Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A costly mistake in timing of a reaction  (Read 585 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
A costly mistake in timing of a reaction
« on: July 13, 2022, 02:24:10 pm »
+3

So, I had a recent game with both Pirate and Charlatan. This is an interesting combo since Charlatan, by making Curses into Treasures, can trigger Pirate's reaction, both for your opponent's play and for your own play. Anyway, at one point, the hand I drew had a Charlatan, a Pirate, and $5 worth of Treasure. So, my plan was, when it came to my turn, to play Charlatan and react to my opponent's gain with my Pirate. That would give me $8 for that turn and an extra Gold on the turn after that. But then my opponent played their own Charlatan and I accidentally used the reaction. So, I ended up with a total of $11 to spend on turn, with no extra buy, and not a Colony game, meaning that the extra Gold went to waste. And no extra Gold on my next turn, which turned out to be crucial as I was just a little short of being able to buy a Province on that turn (I think I ended up with $7 if I'm remembering right, but definitely an amount that an extra Gold would've been crucial). So, I ended up only being able to buy a Duchy instead of a Province. There were enough turns after that that I can't say for sure that it cost me the game (since both of us would probably have made different choices), but the final score ended up close enough that it likely did. Very annoying mistake
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Re: A costly mistake in timing of a reaction
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 01:40:11 pm »

So, I had a recent game with both Pirate and Charlatan. This is an interesting combo since Charlatan, by making Curses into Treasures, can trigger Pirate's reaction, both for your opponent's play and for your own play. Anyway, at one point, the hand I drew had a Charlatan, a Pirate, and $5 worth of Treasure. So, my plan was, when it came to my turn, to play Charlatan and react to my opponent's gain with my Pirate. That would give me $8 for that turn and an extra Gold on the turn after that. But then my opponent played their own Charlatan and I accidentally used the reaction. So, I ended up with a total of $11 to spend on turn, with no extra buy, and not a Colony game, meaning that the extra Gold went to waste. And no extra Gold on my next turn, which turned out to be crucial as I was just a little short of being able to buy a Province on that turn (I think I ended up with $7 if I'm remembering right, but definitely an amount that an extra Gold would've been crucial). So, I ended up only being able to buy a Duchy instead of a Province. There were enough turns after that that I can't say for sure that it cost me the game (since both of us would probably have made different choices), but the final score ended up close enough that it likely did. Very annoying mistake

Just another example of why this change needs to be made. 

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21265.0

Why reactions don't get the same confirmation as trashes makes 0 sense.  It basically means you can't replay in ANY game that has a reaction attack possible. 

I mean if you preplay a card as an action that should not even be able to engage a reaction. I mean it can't tell that it was played before the reactionable card/situation was triggered?  Just dumb and leads to mistakes that no one would ever make, like accidentally prohibiting War Chest from gaining a hunting grounds or City Quarter, etc
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 02:20:17 pm »

Just another example of why this change needs to be made. 

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21265.0

Why reactions don't get the same confirmation as trashes makes 0 sense.  It basically means you can't replay in ANY game that has a reaction attack possible. 

I mean if you preplay a card as an action that should not even be able to engage a reaction. I mean it can't tell that it was played before the reactionable card/situation was triggered?  Just dumb and leads to mistakes that no one would ever make, like accidentally prohibiting War Chest from gaining a hunting grounds or City Quarter, etc

Well, this wasn't preplay, it was me hitting the reaction without thinking. I've never used preplay (don't really see the point)
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 03:59:39 pm »
+1

Oh it's so good and so fast.  Just click the cards you know you want to play or buy in order.  Then it just autos your turn.  you can even preclick cards to trash/discard/exile etc. 

But just watch when reactions are in play.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.