Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #161: You Spin Me Right Round  (Read 5148 times)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #161: You Spin Me Right Round
« on: August 20, 2022, 10:08:09 am »
+5

Weekly Design Contest #161: You Spin me Right Round

Allies might not be brand new anymore, but there's still one of its major themes we haven't touched on much for WDCs. And that is of course... rotating split piles. This week's contest is for you to design a rotating split pile with 4 copies of 4 differently named cards (also steadily increasing in cost from top to bottom). That's it. The cards can be any type (including types not present in Allies). Keep in mind that the cards in the pile should complement/interact with each other in some way.

My favourite kinds of cards in Dominion are ones that are relatively strong and have many interactions with other existing cards, so take that as my judging criteria.

I'll close this contest on August 27 at 11 PM EST (might need a bit of extra time for judging on this one, we'll have to see).
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #161: You Spin Me Right Round
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 03:57:11 pm »

A Guilds based rotating pile. They all interact with Coffers in different ways. Tailors is a simple upgraded terminal silver. Bookbinders is a coffers based library. Furriers allows you pull of tokens off any mat(coffers, villagers, favors, or even the Pirate ship) as an attack. Embroiderers make coffers feel more like VP tokens. Maybe I should switch the cost of Furrier and Embroiderers.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 06:29:04 pm »

Furriers is the type of unbounded Militia that one should never ever do because it can lead to pins in 3P games.
I knew it was too strong when I was making it. Couldn't find a nice simple way to simple way to say, don't discard to les than 2 cards in hand or someting.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 06:31:36 pm »
+1

Furriers is the type of unbounded Militia that one should never ever do because it can lead to pins in 3P games.
I knew it was too strong when I was making it. Couldn't find a nice simple way to simple way to say, don't discard to les than 2 cards in hand or someting.

You could have all other players then draw up to 2/3 cards in hand after the attack.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 06:45:25 pm »
+1

It can (and probably will) lead to pins in 2P games too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

n_sanity

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 08:50:35 pm »
+2

Do the costs need to be strictly increasing? For example, if a pile contains some Potion or Debt costs and some coin costs, is that OK?

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 10:04:51 pm »
+6

Here are the Lodges, a multicolored split pile!

Farmhouse can rotate the Lodges and is a now and next turn mini-Shepherd. Chalet is a VP card that rewards you for getting all four Lodges; it also rotates the pile upon gain, making a lot harder to get multiple of these at once. Mountain Hall is a sort of Lab meets Mountain Village, great when you've got things in the discard to choose from, but sad without a discard. Thankfully, it also has a neat reaction that lets you discard it at the start of your turn for a big draw. Finally, Chateau is a Treasure that rewards having lots of Victory cards in hand.

There are some light interactions between them all. For example, Chalet helps Farmhouse and Chateau; Mountain Hall can pick up VP cards for Farmhouse and Chateau.

*Edit: Upped Chateau's non-conditional payout from +$1 to +$2.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:17:18 am by 4est »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 01:13:56 am »
+1

Tradesman
cost $2 - Action - Caste
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Buy
You may rotate the Caste.
You may immediately buy a card to topdeck it.

Crafter
cost $3 - Action - Caste
Gain an Action card costing up to $5.

Farmer
cost $4 - Action - Attack - Caste
You may trash a Treasure from your hand to gain a Gold.
Each other player gains an Estate.

Samurai
cost $5 - Action - Caste
+1 Action
You may Exile a Victory card from your hand.
+$1 per a Victory card on your Exile mat.

Japanese Caste, Shino-kosho.

Edit: forgot to write the bold phrases.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:10:06 pm by majiponi »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 02:01:23 am »

Do the costs need to be strictly increasing? For example, if a pile contains some Potion or Debt costs and some coin costs, is that OK?

I would like the costs to be strictly increasing, but using potions or debt is 100% fine and I welcome you to.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 02:04:18 am »
+1

Tradesman
cost $2 - Action - Caste
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Buy
You may rotate the Caste.
You may immediately buy a card to topdeck it.

Crafter
cost $3 - Action - Caste
Gain a card costing up to $5.

Farmer
cost $4 - Action - Attack - Caste
You may trash a Treasure to gain a Gold.
Each other player gains an Estate.

Samurai
cost $5 - Action - Caste
+1 Action
You may Exile a Victory card.
+$1 per a Victory card on your Exile mat.

Japanese Caste, Shino-kosho.

I don't think being the 2nd card in a rotating pile is enough of a downside to justify a card that's strictly better than either Workshop or Importer. Farmer and Samurai are both missing a "from your hand."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 09:20:47 am »
+1

A debt set because I thought it'd be interesting. Laborer and Dealmaker both reduce your starting handsize, Woodworker is a weird double-Workshop that can gain more expensive cards with a cost or other cards from its pile, and Librarian is both a sifter and draw-to-X somehow.
they/them

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 01:56:13 pm »
+2

Vendors split pile.

Goldfish Peddler - $3
Action - Vendor
+1 Action
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. You may play an Action from among them. Return the rest in any order.
You may rotate the Vendors.
Lantern Vendor - $4
Action - Vendor
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action, play it twice. Otherwise, put it onto your deck, +4 cards and +1 Action, then put 3 cards from your hand onto your deck in any order.
Noodle Cook - $5
Action - Vendor
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs $4 or less, put it into your hand. Otherwise, +$2.
Festival Square - $6
Action - Vendor
+4 Cards
You may exile a card from your hand. If it is an...
Action card, +2 Actions.
Treasure card, +$1.
Victory card, +1%.
Curse, trash it instead.

A series of cards that encourage gaining Actions, manipulating the deck without discarding, and taking advantage of that manipulation. I am not entirely sure if they are all well balanced. I know that being in a split pile does allow under pricing things a bit, but I may have gone overboard. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Made some minor tweaks to adjust power level of cards. Swapped the cost of Noodle Cook and Lanter Vendor.

Edit 2: Modified Lantern Vendor. The throne room effect does not come with a +Action built in. The Secondary function makes it a cantrip with deck stacking. Thanks to emtzalex for the feedback.

Old Version
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:04:22 pm by Xen3k »

binbag420

• Swindler
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 02:43:27 pm »
+2

The Gatherers. A series of cards, most of which interact with the other Gatherers.

Bounty acts as a mini non-terminal vassal. The effect be used now or at the start of your next turn, including the pile rotation. Isn't particularly strong but has good control over the Gatherers, which increase in power.

Huntsman is an Oasis variant, which is a card that is usually weak, however Huntress allows for DtX combos to always be in kingdom. It can also gain Gatherers, which is useful as most Gatherers are powerful when gained in multiples.

Huntress combos with Huntsman and sometimes Deerstalker, with it's DtX. If you don't have a Gatherer in hand, it can still trash, but terminally. In combination with the other Gatherers it can be very powerful.

Deerstalker is a double lab with +buy, but makes you discard a card, and gets less powerful when played in multiples.

EDIT: Added semicolons to Huntress and Deerstalker now draws an extra card and has updated wording.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 07:10:40 am by binbag420 »

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 05:15:26 pm »
+1

Compass begins the game similar to a Goat but is eventually able to gain Action cards, provided it is played immediately preceding an Action. Typically, Treasures will be played after Actions, so you're likely gonna need some help to pull this off.

Chest is a delayed Tiara that can't topdeck. Take a coin as compensation. Oh look, now you can start your next turn with a Compass.

Merchandise acts as a Grand Market if you can find a way to gain a card in your Action phase. Worst case scenario, it's a Silver you can play to buy a second card.

Ancient Texts is another way to get Treasures in play during your Action phase, while also forcing your opponents to discard them.

TheRedKnight

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 11:58:34 pm »
+2

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 08:03:04 pm by TheRedKnight »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 01:55:31 pm »
+2

The Gatherers. A series of cards, most of which interact with the other Gatherers.

Bounty acts as a mini non-terminal vassal. The effect be used now or at the start of your next turn, including the pile rotation. Isn't particularly strong but has good control over the Gatherers, which increase in power.

Huntsman is an Oasis variant, which is a card that is usually weak, however Huntress allows for DtX combos to always be in kingdom. It can also gain Gatherers, which is useful as most Gatherers are powerful when gained in multiples.

Huntress combos with Huntsman and sometimes Deerstalker, with it's DtX. If you don't have a Gatherer in hand, it can still trash, but terminally. In combination with the other Gatherers it can be very powerful.

Deerstalker is a double lab with +buy, but makes you discard a card, and gets less powerful when played in multiples.

1. For Huntress, choices should be separated by semicolons, not commas.
2. The second clause for Huntress has accountability issues. You might want to choose the first option with no Gatherers in hand to avoid being forced to trash, but in that case there's no accountability for when you don't have a Gatherer in hand to play since it's mandatory. I'd fix this with "you may choose one."
3. Is it intentional that Deerstalker gets penalized for other players' Bounties? If not, it should say "discard a card per Gatherer you have in play."

Compass begins the game similar to a Goat but is eventually able to gain Action cards, provided it is played immediately preceding an Action. Typically, Treasures will be played after Actions, so you're likely gonna need some help to pull this off.

Chest is a delayed Tiara that can't topdeck. Take a coin as compensation. Oh look, now you can start your next turn with a Compass.

Merchandise acts as a Grand Market if you can find a way to gain a card in your Action phase. Worst case scenario, it's a Silver you can play to buy a second card.

Ancient Texts is another way to get Treasures in play during your Action phase, while also forcing your opponents to discard them.

Compass should say "Loot, first +" to specify timing. Chest has accountability issues since you might not have a Treasure in hand to set aside. It needs to either be optional or say "(or reveal you can't)." Ancient Texts has the same problem; it covers your opponents not having the Treasure you played, but it doesn't cover you not having any Treasures yourself.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 07:24:53 pm »
+2

There are 3 of each statues.

Yes, Golden Sculpture is missing the green colouring in the background. I simply do not have that card template (yet). Sorry!

Edit: Since there are only 3 copies of each Statue, if you run with the whole pile, you'll score 61.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 07:41:05 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 07:57:34 pm »
+2

I know how little you like to read, so only 1 card; my first rotating pile; and it came out during allies previews. It uses unused cards like BM or YW.You can even get another split pile (partially) inside. In such a case, the pile gains the other split pile type as well if it a rotator. In the case of small castle, the pile also has the. castle type, which is interesting in 2p games with castles. Similarly a night can be taken. Unlike BM, horses and non-supply cards (that say so) cannot be chosen, but unlike YW cards are selected individually which allows for non-normal cards. If you get a night or zombie such that there is only 1 copy normally, using blanks is a good option.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:03:12 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 09:45:39 pm »

I know how little you like to read, so only 1 card; my first rotating pile; and it came out during allies previews. It uses unused cards like BM or YW.You can even get another split pile (partially) inside. In such a case, the pile gains the other split pile type as well if it a rotator. In the case of small castle, the pile also has the. castle type, which is interesting in 2p games with castles. Similarly a night can be taken. Unlike BM, horses and non-supply cards (that say so) cannot be chosen, but unlike YW cards are selected individually which allows for non-normal cards. If you get a night or zombie such that there is only 1 copy normally, using blanks is a good option.

No picture is showing up for me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:47:55 pm by Gubump »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 12:36:06 am »

No picture is showing up for me.

Text reads:

Servant - Action-Citizen, $2
Choose two: +1 card, +1 action, or +$1. The choices must be different.
-
Setup: get 4 of the same $3, $4, and $5 cost kingdom cards. They are Citizens.

(formatted incorrectly)
they/them

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 08:04:18 am »

The Curios: They come with an Heirloom and a custom mat. The theme of this split pile is to amass an impressive collection of as many different cards as possible.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 09:21:04 am »

Minor update to my submission: I felt like Chateau was a bit weak for $6, so I increased the non-conditional payout from +$1 to +$2. Now it hopefully won't be so sad with no VP cards in hand (see OP here).

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2022, 07:16:14 pm »

The Curios: They come with an Heirloom and a custom mat. The theme of this split pile is to amass an impressive collection of as many different cards as possible.

Kitsugi and wunderkammer have an anti-synergy without watchtower, etc, to gain W elsewhere, as K is worth 2 in the eyes of W, but the second W stops K from producing its own points (and yet, K is the second half of W's points), making it so that a second W likely isn't worth it unless you are getting a third.

Like the exponential cost though.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 07:48:07 pm »

Kintsugi probably features a wrong Coin cost.
They all look pretty weak except for Vitrine which is basically a buffed Island.
Conservator does not work due to TfB like Salvager and Forge. This already occurred when people tried Exile instead of trash.

It might be about right for the first and 4th, but the second stops Knitsgi from earning points, and the third is needed to make up for it considering the cost.
Why won't conservator work? I can see why TfB cannot work with exile (you can get the benefit more) but you cannot get a card back from CoC, unlike the trash in some games.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 01:24:50 pm »

About Conservator, you do not want to get Green off any mat anyway so it is literally the same as Exile. Trash Province with Salvager, reveal Conservator to put it onto the mat instead, get enough Coins to buy at least buy another Province.

Ah! Makes sense.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.