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 10:35:13 am by Udzu »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Monet
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 07:29:11 am »
+1

Money Changer ist crazily overpowered. Coins into Coffers only works with worse rates or some other downsides.

Patronage on any cantrip does not make you want to end the game.
1 VP per turn is hardly enough to make you not want to end the game. It's true that Money Changer is OP though.

Import is basically just League of Inventors, but less interesting.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 07:52:42 am »
+1

Money Changer ist crazily overpowered. Coins into Coffers only works with worse rates or some other downsides.

It does cost a Buy, but you're probably right. I've nerfed it, and might update it again once I've had a chance to playtest.

Patronage on any cantrip does not make you want to end the game.

Patronage only affects the first play each turn.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 08:09:37 am by Udzu »

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 07:54:28 am »

Import is basically just League of Inventors, but less interesting.

Ooh, I hadn't noticed that (I haven't played Allies yet)! I agree it's too similar to be interesting so I'll remove it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 11:13:26 am »

Money Changer is OP? It doesn't give +buy, so it only does anything when you have an extra buy, but not enough to purchase something you actually want to purchase. So basically if you have exactly leftover with no worth buying. If you had a great turn which produced an extra along with an extra buy, surely you'd rather buy a than get 2 coffers for a later turn? Or it could be good early, if you open with or then it lets you get / instead.

*Edit* Looks like it was already updated. Would be nice if the OP included both versions, because otherwise it makes the comments confusing. Was the original just 1-to-1 instead? Even then you're forfeiting buying a card now to get a better card next turn.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:35:52 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 11:51:17 am »

Yes, the original cost $1 but gave you 1 coffers per $1 overpay. So at $2 both give 1, but at $5 the original gave 4. It’s possible that the new one goes too far the other way of course. I’m worried about putting a +Buy as then it would become an automatic buy if you have left over coin, but maybe that’s necessary.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 12:11:00 pm »

Yes, the original cost $1 but gave you 1 coffers per $1 overpay. So at $2 both give 1, but at $5 the original gave 4. It’s possible that the new one goes too far the other way of course. I’m worried about putting a +Buy as then it would become an automatic buy if you have left over coin, but maybe that’s necessary.

Yeah I think adding +buy would make the balancing harder for sure, and just take away much of the decision about when to use it or not. The current version seems pretty good to me, even though it's situational. It definitely might get bought mostly in the opening or near the very end of the game, if all that matters is hitting .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 03:19:23 pm »

Store looks like a worse Save. There are few Actions which you want to keep in nirvana for more than one turn. Edge cases like Sea Hag in Kingdoms without trashers or ultra-consistency via paying $2 to set aside a splitter for more than one turn to become super-consistent are simply too borderline.

Store lets you set up a mega-turn or combo far more effectively than Save though. (Is also not susceptible to size attacks but that’s a minor point.)

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 03:19:51 pm »

Spice of Life needs to be restricted to Kingdom piles to prevent pins in junking-heavy Kingdoms without trashers.

Not sure I understand. Are you worried about not being able to hit $3 to buy a Silver without using one? I quite like the impact of this on Big Money (no more using Silver to buy more Silver or, more significantly, Gold to buy more Gold).

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 03:23:23 pm »

*Edit* Looks like it was already updated. Would be nice if the OP included both versions, because otherwise it makes the comments confusing.

(Sorry 'bout that. I've now added links to the old versions in the Updates section at the bottom.)

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 03:48:37 pm »

Little money is often the only path in the above mentioned junking intensive Kingdoms. I mean, gee, the very game is designed such that you can always buy Copper for a reason! It virtually never occurs but if it does, you would have Copper as an out.

I mean you can still always buy Copper. Just don't play any from your hand first! (Or play a Ruined Market and buy two!)

Suppose there is no Kingdom card that provides virtual Coins. You might never ever reach $5 in some Kingdoms due to the Copper/Silver restriction (no way to build an engine either).

Did you perhaps misread? You can play as many cards as you want. You just can't buy a card that you've played. So it's fine to play 2 Silvers and 2 Coppers and buy a Gold, or 3 Coppers to buy a Silver. You just can't use Silver to buy more Silver or Gold to buy more Gold.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 02:17:59 pm »

Great concept.  I always like additional landscapes, especially for the single-expansion ones like Projects and Ways.

Quote from: Ekklesia Image
Ekklesia
$4 - Project
At the start of your turn, choose one: Exile the top card of your deck or discard a card you have in Exile.
Ekklesia is probably too strong (nerf suggestinos welcome).
Ekklesia doesn't seem overpowered so much as swingy, both based on the Kingdom and based on shuffle luck.  Note that unlike Cathedral, it only looks at one card for something to get rid of instead of (usually) five.

It's swingy based on the Kingdom because it's a lot more powerful if there's a way to get good cards into Exile.  With something like Camel Train, it lets you pseudo-trash a card a turn until your junk-to-useful ratio gets too low, then it lets you get your Exiled cards slightly faster.  With no other Exilers, it still lets you pseudo-trash a card a turn until your junk-to-useful ratio gets too low, but then forces you to take a probably-useful card out of your deck for a turn every second turn, which probably makes it too weak.

It's also swingy based on shuffle luck because one player could successfully Exile junk several times in a row while the other gets unlucky and exiles good cards.  I don't want to be the player who opens Silver-Ekklesia and then winds up Exiling the Silver on Turn 3 while my opponent who opened Ekklesia-Silver has successfully Exiled two junk cards.  Deck-stackers like Courtyard won't usually help (barring edge cases like Prince of Courtyards) because you draw your new hand after the deck-stackers take effect and before Ekklesia triggers at the start of your next turn.  While many official cards have this problem to some degree (I've had horror stories from both Rabble and Noble Brigand), it's still something that should be minimized as much as possible, IMO.

As for a potential fix, maybe something like:  "At the start of your turn, look at the top card of your deck.  You may Exile it.  If you don't, put it back and Exile a card from the Supply costing up to $4."  This does remove the ability to let you un-Exile cards whose supply piles are empty (most notably Stockpile), and maybe that was part of the point of the card, but this change makes Ekklesia more consistently decent.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 04:35:55 am »

As for a potential fix, maybe something like:  "At the start of your turn, look at the top card of your deck.  You may Exile it.  If you don't, put it back and Exile a card from the Supply costing up to $4."  This does remove the ability to let you un-Exile cards whose supply piles are empty (most notably Stockpile), and maybe that was part of the point of the card, but this change makes Ekklesia more consistently decent.

Thanks for the great feedback. I think you're right that it's too swingy. However, it turns out that "Exile or put back" is way too strong (even without being able add some free Estates). Unlike Cathedral, Ekklesia doesn't impact your current turn, and once you start greening it has more cards to work with. In the end, I settled on "Exile or discard" and upped the cost to $3+3 Debt to slow you down slightly (but still allow an opening turn buy nearly always).

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 04:41:15 am »

I've added 10 Gambits to the expansion. These are effects that you can trigger up to once per turn during your Action phase — either before, after or in between playing Action cards. They don't cost an action to trigger and are generally quite weak. I've played with most of the cards shown and they seem to work ok, but feedback welcome.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 10:26:18 am »

I have Tropes, Horizontals that affect your deck, mostly during shuffle. The project Star Chart could be a Trope.
Here is an example of a Trope: Outcast: After each shuffle, before drawing your first hand, review your deck's top card and either discard or trash it.

I have Trends, Horizontals that affect your hand. The project Cathedral could be a Trend.
Here is an example of a Trend: Sift: At the start of your turn, draw one card and discard one card.

Here http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21480.msg897224#msg897224 are some Horizontals i have printed for my use. I also printed 32 Ways, 31 are my design that i could add to my post if you are interested. They are largely remodeled versions of the existing $2 cards. Way of the Hummingbird, a remodeled Chapel, is the most popular at our house.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:08:47 pm by BryGuy »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 01:24:31 pm »

I have Tropes, Horizontals that affect your deck, mostly during shuffle. The project Star Chart could be a Trope.
Here is an example of a Trope: Outcast: After each shuffle, before drawing your first hand, review your deck's top card and either discard or trash it.

I have Trends, Horizontals that affect your hand. The project Cathedral could be a Trend.
Here is an example of a Trend: Sift: At the start of your turn, draw one card and discard one card.

Here http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21480.msg897224#msg897224 are some Horizontals i have printed for my use. I also printed 32 Ways, 31 are my design that i could add to my post if you are interested. They are largely remodeled versions of the existing $2 cards. Way of the Hummingbird, a remodeled Chapel, is the most popular at our house.

What's the reason for Tropes and/or Trends not to just be Projects? As Projects, they might look like this: Sift and Outcast.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 05:05:53 pm »

What's the reason for Tropes and/or Trends not to just be Projects? As Projects, they might look like this: Sift and Outcast.

With the introduction of Traits, i was mostly playing with similar ideas. I noticed i had a project or two and there existed two projects that could be reconfigured for this purpose. Also i mostly play in real life and part of my set-up is not using more than one type of Horizontal. By creating two new groups, i could squeeze in a few more option combinations. I guess they could be Projects, but like Traits my intent was to affect everyone.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.