Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #161: You Spin Me Right Round  (Read 5158 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #161: You Spin Me Right Round
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 02:18:23 pm »
+2

Musician
Action - Entertainer
$3

$2

Look through your discard pile and put a card from it on top of your deck.

You may rotate the Entertainers.

Thespian
Action - Entertainer
$4

+1 Card
+3 Actions

Discard a card.

Illusionist
Action - Entertainer
$5

+1 Action
Name a card, then reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it or put it back If you named it, +3 Cards otherwise +2 Cards

Director
Action - Treasure - Command - Entertainer
$6

If it is your Action phase play a non-Command Action card you already have in play, otherwise play a non-Command Treasure card you already have in play.

My go this week, the Entertainers
- Musician -The main thing here is a synergy with Illusionist so the pile gives you a way of choosing what your top card is.
- Thespian - Acting Troop gives 4 villagers so thematically this had to give a lot of actions. I think I have balanced it as a village that gives 3 actions.
- Illusionist - Originally I wanted to call this Magician but the word is too similar to Musician. I decided to use the guess your top card mechanic from Wishing Well and Mysitic but put a different spin on it.
- Director - A command card that allows you to play any action ro treasure card as long as you already have a copy in play.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 02:26:01 pm by xyz123 »

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 04:18:54 pm »

Kintsugi probably features a wrong Coin cost.
They all look pretty weak except for Vitrine which is basically a buffed Island.
Conservator does not work due to TfB like Salvager and Forge. This already occurred when people tried Exile instead of trash.

It might be about right for the first and 4th, but the second stops Knitsgi from earning points, and the third is needed to make up for it considering the cost.
Why won't conservator work? I can see why TfB cannot work with exile (you can get the benefit more) but you cannot get a card back from CoC, unlike the trash in some games.
About Conservator, you do not want to get Green off any mat anyway so it is literally the same as Exile. Trash Province with Salvager, reveal Conservator to put it onto the mat instead, get enough Coins to buy at least buy another Province.
Regarding the TfB, my hope was to make it worthwhile to go for Vitrine or Wunderkammer instead of another province thanks to TfB making that easier, drawing out the game with a larger VP count. For example a game with Animal Fair and Salvager.

Kintsugi anti-synergizing with W was intentional to give the Curio pile some interesting features even in low $ games. I might have the wrong idea about that though. Alternatively it could be worth 1VP per unique card on the mat.

I don´t understand what you meant by wrong coin cost.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 01:16:22 am »
+1

These are horrible. In my defense, I've never actually played with rotating split piles before and got re-obsessed with this game like a week ago after literal years away from it. Also I made this at like 1 AM.

Disclaimers over. Here's my entry.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 06:33:55 am »
+2

I present to you, a series of Treasure-Reserve cards: The Stones! (not 'rolling')
Stone of Improvement has been altered, see textual description for newest wording.

Put this on your Tavern mat
At the start of your turn, you may call this to trash a card from your hand, gain a Silver and rotate the stones
Stone of Transformation
Early game remodeler with mandatory pile rotating. Can even turn cards into gold when combined with Stone of Improvement.
When you gain a card, you may call this to exchange it for a Silver or card costing up to $2 more than it.
Stone of Improvement
Got a card you don't like or (up to) $2 short of the card you needed? The Stone of Improvement's got your back! A savable Silver that defends against junkers, let's you gain $5's with SoT or puts a Province for sale at $6.
Choose one: +$2 and +1 Buy; or gain a Reserve card onto your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, you may call this to discard your hand for +6 Cards, +$2 and +1 Buy.
Stone of Preparation
Gains Reserve cards directly onto you Tavern mat. Good with any reserve card (except Wine Merchant) and turns into a Silver+ when all reserve cards are gone. If you somehow manage to get it on your Tavern mat, you can have a great shot at a double-province turn.
$2
When you call a card (not Stone of Repetition), you may call this to put it on your Tavern map.
Stone of Repetition
A throne room for reserve cards (except Wine Merchant). Allows you to have a silver in your deck instead of an otherwise dead card, and the only way to return a Stone of Preparation to your Tavern mat.
The goal of this pile is usually to get a Stone of Preparation onto your Tavern mat, and then return it with a Stone of Repetition. Strong pile control is required to set this up and might be outpaced by other strategies if your opponent messes with the pile. A few Stones of Improvement can quickly snatch enough Provinces to win the game, especially when combined with a Stone of Repetition.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:01:36 am by J410 »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 02:10:46 pm »
+2

Lantern Vendor - $4
Action - Vendor
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action, play it twice. Otherwise, +4 cards, then put 2 cards from your hand onto your deck in any order.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Lantern Vendor feels way OP. If you don't find an Action card, the effect is strictly better than Lab, which costs $5. If you do find one, you're effectively getting a Throne Room + cantrip (with a virtual +Card). The fact that you don't get to choose which card to throne (absent the ability to place it there, which both LV and Goldfish Peddler allow) makes it not strictly better than Throne Room, but it's still very strong. Even as a card in a rotator pile that's hard to get to, this seems way too powerful.

It's also ambiguous when a revealed non-Action would go back onto the deck.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 03:00:05 pm »

Lantern Vendor - $4
Action - Vendor
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action, play it twice. Otherwise, +4 cards, then put 2 cards from your hand onto your deck in any order.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Lantern Vendor feels way OP. If you don't find an Action card, the effect is strictly better than Lab, which costs $5. If you do find one, you're effectively getting a Throne Room + cantrip (with a virtual +Card). The fact that you don't get to choose which card to throne (absent the ability to place it there, which both LV and Goldfish Peddler allow) makes it not strictly better than Throne Room, but it's still very strong. Even as a card in a rotator pile that's hard to get to, this seems way too powerful.

It's also ambiguous when a revealed non-Action would go back onto the deck.

That is a fair critique. I was unsure if it was enough being in a split pile, limited in count, and having an effect that is potentially random unless planned for. I was on the verge of changing it to stacking 3 cards back on top. I can also clarify when the revealed card is returned.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 03:06:23 pm by Xen3k »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 06:51:17 pm »
+2

My submission:

Name: Novice
Cost: $3
Types: Action, Viking
You may rotate the Vikings. Gain a Viking. Return this to the Viking pile.

Name: Privateer
Cost: $4
Types: Action, Victory, Viking
You may rotate the Vikings up to two times. Gain a Viking. Return this to the Viking pile.

1 VP

Name: Paladin
Cost: $5
You may rotate the Vikings up to three times. Gain a Viking. Return this to the Viking pile.

3 VP

Name: Valhalla
Cost: $6
Types: Victory, Viking
7 VP

When you gain this, rotate the Vikings.

Edit: Added the on-gain to Valhalla (it was intended to be there originally, I just forgot it).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:44:42 pm by scott_pilgrim »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2022, 07:20:33 pm »

My submission:

You may rotate the Vikings up to two times. Gain a Viking. Return this to the Viking pile.

1 VP

You may rotate the Vikings up to three times. Gain a Viking. Return this to the Viking pile.

3 VP

7 VP

Intresting minigame to get points. Because the cards go to the top of the deck, this is going to quickly become a messy deck, and rotating the deck with only Novices will be as if you didn't rotate at all for the first buys. Kindof like a traveler, but more unique. If there was a way to get Valhalla more expensive, it would be good, so that they aren't strictly better than provinces, 2+ duchies, or 3+ estates. (Currently, if you buy the last non-valhalla on Valhalla, you are setting the next player(s) up for getting good cards.

Also, once the Valhalla's are gone, there is no benefit for you to get one, or to not trash the ones you have. I suggest either upping the costs to 3/5/7/9 and giving Paladin VP and both Privateer and paladin an additional effect would be good. Once the first Valhalla has been grabbed, only sabotage and cost references can make Paladin be more desirable than Novice.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2022, 07:25:24 pm »

I present to you, a series of Treasure-Reserve cards: The Stones! (not 'rolling')

At the start of your turn, you may call this to trash a card from your hand, gain a Silver and rotate the stones
Stone of Transformation
Early game remodeler with mandatory pile rotating. Can even turn cards into gold when combined with Stone of Improvement.
When you gain a card, you may call this to exchange it for a card costing up to $3 more sharing a type with it.
Stone of Improvement
Got a card you don't like or (up to) $3 short of the card you needed? The Stone of Improvement's got your back! Defends against Charlatan or puts a Province for sale at $5 (as long as Duchies last).
At the start of your turn, you may call this to discard your hand for +6 Cards, +$2 and +1 Buy.
Stone of Preparation
Gains Reserve cards directly onto you Tavern mat. Good with any reserve card (except Wine Merchant) and turns into a Silver+ when all reserve cards are gone. If you somehow manage to get it on your Tavern mat, you can have a great shot at a double-province turn.
+$2 Put this on your Tavern mat
When you call a card (not Stone of Repetition), you may call this to put it on your Tavern map.
Stone of Repetition
A throne room for reserve cards (except Wine Merchant). Allows you to have a silver in your deck instead of an otherwise dead card, and the only way to return a Stone of Preparation to your Tavern mat.
The goal of this pile is usually to get a Stone of Preparation onto your Tavern mat, and then return it with a Stone of Repetition. Strong pile control is required to set this up and might be outpaced by other strategies if your opponent messes with the pile. A few Stones of Improvement can quickly snatch enough Provinces to win the game, especially when combined with a Stone of Repetition.

The one problem with SoP is that I have is that it makes splits useless, if you win the split then your opponent basically doesn't want the fourth except to set you back. Otherwise seems pretty good.

These are horrible. In my defense, I've never actually played with rotating split piles before and got re-obsessed with this game like a week ago after literal years away from it. Also I made this at like 1 AM.

Disclaimers over. Here's my entry.

Honestly, I actually like these. I think worshiper should be optional, and the priest's gold gaining is a good offset of the power of deity.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2022, 07:49:26 pm »

My submission:

1 VP

3 VP

7 VP

Intresting minigame to get points. Because the cards go to the top of the deck, this is going to quickly become a messy deck, and rotating the deck with only Novices will be as if you didn't rotate at all for the first buys. Kindof like a traveler, but more unique. If there was a way to get Valhalla more expensive, it would be good, so that they aren't strictly better than provinces, 2+ duchies, or 3+ estates. (Currently, if you buy the last non-valhalla on Valhalla, you are setting the next player(s) up for getting good cards.

Also, once the Valhalla's are gone, there is no benefit for you to get one, or to not trash the ones you have. I suggest either upping the costs to 3/5/7/9 and giving Paladin VP and both Privateer and paladin an additional effect would be good. Once the first Valhalla has been grabbed, only sabotage and cost references can make Paladin be more desirable than Novice.

For what it's worth, I had forgotten to put the on-gain rotating on Valhalla; it's there now, which might change your analysis a little. Thanks for the feedback though! It sounds like you might have missed that Privateer and Paladin are also worth VP? And I think the fact that Valhalla is strictly better than Province (and Paladin strictly better than Duchy) is fine because they're generally not going to be available during your buy phase unless you put some extra effort into it; but I could be wrong about that.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2022, 05:59:43 am »

--edited for brevity--
Stone of Transformation
When you gain a card, you may call this to exchange it for a card costing up to $3 more sharing a type with it.
Stone of Improvement
Got a card you don't like or (up to) $3 short of the card you needed? The Stone of Improvement's got your back! Defends against Charlatan or puts a Province for sale at $5 (as long as Duchies last).
Choose one: +$2 and +1 Buy; or gain a Reserve card onto your Tavern mat.
Stone of Preparation
+$2 Put this on your Tavern mat
Stone of Repetition

The one problem with SoP is that I have is that it makes splits useless, if you win the split then your opponent basically doesn't want the fourth except to set you back. Otherwise seems pretty good.

I'd argue that getting a SoP is still useful as a gainer for the other stones. In particular, SoR still shines when used with SoI rather than SoP (both netting +$4 per play (was +$5 for SoI), with SoP providing an extra card and buy for the difficult setup). Uncontested, getting a SoP onto your tavern mat will likely take about 4 shuffles, and another to also get a SoR ready. A well-timed SoT of your opponent can delay that another shuffle.
Anyways, with a split pile of reserve cards I just had to create a reserve-replayer and a reserve gainer that gained onto your Tavern mat.

binbag420

• Swindler
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2022, 07:12:09 am »
+1

Updated wording, thanks to segura and gubump for feedback

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2022, 07:28:03 am »
+2

Carousel
Action/Duration/Carnival - $2
+$3
+1 Buy
For the rest of the game, at the start of your turns, rotate the Carnivals. If this puts a Duration on top, +1 Card.

Juggler
Action/Carnival - $3
Do all three in any order:
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand;
Discard a card;
Trash all but 3 cards in your hand

Slippery Dip
Action/Carnival - $4
+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card and rotate the Carnivals; or +$2 and discard a card.

Funhouse
Action/Duration/Carnival - $5
At the start of your next turn, +$3 and +1 Buy. Until then, when any player is instructed to rotate a pile (using the word "rotate"), +1 Card.

Concept: You almost definitely want a Carousel, which sets the pile spinning. Each of the cards in the pile contains something useful and it might be the only example in the game - Trashing, +Actions, +Buy.

Rules clarifications: If you rotate a pile at the start of your turn (e.g. with a Carousel), you still get a card from Funhouse as long as you haven't received the +$3 and +1 Buy. (If implemented online, the autoplay would have you receive the +$3 and +1 buy from Funhouse last)

The clunky wording on Funhouse means you get a +1 card if you try to rotate a uniform pile or an empty pile.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 07:20:54 pm by NoMoreFun »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2022, 12:45:09 pm »

For what it's worth, I had forgotten to put the on-gain rotating on Valhalla; it's there now, which might change your analysis a little. Thanks for the feedback though! It sounds like you might have missed that Privateer and Paladin are also worth VP? And I think the fact that Valhalla is strictly better than Province (and Paladin strictly better than Duchy) is fine because they're generally not going to be available during your buy phase unless you put some extra effort into it; but I could be wrong about that.

Yes, I missed the VP. With the vallahalla rotation, definitely makes it an actually pile, but I still think that if Paladin should do something other than just VP and exchanging.

I'd argue that getting a SoP is still useful as a gainer for the other stones. In particular, SoR still shines when used with SoI rather than SoP (both netting +$4 per play (was +$5 for SoI), with SoP providing an extra card and buy for the difficult setup). Uncontested, getting a SoP onto your tavern mat will likely take about 4 shuffles, and another to also get a SoR ready. A well-timed SoT of your opponent can delay that another shuffle.
Anyways, with a split pile of reserve cards I just had to create a reserve-replayer and a reserve gainer that gained onto your Tavern mat.

It is useful, but mainly as +3, +4, or +6 coin and +buy instead of a workshop. I agree that setting it up is difficult, but I am saying that once you have 2, you don't need a third (unless you don't have one on your TM, and bought 2 so you could more quickly grab the third, and maybe a SoR), nor do you want a single one for its main purpose.

Uncontested, and with perfect luck, you get a gamble T1 and follow with a SoT. This lets you draw SoT T2 and use it T3. T4 you shuffle again, letting you draw SoT and use it T5. T4 get gamble. This gets you to SoP, with a silver and 3 coppers to purchase it. T6 you get SoT and SoP, letting you grab a SoP to your TM and set up for rotation next turn. Grab gamble and expedition. T7 you have 1 card left, so you pull up SoP. SoT a card to rotate to SoR to grab a SoR. Get gambles and end with expedition in order to cycle your deck, quickly grabbing another 2 SoR on T8 (one with a buy and one with SoP.)

Carousel
Action/Duration/Carnival - $2
+$3
+1 Buy
For the rest of the game, at the start of your turns, rotate the Carnivals. If this puts a Duration on top, +1 Card.

Juggler
Action/Carnival - $3
Do all three in any order:
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand;
Discard a card;
Trash all but 3 cards in your hand

Slippery Dip
Action/Carnival - $4
+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card and rotate the Carnivals; or +$2 and discard a card.

Funhouse
Action/Duration/Carnival - $5
At the start of your next turn, +$3 and +1 Buy. Until then, when a pile is rotated (using the word "rotate"), +1 Card.

Concept: You almost definitely want a Carousel, which sets the pile spinning. Each of the cards in the pile contains something useful and it might be the only example in the game - Trashing, +Actions, +Buy.

I like this pile, especially with carousel rotating every turn, but I think there should be +(1) or +1 buy on non-duration carnivals. Funhouse may not scale well with multiple players.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2022, 02:26:49 pm »
+1

Here is my entry

Water
$2
Action - Duration - Element
You may rotate the Elements.
Either now or at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards.
This card is based on Boons The Sea's Gift and The River's Gift, as it gives the player a choice when they want the cards and also felt quite like a Seaside card. This is simple card and should provide players with a decent draw effect to power up their decks. Also the simple draw might help with the other cards from the this pile as they are mostly card disadvantage.
Earth
$3
Action - Reaction - Element
Choose one: Trash a Treasure from the Supply; or gain a Treasure from the trash to your hand.
-
When you discard this other than in Clean-up, you may play it.
This card is based on Boon The Earth's Gift as is focused as a gainer and linked to Treasures. After seeing Salt the Earth this card become a Treasure version of Lurker and to help is combo with later cards in the Pile it gained the reaction from Weaver.
Fire
$4
Action - Element
Reveal your deck then discard it. Look through your discard pile and you may trash up to 2 cards from it.
This card is based on Boon The Flame's Gift as a trasher. As most Trashers are purchased early on and this card is buried under the other Elements it was tuned up to be a somewhat unique and powerful trasher. Most trash effects that hit multiple cards at once are a trade off of current power, as in the card in hand are useful for that turn, for a better deck. This card cheats that by trashing card in the discard which typically overpowered but this card is slow to acquire and terminal. Hopefully that enough to keep it from being too broken. This also combos with Earth as a way to discard it and a way to get Treasures in the Trash.
Air
$5
Action - Element
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
+$2
Discard 2 cards.
This card is based on Boon The Wind's Gift as so can see the +2 Cards and Discard 2 cards. The tricky part was making a good card with that text at $5 and it felt fun to do a bunch of simple 2s. This card combos with Fire a bit as it fills the discard with Trash-able targets. This card combos with Earth as a discard outlet. As mentioned before the card disadvantage of this card can be recouped with Water. Overall I hope this card is good enough for players to want in may decks as it functions like a Festival with a bit of card selection on top.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:33:25 pm by arowdok »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2022, 12:02:24 am »
+1

Water
$2
Action - Duration - Element
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

Can you choose when to rotate the Elements? If not, I'd put the rotating part before the +Cards to remove ambiguity.
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

If so, Put a colon rather than a comma.
Either now or at the start of your next turn:
+2 Cards.

Earth
$3
Action - Reaction - Element
Choose one: Trash a Treasure from the Supply; or gain a Treasure from the trash to your hand.
-
When you discard this other than in Clean-up, you may play it.
Fire
$4
Action - Element
Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through it and you may trash up to 2 cards from it.

I can see what you're trying to do with Earth and Fire, but as worded by the time you're looking at Earth in your discard, you've already discarded it, so it's too late to play it.

I can see this working as an online-only card, but you couldn't do that physically unless you said something like, "Reveal every card in your deck, then discard the revealed cards". That would allow the user to react to this (as well as Tunnel)

Speaking of Tunnel, you can't reveal it in response to putting your deck into your discard pile, so that ruling would hold for Earth too.
https://boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/7389/when-you-use-chancellor-to-discard-your-deck-do-you-gain-a-gold-for-each-tunnel

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2022, 12:50:11 am »
+1

Slightly late, but here is your 24 hour warning. Get your submissions in!
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2022, 12:31:14 pm »

Either now or at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards.

Updated Water's text based on your feed back

I can see what you're trying to do with Earth and Fire, but as worded by the time you're looking at Earth in your discard, you've already discarded it, so it's too late to play it.

I can see this working as an online-only card, but you couldn't do that physically unless you said something like, "Reveal every card in your deck, then discard the revealed cards". That would allow the user to react to this (as well as Tunnel)

Speaking of Tunnel, you can't reveal it in response to putting your deck into your discard pile, so that ruling would hold for Earth too.
https://boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/7389/when-you-use-chancellor-to-discard-your-deck-do-you-gain-a-gold-for-each-tunnel

Update Fire's Text to make it discard the cards. I find it lame I have to do these as I thought for sure Chancellor's text discarded the cards but thank you for catching that.

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2022, 08:33:51 pm »

My submission:

Graper
$3
Action - Oinos
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck and discard them. +$1 per differently named card. If they're both Victory cards, +1 Action
You may rotate the Oinos

Vintner
$4
Action - Reaction - Oinos
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Silver to your hand.
-
When you discard this other than in Clean-up, look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any number, and put the rest back in any order.

Taverner
$5
Action - Reserve - Oinos
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
--
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this for +2 Buys, and you may rotate the Oinos.

Sommelier
$6
Action - Oinos
You may play a Treasure or Victory card from your hand.
+1vp per $2 it costs, (round down).

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2022, 11:55:41 pm »
+3

Submissions are closed! I’m getting ready to move tomorrow so I might not have time to post judging tomorrow, but I’ll try my best! Stay tuned!
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2022, 08:44:52 pm »

My submission:

Graper
$3
Action - Oinos
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck and discard them. +$1 per differently named card. If they're both Victory cards, +1 Action
You may rotate the Oinos

Vintner
$4
Action - Reaction - Oinos
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Silver to your hand.
-
When you discard this other than in Clean-up, look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any number, and put the rest back in any order.

Taverner
$5
Action - Reserve - Oinos
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
--
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this for +2 Buys, and you may rotate the Oinos.

Sommelier
$6
Action - Oinos
You may play a Treasure or Victory card from your hand.
+1vp per $2 it costs, (round down).

I think the main problem with Graper is that you can't be sure if you'll get +1 Action. This can be a good thing, like in the case of Vassal, but in Vassal's case you want to fill your deck with Action cards, which you'll probably be doing anyway. Graper's +Action only has a real chance of working out in the very late game, since filling your deck with victory cards early on is the exact opposite of a viable strategy.

Taverner looks really strong for $5. It's a strictly better +3 Cards +3 Buys, which is probably an $5 card already, but for Taverner, you can also save it for a turn when you really want it. Compared to Council Room (they're...like...similar enough), it also doesn't let each other player draw a card. All in all, it's significantly stronger than Council Room, a $5 card.

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2022, 02:36:23 pm »
+6

The judging is in! I've posted my comments below about each of your cards, in submission order. The winner is the person who I thought had the best overall pile. Also sorry for not copying over pictures or descriptions, this is already a really long post lol.

CaptainReklaw

Tailor: Too strong, especially compared to existing cards like Villain. Being part of a split pile does mean cards can be a bit stronger than normal, but this is the first card so that doesn’t really apply.

Bookbinders: Seems weakish in general but has some good synergy with its pile and other coffers cards. I like the design but it feels a bit too extreme (as in big highs and lows) as is.

Furriers: As others have said this card can very easily cause pins, especially with it also being a village. This card really needs a way to limit its attack or have others recover their hand afterwards.

Embroiderers: The amount of VP you can earn off of these scales way too quickly, especially considering you really only have to overpay once or twice, and then buy the rest at normal price. If this scored off some other condition the overpay effect would actually be kinda interesting (have a dead card in exchange for being able to store your excess money as coffers), but even that idea might need some reworks to it.

4est

Farmhouse: Power level seems quite good, the first turn you get a slightly weaker Dungeon type effect, but the next turn you get to essentially perform a Crop Rotation. Solid card.

Chalet: I really like the simplicity of this one, it can be worth a fair amount of VP for its price but doesn’t push for rush strategies like other $4 Victory cards can. The on gain effect is pretty cool too, as it makes it harder for you to scoop up all the Chalets in one go.

Mountain Hall: This one I have mixed thoughts on. Being able to draw whatever you want from your discard pile is obviously really good… unless you don’t have a discard pile. Harbinger also has this problem, and Mountain Village addresses it by having a back up effect if you don’t have a discard pile. However with the discarding that Farmhouse does for you, this can likely still function as a pseudo-Lab often enough, although you’ll mostly be grabbing green cards (which Chateau can use to be fair). The bigger problem of this card for me is its reaction. If you manage to get it, the card acts as a double Lab and can still be played later on as well (and if it draws more MH’s they can do the same). The problem is that most of the time you can’t guarantee something to be in your starting hand, meaning a lot of games will result in this powerful reaction being triggered by pure chance. I would rework the card to have some other backup bonus instead of this reaction (even though you will lose the cool color scheme of the pile).

Chateau: Like Bank, but it scales off of a card you start with fewer of, and are harder to keep around in your deck. To compensate, it costs a bit less and also gives some unconditional money and a buy. It’s not a powerhouse, but it fits pretty well with the pile and I think it’s pretty good.

Majiponi

Tradesman: This is actually one of my favorite individual cards of this contest. Being able to spend your money midturn is something that few other cards in the game utilize (spoiler, I also think those cards are really cool) and this puts a simple twist on the idea. Gaining cards onto your deck is great for setting up your next turn, or even sometimes continuing your current one. At $2 and already providing a bit of bonuses, this card's drawback of requiring extra payload cards to be played is perfect.

Crafter: I think this compares far too well to other Workshop variants for only a $3 card. You are a bit limited in getting it due to it being in a split pile, but the gap between $4 and $5 is very significant (which is a big part of why Canal costs $7). The Action card restriction doesn’t do much to limit the card, as in most cases the $5 cards you’d want would be Actions anyway.

Farmer: I think this card is pretty good. A $4 junking attack would normally be a little too strong but this is limited by being under two other cards and also not drawing you anything. This isn’t a super important point, but I did find it very strange that the card called “Farmer” attacks people and the one called “Samurai” doesn’t. :P

Samurai: I think that this card will have too late of a start to be able to do much. Being the last card of the pile and only being able to dispose of green cards, as well as not drawing anything make this slow as a thinner, and the payload will only come in handy after you’re able to exile multiple green cards. I did notice that Farmer dispenses Estates instead of Curses, likely to make this card do a little bit more. However I still think that other forms of trashing will be prioritized the majority of the time as they will be easier to get going much sooner.

Augie279

Laborer: Seems on the weak side to me, a $4 non terminal Woodcutter without the discarding would likely be only a mediocre card strength wise. It does help set up for DTX though, which is nice. I might just have a bias against Woodcutter style cards, but this doesn’t interest me a ton.

Woodworker: This card is pretty cool. I really like multi gainers, and this card also lets you do some other unique stuff (like straight up gaining a Vineyard). It also helps out its own pile by letting you gain any of its cards, which puts some consistency on an otherwise very board dependent effect.

Librarian: Discarding before drawing (twice even!) makes this card stand out enough from the other DTX cards in the game. I don’t have much else to say about it, a simple effect that is unique and synergizes well with the other cards.

Dealmaker: This card is a weird one. The debt cost is definitely appropriate here as repeated trashing for the rest of the game would make this wildly swingy with a coin cost (kinda like how Donate is). With that being said, having a trasher at the bottom of a split pile makes the DTX portion of it more awkward to get going. This card does help out the problem most DTX decks have with Victory cards though, by letting you trash your Provinces and then repurchase them with help of the +Buy on Laborer. Overall I think this card is okay?

Segura

Cup Bearer: Type synergies are really fun in my opinion. This card being useful for different things at different game stages makes it looks decently strong. It also synergizes extremely well with its pile, as all cards in it will have multiple types for multiple bonuses, as well as Royal Guard wanting to be discarded to be played. Great work on this one.

Cook: This card manages to avoid being strictly better than Ironworks by being in a split pile and through the Victory card option (although often times it will be similar in strength). With that being said I still think this card is okay, as the tokens fit into the pile well. I do wish it was a bit more distinct from Ironworks though.

Royal Guard: I agree that this would be too strong as a Smithy+, and as it is the card makes for a nice spin on the +2 Cards, +$2 for $5 card concept. Like Cup Bearer, this card also fits extremely well into its pile by providing cost reduction for Cook and free Action plays off of Cup Bearer.

Queen: Token conversion is a unique idea and very well suited for a split pile (as it would be very board dependent otherwise). I think the rate of point scaling is just about right; pretty slow and not super substantial in a lot of boards, but with the right other combo cards these could be worth a ton (like Merchant Guild or Academy). This card is also missing the Liaison type, as it can gain you Favors independently of other token cards, but that’s just a simple typo and nothing much to be worried about.

Xen3k

Goldfish Peddler: This is another one of my favorite individual cards from this contest. It acts as a village with an increased search space, but it has a couple of drawbacks. First, if it doesn’t reveal any Actions, you don’t get to cantrip it or get an extra action. This drawback can matter especially if you have drawn your deck but need extra actions to play some terminal payload. The second more situational drawback is that it might result in you playing some Actions in an undesirable order. For instance if this reveals only a Militia, but you had intended to play that Militia after drawing with Council Rooms. It’s definitely not going to come up often but it is something to keep in mind. And on top of that this card fits well into its pile by letting you rearrange the card order for the next 2 cards in line. All in all this is an amazing card, it’s very hard to design good village cards that don’t cost $4 and you succeeded greatly with this one.

Lantern Vendor: I’m very happy you adjusted the strength of this card, especially the strength of its “miss” case. Now when it does hit an Action you get that “woohoo” feeling more. If it misses you’re at least still able to search pretty deep into your deck for a specific card you might really need, and of course set things up for other Lantern Vendors or Noodle Cooks.

Noodle Cook: A cantrip that acts as either a Lab or a double Peddler, depending on what it hits on top. Being the third card in the split pile is very necessary to make this card work, otherwise it seems way too good on a 5/2 split on many boards. Even still, this card is very strong, as either effect is definitely worth the $5. I wouldn’t call it overpowered though, especially with the strength of some of the Renaissance and Menagerie cards. The only change I might suggest is to change the wording for it to not give +$2 when the deck is empty. I think that change would make deciding your play order very interesting, especially with Goldfish Peddler also in the mix.

Festival Square: Another card that serves very well as a bottom card in a rotating split pile, otherwise it would definitely compare too well to Hunting Grounds and maybe be too good of a money enabler? Not sure about that. Anyways, I think this card is alright. It doesn’t synergize with the rest of the pile much beyond removing your non-Action cards to help the others hit their targets more. But given how much synergy the rest of this pile has with itself, I think that’s okay.

Binbag420

Bounty: A duration treasure that acts as a pseudo village. Personally I like this implementation more than Contract, as the option to play this every turn can be really useful with ways to reorder the top of your deck. I would like this card even more if somewhere else in the pile had ways to help you trigger its effect.

Huntsman: This is a $4 Oasis that can gain more cards in its pile. Given that the actual Oasis costs $3 and is fairly weak, I think this card could use a boost. One idea is to maybe let Huntsman gain Gatherers onto the deck, thus setting them up for either Bounty or Huntress. But hey, it can gain $5 and $6 Actions sometimes so that’s still pretty good.

Huntress: This card gives you 4 options of how to play it, and I see all 4 of them being used at least sometimes. Trashing is obviously good for the DTX portion, but failing that it can still act as a pseudo Lab. I can’t think of much else to say, it seems decently strong for its price and provides you with a lot of versatility, which is nice.

Deerstalker: This card is way too susceptible to random deck ordering in my opinion. Because there are only 4 of these, you’re likely to only have 1-2 on average, meaning there will be times that your other Gatherers come up first and make these substantially worse. This could also have issues in multiplayer as well; if everyone has a Bounty in a 4 player game then these are going to make you discard multiple cards.

Gamer3000

Compass: More type interaction! This looks good in the opening just as a standard thrasher, being on par with Investment or Goat. Later on you can use it for some big Action gains with the help of Chest, which can also trigger the Reaction on Merchandise. It can also get you a little extra cash if you immediately follow it up with another Loot, which will always be the case with Chest. I think this card is quite strong and offers a lot of choice in what it can be used for.

Chest: Newer Dominion expansions (mostly Allies) seem to be pushing for more Treasure playing in the Action phase. And I am all for it. Besides its obvious synergy with Compass, this can be used in combination with other Kingdom Treasures with special effects like Quarry and War Chest. That’s about all I have for this one, it’s also really fun.

Merchandise: I already love the normal Grand Market as well as Sheepdog, and this one looks just as good as those. It can obviously be activated off of the earlier Compass + Chest combo, but it also works with other gainers too.

Ancient Texts: This card looks on the weak side to me. I think that for a $6 at the bottom of a split pile, you can afford to go a little stronger. Simply changing this from +2 Cards to +3 Cards should make that happen, this way you’re more likely to draw into your desired Treasure to double play, and since the attack portion is fairly weak (which is fine) the extra draw helps provide more benefit to the attacker.

TheRedKnight

Healthcare Sector: Currently the forum isn’t displaying an image, but with spineflu’s help I was able to find this card along with the others on reddit, so I’m going to take it this should be the first card: https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/wueov6/fan_cards_rotate_pile_theme_communication_sector/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
I think the power level of this one is okay, it’s a bit slow like Ratcatcher, but makes up for it by being able to trash multiple cards while giving some coin as well. I do worry that this is a bit susceptible to shuffle luck in the same way Transmogrify is (that is, it’s way better to draw this on turn 3 than turn 4), especially since this can trash up to 3 cards. I do also like how it counters junking attacks slightly by letting you get the full extra $3 off of just 1 Curse, it just feels a bit awkward here since you aren’t guaranteed to have Curses being dispensed all the time, but the other bonus makes up for that well enough.

Real Estate Sector: This, like Chateau, can act as some pretty substantial payload if you’re able to maintain having a significant amount of Victory cards in your deck, while also being one itself to help out with that. I’m not sure it needs to be a Peddler if it only reveals one, but it definitely isn’t overpowered if it is, so it’s probably fine. The points on this are unlikely to amount to much (only 2 are possible guaranteed and likely to not be more than 3) but for a playable Victory card that’s definitely appropriate.

Communication Services Sector: Like with Mountain Hall, I think the reaction portion of this causes its power to fluctuate randomly, and since nothing else in the pile helps get this into your starting hand (Industrial Sector sets it aside, so that doesn’t work) this seems like another card with a huge benefit if you just happen to randomly have it in your starting hand. I feel like I should also mention I’m not a huge fan of Moat or Black Cat either, reactions that occur from the starting hand exclusively feel too random to me without extra support to help them be there.

Industrial Sector: I think you could afford to go stronger on this one. The double Village effect can be useful but since you’ll only get that every other turn it makes it difficult to play around. And comparing to cards like Artisan or Altar, this is limited to gaining only once every other turn, while also being the bottom card of a split pile. I think that this would be significantly better if it discarded itself from play at the start of the next turn like Highwayman does, that way the extra actions would be easier to make use of.

X-tra

Statuette: I initially underestimated this one, thinking about it only in the context of buying cards. But since this is a Reaction, you can trigger it multiple times a turn if you manage to gain cards during your Action Phase, which is always possible to an extent due to the next 2 cards in line. This seems like Tunnel in that it’s usually on the weak side but it will infrequently have a board where you can go absolutely nuts and trigger its reaction several times. It also helps that all the Statue cards have 3-4 types to up your payload when gaining them. Great job with this one!

Bust: Having a stop card that takes 2 turns to gain a copy of the first card you play on the second turn seems like a fair drawback for the fact that there is no cost restriction on what it gain. This card is also well done.

Hero’s Effigy: This one is really simple. Gaining Gold is a nice back up option if you’re not ready for more Victory cards yet or if one of the cheaper Statues is on top. This is also really helpful in triggering Statuette’s reaction. Another solid card.

Golden Sculpture: Everything Harem wished it could be. Considering how good Platinum is, this also seems like a reasonable strength level to me.

IlstrawberrySeed

The concept of a split pile with existing Kingdom cards is a very fun one, although I think it would function better without non-Supply cards like the Zombies + extra blanks. The main problem here for me though is the first card itself being nearly identical to Pawn. I think a more interesting approach would be to have the top card be something that encourages/rewards the diversity brought upon by its 3 companion cards.

LTaco

Kintsugi: I really like the scoring condition on this, but I dislike how it impacts the opening. By replacing a Copper with what is effectively a Silver (at least for the opening) you’re adjusting the possible openings to 5/3 or 4/4. The problem is that a 5/3 is going to be far better than the 4/4 the majority of the time, moreso than the overal difference between 5/2 and 4/3. Things like Baker, Desperation, or Borrow that modify the possible opening splits work due to their element of choice, being able to choice which of your 2 hands the extra money goes into guarantees you hit $5 (or even $6 in the case of Desperation). With an extra Silver instead of a Copper though, that extra money is all up to chance. Personally I think you could drop the extra Action phase money portion and the card would be a good Heirloom with the rest.

Conservator: The top part of this seems okay to me, however I think the reaction part is too good for reasons others have pointed out. With trash-for-benefit cards like Salvager, Remodel, or Apprentice, you’re able to effectively exile your Provinces and receive the full benefits of the other cards. The fact that this remains in your hand every time makes this even stronger. If you limited it to non-Victory cards you could avoid this problem while still allowing you to send lots of differently named cards to your Curio mat.
Curator: The Action and coin options both seem very weak in comparison to the Victory card option. Draw is generally a more powerful bonus than coins or Actions, Victory cards are the ones you’d most want to put onto the mat anyways, and the pile guarantees that you’ll have at least 6 different Victory cards available to you in the game. I do like the concept of a bonus that scales with the cards you have set aside, but using card types doesn’t seem like the right way to go about it.

Vitrine: I actually really like this one, it seems like a fixed version of Island. Much like Distant Lands, it provides you with the dilemma of having to first play the card in order to earn points off of it, and provides you with a further challenge of needing an expensive card (likely Province or Colony) to pair with it. But the payoff is good enough to make these restrictions worthwhile. Nice job on this one.

Wunderkammer: First off, I’m not entirely sure I understand your wording on this. I’m interpreting it as “differently named” to mean any amount of 1 card and “unique” to mean “exactly 1 of a card” (basically like how the Heirloom works).  I hope that’s right. Anyways, I feel like considering this card’s whopping price of $16, it scales too slowly to be worth it most of the time. Because you need to both afford a high price point while setting aside many differently named cards, on top of dealing with opponents possibly rotating the pile, I think it will be too slow to pursue these. I think a cheaper spin on the same idea would work out better ($16 is a seriously high price).

Xyz123

Musician: Without a discard pile this is just a terminal silver, and even with one I still feel that this effect is too similar to Scavenger. With some sort of backup effect like Mountain Village has, both of these problems would be addressed.

Thespian: Very simple, but seems pretty good. Double villages are a rare thing in Dominion and I think this is a great way to address the problem of a “standard” double village being too good for $4 but too weak for $5. Nice job on this one.

Illusionist: Even though this is below two other cards in a split pile, that doesn’t seem like enough of a drawback for this card to cost the same as a Lab. Even in the “miss” case you’re getting to sift an extra card, which is pretty substantial. This being easier to activate than Wishing Well also makes the double Lab payout way too good for just a $5.

Director: This one seems weak to me. The main benefit of a Command card like Overlord is your flexibility to play whatever you need at that moment, but this is hampered by needing the card in play already. Barring some expensive Action cards or Platinum being around, I don’t think this will see much use at $6. Honestly, I would start off by just swapping the costs of this and Illusionist, and then see how things go from there.

MrHiTech

Worshiper: Cool concept, but because this is the only card that rotates the split pile (barring Priest’s reaction which you cannot make use of during your own turns) it seems too difficult to make this a reliable enough bonus. Also I think you should reduce the variance between the bonuses (there is a huge difference between gaining Wishes and getting 2 extra buys). Conditions like this are fun, but only if you have a good amount of control over what they can turn up as (for example, consider the differences between Ironmonger and Tribute).

Priest: This is already the name of an official card, but that’s not a big concern (you could just change it to Clergyman or something). I like the on play effect quite a lot, it seems pretty good for $4. The reaction seems… potentially nasty. Because it only triggers when other players play a Faithful, people are most likely going to use this to screw up their opponents’ Worshipers (which further adds to the complications of using that card). If the reaction were changed to only be when you play a Faithful, I think that would be much nicer. You could even make it a discard to play reaction instead to synergize well with Cleric.

Cleric: A cantrip curser for $5 with the drawback of needing to discard a specific type of action card to dish out the curse. It probably isn’t super strong, but is likely pretty close to Sorcerer/Sorceress, so it seems appropriate at $5. As I said earlier I think this would be really cool with a discard reaction on Priest, as you could get the full benefit of both cards.

Deity: A mini-champion only for the Deity pile. This should have some adjusted wording to show its effects happen for the rest of the game (see Champion or Hireling). This seems decently strong, and I really like that it can’t gain other Deities (that would definitely snowball too much). It seems pretty strong but for a $6 at the bottom of a split pile I think it’s a fair price.

J410

Stone of Transformation: I think this card is way too slow considering it’s a stop card. A way to fix that could be to let it trash multiple cards from your hand, but then it faces the same problem as Transmogrify that I mentioned earlier.

Stone of Improvement: I think this one is pretty cool. Being able to just use it as a Silver is a good enough base use case, and it avoids the whole $4 Silver problem by still limiting your purchase a little bit (there needs to be a card costing $2 less with a matching type) and also by being in a split pile. It also seems really good to use this in combination with gainers, especially those that gain to hand. I think if this pile featured a gain to hand card, this would be even better, but it’s rock solid (haha) as is.

Stone of Preparation: Gaining Reserve cards to the Tavern mat is a great concept, but this card looks a little too expensive to be able to do that quickly enough. In many games it will be limited to gaining only Stones which rotate slower than normal due to how Stone of Transformation works. I think that if it had a stronger second option that it would work a little better. The call ability is obviously a nice counter to discard attacks like Guide is, but seems much more limited because you can only use it a few times before being unable to do it anymore (without help from Stone of Repetition).

Stone of Repetition: Another great concept that seems too slow/expensive to actually work out in practice. I wish Reserve cards were a mainstay type like Durations are because cards like this would be so much fun if they had more targets to hit. I think the main problem with this effect in this pile is that there isn’t a huge benefit to doubling up on the call abilities. Preparation makes you re-discard your hand and you can’t activate Improvement twice on the same gain (since exchanging for a card is not gaining it). Transformation would help a little but by the time you’d have that set up trashing an extra card just wouldn’t do enough.

Scott_pilgrim

Vikings: Since these cards are all quite similar I’ll just group them together. I do think that Valhalla is priced fairly since the on-gain effect makes it much more difficult to obtain multiple of them than Provinces (Provinces also obviously have the game end condition tied to them, whereas these do not). The main problem I see with this pile is that the third card will likely be skipped over most of the time. Starting off with a Novice, you can either not rotate and gain another Novice (which of course doesn’t accomplish anything) so you would rotate and gain a Privateer. The next turn you could either rotate and gain a Paladin, or a Valhalla, and then rotate back into Novices. Unless a player chooses to gain the lower value Paladin for themselves, this cycle will never stop until all the Valhallas are gone. I think that a pile like this is interesting and could work out, but the rotations need to be reworked to make all 4 cards have more equal appearances.

NoMoreFun

Carousel: The constant rotation is an interesting spin on the mechanic, and it’s also very thematically fitting. However my big problem here is the first turn you play the Carousel. $3 and a buy for $2 with no drawbacks is too much. Stockpile already makes hitting high price points in the early game easy, and while I do actually like Stockpile, the problem with this card is how lopsided it would make 5/2 splits on many boards. I dislike cards like Sentry for the same reason; although you’ll always have boards where 5/2 is better and where 4/3 is better, this card makes 5/2 too consistently dominant.

Juggler: This provides you with some good flexibility and allows you to thin your deck at a good rate. I also like how the Juggler provides you with 3 options and jugglers typically juggle 3 balls at a time. I don’t know if that was intentional or not but it’s a nice touch if it was.

Slippery Dip: Another card that provides rotation seems like a good idea in a pile like this where the cards are going to be spinning all the time. The Festival like option is also nice with Juggler’s DTX portion. A simple card, but it seems very appropriate here.

Funhouse: Now this is a cool effect, kinda like Elder (which I also really like). Now your Slippery Dip villages can become Lost Cities and your Carousels can draw you even more cards. I don’t have much else to say about this one, I really like it.

Arowdok

Water: Very simple, I like the tie-in to the water boons from Nocturne. The power level of this seems fine. It doesn’t really synergize with the rest of the pile much though, but that’s not the end of the world.

Earth: This looks a little weak to me, as there aren’t as many high valued Treasures as there are Actions, and some Actions also have on trash bonuses that make them much better with Lurker. I think it would be interesting if this let you play the gained Treasure, as that would encourage using these for more mid cost Treasures like Quarry or HoP. The discard reaction is a nice bit of interactivity with the other 2 cards.

Fire: This card makes up for being a little late to gain by being a sort of “seek and destroy” thrasher, which is pretty on point thematically as well. As inconvenient as it may sound to reveal your cards one by one in person, what would most likely happen is that people would reveal their reactions all at once after they’re discarded. It’s clunky for sure, but I don’t think it really detracts much from the play value. One thing I think would be really cool for this card would be if another card in its pile cared about shuffles like Emissary does, since that’s a mechanic that hasn’t been explored much yet in the official cards.

Air: Again, even though this card is at the bottom of a split pile, I think it compares too well to Festival by letting you search through 2 extra cards. The biggest weakness of Festival is not so much that it decreases your handsize as much as it is not letting you draw to search for more draw cards to follow up with. I’m not sure how to adjust this card to make it not look so good in comparison to Festival.

Marpharos

Graper: This looks very weak and also really similar to Harvest. Even assuming the best case scenario of this hitting 2 differently named Victory cards, it’s just a non-terminal Silver that gives you a bit of sifting.

Vintner: A sort of double Peddler with the drawback of adding an extra Silver to your deck that you must continue to draw. A card like this would definitely make for some annoying money strategies on its own, but as a part of a split pile I don’t think that’s likely to happen. The reaction is actually pretty cool, although it doesn’t actually synergize with Graper much since you’ll have already gotten your $ payout before triggering the reaction on this. I like this card overall though.

Taverner: The whole reserve part of this card feels unnecessary to me, as it never makes sense to save the extra buys for a future turn when the card itself helps you draw. With that being said this card is effectively just +3 cards and +3 buys, which is probably okay for a $5 card but is rather uninteresting.

Sommelier: I’m not a huge fan of cards that provide VP without helping bring the game to an end. Monument and Plunder get away with this by providing you with extra money (which encourages purchasing cards) and being stop cards that only provide 1 VP each (and terminal in Monument’s case). I also dislike the idea of playing Victory cards as that messes with a lot of the official gainers in the game.

And without further ado, here are the results!

Honorable Mentions: 4est (Lodges), segura (Royals), NoMoreFun (Carnivals)

3rd place: Gamer3000 (Loots)
2nd place: Xen3k (Vendors)
Winner: X-tra (Statues)

Huge thanks to everyone who submitted, I'm surprised this many people were up for designing 4 cards this week! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take a well needed nap.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2022, 03:44:07 pm »

Scott_pilgrim

Vikings: Since these cards are all quite similar I’ll just group them together. I do think that Valhalla is priced fairly since the on-gain effect makes it much more difficult to obtain multiple of them than Provinces (Provinces also obviously have the game end condition tied to them, whereas these do not). The main problem I see with this pile is that the third card will likely be skipped over most of the time. Starting off with a Novice, you can either not rotate and gain another Novice (which of course doesn’t accomplish anything) so you would rotate and gain a Privateer. The next turn you could either rotate and gain a Paladin, or a Valhalla, and then rotate back into Novices. Unless a player chooses to gain the lower value Paladin for themselves, this cycle will never stop until all the Valhallas are gone. I think that a pile like this is interesting and could work out, but the rotations need to be reworked to make all 4 cards have more equal appearances.

I could be mistaken but I think your analysis here is off. Assume a non-mirror. First I get a Novice. Then I use it to gain a Privateer, and then return the Novice. Now the pile has a Novice, then 3 Privateers, then 4 Paladins, and then 4 Valhallas. When I play Privateer, the next card I can get is Paladin, not Valhalla. That was the intent anyway, that you would have to play all 3 in the non-mirror to get to Valhalla.

Edit: Although since there's only one Novice on top, you could buy it back before playing the Privateer to skip over Paladin. I think that's actually a valid concern.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:46:31 pm by scott_pilgrim »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2022, 08:55:37 pm »
+3

Oh uh, wow, thank you for the win! And thank you for having the guts to host a contest with which would inevitably have many many cards to look through. As a judge, I certainly would've felt intimidated by all these beautiful cards, lol. I'll post the contest tomorrow, probably.

Edit 2: Alright, here are the updated Statues. The scoring formula was changed on Hero's Effigy and Golden Sculpture to yield less . Hero's Efiigy has been nerfed, I found it to be a tad too strong before. Golden Sculpture now has the proper green/yellow colour scheme!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:01:28 am by X-tra »
Bottom text
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.