Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #159: Some Nights  (Read 7170 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #159: Some Nights
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2022, 02:55:46 am »

I can't figure out how to post the Generated Card, so I will just post the following:

To post an image from the generator, you have to save it, then upload it to a site like imgur. Once you do, you can copy and paste the image's URL and post it using this code:

Code: [Select]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/WhrPhJZh.png[/img]
You can modify the code by setting the image's height or width:

Code: [Select]
[img width=250]https://i.imgur.com/WhrPhJZh.png[/img]
I tend to like a width of 250 for posting my regular cards (as opposed to landscapes, which I set at a height of 250).

Wow. well, I guess I actually have to get into the judge's head to win these sorts of things, huh. When I originally created this card, it seemed the consensus was that Last Watch was fine as-is, but your comments are going to be taken into consideration. I hope my other two cards weren't as op as you think this one is.

The other cards don't appear to be as OP. Caravaneer may be borderline (I haven't had a ton of time to think about it). It's a similar concept. Setting aside any other Reserve cards you might have, a player can call all of their copies of Caravaneer from the Reserve mat, then if they have one more in their deck, play it to put them all back on the Reserve mat. Getting +2 Cards from your Reserve mat is like getting +3 from your hand, making these more like double Labs. But (importantly) it costs $5, and to keep it going you consistently need another copy each time you want to replay your existing set. The cards will eventually run out, and you will have other things you want to buy instead. By contrast, you can potentially play every copy of LW every turn. But, even after it falls apart, you may be able to start getting the Caravaneers back pretty quickly, and start chaining them thereafter.

Black Gold is relatively strong with Alt-VP cards like Mill, but even there you still have to forego any benefit if you want to turn it into a Gold.

The notion that Horselord would be weak if it gained 2 Horses on average is ridiculous. There is first of all the on-gain Horse-gaining and second of all, Horses are more similar in power level than immediate draw.

I didn't say it would be weak if it gained 2 Horses on average, I said it would be weak if it almost always gained one Horse, and sometimes gained 2 (which would be the case if you bought it for a deck with a single gainer/remodeler and no +Buy). I think that, or decks where players only ever gain 1 card (not counting Horse gaining) per turn are fairly common.

@emtzalex the level of detail you went into for judging each card was impressive. Thank-you

You're welcome.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #159: Some Nights
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 03:06:13 am »
+1

Thanks to everyone for participating. There were a ton of submissions that covered a lot of different ideas and design spaces. I took a minute to look back over the submissions. Here are the numbers of submissions by set:

Intrigue2
Seaside2
Alchemy1
Prosperity0
Cornucopia1
Hinterlands1
Dark Ages3
Guilds2
Adventures3
Empires1
Renaissance1
Menagerie3
Allies3

I was a little surprised no one attempted a Prosperity card. I also looked back at the list of set-specific mechanics from the 2nd post. The ones crossed out were used by at least one submission.

• From...
  • Alchemy: Potion costs
  • Prosperity: VP tokens
  • Dark Ages: Ruins, Spoils
  • Guilds: Coffers
  • Adventures: Events, Reserve cards, Travellers, player-specific pile & penalty tokens
  • Empires: Events, VP tokens, split piles, Gathering cards, Debt, Landmarks
  • Renaissance: Coffers, Villagers, Projects, Artifacts
  • Menagerie: Events, Horses, Exile, Ways
  • Allies: Rotator piles, Allies, and Liaisons

You all entirely avoided using any landscapes. That's understandable, since you'd have still had to design a Night card to go with it (but an Artifact could fit pretty easily into a Night card's design). The only other obvious exclusions were VP tokens / Gathering cards, and Debt tokens.

Before the contest started I designed cards for each of the mechanics. Here are a handful of them:

Empires:

Askleipion • 5 Debt • Night
Choose one: trash up to 3 cards from your hand; or trash up to 3 Coppers you have in play.

Renaissance:

Nun • $4 • Night
Trash a card from your hand or a Copper you have in play. If you trashed an…
Action card, +1 Villager
Treasure card, +1 Coffers
Victory card, take the Icon

Icon • Artifact
2VP

Alchemy:

Illicit Experiments • P • Night - Duration
At the start of your next turn, choose one: gain a Potion to your hand; or you may trash a Potion from your hand for +3 Cards.

Dark Ages:

Tomb Raider • $5 • Night - Looter
Choose one: gain up to 2 Ruins; or set aside a Ruins you have in play.

In games using this, at the start of each of your turns, play each Ruins you set aside with this, leaving them there.

Allies:

Animated Servant • $2 • Action - Night - Liaison
Choose two different options: +1 Card; or +1 Action; or +1 Favor; or you may discard a card costing more than this for +1 Favor.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.