Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 42: Activation Cards  (Read 3828 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 42: Activation Cards
« on: August 16, 2022, 03:25:58 am »
+7

Note: There haven't been many responses on the question of whether we would do Set Expansion Contests for the new 2nd Editions or go back to the Fan Card Mechanics contests. I was team 2E, but since that doesn't seem to be happening I don't want to hold up the FCMC any longer. If there's a big outcry to go back to the Set Expansion contest, I'm fine to pause this one, but absent that, let's go.

For Week 42, I have chosen LastFootnote's Activation cards. Activation cards are playable cards which, in addition to any on-play effect, have a second effect which can be activated later. Once an Activation card is put into play, it will stay in play until the player "activates" it. This is done by spending an Action during your Action phase (as if to play an Action card from your hand). An Activation card can only be activated once per time in play, even if the card itself is played multiple times (i.e. with a throne variant).

EDIT: LastFootnote has provided a more up-to-date explanation of the mechanic (I've moved the original description to the bottom of the post for reference):

When you play an Activation card, follow the instructions above the dividing line. The card then stays in play until Clean-up on the turn you trigger it. You might trigger it the same turn you play it, one or more turns later, or not at all. You can trigger an Activation card by spending an Action in your Action phase whenever you're not actively resolving another effect. In other words, in your Action phase you can either use an Action "point" to play an Action card from your hand or to trigger an untriggered Activation card you have in play. An Activation card may only be triggered once per time it's put into play, regardless of how many times you played it (with e.g. Throne Room). This means that a Throne Room or similar card that plays an Activation card multiple times never stays out with the Activation card; there's nothing for it to track.

Activation cards don't have to be Actions. They can be any card type, as long as it has the potential to get into play (so it can be activated). For your convenience I made templates in the fan card generator for Action - Activation, as well as Treasure - Activation, and Night - Activation (but feel free to combine it with other types).

The assignment is simple. Design at least one Activation card. Feel free to use any official or fan mechanics (including split piles, Traveller lines, etc.) and any kind and number of supporting cards or landscapes (although if you go overboard with either it will likely count against you in the simplicity category). The design should also be limited to a single randomizer worth of card(s)/landscape(s).

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors for me are:
  • balance -- is the card useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms)
  • playability -- the card is fun to play and works in more than one type of deck
  • simplicity -- this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is hard to understand
  • topicality -- the card (or cards) uses the mechanic in an interesting way
The deadline for submissions will be 14:00 UTC / 10:00 a.m. Eastern/Forum time 22:00 UTC / 6:00 p.m. Eastern/Forum time on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here is LastFootnote's original description:

So I had an idea the other day for a new type of card: Activation. I even wrote a quick blurb:

These cards say “Activation” on the bottom line, i.e. "Action – Activation.” In addition to any effects these cards have when played or while in play, an Activation card has another effect that you can use by spending an Action. During your Action phase, instead of spending an Action to play an Action card from your hand, you may spend an Action to get the activation effect of an Activation card you already have in play.

Activation cards in play that have not yet been activated are not discarded during your Clean-up phase. They stay in play until activated and are discarded from play during the Clean-up phase of that turn.

Activation cards can only be activated once per time they are played. Once activated, they cannot be activated again until they have been removed from play and played again. Even if another card plays a single Activation card more than once, the activation effect can only be used once before the Activation card leaves play. Hence, if an Activation card is played twice by Throne Room, the Throne Room will be discarded from play normally during the Clean-up phase of that turn, whether or not the card it played has been activated.

In order to keep track of which Activation cards have been activated and which ones haven’t, when you play an Activation card from your hand, turn it 90° to the right. When you activate an Activation card, turn it right-side up. During your Clean-up phase, remember to only discard cards from play which are right-side up.

And here are some examples LastFootnote designed:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:00:58 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 42: Activation Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 11:16:39 am »

I thought I might try my hand at this;

I have withdrawn from the contest
An Activation Combo piece, works very well with itself. I don't feel very comfortable making this cost $6, but I can understand why it would need to be. I'd prefer this cost $5, otherwise.

Previous version:

+2 Cards
+1 Action
-
When you trigger this, reveal cards from your
deck until you reveal an Activation card.
Discard the rest, play it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 01:53:49 am by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 11:31:12 am »
+3

So it's a Laboratory that automatically searches for and plays all your other Laboratories, and then at the start of your next turn you can do it all again (since you don't trigger the final one). It also probably causes a crazy amount of shuffles as it does all this. I'd say that's worth far more than $6.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 11:33:35 am »
+5

Here's a more up-to-date explanation of Activation cards:

When you play an Activation card, follow the instructions above the dividing line. The card then stays in play until Clean-up on the turn you trigger it. You might trigger it the same turn you play it, one or more turns later, or not at all. You can trigger an Activation card by spending an Action in your Action phase whenever you're not actively resolving another effect. In other words, in your Action phase you can either use an Action "point" to play an Action card from your hand or to trigger an untriggered Activation card you have in play. An Activation card may only be triggered once per time it's put into play, regardless of how many times you played it (with e.g. Throne Room). This means that a Throne Room or similar card that plays an Activation card multiple times never stays out with the Activation card; there's nothing for it to track.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:35:54 am by LastFootnote »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 11:45:52 am »
+2

Smithing Academy • $5 • Action - Duration - Activation
When you play this, +5 Cards. This card stays in play until activated.
-
Activation costs an Action per Smithing Academy you have in play. When you trigger this, discard it.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 11:54:11 am »

So it's a Laboratory that automatically searches for and plays all your other Laboratories, and then at the start of your next turn you can do it all again (since you don't trigger the final one). It also probably causes a crazy amount of shuffles as it does all this. I'd say that's worth far more than $6.

That's fair. I'll take off the +Action or a +Card, and go from there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:58:43 am by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 12:19:02 pm »

Here's a more up-to-date explanation of Activation cards:

Thanks!
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 12:31:45 pm »
+1

-
Activation costs an Action per Smithing Academy you have in play. When you trigger this, discard it.

This card overcomplicates the staying in play. Activation cards already automatically stay in play until triggered. So you can simply say
$5 Action - Activation
+5 Cards
-
Triggering this costs an Action per Smithing Academy you have in play. When you trigger this, discard it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 07:54:03 pm »
+3

-

This card overcomplicates the staying in play. Activation cards already automatically stay in play until triggered. So you can simply say
$5 Action - Activation
+5 Cards
-
Triggering this costs an Action per Smithing Academy you have in play. When you trigger this, discard it.

In addition, the original point of Activation cards was to have cards that took two actions to play that wouldn't be dead without a village. This isn't dead without a village, but you can get stuck in a situation where it's impossible to trigger. Maybe that's fine with you, dunno. But I would say that it's probably balanced if you only need the normal one action to trigger it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 10:56:32 am »
+9

Grand Workshop
Action/Activation - $4
This turn, when you gain a card, you may put it onto your deck.

Note: You can only topdeck the card you gain with the Activation effect if you play and activate it in the same turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 11:37:23 am »

Grand Workshop
Action/Activation - $4
This turn, when you gain a card, you may put it onto your deck.

Note: You can only topdeck the card you gain with the Activation effect if you play and activate it in the same turn.

Or if you play another copy of it and then trigger it.

In any case, cool card!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 02:34:52 pm »
+8

Bottom text

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 11:38:05 pm »
+6

Golden Fish - $3
Treasure - Activation
+1 Coffers
----
When you trigger this, if you have 7 or more cards in hand, discard down to 3 cards in hand and exchange this for a Wish. Otherwise, draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

Inspired by the fable of the Fisherman and a Fish. A treasure that can be triggered to draw to 6 cards or to exchange it for a Wish with some work. I think the price is reasonable as it takes other cards and work to exchange it for a Wish. However, feedback would be appreciated.

I like how this mechanic works similar to Reserve cards. I think it is unique enough to be its own thing.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:47:30 pm by Xen3k »

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 12:45:25 am »
+8

Colleague
$3 Action - Activation
Discard 2 cards.

When you trigger this, +3 Cards and +1 Action.

If you help your Colleague now, your Colleague will help you when you need it.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 04:09:44 pm »
+4

My submission: Toll Bridge

Toll Bridge • $5 • Action - Activation
+1 Action

While this is in play,
cards cost $1 less on your turns.

At the start of your turn,
if this is in play, draw a card,
then discard a non-Victory card.
-
When you trigger this,
+1 Buy, +$1

Edit: I wasn't happy with the design, so I went back to it. Now, the start-of-turn cost is milder, allowing me to bump the price to $5 and avoid the direct comparison to Bridge. Also added the 'on your turns' clause (thanks, Gubump). This all makes it even wordier, but so be it.

Old version:

Considerations (for the old version): A bit wordy, but the concept is simple: a Bridge you can leave in play as long as you like, at a cost. Comparing to regular Bridge, Toll Bridge gives more flexibility. You can always use it as a regular Bridge if you like, but if you're happy to leave it in play (and forego the +$ and +Buy), Toll Bridge is non-terminal. I still think $4 is right because you can't throne Toll Bridge.

This is definitely one I wish I could playtest before submitting, but alas, no time this week. I considered changing the start-of-turn cost to a self-Rabble, which could open up some strategies, but the card is cluttered enough as it is.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:34:34 pm by Dubdubdubdub »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 02:05:41 pm »
+2

Colleague
$3 Action - Activation
Discard 2 cards.

Amusingly, LastFootnote, the creator of the Activation mechanic, actually has a card with this exact effect except with +2 Actions instead of +1 (and costs ).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 02:13:41 pm »

Toll Bridge • $4 • Action - Activation
+1 Action

While this is in play,
cards cost $1 less.

if this is in play, discard a card.
-
When you trigger this,
+1 Buy, +$1

A bit wordy, but the concept is simple: a Bridge you can leave in play as long as you like, at a steep cost. Comparing to regular Bridge, Toll Bridge gives more flexibility. You can always use it as a regular Bridge if you like, but if you're happy to leave it in play (and forego the +$ and +Buy), Toll Bridge is non-terminal. I still think $4 is right because you can't throne Toll Bridge.

This is definitely one I wish I could playtest before submitting, but alas, no time this week. I considered changing the start-of-turn cost to a self-Rabble, which could open up some strategies, but the card is cluttered enough as it is.

Is the fact that this benefits your opponents intentional?

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 03:00:35 pm »

+1 Action

While this is in play,
cards cost $1 less.

-
When you trigger this,
+1 Buy, +$1

A bit wordy, but the concept is simple: a Bridge you can leave in play as long as you like, at a steep cost. Comparing to regular Bridge, Toll Bridge gives more flexibility. You can always use it as a regular Bridge if you like, but if you're happy to leave it in play (and forego the +$ and +Buy), Toll Bridge is non-terminal. I still think $4 is right because you can't throne Toll Bridge.

Oh gosh, no! That's an oversight, I'll fix it soon. Thanks for noticing.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 03:13:58 pm »

+1 Action

While this is in play,
cards cost $1 less.

-
When you trigger this,
+1 Buy, +$1

Oh gosh, no! That's an oversight, I'll fix it soon. Thanks for noticing.

Another thing I just noticed: You can trigger it immediately to get the same effect as Bridge, which makes it almost strictly better than Bridge for the same price (only way it isn't strictly better is that the +1 Buy and +$1 can't be Throned).

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 03:17:20 pm »

That part is intentional, and I touched on it in my post. I think $4 is basically the right price, but it does outshine Bridge in most cases.

I'd like to temper the start-of-turn cost and raise the cost to $5. I'm thinking 'draw a card and discard a non-Victory card'. It's a lot of text, but it probably needs it.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 05:58:16 pm »
+2

24 Hour Warning!!!

Sorry I missed this (I'll extend the deadline). I'm out of town and not on my computer as much as I usually do. Here are the entries so far:

Smithing Academy by spineflu
Grand Workshop by NoMoreFun
Librarian by X-tra
Golden Fish by Xen3k
Colleague by Erick648
Toll Bridge by Dubdubdubdub

Please let me know if I missed any. The new deadline is 22:00 UTC / 6:00 p.m. Eastern/Forum time on Tuesday, August 23, 2022.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:01:32 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 09:01:42 pm »
+2

Trading House - Action - Activation - Cost: 3

+2 Cards
+1 Action
-
When you trigger this, discard it.

Feedback is appreciated.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 09:38:20 pm »

you can omit my entry from judgment, its got some clear issues but also i'm not going to make time to fix it

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 01:16:01 am »
+3

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 05:32:55 pm »

Colleague
$3 Action - Activation
Discard 2 cards.

Amusingly, LastFootnote, the creator of the Activation mechanic, actually has a card with this exact effect except with +2 Actions instead of +1 (and costs ).
What's even funnier is that I was this close to giving Colleague another +1 Action, albeit in the on-play ability rather than the on-trigger ability.  I didn't want to make the on-trigger ability a village because my idea for the card is that you're saving draw for later---there are already plenty of ways to save +Actions for later (e.g., Coin of the Realm).  I decided against making it non-terminal because I didn't want to make it too easy for a deck with virtual coin and inadequate thinning to spam Colleagues until you ran out of cards in your hand.  I also considered making it a Treasure or Night card (for the equivalent of an on-play +Action) but letting you play your Treasures first made it even easier to play it when you had no useful cards left in your hand.  While I don't have a problem with the card having edge cases where a deck with virtual coin (or Villa, Calvary, Black Market, etc.) can "cheat" by playing it with only 0-1 cards left to discard (you can already do that with cards like Horse Traders), I didn't want to make that too easy.  Also, I thought the terminal version felt balanced enough---even as a terminal, I think I'd buy it most games to add a copy or two to my engine before greening and/or try to keep a copy in play as "dud insurance."

Colleague actually started out with the on-play and on-trigger abilities swapped, so you got the benefit now and the cost later (effectively "borrowing" draw from later), but that was too much like Experiment---the only difference is that it's concentrated in a single card and you get it back by spending an Action and two cards instead of by spending a Buy and $3.  Then I think it was briefly a Night card with its final text, which I rejected for the reasons discussed above.  I also toyed with having it give +2 Cards and +2 Actions on one "side" and only discarding one card on the other side, but I ultimately decided that it was more interesting if it only "stored" +Cards rather than +Actions.  Even though this version gives you the benefit later, I don't think that makes it weaker because you can use it when you need it most and save it if you wind up not needing it.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.