Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #158: What Happened To My Estates?!  (Read 5186 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #158: What Happened To My Estates?!
« on: July 16, 2022, 11:34:18 pm »
+14

Your challenge this week is to do for another expansion what Shelters did for Dark Ages: design 3 cards to replace opening Estates, themed on one of the official expansions other than Dark Ages and Base.

The winner will be decided based on how well the cards fit with the expansion, as well as how well they work as opening cards. Please keep in mind that, as these are opening cards, they are cards you should want to trash a lot of the time. You can also make up a new type and color for them to share if you like, but in my opinion the Shelter type is only thematic for Dark Ages. Also, please give the name of the expansion you are using as a base.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #158: What Happened To My Estates?!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 02:29:28 am »
+10

These are to be used with Renaissance.

This idea (thematically) is kind of like an anti-Dark Ages. While in the Dark Ages you're down on your luck and must work with whatever you have, in the Renaissance you're more sort of paying homage to the people and places that got you (and others) this far. These three cards represent buildings of days long past, now destined to be abandoned forever... probably. Sometimes it turns out that with enough work, it can be worthwhile to keep cherishing these old memory makers.

I also think this idea (mechanically) works really well with Renaissance too. While it isn't a central theme, a lot of Renaissance cards can trash or have other bonuses related to trashing. Forsaken Manor takes advantage of this by letting you trash an extra card like Sewers (hey that's also in Renaissance). It can help you thin just a little quicker, or sometimes even thin a card you otherwise couldn't (like with Hermit or Jack or something).
Abandoned Church also has the potential to trash cards, quite a few in fact. However it relies solely on Patron reveal reaction to do so. Renaissance has quite a few cards that can activate Patron and thus also quite a few cards that can activate this. But a lot of the time it will be easier for you to just trash this and move on instead of trying to set that up.
Lastly we have Old Bridge, with a simple on play effect, also paying homage to one of the set's themes. It can impact openings like Baker or certain Heirlooms or events do, and if you find yourself with a lot of Workshop type cards the cost reduction may prove quite useful on later turns. But it is terminal, so that probably won't happen very often.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 04:20:19 am »
+4

For Seaside:

Northern Passage
Action - Duration - Passage - $2*
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Action. Otherwise, when you discard this from play, trash this and gain an Estate.

Southern Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Buy. Otherwise, when you discard this from play, trash this and gain an Estate.

Inland Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +$1. Otherwise, when you discard this from play, trash this and gain an Estate.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:39:23 am by NoMoreFun »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 04:28:14 am »
+10

My Submission:

Hibernation Cave • $1 • Reaction - Shelter
When you return a card to its pile, you may Exile this from your hand.
Remote Lake • $1 • Victory - Shelter
Worth 1VP if on your Exile mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0VP).
Wild Pasture • $1 • Treasure - Shelter
$0

When you trash or Exile this, gain a Horse.

My submission is Hibernation Cave, Remote Lake, and Wild Pasture, designed to be from Menagerie. These are also "Shelters" but (fitting the set's theme), they are places where an animal might shelter, rather than a human. They also play on Menagerie's other themes of Exile and Horses, as well as the fact that there are multiple ways for cards to go back to their pile (either a Horse or using Way of the Butterfly).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 04:53:10 am »
+4

For Seaside:

Northern Passage
Action - Duration - Passage - $4*
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Action. Otherwise, exchange this for an Estate when you discard this from play.

Southern Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Buy. Otherwise, exchange this for an Estate when you discard this from play.

Inland Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +$1. Otherwise, exchange this for an Estate when you discard this from play.
If these are supposed to be like Shelters, then they don't have a pile, so they cannot be exchanged.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 11:13:38 am »
+11

My submission is Residences for Prosperity.
So, the whole thing about Dark Ages was trashing and benefits from trashing, plus an overall Lower cost. Prosperity, in contrast, is focused more on Treasures and Higher costs. So, these cards all help you hit those higher costs. It does create some Baker problems, in that the start is messed with quite a bit, but I saw no other way to capture the "feel" of Prosperity.
The way I figure, with these opening cards, you can't hit below $3. There are no 2-cost Kingdom cards in Prosperity.

Cottage • $3 • Treasure - Residence
$1
You may play an Action card from your hand.
Lodge • $3 • Reaction - Residence
When you gain a Treasure, you may trash this from your hand and gain a Silver.
Manor • $3 • Victory - Residence
2 VP
When you trash this, gain a card costing up to $7.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:41:52 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 11:53:46 am »
+1

My submission is Housing for Prosperity.[...]

where did you get the art from?

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:37:32 pm »
+1

where did you get the art from?

I got my art by searching for synonyms of "wealthy shelter" + Fantasy Art. For instance, I got Manor's art by searching for "Manor fantasy art" then scrolling through the images.
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 12:58:13 pm »
+2

Shelters for Nocturne

Faerie Tree - $3
Action - Victory - Fate - Shelter
You may reveal a Victory card from your hand to receive a Boon.
----
1VP
Hanging Tree - $1
Attack - Reaction - Doom - Shelter
When another player gains a Victory card, you may play this for +1 Card.
If that player hasn't received a Hex this turn, they receive the next Hex.
Shaman Hut - $1
Night - Shelter
Gain a Will-o'-Wisp.
If you have not gained a Victory card this turn, trash this to gain a Will-o'-Wisp and a Curse.

Faerie Tree is a real simple source of Boons. Hanging Tree is a Reaction Attack that only does something if players are buying Victory cards. The mitigating factor is that it relies on Hexes for the attack which are a real mixed bag. It at least replaces itself when you react with it. Shaman Hut gives access to Will-o'-Wisps, but requires you to have gained a curse Victory Card to keep it, otherwise you gain a curse anyways and it trashes itself. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit 1: Ok, took the feedback regarding Shaman Hut to heart and fiddled around with the concept a bit more. Came up with this new version. Acts more like a bonus for gaining Victory cards by rewarding you with a Will-o-Wisp. Still Curses you and trashes itself if you did not get a VP card, but gives you another Will-o-Wisp. So, out of the gates you can trade in Shaman Hut for 2 Wisps and a Curse. IDK if that is too appealing a trade or not, so additional feedback is appreciated. Thanks to segura and Builder_Roberts.

Edit 2: Modified Faerie Tree and Hanging Tree. Faerie Tree is harder to activate and get Boons off of, encourages early VP gain (encourages using Shaman Hut), is actually worth a VP, and has an increased price making it more appealing for trash for benefits effects. Hanging Tree is less punishing for the person that buys VP; players will not get hit with multiple Hexes per turn and no longer does collateral damage.

Old Versions
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 11:25:24 pm by Xen3k »

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 01:14:52 pm »
+1

I don't know why Faerie Tree is a Victory card at all. Shaman Hut seems interesting, but I don't think I'd ever play it if I didn't have Trashing.
Faerie tree is already an Action. Being a victory card worth 0 VP does nothing for it but give it an additional type.
The new version of Shaman Hut is pretty good! I'd play with it. Still a very late-game sort of thing. but you could just get 2 willow wisps and a curse and call it a day.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:05:49 pm by Builder_Roberts »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 01:22:21 pm »

Faerie Tree is a VP card purely for card interaction. See Overgrown Estate, which could have just been a pure Shelter.

Shaman Hut will always be a detriment, but gives you options. Also, if an attack triggers on your turn and gives you a Curse, like maybe Black Cat or Hanging Tree, you can buy a VP and gain a Will-o-Wisp without losing it.

Edit: Modified Shaman Hut to be a bit more appealing to play.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 03:27:36 pm by Xen3k »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 04:31:55 pm »
+5

Some Shelter equivalents for Empires.

Broker
$1
Treasure - Castrum

$2

Stall
$1
Reaction - Castrum

Whenever you gain a card you may reveal this from your hand and discard it for +1 Buy

Gatehouse
$1
Victory - Castrum

Worth 9VP if you have 1 Broker, 1 Stall and 1 Gatehouse.

Notes
- Gatehouse follows the Empires theme of promoting potentially unusual strategies. If you hang on to these three shelters they will also effectively be a Duchy each at the end of the game.
- Broker potentially gives you a Silver in your starting hand to potentially spike some better cards on turn 1 and 2. If you use it though you have to pay back double the debt.
- For the third card, I deliberately wanted a weak card that didn't do a lot but could allow for some tricks in the right circumstances.
- I deliberately avoided making an action card to limit the number of cards that would allow you to trigger Gatehouse's points by exiling the cards. With that constraint I though a Shelter-Treasure, Shelter-Reaction and Shelter-Victory gave a nice mix.

- Edit - Changing the types so they are not shelters. Giving the cards a new type instead of Castrum, which is a term for a Roman fort or camp.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:58:50 am by xyz123 »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 06:05:54 pm »
+1

For Seaside:

Northern Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Action. Otherwise, trash this and gain an Estate when you discard this from play.

Southern Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Buy. Otherwise, trash this and gain an Estate when you discard this from play.

Inland Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +$1. Otherwise, trash this and gain an Estate when you discard this from play.

Normally the judge shouldn't comment on the cards before judging, but I need some clarification on how these work. It seems to me that if you're trashing a Passage, then you're not discarding it from play and so you'll never gain the Estate.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 07:37:29 pm »
+9

Looks like xyz123 beat me to the punch for Empires-themed Shelters, but here are mine anyway. I tried to create cards that don't affect the opening most of the time, interact with the two main themes of Empires (VP tokens and Debt), and have some light interactions with each other. We're sticking with the name Shelter since all of these things do in fact Shelter you from stuff kinda.

Savings is a Gold, yeeha, but only if you have Debt. Nice for paying off those expensive Debt cards/events on the turn after you buy them, but not very useful otherwise.

Benefactor is a Reaction that lets you discard it from your hand for +1VP anytime you take VP or Debt tokens. It's tricky to line up, but it might be worth keeping around for the occasional extra VP.

Ancestral Home is my attempt of a sort of Attack Shelter. When you trash it, you get +1 VP, and everyone else takes 1 Debt (which is sort of like taking your -$1 token). To keep from being too oppressive, the Debt attack can't stack on top of other Debt, and Savings and Benefactor may make players actually thankful for the Debt anyway.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 12:23:08 am »
+2

For Adventures. Because there's no actual paths you can take in it for some reason. using the Project color bc am lazy

edit: Lakeside should be an Action-Path not a Reaction-Path but I'm too lazy to change it
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:01:59 am by Augie279 »
they/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 12:43:46 am »

For Seaside:

Northern Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Action. Otherwise, trash this and gain an Estate when you discard this from play.

Southern Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +1 Buy. Otherwise, trash this and gain an Estate when you discard this from play.

Inland Passage
If this is the first time you played a Passage this game, at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, +$1. Otherwise, trash this and gain an Estate when you discard this from play.

Normally the judge shouldn't comment on the cards before judging, but I need some clarification on how these work. It seems to me that if you're trashing a Passage, then you're not discarding it from play and so you'll never gain the Estate.

Reordered for clarity. Basically you only get to activate one of the Passages per game.

The others turn into Estates. That happens when you discard it from play to avoid issues with Throne Room.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 01:27:46 am »
+6

Shelters for use in Guilds.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 02:24:16 am »
+9

Apiary • $1 • Action - Apiculture
+3 Actions
Discard a card

Honey • $2 • Treasure - Apiculture
If you have 6 or more differently named cards in play: +$2

Flower Fields • $3 • Victory - Apiculture
Worth 1VP for each differently named card in your deck costing $2 or less.

- - -

The Apiculture cards, made for Cornucopia.

I wanted these cards to be slightly more desirable than the existing Shelters. I believe Heirlooms have taught us it isn't a problem if some starting cards are a bit more powerful. Of course, the added card variety is already a nice boost to existing cards from Cornucopia.

[Edit: uploaded the wrong version of Apiary]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:00:43 am by Dubdubdubdub »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 08:35:11 am »
+1

Some Shelters for Empires.

Broker
$1
Treasure - Shelter

$2

Stall
$1
Reaction - Shelter

Whenever you gain a card you may reveal this from your hand and discard it for +1 Buy

Gatehouse
$1
Victory - Shelter

Worth 9VP if you have 1 Broker, 1 Stall and 1 Gatehouse.

Notes
- Gatehouse follows the Empires theme of promoting potentially unusual strategies. If you hang on to these three shelters they will also effectively be a Duchy each at the end of the game.
- Broker potentially gives you a Silver in your starting hand to potentially spike some better cards on turn 1 and 2. If you use it though you have to pay back double the debt.
- For the third card, I deliberately wanted a weak card that didn't do a lot but could allow for some tricks in the right circumstances.
- I deliberately avoided making an action card to limit the number of cards that would allow you to trigger Gatehouse's points by exiling the cards. With that constraint I though a Shelter-Treasure, Shelter-Reaction and Shelter-Victory gave a nice mix.

I really like Broker and Gatehouse.  But AFAICS Stall is equivalent to a nonterminal Ruined Market except for the card type, and the rather rare case where you can redraw it after discarding, where it gives several +Buys. IMO,  this doesn't justify the increased complexity (and much longer card text) so I would just make it a Action Treasure with +1 Buy (or maybe + 2 Buys for a slightly stronger card).

Edit (in italics): Unlike Ruined Market, Stall does not use up an Action. So making it a Treasure instead of an Action comes much closer to your original concept.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:30:32 pm by Holger »

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 10:59:20 am »

I've updated my submission (again) (sorry)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:47:24 am by Builder_Roberts »

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 11:33:08 am »
+3

I've updated my submission (again) (sorry)
These are pretty significant changes! I really like both versions though :) But those yellow letters are near unreadable on my screen.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 06:22:30 pm »
+3

Meant for Allies.
Compass is the Copper version of Tent. It messes with the opening but comes at the cost of slower cycling.
Tavern is simple.
Hut is the crazy one. It is obviously inspiread by Battle Plan. Due to the second option you can create rotating piles and block/unblock a good pile (the restriction to Kingdom piles exists to prevent potentially degenerate play and keep green and money always "open"). It might lead to interesting mini-games. Not sure how strong it is, so I am not sure about costly it should be. I did consider spending a Favor but that might make it too weak and there could be basic deck stuff like topdecking or discarding as cost. Not sure about this one and open for feedback.
I think that you should prevent Hut from triggering via Clean-Up discards. Consider a situation where you have a board with these, a good trasher (Remake or something) and an expensive kingdom card (anything $6 or more). The first player to react with this could lock the other(s) out of the trasher and be able to gain a large advantage due to pure chance. It is possible the other(s) could uncover the pile but again, it would be chance. This might be a little bit specific but I think it could come up often enough to warrant an adjustment.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 09:19:51 pm »
+2

For Menagerie:
Old Estate - Shelter - Action - Victory - Cost: 3

+1 Card
Trash a card from your hand.
-
1%

Abandoned Village - Action - Shelter - Curse - Cost: 2

+3 Actions
+1 Buy
-
-1%

Old Barn - Shelter - Reaction - Cost: 2

When you trash this reveal it and choose one: +1%; or exile your hand.

I'm not sure if old barn needs the Reaction part please tell me if it doesn't.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 11:41:00 am by Joxeft »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 11:01:00 pm »
+3

Submission (for Menagerie):
Name: Hay Farmer
Types: Action, Farmer
Price: $1
Text: +1 Action; Exile a Horse from its pile.
Name: Animal Trader
Text: Trash this. Gain a Horse.
Name: Rancher
Text: +1 Buy

While this is in play, when you play a Horse, you first get +1 Card.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2022, 11:03:53 pm »
+3

For Menagerie:
Old Estate - Shelter - Reaction - Cost: 3

When you draw this you may reveal and trash it.
-
4%

Abandoned Village - Action - Shelter - Cost: 2

+3 Actions
+1 Buy
-
-1%

Old Barn - Shelter - Reaction - Cost: 2

When you trash this reveal it and choose one: +1%; or exile your hand.

I'm not sure if old barn needs the Reaction part please tell me if it doesn't.

Feedback is appreciated.

Old Estate should probably have the Victory card type, Abandoned Village should have either the Curse or Victory card type, and you are correct that Old Barn needs to be a Reaction. I like how Old Estate and Old Barn give interesting choices. Abandoned Village is an interesting Necropolis variant, probably the most straight forward to plan for.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.