Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #156: When Gain  (Read 4972 times)

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #156: When Gain
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 02:42:18 am »
+3

My submission: Books. I've had the above-the-line effect in mind for a while, and while $6 seems right (comparing to Sunken Treasure), I would hardly ever get it at that price. It needed something, and this week's prompt gave me an idea to make the card much more interesting.

Edited this to prevent it from playing itself on-gain.

Books • $6 • Treasure
Gain an Action card.
-
When you gain this, look through your discard pile. You may play an Action or Treasure card other than this from it.

F.A.Q.: When gaining a Books, you can play a different Books from your discard, just not the one you just gained.

Old version:

Books • $6 • Treasure
Gain an Action card.
-
When you gain this, look through your discard pile. You may play an Action or Treasure card from it.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:41:41 am by Dubdubdubdub »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 10:45:54 am »

As written, Books can play itself on-gain (just like Inn which can reshuffle itself on gain).

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 12:00:07 pm »

Thanks, I will patch that then. Think I should go for a ‘set this aside’ construction? Those usually get so wordy. But using ‘other that this’ seems confusing to me; you should be able to play another Books.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 01:03:44 pm »

Thanks, I will patch that then. Think I should go for a ‘set this aside’ construction? Those usually get so wordy. But using ‘other that this’ seems confusing to me; you should be able to play another Books.

I think "other than this" makes clear that you only can't play the copy you just gained. When a card says "this" it always (as far as I can tell) means that copy of that card.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2022, 01:16:30 pm »
+4

My Submission:

Lumberjack • $4 • Action
+$2
Choose one: +1 Action; or +1 Buy; or once this turn, when you gain a Lumberjack, you may play it.

My submission is Lumberjack. It's a take on Woodcutter, providing $2 and one of three bonuses: it can either be non-terminal, provide +Buy, or provide an effect like Sailor, but only for other copies of Lumberjack. Like with Sailor, it's cumulative, so if you play two Lumberjacks (and select the 3rd choice for each), you can play up to two gained Lumberjacks that turn (but you can't play one Lumberjack you gained twice). And since the Lumberjack itself can provide a +Buy, it effectively lets you get a Lumberjack for $2 without costing you a buy.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 01:30:51 pm »

Adding an "on your turn" clause should fix those edge cases.

Agreed, managing to trash someone else's hand when it's not their turn would be a pretty horrible experience for them. Have changed the card to reflect this.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2022, 02:29:58 pm »
+1

Training Grounds
Project
$6

Whenever you gain a card other than a Horse, gain a Horse.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 08:37:23 pm »

Christmas Tree: lets you gain single use treasures.

Edit: Thanks for helping me fix the images in this post :)

Gain a gift
$2 Treasure

Gifts:

My entry to be judged if the Christmas tree. Gift ideas are changeable filler.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 11:47:50 am by CaptainReklaw »

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 09:00:14 pm »
+1

It looks like you're using the normal Imgur URL for these, make sure you use the BBCode (Forums) one instead which displays just the image. Inside the image tags, it should be formatted like this: https://i.imgur.com/KoTrTxZ.png

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2022, 07:34:11 am »
+2

Gifts:

Here's the fixed version of the images.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 12:08:41 pm »
+1

Christmas Tree: lets you gain single use treasures.

Edit: Thanks for helping me fix the images in this post :)

Gain a gift
$2 Treasure

Gifts:

My entry to be judged if the Christmas tree. Gift ideas are changeable filler.
Shouldn't all +1 Action, +1 Buy "ect" be capitalized. Also the 5th gift should say you may return this and not move this.

jorikke

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: jorikke
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2022, 01:45:19 pm »
+1

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 01:56:35 pm »

This looks over priced. All most all Attack cards are terminal so this is really weak. Also in games with no Attack cards this does nothing.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 09:53:53 pm »
+4

Sorry to be that guy, but I'm changing my entry again.

Junk

Are you $1 short for buying what you want? Buy this. It replaces your buy and gives you $1 extra. There's a penalty, of course. You have a crappy card in your deck. You can trash it if you want in the future, but that uses up an Action you could've used for something else.

How about you workshop it? That's fine too. It grants you +$3 and a buy, but at the expense of having that crappy card again.

Messenger? Yup. Give everybody else this while you get the benefit and they don't.

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2022, 01:07:48 am »
+4

24 hour warning

Jonasssss

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonasssss
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2022, 07:06:00 am »
+7

Borough - Action - $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Borough from your hand.
-
When you gain this, gain another Borough (that doesn't come with another).
My submission is Borough, which is a cheap village as long as you can collide them. It comes with an extra copy (like Experiment) and a 12 Card pile to help with that.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2022, 09:49:57 am »
+2

Footman
Action - Duration ($3)

Either now or at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards
---
When you gain this, +1 Villager or +1 Coffer for every 2 differently named cards you have in play.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:55:23 pm by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2022, 09:25:54 pm »
+5

I know I'm a day late posting this but:

Contest Closed for Submissions

I've listed all entries in the OP. Please let me know if I am missing your submission or its latest iteration.

Results will be posted by end of day tomorrow.

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2022, 11:58:33 pm »
+7

WDC #156: When Gain

Commentary & Results

Thanks everyone for the submissions, there were some really great entries and I enjoyed seeing the many different directions people went with this one.

OPs are linked, shortlisted entries are bolded, enjoy!

Healer by Gubump
A clean and simple terminal Silver that can trash from hand when you gain a card. A lot of similarities to Priest which I think is the more interesting card usually with its $2 bonus for later trashes, but I like Healer a lot too. It's nice you don't have to trash right away, which often lets you play out the rest of your hand and trash when gaining cards in your Buy phase. Obviously plays nice with gainers, +Buy, and other when-gains. Nice one. 

Junk by kru5h
A new take on Borrow and Desperation, but as a card, which becomes temporary junk (literally). Essentially, this can net you an extra +$1 or +$3 depending on if you buy it or just gained it. The "first time" clause is key here to prevent autopiles. Generally, I feel like this idea is best suited to an Event after all rather than dedicating a pile of 10 cards to it. That said, it does get a lot more interesting with gainers like Workshop especially, as that's something Borrow/Desperation can't do.

Gardener by Joxeft
Exiling VP on-gain is always the dream, right, though I think this is way too strong, and it's feels weird that it's a cantrip that you only actually need one of to get the full effect. I think this would be much more interesting if the VP exile only worked on one VP card (with a "once this turn" clause) which would require players to buy multiples if they planned on buying multiple VP cards a turn. Making it terminal with a different bonus could make for a more interesting card as well--as is, Gardener just feels too automatic. 

Pawn Shop by Builder_Roberts' brother
You can tell your brother I like this card and we'd love to see him join the forums for more contests! The on-gain Salvager which is something I've never seen before and works brilliantly as both a Copper/Estate trasher but also as late game payload. You'll need a gainer or +Buy to make it work, which the on-play nicely provides. I don't totally understand the on-play discard which feels unnecessary and weakens this card significantly, I think Woodcutter would have been fine, although that would be quite similar to the new Nomads. All that to say, I like it. 

Barrows by MochaMoka
I've never gotten the Farmland hate, it's a narrow card to be sure, but I still think it's a really interesting VP card that's different from most alt-VP, and the new errata makes it even better. Barrows has definitely got Farmland vibes, but they actually play pretty differently, since this often requires you to trash an engine piece for the Duchy gain, and can't mill copies of itself (it can also trash a stray Curse or Copper). Barrows can truly function as a Province alternative for the engine player trying to catch up. My one suggestion is that 4VP feels like a lot for $6 especially alongside the Duchy gain, perhaps 3VP (or maybe even 2VP though that might be too close to Farmland) might be a bit more balanced, but even still, this is a really neat one.

Incredible Workshop by fika monster
Missed opportunity to call this "Impcredible Workshop" haha. This isn't quite a traditional on-gain effect, but I'll take it nonetheless. It's a pretty powerful gain and play, and can often be a stronger Sculptor, though it loses its luster the later in your turn you play it, unless there's a wide variety of cards you want to gain. Also like Sculptor, gain Silver, +$2 is a strong base option, though you don't get the Villager. 

Hound by X-tra
Hound's on-play is fine if a little boring, but of course it's the wacky below-line that makes it so interesting. Games with Hound have a sort of permanent Swamp Hag on all non-Action cards unless you have a Hound in your hand. It's really nice that Curse tokens don't junk your deck, but the negative VP sure hurts, and makes you think twice about opening Silver (Hound can conveniently go get your Silver for you instead). The tricky thing is you'll have to keep at least one dead Hound around that you don't play until your Buy phase if you want to avoid the Curse tokens (and you can always avoid by just buying more Actions). There's definitely going to be boards where your deck simply can't support the necessary Hounds to stop the tokens once you start greening, but I think Hound definitely creates plenty of unique decisions to think about in most games. Bonus points for another blue dog.

Trust by spineflu
Pouch on play, with an overpay effect that converts $ to cards, similar to Storyteller. I haven't yet seen a full, officially updated Guilds rulebook that talks through the new Overpay rules as of last week's errata, but as of yet, all official Overpay cards only allow overpaying when paying for a card during your Buy phase. Trust, as currently worded, seems to allow players to overpay when gaining it which is a bit confusing and I'm not totally sure if that actually works within the official overpay mechanic rules. Setting that aside though, I think on-gain Storyteller is definitely a neat idea worth exploring, however it's going to be tough to get this to work in a lot of situations, since you don't want +Cards in your Buy phase (rendering overpaying when you Buy it useless), and you have to have virtual money (unless this card's overpay rules allow you to play treasures when you gain it with e.g. Workshop?) in order to take advantage of the overpay ability. I think Trust needs some work on these issues, I likely overpay isn't the best implementation for this mechanic, and just a straight +Cards on-gain (or variable based on some condition), might be better. Arguably, a similar convert coins to cards idea already exists in Expedition.

County by mandicoa15
A cheap Province that trashes your hand, sort of like a big, mandatory Cemetery. This is a weird one in that it's an expensive but powerful trasher, so you want to try and spike $6 early (sort of like Mint or Forge), but it's also got a big enough amount of points that you're also thinking about it for the endgame, if the Kingdom allows for it. It's tricky though, especially once you start greening as you'll need a way to get Provinces and other Counties out of your hand so they don't get trashed by County gains. Many boards won't allow for this, but it sure will feel badass when you can build an engine that can consistently gain these without too much damage.

Silverbug by Augie279
Not sure how this small metal insect became a project, but that's okay! So this is a fascinating one, it's basically a permanent Coppersmith, but uh, for Silvers, turning your Silvers into Golds, but at the cost of turning your Golds into Silvers. Additionally, it works on gain, which effectively makes Silver cost $2 when you have this and Golds cost $7 (plus a money bonus or penalty for gainers). Obviously this likes Silver gainers (Masterpiece, Jack, Trader, Delve, and now Weaver all look REAL good with this) and hates Gold gainers, but even apart from those Silver combos, Silverbug seems like a potent Money enabler buy allowing players to forgo Gold entirely as payload. Hitting $7 is admittedly tough, but once they do, Silver flooding becomes a very viable strategy. There's some real Way of Chameleon vibes here, I like it!

Flea Market by NoMoreFun
A $2 Necropolis that can turn itself into Silver and play itself on gain. I like that this creates an alternate way to gain Silvers for only $2 (like Delve as you mentioned). The on-gain is a bit sad when there are no gainers, but it is really neat that these can get you some +Actions mid-turn and then immediately turn into payload you can draw later.

Seamstress by Xen3k
I don't like how small the text is here, but I like the idea, and it feels like there's maybe some ways to tighten it up and use a slightly larger font. It reminds me a bit of Hamlet, though it hurts that it doesn't draw unless you discard. The on-gain Anvil is cool, but wouldn't "gain a card costing up to $4 other than Seamstress" be simpler than the "$1 or $2 more?" More flexibility seems better, so long as you don't allow Seamstress gaining.

Books by Dubdubdubdub
A big Workshop Treasure that can gain any Action, nice. It's similar to Sunken Treasure, but without the in-play restriction. $6 is a lot though, and this becomes much less helpful than Gold once you start greening. The on-gain lets you play an Action or Treasure from your discard which can be really helpful, though it's dependent on A) having a discard pile, and B) having things worth playing in your Buy phase (since most games won't have ways to gain this in your Action phase). Without both of these, the on-gain won't be super helpful. One small wording thing, you no longer need to say "look through your discard pile" (see new Inn), and you can instead use a simpler "When you gain this, you may play an Action or Treasure from your discard pile other than this."

Lumberjack by emtzalex
A Woodcutter variant that can be played as a non-terminal Silver, a straight Woodcutter, or +$2 and play the next Lumberjack you gain for free. The flexibility to keep these nonterminal or get the +Buy is nice, though I think the 3rd option will be less useful than it seems. It will work with gainers, but triggering after buying often won't net much for the player. The bigger issue here is this also feels similar to Nomads which I feel accomplishes what this is trying to do in a more elegant way.

Training Grounds by xyz123
Wow, that is a lotta Horses! It's a neat idea, a sort of permanent Livery, but like Livery, I might suggest putting a cost restriction on it (e.g. When you gain a card costing $4 or more), which would also eliminate the need for the "other than Horse" clause. Even still, I worry this will slow games a bit (gaining Horses is a lot slower than just taking a Villager or Coffer as with Academy or Guildhall). I could be wrong though, and especially with a cost restriction, it may be okay.

Christmas Tree by CaptainReklaw
A $2 cost Treasure that gains Gifts which are a randomized pile of non-supply, one-shot Treasures (I'm assuming these are supposed to be non-supply cards). In some ways, we sort of already have Gifts in the form of Spoils, which Gifts of course offer more variety, but that's at least a helpful frame for judging the strength of Christmas Tree. At $2, it doesn't provide any economy or benefit when you play it aside from the Gift gain, which feels right in terms of cost--a Treasure that just said "Gain a Spoils" could probably cost $2. I think it's okay, something you'd pick up for a spare Buy I suppose, but a bit boring with no other bonus attached to it. As for the Gifts themselves, most seem fine, some need some wording work (the discard VP cards one in particular, needs a from your hand and a reveal clause somewhere, etc. 

Bribe by jorikke
A $5 Treasure that gives $ depending on how many Attacks you have in play, sort of like Soldier, along with an on-gain that lets you get one of these for free when you gain an Attack. The biggest issue is how board dependent this is. Some games, you get Minion or Urchin or other ways to play a bunch of Attacks each turn and these become insane payload, and other games there are literally no attacks and this does nothing. I would recommend making this part of a split pile or making the card itself an Attack to ensure there's some way it can actually do something.

Burough by Jonasssss
A simple cantrip that can chain copies of itself for a Lost City effect and conveniently comes in pairs like Port. As with Port, winning the split is more lopsided (since it's 8 to 4 instead of 6-4) which I don't love about Port either, but a larger pile makes sense anyway with the on-gain. It feels real bad to not collide them, but they thankfully don't hurt your deck either. Clean and simple card, not a lot else to say about it!

Footman by AJL828
Choice of +2 Cards now, or next turn, and then the when-gain can get you a pile of Villagers or Coffers if you have a bunch of differently named cards. One question: can you get some of each? Like if I have Village, Smithy, Copper, and Silver in play, can I gain this and get +1 Villager and +1 Coffers? Either way, seems like an okay card, a sort of mini-Barge without the Buy. The Villagers/Coffers are certainly helpful, and with some support you can bring in a nice haul. 

Honorable Mentions: Healer by Gubump, Pawn Shop by Builder_Roberts' brother, Barrows by MochaMoka, Hound by X-tra, Flea Market by NoMoreFun

Runner Up: County by Mandicoa15

WINNER: Silverbug by Augie279

Congrats to Augie279 and thanks everyone for participating!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2022, 08:49:53 am »
+4

I always knew that silver was superior to gold

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2022, 02:11:25 am »
+1

Oh hey I won this, nice
they/them
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.