Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #157: Token of Appreciation  (Read 3707 times)

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #157: Token of Appreciation
« on: July 07, 2022, 02:26:15 am »
+6

Contest: Design a card or landscape that adds Tokens to a card.

So uh, Garrison. Needs to use a bit of a contrived way to track gains this turn for Cards next turn, but there's probably more that can be done with the concept. I've come up with a couple ideas in my own fan expansion, (note to self: remake this when I know a bit more about making expansions and also when it's not 2am) and now I think it's time to have everyone else throw their hats into the ring.

Acceptable submissions include:

-Cards that only use the term Tokens (Garrison)
-Cards that add Coffers or Debt tokens to a pile (Tax)
-Gathering cards (Temple, Farmer's Market)
-Cards that add any of the four above to a different pile (Defiled Shrine, Aqueduct)
-A new or unique type of token (Embargo)
-Adventures Tokens or Adventures-adjacent Tokens (e.g. Plan)

I will not be including:

-Cards that add tokens to a mat (Trade Route, Pirate Ship)
-Cards that use tokens but don't interact with piles or cards in play (e.g. Butcher)
-Landmarks that only have tokens on themselves (e.g. Baths)

Judgement ends July 14th, by Midnight PST. I plan to have the results posted two days later. (July 16th)

Entries will be judged on creativity, balance, use of the mechanic, and anything else I deem interesting or arbitrary.

Best of luck to all who enter!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:10:13 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #157: Token of Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 11:18:50 am »
+1

Do Adventures-esque tokens like the +1 Card, +1 Action, etc. tokens qualify? If so:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:50:20 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1448
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 12:08:08 pm »
+1

Do Adventures-esque tokens like the +1 Card, +1 Action, etc. tokens qualify? If so:

I think this needs the phrase "cards from that pile". I'm also not sure you need (or, in light of the ever-growing list of cards that can be played on opponents' turns, want) the "on your turn" language. However, I'm not sure the best way to get around it.

My first thought was to borrow from Way of the Chameleon and say something like "(After you play a non-Duration card from that pile, follow its instructions again at the start of your next turn.)" But that doesn't make it a Duration card (which it needs to for various interactions).

While no official cards do this, you could use "your" to designate the cards affected are the ones that belong to you. As in:
(Your non-Duration Action cards from that pile are also Durations with "Now and at the start of your next turn:" before their instructions.)
This has the downside of not making copies in the Supply or trash into Duration cards. This would be bad for Inheritance when you couldn't gain Estates as Action cards using things like Lurker or University. But the only impact I can think of that it would have here would be for Necromancer or Captain, and I don't think it would be a problem since the copies you don't have would neither be Durations nor play as Durations.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 12:48:10 pm »
+1

Way of the Bear - Way

Add any number of tokens on this at the start of your next turn remove them and trash a card from your hand per token you removed.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 01:19:17 pm by Joxeft »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 01:03:29 pm »
+1

Expansion - Event - Cost: 3

Move your Combine token to an action supply pile (when you play a card form that pile you may Combine it with a copy of it in your hand.

Please tell me if this is over priced.

Feedback is appreciated.

my gut says underpriced - consider this with smithy. you open this / smithy on a $3/4. t3 you draw $4 + estate, buy smithy #2. t4 you have $3, smithy #1 is the eleventh card, buy silver. t5, you get both smithies. you now have thinned a card without trashing and the combined smithy draws six.

like this at $5 or $6 would seem reasonable. or like, 8 debt, maybe, if mutual access is a concern

OR
Consider this with Experiment. There's no "Experiment Experiment" Supply pile, and the instructions say to return it to the supply. Opening with a non-one-shot +4 cards +2 actions is absurd, and gettable on turn three.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:08:53 pm by spineflu »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 02:47:41 pm »
+6

Architect is a Village gainer that gathers Debt tokens onto its pile with each play until someone decides to take the Debt and gain two cards costing the amount they took. You get two cards for the Debt-cost of just one, not a bad deal, but you also have to be careful that your opponents don't snag the Debt first. As a Village, you'll likely want these in your deck anyway, and having more will increase your control over building up the Debt pile and choosing when to take it. While this works similarly to a Gathering card, it doesn't have the Gathering type since it uses Debt instead of VP-tokens.

*Edit: changed from cantrip to village and increased price to $5.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:29:14 pm by 4est »

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 03:05:14 pm »

Do Adventures-esque tokens like the +1 Card, +1 Action, etc. tokens qualify?

...Not what I was going for, but sure, they qualify.
they/them

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 03:32:02 pm »

The idea is cool but there is a serious bootstrapping problem due to the positive externality. It only becomes worthwhile once 4 or 5 tokens are on it, but unlike the official Gathering cards, the card does nothing until then. So why be the fool who does the costly build-up work for soon-to-come leechers.

The solution is to make the card actually do something else. As a Peddler for $5 it could be too strong but something like that might do the trick.

Excellent feedback, thank you. I prefer it not produce $ so it doesn't help pay its own Debt. I've made it a village instead, which are always desirable even apart from the gaining, and I've increased the price to $5.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 04:16:47 pm »
+1

Oratory

Project ($4)

When you trash a card, put a token here. At the start of your turn, you may remove any number of tokens (at least 1) to gain a card to your hand costing $1 per token removed.

Sinister Plot is (in my opinion) one of the more interesting Projects and I felt inspired to create a new spin on that concept. Oratory doesn't trash any cards itself, (meaning it will have occasional dead boards, but so does Sewers) but it will reward you for doing lots of trashing by letting you gain some nice cards a little later on. I feel like $4 is an appropriate price because you are still limited to 1 gain a turn even when you can put lots of tokens down, and I really didn't want to put it at $5 because on a board with $2 trashers (mainly Chapel) a 5/2 split could put one player way ahead of the others. It also doesn't care where you trash the cards from, meaning it has some fun interactions with cards like Watchtower and Lurker.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 04:49:37 pm »

Expansion - Event - Cost: 5

Move your Combine token to an action supply pile (when you play a card form that pile you may Combine it with a copy of it in your hand.

Feedback is appreciated.

What does combining cards mean? I feel like I'm missing something.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 05:09:10 pm »
+1

Expansion - Event - Cost: 5

Feedback is appreciated.

What does combining cards mean? I feel like I'm missing something.

It's a fan-created mechanic (created by faust), used in a recent Fan Card Mechanics Contest. Essentially, when you combine two cards, they become one, and get played together as a single card (click the link for more details/explanation).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 05:19:19 pm »
+5

Wine Cellar - Treasure-Duration - $5
Pay up to $4, then put that many tokens on this.

At the start of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, and remove them for +$2 each.
Makes a total of +$4, at maximum power, but requires investment and time to get the full worth out of it.

I hope this is the type of thing you were looking for.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:21:39 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 05:54:39 pm »

I think this needs the phrase "cards from that pile". I'm also not sure you need (or, in light of the ever-growing list of cards that can be played on opponents' turns, want) the "on your turn" language. However, I'm not sure the best way to get around it.

It was supposed to have "from that pile" wording, leaving those words out was a typo I didn't notice. Thanks for noticing that mistake. About the "on your turn" language, without that wording it would help your opponents too.

While no official cards do this, you could use "your" to designate the cards affected are the ones that belong to you. As in:
(Your non-Duration Action cards from that pile are also Durations with "Now and at the start of your next turn:" before their instructions.)
This has the downside of not making copies in the Supply or trash into Duration cards. This would be bad for Inheritance when you couldn't gain Estates as Action cards using things like Lurker or University. But the only impact I can think of that it would have here would be for Necromancer or Captain, and I don't think it would be a problem since the copies you don't have would neither be Durations nor play as Durations.

I thought of this wording, but then it would be creating the same issues as the original, pre-errata wording of Inheritance.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 06:25:35 pm »

I hope this is the type of thing you were looking for.

Yep, this is initially what I was shooting for, but I don't mind what people have done with similar Token concepts.
they/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1109
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 07:01:52 pm »
+8

Hey convenient, I sketched this not too long before this contest.

Bottom text

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +580
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 11:20:00 am »
+3

Crooked Smithy - $4
Action
+3 cards
+1 Action
Put 4 Debt on this.

At the end of this phase, for each Debt on this, choose one: Take it; or discard it and discard a card.

A Warehouse variant. I bumped the price to $4 and increased the potential number of cards that are discarded because of the choice being delayed until the end of the phase and its flexibility to take a debt instead of discarding a card. It is intended to allow players to still discard the debt from it even with no cards in hand. I am not completely sure if the wording is correct. Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:35:59 am by Xen3k »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 06:51:24 pm »
+4

Hidden Village
Action - $5
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If there are any Action Supply piles that your +1 Card Token hasn't been on this turn, move it to one of them.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 02:04:08 am »

Hey convenient, I sketched this not too long before this contest.

This looks weak. Sure, the flexibility to make this a Lab, Smithy, Village or Meganecro is nice but the effects being delayed and the very card being dead on play are serious downsides.
You gotta play a Village first and then you need another Action card in hand for the whole thing to work. That is why plain Smithy or Lab are likely far better.

I think you missed the "including this." You don't need a Village first.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2022, 07:06:25 pm »
+1

Scrimp • $3 • Action - Duration
You may trash a Treasure from your hand and place tokens on this equal to its cost in $.

At the start of your next turn, +1 Card per token here, then discard down to 5 cards in hand.

Sort of a mix of Guide and Warehouse, and a defense against handsize attacks.

FAQ: if you trash a copper, you clean it up during the same turn.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:20:52 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2022, 04:53:15 am »
+1

Scrimp • $3 • Action - Duration
You may trash a Treasure from your hand and place tokens on this equal to its cost in $.

At the start of your next turn, +1 Card per token here, then discard down to 5 cards in hand.

Sort of a mix of Guide and Warehouse, and a defense against handsize attacks.

FAQ: if you trash a copper, you clean it up during the same turn.

Even without needing to discard down to 5, isn't this essentially a terminal Research that only works on Treasures? Sure, it doesn't set aside cards from your deck and make them inaccessible for the turn, but that's a minor benefit compared to how much worse than Research this is otherwise.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2022, 03:00:07 pm »
+1

Lumberjack's Camp
$4
Action

Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action and add a Villager to the Lumberjack's Camp supply pile; or +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1 and take the Villagers from the Lumberjack's Camp supply pile.

- I decided to go for something like a gathering card that used something other than VP tokens.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2022, 01:48:44 am »

This gets problematic with cards that eject themselves from play. I'd go for the wording "When you discard a non-Duration card of this pile from play that you didn't play at start of this turn, set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of next turn." Another solution is to let the added text be "Now and, if it doesn't leave play this turn, at start of your next turn"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:07:30 am by grrgrrgrr »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 03:40:22 am »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 12:21:49 pm »
+3

My Submission:

House of the Rising Sun • $5 • Night - Duration
Add a token here per differently named card you have in play (including this). While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, remove a token, discard a card, then +1 Card per token remaining.

My submission is House of the Rising Sun. It's something of a mash-up between Den of Sin, Garrison, Crypt, and Horn of Plenty. Like Den of Sin it's a Night-Duration that gives you extra cards on future turns. Like Horn of Plenty its strengthened by diversity, giving you a better result the more unique cards you can put in play. Like Garrison it uses tokens to track your future drawing, and like Crypt it keeps adding cards to your hand for multiple turns, depending on what happens when you play it.

HotRS has the potential to give you significantly more cards than DoS does. Even without any drawing, it's not hard to have 4 different cards in your 5 card hand, which nets you +3 Cards the turn after you play it. And it keeps giving you cards (one fewer each turn). With an engine you could potentially drop 6 or 7 token on here.

To balance that out at the same price, there are some drawbacks. The most obvious is the discarding, which comes before the drawing (weakening the strength of the sifting). You also remove a token before drawing, meaning you only ever get 2 fewer cards than the number of different cards you had in play. It also means that there is a "hangover" effect -- the last turn HotRS is in play, you remove the last token and discard a card (which also makes it take that much longer to get back into your deck). Also, unlike DoS, it isn't gained into your hand.
he/him/his

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2022, 06:09:18 pm »
+4

Busker
Action/Duration - $2
+1 Action
Add a token to a Busker in play
While any tokens remain on this, at the start of your turns, remove a token for +1 Card and +1 Action.

Note: Buskers with no tokens on them are discarded at end of turn. This includes if you use a Busker to add a token to another Busker.

Rules clarification: From my understanding of the rules, if you play this with Throne Room, you remove 2 tokens per turn until you run out (because you do the "remove a token" instruction twice)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 03:04:33 am by NoMoreFun »

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 04:37:53 pm »
+4

A bit late sorry, but 24 hour warning

Current entries: (will update when more are added/if any are swapped out)

-Gubump's Endure
-Joxeft's Way of the Bear
-4est's Architect
-AJL828's Oratory
-Builder_Roberts's Wine Cellar
-X-tra's Provisions
-Xen3k's Crooked Smithy
-CommodoreChuckles's Hidden Village
-spineflu's Scrimp
-xyz123's Lumberjack Camp
-spheremonk's Wartime
-emtzalex's House of the Rising Sun
-NoMoreFun's Busker
they/them

venusambassador

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2022, 04:39:27 pm »

maybe i'm misunderstanding the intent here, but how is this particularly functionally different from "When you gain a card, take a token from its pile. | Setup: Put 1 Coffers, 1 Debt, 1 (VP token), and 1 Embargo token on each non-Gathering Kingdom pile."?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2022, 05:52:28 pm »
+1

maybe i'm misunderstanding the intent here, but how is this particularly functionally different from "When you gain a card, take a token from its pile. | Setup: Put 1 Coffers, 1 Debt, 1 (VP token), and 1 Embargo token on each non-Gathering Kingdom pile."?

Embargo tokens have a passive effect. Your wording would have players gaining Curses each time they buy a card from a given pile until someone takes the Embargo token from the pile, spheremonk's wording would not.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:57:26 pm by Gubump »

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2022, 06:25:04 pm »
+1

Contest closed! I'll have judging done in about two days.
they/them

Augie279

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2022, 09:20:42 pm »
+4

a day early because I suck at planning

Thanks for the submissions! This contest was kind of versatile and your submissions definitely delivered on that front. Lots of distinct cards that do a lot of things here, but which one wins?

Endure by Gubump

Royal Galleying every card of a pile? Interesting concept. There's probably a bit of improvement on the wording that could be done, but I'm not a stickler for that kind of stuff. That being said, the concept is really cool, if there ever was a return to Adventures-style tokens I'd love to see this. Could definitely cost $9 or $10 given Pathfinding costs $8, but that aside I like it.

Way of the Bear by Joxeft

A Way variant of a Chapel that forces you to guess how many cards in your next hand are going to be junk. As much as I like it, I think this would be better suited as a regular card and not a way. Given it's a Way, though, being able to play a terminal Silver as it, trashing cards, then guaranteeing having $3 or more seems to be the play with this.

Architect by 4est

A weird Village that also gets you cards. One or two might leave you a bit behind, but piling up 5 or 6 in your deck and consistently getting Smithies or other huge payloads is insane... but with a cost. Definitely a card you want as many of as you can (Winning the split 8-2 allows you to double-Province!), but with a downside of costing $5, how worth it is it to get these early? Being a Village really helps here as that's something only this card in the Kingdom might be.

Oratory by AJL828

Like Tomb, nuts but only on boards with trashing. Unlike Tomb, you gotta buy it first then work for it. Seems like a no-brainer to always get despite that (the only boards I think I'd skip it are Hermit and JoaT as the only trasher boards) but still manages to be interesting. Quality card, I don't think I have anything else to say on it.

Wine Cellar by Builder_Roberts

Dominion is a very fast game, and this forces you to reconsider how much you need a card now versus getting more from your coin at the cost of having to wait a bit. Powerful, but you might not want to stack 4 tokens on it every time, and if you're using this card to gain Provinces quick you might end up having to slow down due to not having enough coins to stack. Also, some nice interactions with Black Market and Storyteller.

Provisions by X-tra

Cool card, being able to vary between being a Smithy, ultra-Necropolis, or anything in between. Like others have said, it feels a bit weak in decks without too many Actions, though that might not be very many. I think placing a Buy on this would solve that, but nitpicks aside, great card.

Crooked Smithy by Xen3k

Double-Lab but forces you to discard cards or suffer a debt penalty. This feels like a fixed version of Tide Pools oddly enough as you can just take debt instead of having to discard if you need cards for your Buy phase, but in return you have to discard more or take more. Not always better than either Tide Pools or Warehouse but gives you more interesting decisions to make than either.

Hidden Village by CommodoreChuckles

You did it. You found a way to make the +1 Card token costing $5 balanced. I'm impressed and honestly really want to play with this. In games where this is the only Village, this is going to bounce from pile to pile, but with others you have a bit more control over where it ends up. A Village that likes other Villages in the kingdom, not too new a concept but pulled off well here. Good Lost City variant, and can be better if you have the right tool.

Scrimp by spineflu

...Way too weak in comparison to Research. No +Action, can only trash Treasures, and you sift instead of just drawing? For $3? I'm sorry, I don't see many Kingdoms where I'd get this. (JoaT being like the one exception)

Lumberjack's Camp by xyz123

Choose one: Cantrip or Candlestick Maker. Yeah, uh, this is kind of weak, and Villagers being the token that gathers on it doesn't really give it the power boost it needs. Probably salvageable if it cost $3 and played itself on gain, but as it stands, I don't see too many boards I'd buy this on.

Wartime by spheremonk

Take the spoils while you still can! Some good reward early, but the later you get unique cards, the more hurt your deck's gonna get. Very thematic and avoids Tax's problem of not being fun to play with.

House of the Rising Sun by emtzalex

Incredibly overpowered. Love the idea, but you've played Kingdoms with Horn of Plenty, right? You play that around gaining $8 or higher cost cards with it, and even not considering that, you're still very likely to gain $5s with it. This is ridiculously better than Den of Sin to the point where it's not even funny. Fun broken, and thank god it's not Throneable, but this should probably stay a fan card.

Busker by NoMoreFun

Falls into the "good in ridiculous amounts" category of $2s. Either play it like Ghost Town and stack all your Tokens onto one copy of it to get multiple sets of village effects or give up a turn to pseudo-Tactician your next turn's draw power heavily. Lots of things you can do with it while still being a bit weak; perfect for a 2-cost. I like it.

Honorable Mentions: Endure, Oratory, Crooked Village, Wine Cellar, Busker

Runners-Up: Architect, Wartime

Winner: Hidden Village

Congrats to all who entered!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:25:19 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2022, 10:57:24 pm »

Thank you very much, Augie279! I'll have the next contest up soon.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.