Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Summary of all errata  (Read 2583 times)

flynd

• Swindler
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Summary of all errata
« on: July 03, 2022, 02:50:55 pm »
+2

As someone with the first edition of everything, the amount of changes to keep track of is getting long. Is there somewhere a complete list of all errata and rule changes so I don't have to keep track of all the different pages and forum threads?
It would be convenient to have all the functional changes (both general rules and card texts) as a single sheet that can be printed and have at hand when playing, so if someone has already made that it would be really great.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Re: Summary of all errata
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 06:11:51 pm »
+3

I hope the following will be helpful.

Dominion isn't the kind of game that gets/needs errata for balance and/or mistakes/broken things. (Except on rare occasions such as the rewrite of Masquerade, and even that was pretty minor and probably will never play any differently for you.) This is the reason why you won’t find anything resembling an Errata/FAQ on the publisher’s site. So unfortunately a single, easy-to-reference list of all errata might not ever exist.
For the most part, you can continue playing with the cards and rules as written and be just fine. Especially given how much simpler that is than the alternative. Ultimately, that’s up to you, of course.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 12:08:04 am »
+4

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1odH3JFKtFdvK0dPAyCxa5i0Uk7WKGUxoij9LmAK6QlQ/

It's my own notes in my own shorthand, and it's only functional errata, but I plan to keep it updated as new errata come out.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 11:24:04 am »
+1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1odH3JFKtFdvK0dPAyCxa5i0Uk7WKGUxoij9LmAK6QlQ/

It's my own notes in my own shorthand, and it's only functional errata, but I plan to keep it updated as new errata come out.
According to my notes there have also been changes to the following:

Cellar
Citadel
Coin of the Realm
Embargo (though this is now a deprecated card)
Envoy (the original didn't use the correct terminology)
Hoard
Hovel
Mint
Nomad Camp (though this is now a deprecated card)
Oracle (though this is now a deprecated card)
Quarry
Royal Carriage
Scheme
Stash
Storeroom
Trade Route (though this is now a deprecated card)
Treasury

Alas my notes don't tell me how significant the changes were.  I know that some are edge cases (e.g. the 2nd Edition Cellar says "Discard any number of cards, then draw that many" instead of "Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded" which means that it works differently with Way of the Chameleon.  It's not impossible that one or two cards with non-functional changes have crept into my list.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 12:11:02 pm »

As far as I know, Nomad Camp’s change was not functional; though the new wording is correct as to how it functions, while the old wording was not. It had already been ruled that Nomad Camp doesn’t ever go to your discard pile. (Same as Envoy).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 12:31:44 pm »
+1

According to my notes there have also been changes to the following:

Cellar
Citadel
Coin of the Realm
Embargo (though this is now a deprecated card)
Envoy (the original didn't use the correct terminology)
Hoard
Hovel
Mint
Nomad Camp (though this is now a deprecated card)
Oracle (though this is now a deprecated card)
Quarry
Royal Carriage
Scheme
Stash
Storeroom
Trade Route (though this is now a deprecated card)
Treasury

Alas my notes don't tell me how significant the changes were.  I know that some are edge cases (e.g. the 2nd Edition Cellar says "Discard any number of cards, then draw that many" instead of "Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded" which means that it works differently with Way of the Chameleon.  It's not impossible that one or two cards with non-functional changes have crept into my list.

I intentionally didn't include deprecated cards on this list, but if that's going to be useful to other people then I'll just add them.

I'll double-check this list for any functional errata that aren't already on the spreadsheet when I get a chance. Probably will be tomorrow before I can get to it though. It's important to me to have a complete list because all of the physical cards I own are from when they were first available to buy, and when I run IRL tournaments I want to make sure that I don't run into the situation where someone expects a card to work a certain way because that's how it works online and post-errata, and another player reads the card in front of them and expects it to do that. I need to have potential errata problems like this planned for and addressed before people buy cards in that game.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

flynd

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 05:53:24 am »
+2

This is my attempt to compile a list of all the rules changes.
The goal here was to include all changes that affects rules, no matter how small, and I haven't excluded replaced cards.

General rules:
ReshuffleFirst shuffle your discard pile and put in under your deck, then do the thing.
Stop-movingAn effect can't move a card that isn't in or has already been moved from the expected location.
Get from discardYou may look through your discard pile when you need to get a specific card from it.
OverpayOverpay effects happen when the card is gained.
CoffersCoffers can be spent at any time during your turn.
On BuyOn buy effects happens when gaining.

Added/removed words:
+mayDeath Cart, Mine, Moneylender, Throne Room
Trash +toDeath Cart, Embargo (place token), Pillage (gain and attack)
+non-DurationCointerfeit, Crypt, Mint (trashed), Procession (trashed)
+revealedOpulent Castle, Village Green
+non-CommandCaptain, Inheritance
Type +CommandBand of Misfits, Captain, Overlord, Prince
No separating lineAlchemist, Bridge Troll, Embargo, Herbalist, Hermit, Merchant Guild, Tracker, Treasury

Replaced phrases:
"buy"   Charm, Exploration, Farmland, Forum, Hovel, Mint, Plan, Port => "gain"
   Basilica, Colonnade, Defiled Shrine, Exploration, Messenger, Tax => "gain in your buy phase"
"buys"   Haunted Woods, Swamp Hag => "gains a card they bought"
"when you buy ..."   Haggler, Hoard => "when you gain ..., if you bought it"
"while this is in play"   Groundskeeper, Haggler, Highway, Hoard, Princess, Quarry, Sauna, Tracker => "this turn"
   Bridge Troll => "on this turn and your next turn"
   Lighthouse => "until the start of your next turn"
   Merchant Guild => "at the end of your Buy phase"
"when you discard this from play"   Alchemist => "at the start of Clean-up"
   Herbalist, Scheme => "once this turn"
   Hermit, Treasury => "at the end of your Buy phase"
"after that turn"   Donate => "at the start of your next turn, first"
   Mountain Pass => "now"
"Directly after resolving an Action"   Coin of the Realm, Royal Carriage => "After you play an Action card"
"+1 Buy, Once per turn"   Borrow, Save => "Once per turn: +1 Buy"

Other card changes:
Band of Misfits"Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, leaving it there."
Bonfire"2 cards" => "2 Coppers"
Envoy"Draw the rest" => "Put the rest into your hand"
Farmland"Gain a card" => "Gain a non-Farmland card"
Hermit"trash a non-Treasure", "At the end of your Buy phase this turn, if you didn't gain any cards in it, exchange this for a Madman."
Inheritance"(...)" => "(During your turns, Estates are also Command Actions with "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there.")"
Innovation"Once during each of your turns, when you gain an Action card, you may play it."
Lantern"Your Border Guards" => "Border Guards you play"
Masquerade"player" => "player with any cards in hand"
Outpost"If this is the first time you played an Outpost this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one, and you only draw 3 cards for your next hand."
Overlord"Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $5, leaving it there."
Patron"reveal this" => "reveal this in an action phase"
Peddler"you Buy phase" => "a player's Buy phase"
Possession"cards" => "cards or DEBT"
Prince (Duration)"You may set aside (on this) a non-Duration non-Command Action card from your hand costing up to $4. At the start of each of your turns, play that card, leaving it set aside."
Storyteller+1 Card after playing treasures instead of +$1 before.
Trade RouteTrash before producing coins.
Trader"When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand, to exchange the card for a Silver."

Edit 1: Added/Updated Haggler, Hermit, Hoard, Mint, Peddler, and Trader
Edit 2: Reprased general stop-moving rule.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 10:01:25 am by flynd »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 06:21:51 pm »
+1

Stop-moving - An effect can't move a card that has already been moved from the expected location.

Slight correction. This doesn’t only apply to cards that have already moved; but also cards that simply aren’t where they are expected to be. Such as cards which are played from the supply and stay in the supply.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 09:02:31 pm »
+3

This isn't quite right. On-buy effects technically happen at the same time they always have; there just aren't any on-buy effects anymore.

(Personally I think "on-buy effects happen when gaining" probably would have been a simpler way to handle it, but I'm not Donald X.)

flynd

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 03:34:53 am »

Stop-moving - An effect can't move a card that has already been moved from the expected location.

Slight correction. This doesn’t only apply to cards that have already moved; but also cards that simply aren’t where they are expected to be. Such as cards which are played from the supply and stay in the supply.

Good point, I forgot about that. But are there any such effects that doesn't include the wording "leaving it there" to explicitly state that the card can't be moved?

This isn't quite right. On-buy effects technically happen at the same time they always have; there just aren't any on-buy effects anymore.

(Personally I think "on-buy effects happen when gaining" probably would have been a simpler way to handle it, but I'm not Donald X.)

Technically yes, but shouldn't the result be the same? My idea here was that by using this phrasing I don't need to list individual cards like Haggler that changed from "buying" to "gaining a card you bought".
However, I realize now that it will actually be different since buying a card that isn't gained (due to exchanging or trashing it) would trigger the effect before but not now. So I still need to include the new phrasing for Haggler and whichever other card this mattered for.

flynd

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 05:42:17 am »

Technically yes, but shouldn't the result be the same? My idea here was that by using this phrasing I don't need to list individual cards like Haggler that changed from "buying" to "gaining a card you bought".
However, I realize now that it will actually be different since buying a card that isn't gained (due to exchanging or trashing it) would trigger the effect before but not now. So I still need to include the new phrasing for Haggler and whichever other card this mattered for.

I've updated the post include Haggler and Hoard changing "when you buy X" to "when you gain X, if you bought it".

The replaced cards with on-buy triggers that lacks an official updated text that I could find are Embargo, Noble Brigand, and Talisman. I'm guessing Embargo and maybe Talisman would be too strong if "buy" is simply changed to "gain" so unless an official update for these are made I think it's best to continuing playing with them as they are except for resolving the on-buy effects simultaneous with on-gain, so I'll leave that as a general rule change.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 07:18:34 am »

Good point, I forgot about that. But are there any such effects that doesn't include the wording "leaving it there" to explicitly state that the card can't be moved?

The point is that after the card has not been moved to play, the stop moving rule e.g. prevents it from trashing itself — not because it was already moved away from play, but because it got never moved there in the first place.

If an effect did tell you to play a card from the supply without instructing you to leave it there, the card would get moved into play (which is why no effect does that).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 11:39:37 pm »

"Leaving it there" in itself doesn't prevent a card from being moved after it's been played. It only prevents the card from going from the supply to the in-play area. It's the stop moving rule that prevents it from moving again after that.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 12:19:19 pm »

The very first lose-track scenario! Throne Room + Mining Village. You trash MV the first time you play it. Then TR fails to move it to play; this is because the MV has moved. You then resolve the MV a second time. You choose to trash it, moving it to trash, which fails, but not because it has moved; the MV is just trying to trash itself from play but it's not there; it has not moved since it started resolving.

Btw, you can check out my rules document, page 25, for functionally changed cards.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 12:25:50 pm by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 12:11:22 pm »

The very first lose-track scenario! Throne Room + Mining Village. You trash MV the first time you play it. Then TR fails to move it to play; this is because the MV has moved. You then resolve the MV a second time. You choose to trash it, moving it to trash, which fails, but not because it has moved; the MV is just trying to trash itself from play but it's not there; it has not moved since it started resolving.

Btw, you can check out my rules document, page 25, for functionally changed cards.

I always had the impression that 2 separate rules both stopped second MV from giving you money, both the lose-track rule exactly as you describe it, and a rule that says that something can't be trashed if it's already in the trash. Does that second rule exist at all?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 01:53:18 pm »
+1

I always had the impression that 2 separate rules both stopped second MV from giving you money, both the lose-track rule exactly as you describe it, and a rule that says that something can't be trashed if it's already in the trash. Does that second rule exist at all?

It does, and you're right. If I remember correctly, when Donald was asked about this scenario, he actually first cited the second rule. He cited the lose-track rule when the scenario was modified so that the MV is set aside by Possession after being trashed. In that case the second rule doesn't apply at all.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.407 seconds with 21 queries.