Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Heroes  (Read 2701 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Dominion: Heroes
« on: August 01, 2022, 08:56:26 pm »
+13

DOMINON: HEROES     

Things are getting out of hand. This morning, you had to squish another bat-winged eyeball on your way out of bed. And what was that in your soup at the royal buffet? A mutant tarantula? That does it. Soup is not to be disrespected. There’s an invasion right now. For once, your pesky neighbors aren’t to blame: rather, we are dealing here with waves upon waves of sharp toothed creatures. “Monsters”, so your peasants call them. No one knows where these devilish fiends came from, but you know where they’ll end up: under the steel caps of your boots.

It would be unrealistic to chase away these outliers on your own. Well, in the few quiet and uninterrupted dreams you have, that’s already a done deal. But the reality is, you had to get creative. You funded corps of blood thirsty mercenaries, “Saviors” – again, to borrow the word of the population. Those Saviors have a mission: to fill up their XP bar, to level up, to loot and to gear up from the corpses of these slayed Monsters. And hey, if that can contain the invasion all the while, mission accomplished for you too. To sip your soup in utter peace is a dream shared by every monarch after all.

Heroes:
Heroes is a full-sized fan expansion for Dominion. It features 30 Kingdom cards, 20 Events and 16 Monsters (what are Monsters??? Read more to find out!) This set’s mechanics include:
  • Recursive Duration cards.
  • A heavy focus on trashing, with a fair share of cards caring about being trashed.
  • The main gimmick, Saviors, Strength and Monsters, coming with a custom manual mat (again, read more to find out).
Here you can find:
I have been working on this set for more than a year now. I think more work has been put into this than my previous expansion, New World, but truth be told, there was way more stuff to test and get right with Heroes. Still, I hope you enjoy the high standards this expansion hopes to achieve. Feel free to leave any comments!

Meet the Saviors, the Monsters, Strength and your trusty manual:
  • Saviors are Kingdom cards that gives access to the new resource in some form. We call it Strength.

• Setup: When one or more Saviors are in the Supply, randomly select 4 Monster cards: One costing , one costing , one costing and one costing . Make 4 Supply piles with 10 copies for each of these Monsters (or 8 or 12 if it’s also a Victory card, like Ent). Indeed, Saviors mean there will be 14 Kingdom cards instead of the usual 10. Each player takes a manual mat of their color (see picture below).

• is a resource used to buy Monster cards. As an extra resource, it follows the same rules as and . During your buy phase, you can spend and a buy to buy a Monster. For instance, if you have 1 Buy and , you could buy a Carnivorous Plant or a Silver, but not both (you’d need 2 buys).

• Monsters are gained and discarded from play directly to your manual. This means when you buy a Monster, it’ll go directly to your manual without visiting your discard pile. When you discard cards from play during Clean-up, put your Monsters in play back into your manual.

• Monsters can be played during your turns as if they were in your hand (they’re not, but they follow the same rules). Action Monsters can be played during your Action phase at the cost of an Action, and Treasure Monsters can be played during your Buy phase like other Treasures are played. Victory Monsters cannot be played at all. Essentially, it’s as if they are cards that are always in your hand each turn, and they do not decrease your hand size too!

• Your manual can hold 4 Monsters. If a Monster tries to enter your manual but it’s already full, return a Monster from your manual to its Supply pile, or return the Monster you’re trying to add to your manual to its Supply pile. You can be tricky and juggle more than 4 Monster however, especially with Duration Monsters.

• Since they are Supply piles, emptying Monster piles counts toward 3-pile ending. This usually won’t happen though, since they have a tendency of returning themselves to their pile. They can be gained with other neat non-Strength tricks too, like trashing a Squire to gain a Dragon, or using a Tragic Hero to gain a Mimic.

• Although rare, Monsters can accidentally enter your deck. This is the case if you, say, use Watchtower to topdeck a Monster you just gained. Still, when played from your hand, they’ll go to your manual on this turn’s Clean-up (discarded from play to your manual).

Click the picture to enlarge it.

Cards/Landscapes:

Special thanks:
Heroes has received the much-needed help from Crlundy, Gubump, LastFootnote and MochaMoko during many many play testing sessions. Without them, Heroes would be in a pretty sad state. Likewise, I received the helpful comments from many kind souls in the #variants channel of the Dominion Discord server. Heroes greatly benefited from these advices. Thank you to everyone involved for all of your help!

And last but not least, for anyone who comments here to give your opinions and muses: thank you! It’s always super encouraging and prompts me to do more Dominion fan-related work. :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:40:19 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:44:47 am »
+1

Mistakes in the Rulebook:
  • Campfire FAQ claims Barracks is from Prosperity instead of Renaissance.
  • Grindstone FAQ claims is cheaper than .
  • Pikemen FAQ has multiple grammar mistakes. In the first sentence, the plurality of "player" doesn't agree with "are"; i.e. it should say "after each other player is done discarding their card. Also, "or not" should follow "gain a copy of that discarded card"; "decide if you want them to gain a copy of that discarded card or not." Next sentence should be "you can make different choices for different players"; plurality inconsistency again. Finally, the next sentence should say "if one of them discards a Copper.
  • Last bullet point in Troll FAQ omits a word: "That trashed Copper might even be..."
  • Apostrophe left out in "turns" in first bullet point of Kraken FAQ. Also, 4th bullet point (the one about playing Krakens out of turn) should end with "then they all take their extra turns in turn order."
  • The bullet point in Undead's FAQ that says that "if you trash a card and it isn't yours...then Undead does not trigger" is incorrect. As Undead is worded, it only says "the next time you trash a card." That wording does not care if the trashed card was yours, only that you trashed a card.
  • Crystallize FAQ bullet point about not being able to queue further extra turns should say "this effectively nullifies" instead of "this effectively nullify."
  • Overwork FAQ claims that you cannot use it to replay cards that have left play but returned to play; since Overwork does not qualify that you must "still" have the target card in play, you can actually do that (it does simply say that "you may not play cards that have left play that turn", but I'd clarify that you can play them if they've returned to play since).
  • Omitted word in Refurbish FAQ: "Even if you have a bigger handsize than normal..."
  • 2nd bullet point for Rest FAQ doesn't capitalize Rest like it should. Also, omitted word in bullet point about having cards in hand after a successful Rest buy: "You will still draw a card when another player plays a Council Room..."

As worded, Tactics allows you to discard e.g. other players' Informants, since it only says "from play" rather than "that you have in play." I assume from the FAQ for it that that's unintentional.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 03:33:47 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:41:21 am »

I really like Clan, best $3 Smithy- I ever saw.
Watermill looks slightly too good compared to Oasis. I guess it is a $4.
Pitfall looks pretty strong. Sure, Den of Sin immediately draws after gaining but I feel this does too much (non-terminal draw, extra Buy, Monsters).
Crawling Claws is also too good. It is basically a Lab when you pair it with the Savior. Imagine this is in the same Kingdom with Kobold.

Thank you for your input!

Watermill is in a strange place because, as good as a cantrip trasher sounds, the discarding really puts it in an awkward place. You don't get to do much with your leftover hand in the early game, and at least with cards like Steward, you get to trash twice, giving you a bigger tempo boost than Watermill.

Pitfall's Duration draw is appealing, especially slapped onto a Treasure. The problem, however, is that it is not a good Savior. It provides only 1 turn out of 2, and costs , a big hurdle for you to want to get early Fairies and such.

Crawling Claws is pretty damn good, no disagreement here. Best Monster by a fair margin.

Mistakes in the Rulebook:

Thank you for taking the time to double check what my scatter brain couldn’t find :P . I have already edited the rulebook to apply your suggested changes.

Likewise, I changed Clan (“in” -> “into”). I also edited Tactics to disallow you being able to discard other players’ cards in play. I have no idea how I did not catch that one, RIP.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 11:22:19 am »
+1

Mistakes in rulebook v2.0:
  • 2nd bullet point in Undead FAQ still incorrectly says "as long as that card is yours."
  • Rest FAQ bullet point about drawing after a successful Rest buy still omits the word "when" in "you will still draw a card when another player plays a Council Room."

Mistake in Secret History: The picture for Witch-Hunt is Games a 2nd time.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 12:54:50 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 03:57:34 pm »
+1

I don't understand Cloister. Does "play it" refer to playing the Cloister, or playing the Victory Card? If playing the Victory Card, what exactly does playing a Victory Card do? I mean if it's an Action-Victory then you get the benefit of saving an Action over playing it normally. But otherwise, what's the point? And does the Cloister stay set-aside forever?

*Edit* Ok, now I'm pretty sure it means play the Cloister again; discarding the victory card is just there to nerf the re-playing of Cloister slightly, so you can't trash the only Estate you have early on. But is it necessary to set the Cloister aside to replay it? Wouldn't "you may play this again" work just the same and be clearer? If the concern is for a Cloister that has left play, the regular lose-track rule, combined with the newish rule that you can't play lost cards, should be all you need.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 04:16:20 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 06:15:39 pm »
+1

I don't understand Cloister. Does "play it" refer to playing the Cloister, or playing the Victory Card? If playing the Victory Card, what exactly does playing a Victory Card do? I mean if it's an Action-Victory then you get the benefit of saving an Action over playing it normally. But otherwise, what's the point? And does the Cloister stay set-aside forever?

*Edit* Ok, now I'm pretty sure it means play the Cloister again; discarding the victory card is just there to nerf the re-playing of Cloister slightly, so you can't trash the only Estate you have early on. But is it necessary to set the Cloister aside to replay it? Wouldn't "you may play this again" work just the same and be clearer? If the concern is for a Cloister that has left play, the regular lose-track rule, combined with the newish rule that you can't play lost cards, should be all you need.

The "set aside" clause of Cloister, I really wish I could've done without, but unfortunately, Throne Room exists. 3/4 into the making of Heroes, I had to change the wording of Cloister to deal with Throne variants. The problem is, you could Throne a Cloister. Next turn, you could decide, on your first play, to discard a Victory card to trash a card from your hand, and on your second play, to not replay Cloister. The end result is a Cloister that is now replayed once each turn, but with a Throne Room still attached to it. Thus, a tracking issue arises. The worst offender is Citadel, which may add an extra Cloister play (or not) each turn, making it so easy for you to loose track of how many times you may or may not replay Cloister. The set aside clause effectively forces Cloister to detach itself from any Throne Room that may linger with it.

Admittedly, it's not a big deal, because who would want to trash that much constantly from their starting hand? Still, in the end, I decided to be thorough about it. Maybe the massacred wording made Cloister not such a great addition to Heroes in the end.
Bottom text

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 11:34:24 pm »

The "set aside" clause of Cloister, I really wish I could've done without, but unfortunately, Throne Room exists. 3/4 into the making of Heroes, I had to change the wording of Cloister to deal with Throne variants. The problem is, you could Throne a Cloister. Next turn, you could decide, on your first play, to discard a Victory card to trash a card from your hand, and on your second play, to not replay Cloister. The end result is a Cloister that is now replayed once each turn, but with a Throne Room still attached to it. Thus, a tracking issue arises. The worst offender is Citadel, which may add an extra Cloister play (or not) each turn, making it so easy for you to loose track of how many times you may or may not replay Cloister. The set aside clause effectively forces Cloister to detach itself from any Throne Room that may linger with it.

Admittedly, it's not a big deal, because who would want to trash that much constantly from their starting hand? Still, in the end, I decided to be thorough about it. Maybe the massacred wording made Cloister not such a great addition to Heroes in the end.

Makes sense. Part of the confusion came from me not immediately realizing how discarding a victory card was relevant at all if Cloister was being replayed; thus thinking that maybe the victory card is being played instead. That's just my oversight; although it's not great if you need to grasp a design/strategic decision in order to fully understand the wording on the card. Maybe just find out if I'm the only one who was unclear about what "it" was referring to.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 12:00:38 pm »
+1

Makes sense. Part of the confusion came from me not immediately realizing how discarding a victory card was relevant at all if Cloister was being replayed; thus thinking that maybe the victory card is being played instead. That's just my oversight; although it's not great if you need to grasp a design/strategic decision in order to fully understand the wording on the card. Maybe just find out if I'm the only one who was unclear about what "it" was referring to.

I think the oversight is not on your end, but on mine. Cloister should absolutely say "this" instead of "it". We didn't catch that, and to me that seems like some extra precision could help. I will edit that card tonight.
Bottom text

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 12:43:14 pm »
+1

> Edited Cloister to give it more precision ("it" > "this" in the replay clause).

> Made some minor edits in the rulebook, as well as the addition of pagination (we're now up to version 4).

> Very trivial and minor edit for the second iteration of the secret history file. Simply replaced Witch-Hut's wrong picture, as Gubump pointed out.

I oughta update the TTS file at some point.
Bottom text

sudhish86

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudhish86
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 04:40:27 pm »
+2

i very much like this expansion concept. probably my favorite so far.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 03:59:37 am »

Lovely expansion!

Random question: is there a tool or template for making expansion boxes like the one you made for Heroes?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 12:43:13 pm »
+1

Lovely expansion!

Random question: is there a tool or template for making expansion boxes like the one you made for Heroes?

Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not know if such tools exist. I've put mine together using Paint.net. Admittedly, I ain't much of a graphic designer.  :D

I've edited the OP post a bit. Tables are nice and all, but uh, the cards were sort of tough to browser through on smaller screens (ex: phones). It should be better now.

I made a very minor edit of the rulebook, so now we're moving on to version 4.1.

Finally, I've updated the Tabletop Simulator save file to include the changes I've made to Heroes since I posted this thread.
Bottom text

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 06:36:13 am »

Quick question regarding Magic Coin: how many Coppers is it supposed to affect the following turn? Just one (i.e. "the first time you play a Copper"), all of them (i.e. "whenever you play a Copper"), or one per time you played Magic Coin the previous turn (not sure how to phrase that clearly)?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 09:02:19 am »

Quick question regarding Magic Coin: how many Coppers is it supposed to affect the following turn? Just one (i.e. "the first time you play a Copper"), all of them (i.e. "whenever you play a Copper"), or one per time you played Magic Coin the previous turn (not sure how to phrase that clearly)?

On your next turn following one where you played one or more Magic Coin(s), all Coppers you play will immediately get returned to the Copper pile. It's as if Coppers that turn had their text changed to: "+. Return this to its pile". :)
Bottom text
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.